You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > What would you call Reader's Block?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Reason I am asking is because I have not read properly for a while. I want to read, but just can't sit down anymore and read. Wondered what everyone's take was on this. I know I have been on here posting, but I just can't seem to pick up a book and read.

message 2: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I had that last week. Just didn't pick a book up at all. I don't know why, I was really busy but normally I will still make time. Broke the pattern on Monday and now I'm back to normal!

message 3: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Maybe Goodreads is the problem? Too much time posting and not enough time to read? LOL

Seriously though, I find it waxes and wanes, both at a daily level (depending how tired and/or busy I am) and at a longer term level, according to the stage in my life.

To get back into it, I'd suggest reading something quite short and light - so you can feel you're progressing through it at a reasonable rate, or else a collection of short stories. I'm not sure what to suggest though, as I don't know who you like.

Personally, I like reading in the bath (you have to be careful to stay awake though, lest you drop the book), as I can shut myself in, in my own, or the author's world.

If I try to read in bed, I tend to nod off.

message 4: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I've not been around on the site much, cos of a few family & medical problems.

message 5: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Oh, I'm sorry. I hope things improve soon.

In which case, as well as picking something short and light, I'd try to pick something a little humorous to get back in the habit...

What sort of books and authors do you like?

message 6: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Crime & Thriller novels lol. Which is why I am finding it hard, Might try Chicklit for a while.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments Whenever I get that way I make sure to read something light and frothy that sucks you in without having to try.

message 8: by Allison (new)

Allison (theallisonnelson) | 27 comments I do that too - try to pick up a Kristin Hannah or Jane Green book in between my heavier reading!

message 9: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments PG Wodehouse - one of the Blandings novels such as Something Fresh, Heavy Weather or Summer Lightning? Not exactly crime and thriller, but complex (if contrived) plotting, some petty crime, humour and wonderful metaphors. (It doesn't much matter if you don't read them in the "right" order).

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 52 comments This happens to me, too. And I do just what C F S R and Heather suggested: read something light or something different from what you normally read. If you're going to try chick lit I've heard that a lot of people like Meg Cabot. I've never read anything by her before but she does seem rather popular.

message 11: by Mads (new)

Mads I second the lighthearted recommendation. I've been through this many, many, many times, and reading something very short helps me feel like I've accomplished more than I have been in the previous weeks. I'm kind of in the cycle now: after reading The Scarlet Letter, I attempted to finish The Hunt for Red October, both heavy reads for me. But I've put Red October on hold so I can read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and that's helping me to want to read a little bit more.

I used to read Meg Cabot (specifically the Princess Diaries) to get out of this, and re-read books one through eight around this time last year. She annoys me a bit, though; she tends to have characters of the same voice (which I can only assume is her own voice) and she kind of pushes opinions that I don't necessarily agree with. Her books are nice and fluffy once in a while, when I'm looking for something superficial, but I avoid her if I'm not in the mood to be (however indirectly) bashed for my beliefs. I wouldn't normally recommend her, but she's good for getting out of reader's block.

I also like to re-read my favorite books or series, and even if I don't finish them, it helps get me out of my slump. I especially suggest children's books, even if they're under 100 pages and are first-grade level reading. They're pretty much stress-free.

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracey1970) I tend to go through months or weeks when I can't 'get into' any book I pick up. That includes ones that I have been waiting to read for a long while. I usually try a different genre or a new author!

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) I am going through this very thing right now. I have tons of books that I own and have not read.... everyone I pick up, I set right back down.... just not able to get into any of them! It drives me insane!

message 14: by PollyPips (new)

PollyPips | 4 comments I think everyone has times like this where you just cant seem to concentrate on anything let alone a book. When this happens to me i tend to read mags instead. Eventually the urge to pick up a book returns

message 15: by Epee (new)

Epee (epers) | 28 comments Sometimes I can't read at all. I read and reread pages but they don't 'stick'. Sooner or later I see a book I really want to read and then I'm ok again.