Harry Potter discussion

Books > Quotes

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments What are some of your favorite quotes from the series?

message 2: by Roselyn (new)

Roselyn (roselynlee) | 70 comments WOW >.< you still remember? O-o
I finished and reread all of them 1 year ago :O

message 3: by Annalisa (last edited Jan 30, 2009 01:39PM) (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Funny I was just going to start this thread. I've been reading Sorcerer's Stone with my daughter and ran across one of my favorite sentences in the series:

There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.

From Hermione:
We could all have been killed -- or worse, expelled.

And the Dumbledore classics:
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

The trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.

Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.

The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should be therefore treated with great caution.

Love as powerful as your mother's for you leaves its own mark.... To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.

My brain surprises even me sometimes.

It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth WOW here I go

"There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it ..."

"I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me."

"He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with news...check if I'm happy..."

"Yeah, Quirrell was a great teacher. There was just that minor drawback of him having Lord Voldemort sticking out of the back of his head!"

"You can't give a Dementor the old one-two!"
"Dumbledore's man through and through ... that's right."

"Warrington's aim's so pathetic I'd be more worried if he was aiming for the person next to me."

"And they'd [the Death Eaters:] love to have me," said Harry sarcastically. "We'd be best pals if they didn't keep trying to do me in."

"SHE KILLED SIRIUS! SHE KILLED HIM -- I'LL KILL HER!"

"There's no need to call me sir Professor."

"You can try," said Harry indifferently. "But you seem cleverer than Fudge, so I'd have thought you'd have learned from his mistakes. He tried interfering at Hogwarts. You might have noticed he's not Minister anymore, but Dumbledore's still headmaster. I'd leave Dumbledore alone, if I were you."

"This is night, Diddykins. That's what we call it when it goes all dark like this."

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth oops hit post accidentally I'm still going

"Severus Snape wasn't yours," said Harry. "Snape was Dumbledore's, Dumbledore's from the moment you started hunting down my mother..."

"I want to fix that in my memory forever. Draco Malfoy, the amazing bouncing ferret..."

"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow,
Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow."

"But why's she got to go to the library?"
"Because that's what Hermione does. When in doubt, go to the library."

"If they [the Dursleys:] say yes, send Pig back with your answer pronto, and we'll come and get you at five o'clock on Sunday. If they say no, send Pig back pronto and we'll come and get you at five o'clock on Sunday anyway." [Letter to Harry:]

"I've got two Neptunes here," said Harry after a while, frowning down on his parchment, "that can't be right, can it?"
"Aaaah," said Ron, imitating Professor Trelawney's mysical whisper, "when two Neptunes appear in the sky, it is a sure sign that a midget in glasses is being born, Harry..."

"What's that?" said Ron, pointing at a large dish of some sort of shellfish stew that stood beside a large steak-and-kidney pudding.
"Bouillabaisse," said Hermione.
"Bless you," said Ron.

"IF WE DIE FOR THEM, I'LL KILL YOU HARRY!"

"To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."

"And now Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."

"He cannot kill you if you are already dead."

"Severus...please..."

“That which Voldemort does not value, he takes no trouble to comprehend. Of house-elves and children’s tales, of love, loyalty, and innocence, Voldemort knows and understands nothing. Nothing. That they all have a power beyond his own, a power beyond the reach of any magic, is a truth he has never grasped.”

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."

"I'm sorry Harry; I should have said, he [Voldemort:] would not want to immediately kill the person who reached the island."

"In fact, being - forgive me - rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes tend to be correspondingly huger."

You should have died! Died rather than betray your friends, as we would have done for you!"

"There's enough filth on my robes without you touching them."

"Reading between the lines, I’d say she thinks you’re a bit conceited, mate."

"Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for..."

He was laughing at her. "Come on, you can do better than that!" he yelled, his voice echoing around the cavernous room. The second jet of light hit him squarely on the chest.

"Dying? Not at all," said Sirius. "Quicker and easier than falling asleep."

"Keep muttering and I will be a murderer!"

I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."

"Or maybe, he's waiting to hear why you two didn't arrive on the school train."

