Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

Writing and Publishing > The most frustrating part of writing

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (last edited Jan 28, 2009 09:52PM) (new)

Paul | 4 comments I think the most frustrating part of the entire publishing experience has been the limbo experience from the time your book comes out until you get some feedback. I don't know how other publishers work, but mine does not give up to date sales. You have to wait until after the month. My book, Dark Lord Rising, has only been out for a month and I haven't gotten any independent feedback or any sales figures. The wait is driving me crazy. More than the sales, I want to hear from someone that has read the book that is not my friend or relative.

message 2: by Leslie Ann (last edited Jan 29, 2009 04:42PM) (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 48 comments I know how you feel, Paul! Waiting for that first bit of feedback is nerve-racking, but oh, the rush when you at last get an e-mail from a stranger telling you how much they loved your book, or you see that first favorable review on Amazon! Of course, there's the reverse as well; it's a kick in the gut when you have to endure your first bad review, and there will those as well.

Hang in there!

Leslie Ann
author of Griffin's Daughter and Griffin's Shadow

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 8 comments My book has been out since October, my second is due out in just a little more than a month and I still haven't a clue how it is doing financially. Legally the publisher isn't required to inform me, (or pay me royalties,) until May.

I took to keeping a spreadsheet of every person I personally sold a book to just to get some idea of at least how many I sold, when and where.

Reviews are always interesting. One person will hate something, and another will love the very same thing, so don't sweat the first bad review. Although Leslie is right it is a shock to the system to read a really nasty review. If it comes early, before you've had many good responses, it can really rock you and ruin several days.

Good luck,

Michael J. Sullivan