Mystery Lovers! discussion

Random Chats > Question for Those Who have read Kinsey Millhone and Stephanie Plum Books

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (mollytiff) | 4 comments I am about to finish the alphabet series and then start on Janet Evanovich books. I was wondering if someone can describe some of the differences between Kinsey and Stephanie and in how the books are written so I know what to expect. Please don't give anything big away, I'm just trying to get an idea as to how their personalities differ and their different methods of snooping.

message 2: by Barbara H (new)

Barbara H (barbhh) | 95 comments I can't reply adequately regarding Stephanie Plum, but I have read all of the Kinsey Millhone series. She is a gutsy, no-nonsense type of person and feels real. Of course her snooping often gets her into trouble. I look forward to each book by Sue Grafton.I have read one or two of Evanovich's books, but her writing doesn't appeal to me very much.

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (mollytiff) | 4 comments Thanks. I'm just curious as to the difference in the characters. I love Kinsey but I hear a lot of great things about Stephanie.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Hi Tiffany--I havent read the alphabet series, but loved stephanie plum!! She's funny, sarcastic, and ironic, definitely jersey attitude. She's a very entertaining read! If you like stephanie plum you may also like kyras davis' series about sophie catz...

message 5: by Vicki (last edited Jan 29, 2009 09:16PM) (new)

Vicki | 11 comments I read both authors. To me Plum books are funny people doing funny things. The joy in reading the book is the anticipation of the next trouble one of the many characters will cause Stephanie. Grandma Mazur and LuLu keep things stirred up.

To quote Barbara about Kinsey Milhone...She is a gutsy, no-nonsense type of person and feels real.
I can not say it any better than that.

message 6: by Gail (new)

Gail Thought the Grafton books much more serious, or perhaps realistic would be a way to put it, than the Evanovich books. The E. books have a certain sameness to them, so that if you read a lot of them one after the other, a certain boredom may set in. She is very, very funny in small doses, though. A really lightweight, very modern, fun series. The characters, especially Granma Mazur, are amusing.

message 7: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (mollytiff) | 4 comments Are the mysteries in the Evanovich series easy to figure out?

message 8: by Gail (new)

Gail Not really. I've been surprised several times, and she doesn't cheat on her plots, either, by not giving the reader full information...which is not to say that Grafton does--but some other authors do. I wouldn't call them classic puzzlers, though; if that's what you like, I wouldn't recommend her. I find in the Evanovich works that the reader has so much fun with the characters that the plots almost become secondary. It all depends on what you're in the mood for on any particular day.

message 9: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lsneal) | 4 comments Yes, the Evanovich series has a lot of slapstick in it, sometimes to the point where it interferes with the story for me. I definitely laugh out loud at least once at something in the Plum books, but I also find myself sighing with exasperation as she screws up catching the same person for the umpteenth time because she forgot her gun...or her handcuffs...or some other elemental thing...for the umpteenth time. There is definitely humor in the Grafton series, but it's more grounded in reality.

I find the Evanovich mysteries pretty easy to figure out, and almost more of an excuse for the characters to run around and do crazy things than the main point of the story, if that makes sense. They can be fun books, but definitely more of "fluffy" read than the Grafton series.

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (mollytiff) | 4 comments Simone wrote: "Yes, the Evanovich series has a lot of slapstick in it, sometimes to the point where it interferes with the story for me. I definitely laugh out loud at least once at something in the Plum books, ..."

Thank you so much!

message 11: by Mysterious (new)

Mysterious | 16 comments Vicki wrote: "I read both authors. To me Plum books are funny people doing funny things. The joy in reading the book is the anticipation of the next trouble one of the many characters will cause Stephanie. Grandma Mazur and LuLu keep things stirred up.

To quote Barbara about Kinsey Milhone...She is a gutsy, no-nonsense type of person and feels real.
I can not say it any better than that. "

Definitely different characters ! Evanovich has obvious laughs. Grafton's Kinsey Milhone is a character who lives in the 1980's, all her notes on investigations are typed, she thinks nothing of cutting her hair with what ever is handy. She makes one lone black dress and a pair of pantyhose tossed in the back of her car, work for any occasion that requires she "dresses up"

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 11 comments Kinsey mostly knows what she's doing and Stephanie is pretty much just trying to get through life..... There is a lot more "extra" story in the Plum books than there is real mystery, but they're fun for sure.

message 13: by Kathy (last edited Feb 17, 2009 03:15PM) (new)

Kathy | 9 comments I have read all of Grafton's books and loved every one of them. I recently tried to read Evanovich. I made it through one (very slowly) and didn't really like it. It made me laugh sometimes but so does Kinsey. I couldn't make it through the second Plum book.