"DON'T CALL ME A COWARD!"

"Oh, very good," interrupted Snape, his lip curling. "Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'"

"Always."

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."

"Don't worry. You're just as sane as I am."

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends."

“Daddy, look—one of the gnomes actually bit me!”

"Ron," said Hermione in a dignified voice, "you are the most insensitive wart I have ever had the misfortune to meet."

"Twitchy little ferret, aren't you, Malfoy?"

"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have."

Hermione drew herself to her full height; her eyes were narrowed and her hair seemed to crackle with electricity.
"No," she said, her voice quivering with anger, "but I will write to your mother."

and my personal favorite

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

message 6: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
Wow Elizabeth! I love all of those. There are so many I like. I have to look them up, but I have to say I love the part in the third book when the Marauder's Map insults Snape and when Snape comes up behind Harry and Ron in the second book after they crash the car and are wondering where he is.

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments wow elizabeth you have a lot of favorites! i loved those, too!
*SPOILER if u havent read the 7th book** i dont have it word for word but my favorite quote is after Ron came back from leaving Harry and Hermione in DH and Ron is like "i guess he (dumbledore) knew i would want to leave you"
and Harry was like "no, he knew you would always want to come back"
*and they were talking bout the deluminator being able to find them*

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth before you think I'm some kind of creepy nut who knows every single favorite quote word for word :-), I'll let you know I sort of cheated - I found a list of quotes on mugglenet and I just copy and pasted the ones I loved. It's actually really useful - it oragnizes all the quotes by who says them. They didn't have some of the ones I wanted, though ... like you know that time when Hermione is explaining to harry and ron cho's feelings?? that's one of my favorites I'll have to hunt it down ... excuse me for a moment ...

message 9: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments whoa thats cool! haha i don't think ur a creepy nut!

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth AHA found it.

In Order of the Phoenix, pg 459 of American hardback version:

"Don't you understand how Cho's feeling at the moment?" she asked.

"No," said Harry and Ron together.

Hermione sighed and laid down her quill.

"Well, obviously, she's felling very sad, because of Cedric dying. Then I suppose she's felling confused because she likes Harry, and she can't work out who she likes best. Then she'll be feeling guilty, thinking it's an insult to Cedric's memory to be dissing Harry at all, and she'll be worrying about what everyone else might say about her if she starts going out with Harry. And she probably can't work out what her feelings toward Harry are anyway, because he was the one who was with Cedric when Cedric died, so that's all very mized up and painful. Oh, and she's afraid she's going to be thrown off the Ravenclaw Quidditch team because she's been flying so badly."

A slightly stunned silence greeted the end of this speech, then Ron said, "One person can't feel all that at once, they'd explode."

"Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have," said Hermione nastily, picking up her quill again.

so that's that quote. I simply love it - it describes a girl's mind so well ... and a typical Ron reaction :-)

but now I've got Order in my hands, let's see what else is in here ...

OOH I love this one, pg 812

"Don't waste your breath!" yelled Harry, his eyes screwed up against the pain in his scar, now more terrible than ever. "He can't hear you from here!"

"Can't I, Potter?" said a high, cold voice.

and on the next page,

"It was foolish to come here tonight, Tom," said Dumbledore calmly. "The Aurors are on their way - "

"By which time I shall be gone, and you dead!"

ooh and "Accio Brain!"

and for a sad one, "End it Dumbledore .... Death is nothing compared to this ....

And I'll see Sirius again ...."

okay I think I've gone on for long enough. :-)

message 11: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments haha i like all your quotes :)

message 12: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments oh, how about,

'accio hagrid!'

and

'for medicinal purposes'?

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth for medicinal purposes?? where is that??

OH wait isn't that in like the sixth one when they go the gringotts?? or in the first ... Hagrid says it, right??

message 14: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Jan 31, 2009 10:34AM) (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
I know Hagrid says it in the seventh book when he is asking Molly for brandy after arriving at the Burrow with Harry. I don't know if he also says it somewhere else.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth oh yeah that's probably where it is. I recall him asking for a brandy after Gringotts, but he probably doesn't say "for medicinal purposes" then ...

message 16: by Albert (new)

Albert (Chok) | 9 comments “I didn’t want you to die,” Harry said. These words came without his volition.

