Great Novellas discussion

The Divinity Student by Michael Cisco

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is one of the best things I've ever read. Cisco is, quite simply, a bona fide master of surreal fiction.

I want to reread this soon, and it would be very cool if others joined in, so that we may discuss its bizarre narrative, atmosphere, and world.

If you are interested, I suggest buying this version:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19...

It is the cheapest way to obtain the book, and this collection also includes the sequel.

message 2: by Nancy (last edited Jan 29, 2009 09:48AM) (new)

Nancy I just ordered the collection and have a couple of library books to get through.

When were you thinking of starting the discussion? Late February should work well for me.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Whenever people have the book and time.

No rush.

message 4: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) D;
Would you consider this bizzaro fiction?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know enough of bizzaro fiction to comment.

I'd say it is more surreal than anything, though.

Imagine David Lynch, Mamoru Oshii, and Takashi Miike direction a Vampire Hunter D movie with art by Jean Giraud.

message 6: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) sounds good.

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex  | 1 comments I'm going to read it almost exactly a year on ;)

Just waiting for my copy to arrive...

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome. Hope you dig it. Let me know when you start, I'd like to read it again.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 11 comments I own this book--bought from Cisco at a reader con years ago--and I haven't read it yet...I must!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Cisco is my favorite living author. His newest novel, The Great Lover, is now my all-time favorite book; it knocked The Divinity Student from that position.

We're very lucky to be living while Cisco is writing.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 11 comments can you say what about his writing, novels, makes you admire him so?

I haven't read him yet. I will.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 11 comments Okay, I just read your review (link posted above).

I'm not usually a fan of bizarro fiction, like some slipstream... wonder if I will like it/him.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I wouldn't classify this as bizarro, but it is weird and bizarre. It's more literary horror/fantasy, with dashes of post-modernism and experimental prose. His stories are very romantic, and surreal.

He's being called the modern day, American Kafka, and that might be accurate.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited May 18, 2011 05:37PM) (new)

"People must hurt each other, as inevitably as they breathe. Nothing can stop it. It's not enough to accept it. Accepting it is not enough, like sighing resignedly and putting on an attitude of long-suffering. Don't get to be too good at protecting yourself. You've got to be ripped to pieces for the one you love, again and again. That doesn't prove anything but love, and its entitlements are a frailty that can't be held. But you will live even in that hell. The fire that hurts you gives off light like any other fire, that illuminates beautiful things, and is beautiful itself."

The Great Lover, Michael Cisco

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 11 comments okay, thanks.