I thought that Evanovich was also trying to play off the fame of the alphabet series because there are many similarities and Grafton started first. I just didn't think that Plum was exciting. Frankly, I don't think I'll ever read another Evanovich book.

message 14: by Barbara H (last edited Feb 17, 2009 04:26PM) (new)

Barbara H (barbhh) | 95 comments As you can probably see from my earlier comment, I totally agree with you. I have gotten quite fond of Kinsey! She's human, not perfect, makes errors and makes no pretenses, but she's clever.

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments Barbara wrote: "As you can probably see from my earlier comment, I totally agree with you. I have gotten quite fond of Kinsey! She's human, not perfect, makes errors and makes no pretenses, but she's clever."

Absolutely, I would hire Kinsey any day.

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz (dijonnaise) | 21 comments I read Evanovich's One for the Money, and though I'm not sure I can judge based on that book alone, I definitely prefer Kinsey Milhone as a character and Sue Grafton as a writer. There are similarities as others have pointed out, but I think the characters and situations have more color in Grafton's books. To be honest, I didn't feel like reading another Stephanie Plum book after the first; with the alphabet mysteries I devoured one after another.

message 17: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 65 comments Love Stephanie...Lula is the best and Gramma Mauzer is a stitch...and Ranger!!!!I enjoy the Milhone series, too, but not laugh out loud!!! Knsey is so capable and smart...Stephanie is incapable and lucky...

message 18: by Barbara H (last edited Feb 23, 2009 04:02PM) (new)

Barbara H (barbhh) | 95 comments Liz wrote: "I read Evanovich's One for the Money, and though I'm not sure I can judge based on that book alone, I definitely prefer Kinsey Milhone as a character and Sue Grafton as a writer. There are similari..."

I agree. Evanovich did not capture my interest in pursuing more of her books.

Grafton's characters are all so colorful, each with his/her own quirks, capabilities, or failings. I don't know how she keeps up this pace of grinding out one enjoyable novel after another.What do you suppose she will do when she completes "Z"?

message 19: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 65 comments I find it just a little disconcerting that one book takes place right after another...so she is always in the 80's or 90's...but always enjoy her.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments Mary Todd wrote: "I find it just a little disconcerting that one book takes place right after another...so she is always in the 80's or 90's...but always enjoy her."

It keeps the flow going. Since she started writing in the 80s she can't very well keep the stories updated because then Kinsey would be like 60 years old. I like that she she carries over events into the next book. If Kinsey gets shot in the leg in one book, chances are she will be on crutches in the next book. It makes it fun and more true to life.

message 21: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 28 comments Grafton's books are more realistic and intense. Evanovitch is more humorous; I personally did not like her as well.

message 22: by *Nan* (new)

*Nan* (nan4471) I prefer the Grafton books.

Vicki - I Love Reading (httpswwwfacebookcommybookblog) ive only read A so far in the sue grafton books,
the janet evanovich i've read 1 2 and 3

i'd say so far, stephanie plum is kind of not as serious, more fun read.
i'm sure you'll enjoy them , i have them all just not got round to reading them yet,.lol and people keep recommending different authors on here, i have a list as long as my arm
i love reading

message 24: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Hughes | 1 comments Its apples and oranges, or maybe alphabests and numbers. No comparison but both great authors of an entirely different ilk.

message 25: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 28 comments I have not read any Grafton books, but I can say that I totally LOVE Evanovich's. I think from the chatting they are apples and oranges.

Here are a few other authors to check out that are similar to Janet:

Nancy Martin - The Blackbird Sister
Joanne Fluke - Hannah Swensen
Diane Mott Davidson - Goldy
Denise Swanson - Scumble River Mysteries

message 26: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 65 comments Joan Hess's Maggody series is hilarious!

message 27: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 97 comments Mary Todd wrote: "Joan Hess's Maggody series is hilarious!"

I totally agree. I finished reading Damsels in Distress a month or so ago. Love those characters!

message 28: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (allreadybooked) I too Love Joan Hess's Maggody series, she is coming out with a new this summer called "Merry Wives of Maggody" I can't wait.

message 29: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 65 comments Glad to know that! YOu remember Arly was pregnant at the end of the last one!

message 30: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (allreadybooked) No, I forgot about that. This will be interesting.

message 31: by Becca (new)

Becca (becca2) | 19 comments I prefer Joan Hess' Claire Malloy series. They are a hoot, although she uses the words "mendacious" and "distaff" all too frequently.

message 32: by Lori (new)

Lori This may sound stupid, but I can't figure out what the first Maggody series book is--can someone help??

message 33: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (allreadybooked) Hey Lori,

"Malice in Maggody" released in 1987 is the 1st in series.

Thanks,

Sheryl

message 34: by Liz (new)

Liz (dijonnaise) | 21 comments So Tiffany, what did you think after reading Janet Evanovich? (Assuming you didn't get sidetracked but if you did were they good?!)