“Any of you. I’m sorry—”

He addressed Lupin more than any of them, beseeching him.
“—right after you’d had your son . . . Remus, I’m sorry—”

“I am sorry too,” said Lupin. “Sorry I will never know him . . . but he will
know why I died and I hope he will understand. I was trying to make a world
in which he could live a happier life.”

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth those are so sad! I love them too, though ...

message 18: by Aneri (new)

Aneri | 186 comments i think elizabeth sorta summed up all of the fantastic quotes lol!
i love how rowling makes her characters so funny

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth no, I've just thought of a couple more ... You know in the seventh, when Voldemort dies? here let me get DH ...

okay now that I've got my Deathly Hallows ... here okay it probably isn't as epic/fantastic as the other quotes, but I'm just villain crazy and I love it: "Tom Riddle hit the floor with a mundane finality, his body feeble and shrunken, the white hands empty, the snakelike face vacant and unknowing. Voldemort was dead, killed by his own rebounding curse, and Harry stood with two wands in his hand, staring down at his enemy's shell." that's pg. 744, american hardback ...

the death of the greatest villain of all time ... at least in my opinion. It's ... like the end, it was the BIG THING we were all waiting for, what would happen, who would die, would harry die, how would voldemort be defeated ... at least it was what I was waiting for.

message 20: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments omg ttly.

oh yeah, and 'for medicinal purposes' WAS from the burrow when hagrid asked for some brandy. :) sorry forgot to clear that up.

message 21: by Aneri (new)

Aneri | 186 comments i like the "ron, just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesnt mean we all do!" and, "Ron, you are the most insensitive wart I have ever had the misfortune to meet."

Those two were like the best of Hermione!

message 22: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments
"How do you feel Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head.
"Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike" repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see... I'm HOLEY, Fred, geddit?"

"Yeah 'ear 'ear," said George, with a half glance at Fred, the corner of whose mouth twitched."

"You're a prefect? Oh Ronnie! That's everyone in the family!" [Molly Weasley:]
"What are Fred and I? Next door neighbours?"

"Hey, look - Harry's got a Weasley sweater, too!" Fred and George were wearing blue sweaters, one with a large yellow 'F' on it, the other a 'G.'
"Harry's is better than ours, though," said Fred, holding up Harry's sweater. "She obviously makes more of an effort if you're not family."
"Why aren't you wearing yours, Ron?" George demanded. "Come on, get it on, they're lovely and warm."
"I hate maroon," Ron moaned half-heartedly as he pulled it over his head.
"You haven't got a letter on yours," George observed. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid - we know we're called Gred and Forge."

message 23: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments omg i absolutely love the twins!!!!! :) except now they're just 'the twin' if you know what i mean... *sob*

message 24: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments me too! they have some of my favorite quotes! i know! i can't believe fred died!!

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I was SO shocked when that happened ... when fred died I was so mad and sad and I thought that if she (Jo) could kill fred (and tonks and lupin and colin, come to think of it) she could kill anyone, and so I was REALLY scared for like hermione and ron and the rest of the weasleys and hagrid and even harry (who I had always thought would make it out alive) at that point - like seriously scared that jo was gonna kill them off.

message 26: by Paige (new)

Paige | 203 comments me too!!! i realy thought she w going to kill either ron or hermione...

message 27: by Jana (new)

Jana | 34 comments Hey Elizabeth, in response to your post, I kind of knew that she wold kill one of the twins because the Weasleys were so close to Harry, one of them had to die. It also had to be a twin because there are two of them and they're the best characters in the books (in my opinion). It's still way sad even though it makes sense.

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I didn't think it made sense ... well I guess you could say it does NOW, now that all of the books are over and it was the last one and all that, but at the moment ... I was just shocked. But there WAS a little foreshadowing - when george lost his ear, that was one of an important pair, right?? well what other important pair are there in the books?? fred and george ...

