Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

Author Books > 110 Reviews and counting

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (last edited Mar 01, 2009 06:14PM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 71 comments Mod
The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (Fantasy Adventure)
ISBN: 978-0980003437 / 0980003431 (Aspirations Media Inc, Oct 2008)
Previews: Author's Book Trailer | Publisher's Book Trailer | Sample Chapter
Links: Website | Blog | GoodReads Group | Author Profile | Book Page | Giveaway
Buy: Amazon | Borders | Barnes & Noble | Comparison Shop | Signed Copy

They killed the king. They pinned it on two men. They chose poorly.
Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles until they become the unwitting scapegoats in a plot to murder the king. Sentenced to death, they have only one way out…and so begins this epic tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and legend. The writing style focuses on characters and plot rather than verbose world building. This first book of the Riyria Revelations is a heroic adventure written for adult readers yet suitable for those 13 and older.

AWARDS
2008 ReaderViews Literary Award Finalist
2008 Fantasy Book Critic Notable Indie
2008 Adventure Writers Competition, 5th place
2007 Foreword Magazine Book of the Year Finalist for Fantasy

SAMPLE REVIEWS (All Reviews)
"The Crown Conspiracy is right up my alley, traditional fantasy, "good" bad guys, a large dose of humor, lots of character development and plenty of surprises."Fantasy Debut

"Michael J. Sullivan has written a book I will read over and over again and it most definitely will always reside on my favorite’s shelf."ReaderViews

"There is so many layers to this story that to explain it in a few words is nigh impossible."Front Street Reviews

"The Crown Conspiracy is great fun and a romp end to end...Highly recommended and another positive surprise for 2008."Fantasy Book Critic

"A fast paced and riveting fantasy, "The Crown Conspiracy" is well worth reading." Midwest Book Review

ABOUT THE SERIES
Instead of a string of sequels, The Riyria Revelations is a six-book fantasy series conceived as a single epic tale divided into individual episodes. All were written before the first was released so that plot elements are intertwined, yet each is self-contained and can be read independently from each other. With this series you will not be held hostage to read the next one--you will simply want to. Coming in April 2009, the second book entitled Avempartha is available for pre-order now from Amazon.com.

The Crown Conspiracy Cover

message 2: by Robin (new)

When I first posted this I had like 57 reviews - now we are over 110 !! So I edited the post above and added some of the new reviews from FrontStreet, Fantasy Debut, and ReaderViews.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 52 comments Yeah...but my review was one of the first ones...dances around with Robin at the happy news :]

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine | 10 comments Sounds like a great read, will have to add it to my list. Thanks Robin
Blessings CJ

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Russell (vigorio) | 14 comments I received a contract yesterday from Publish America for my debut novel which is part of a trilogy (or more). Since this is my first dealings with publishing I am nervous. Has anyone dealt with this publisher and what was the outcome? Is there an industry standard for royalties and length of contract?

message 6: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 48 comments I read a lot about PublishAmerica when I was still considering a POD outfit. My research turned up a very mixed bag. Some people had good experiences while others had terrible ones. My advice is to just go into this with your eyes wide open. Expect to have to do all your own promotions. There is an industry standard for royalties, but that's for traditional publishing contracts, not POD contracts. I don't know what kind of standards, if any, the POD industry has.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Rebecca wrote: "I received a contract yesterday from Publish America for my debut novel which is part of a trilogy (or more). Since this is my first dealings with publishing I am nervous. Has anyone dealt with t..."

OMG --- I hope I'm not too late DON'T SIGN WITH PA!!

Please read my post on this organization on my blog before signing anything....http://write2publish.blogspot.com/200...

There are some serious reasons you don't want to consider them.

message 8: by Robin (new)

Leslie wrote: "I read a lot about PublishAmerica when I was still considering a POD outfit. My research turned up a very mixed bag. Some people had good experiences while others had terrible ones. My advice is to..."

The problem with PA is not that it is POD - the problem is they price their books WAY ABOVE market value. I know WAY too many people who were burned by them. I cringe whenever I hear someone considering them.