Ethan The Talkative One :D (ethanthetalkative) | 101 comments "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"
J.K. Rowling

Ethan The Talkative One :D (ethanthetalkative) | 101 comments And 2 more which are sort of bad
"if there's something wrong with the b**** then there must be something with the pup!" Aunt Marge.
"YOU B****! Molly Weasly

message 31: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) Curiosity is not a sin...Albus Dumbledore

message 32: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 16 comments "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" is actually taken from the Bible. Corinthians, I think, but I may be wrong, and I'm not taking the time to check.

I love when Fred or George (not sure which) says "Harry, I thought I heard your dulcet tones." in the fifth book. This was right after Harry spent several minutes shouting. Dulcet means sweet.

"If I were a Death Eater, I'd be sure to research my jam preferences before impersonating myself." -Dumbledore

message 33: by Swati (new)

Swati  (readerforevergmailcom) | 333 comments "Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have."

LOVE IT!

Emma the Shadowhunter (emmalisastincelli) | 52 comments This isn't exactly a quote. In the 5th book, when Malfoy is on the inquisitorial squad, he says this:

"Granger, I'll have 5 from you for being rude to our new head mistress. . . Macmillan, five for contradicting me. . . Five because I don't like you, Potter. . . Weasly, your shirt's untucked, so I'll have another five for that. . . Oh yeah, I forgot, you're a mudblood, Granger, so ten for that. . ."

Me and my fried thought that was HILARIOUS!

Emma the Shadowhunter (emmalisastincelli) | 52 comments The Gred and Forge one is funny. So is the prefect one. and the holy one.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

"Always," said Snape.

message 37: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Aww...that was beautiful! *sob*

message 38: by Novin, whose favortie character is Sirius Black. (last edited Jul 02, 2009 12:16PM) (new)

Novin | 575 comments Mod
I was just rereading HP& the prisoner of Azkaban...I like the quotes from Ron... :D

-When Harry got the Firebolt,

'I don't think anyone should ride that broom just yet!' said Hermione shrilly
Harry and Ron looked at her.
'What d'you think Harry's going to do with it-sweep the floor?'said Ron :D

-At Trelawney's class, when they'd started crystal balls

Trelawney:'Would anyone like me to help them interpret the shadowy portents within their orb?'

'I don't need help,'Ron whispered.' It's obvious what this means.There's going to be loads of fog tonight.'

message 39: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 17 comments And on Fred and George's shop window:
"Why are you worrying about you-know-who? you should be worrying about u-no-poo! the constipation sensation that's gripping the nation!"

And i also love how dumbledore is so calm and hilarious!

Harry: "He accused me of being 'Dumbledore's man through and through.'"
Dumbledore: "How very rude of him."

Then in the fifth one...

Harry:"If you don't-if you keep me in here-if you don't let me-"
Dumbledore: "By all means continue destroying my possessions. i daresay i have too many."

message 40: by Novin, whose favortie character is Sirius Black. (new)

Novin | 575 comments Mod
Whitney wrote:
Harry: "He accused me of being 'Dumbledore's man through and through.'"
Dumbledore: "How very rude of him."

“I told him I was.”
Dumbledore opened his mouth to speak and then closed it again. Behind Harry, Fawkes the phoenix let out a low, soft, musical cry. To Harry’s intense embarrassment, he suddenly realized that Dumbledore’s bright blue eyes looked rather watery, and stared hastily at his own knees. When Dumbledore spoke, however, his voice was quite steady.
“I am very touched, Harry. "
:)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) My favorite quote... Molly Weasly to Bellatrix Lestrange at the battle of Hogwarts... "Not my daughter you Bitch!"

message 42: by RinaKat (last edited Oct 16, 2009 07:59PM) (new)

RinaKat | 480 comments I memorized then wroted down then forgot again, quotes from the movie from Ron meeting Harry to Hermione leaving the train-room-thing.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a ton of Harry Potter quotes on my page.

message 44: by Silver_Raven (new)

Silver_Raven | 14 comments when i read the last harrry potter book i read it in one day from 9:00am to 6:00pm.its was so good i just could'nt put it down yeah i know im a harry potter dork.lol

silver raven