Start by marking “Hang Wire” as Want to Read:
Hang Wire

Hang Wire

Paperback
Published February 6th 2014 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2014)

Start your review of Hang Wire
Heidi The Reader
Hang Wire is an urban fantasy novel with a half dozen characters, some immortal, some every-day people, who come together to face a threat of a magnitude that humanity has never known.

In between flash backs to the villain setting up his ghastly scheme, readers get to follow the trail of a killer in San Francisco who garrotes his victims with thick cable and then hangs them by their necks in a grisly display.

"When the second surge threw him up to the surface, and the third pulled him down, he kn
seak
A killer is on the loose and Ted Hall's nighttime sleepwalking escapades are lining up directly with the Hang Wire Killer's murders. That's not information you volunteer until you know a little more.

The circus is also in town and not without their oddities.

Christopher sinks his hooks into you from the start as he slowly reveals what is going on. I had the distinct feeling of Stephen King novel throughout the majority of the book and I'm guessing that was intentional because I know how heavily t
Nikki
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fantasy
I've wanted to read this since I was given the summary to have a go at coming up with a blurb, back when I visited Angry Robot for a day (especially with seeing the cover art, which to me seems perfect in its relative simplicity). So I gleefully pounced on the email offering ARCs, crossed my fingers, and waited. When I got back from Belgium, I had a whole package of books from Angry Robot, including Hang Wire, which I cracked open as soon as I could.

I have Adam Christopher's other books with Ang
Jason
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
4 Stars

I have been a sloppy reader as of late and need to refocus. I am a huge fan of Adam Christopher and this book shows off his talents as a writer. The story and the plot are secondary to the fantastic structure of this book. Christopher has created a supernatural thriller that spans more than 100 years and we the readers are taken back and forth across the generations.

Carnies, serial killers, and sleeping gods...enough said.

This book bleeds into genres of horror, fantasy, mystery and even
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

Having wanted to read a book by this author for a while, I initially debated either tackling 7 Wonders or the Empire State series, but then I found out about his upcoming title Hang Wire. After reading the description, I decided right then and there that I wanted it to be my first Adam Christopher novel.

Immortal gods, pagan rites, a serial killer on the loose...is there anything this book doesn't have? And what's this, a
Gregor Xane
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
The first third of this book read like a textbook example of how to get the hooks into your reader. Every scene, from the very first, slides a new hook under the skin and you've just gotta keep reading to find out 'what's really going on.' Unfortunately, for me, once I found out what was really going on, I was less than thrilled about it.

But I want to be clear about this. You see, at about the halfway mark, I found out that supernatural entities that I personally don't enjoy reading about are m
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)

Hang Wire opens in San Francisco, in April of 1906 when the city is apparently gripped by a massive earthquake, but Robert knows better. As he hauls the victims out of the wreckage, using his unusual strength to pull them out from under tons of rubble, he knows that something else is stirring, and he also must resist the darkness that is awakening in himself as a response to all of the pain and suffering that surrounds him. It’s then that we catch up with
AH
When I first started reading Hang Wire, I was amused by the quirky characters. I mean, who gets excited when they celebrate a prime number birthday? Pretty geeky, huh? I was intrigued by the rest of the cast of characters as well. Just who was Joel? Why did he play with that gold coin? And what about Bob? Why were they all talking in surfer dude speech? And what was the Big Bad?

So a promising beginning led the way to a disappointing end. It's not that the story itself was disappointing, it's ju
Lisa Kerr
Jan 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'd never read anything by Adam Christopher before but io9 got me with their catchy title: "Science Fiction and Fantasy Books You Can't Afford to Miss in January." (Source: http://io9.com/science-fiction-and-fa...) Hang Wire was described as "noir urban fantasy in which a San Francisco blogger celebrates his birthday in Chinatown — only to have a mysterious explosion at the restaurant, followed by cryptic fortune cookies turning up at his apartment. But that's not all — Ted Hall's sleepwalking s ...more
Josh
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There’s a comic book and horror-like quality to HANG WIRE that seems to take all that is good from the sub genres and mold it into a deliciously well crafted tale that gives life to the death that stalks the inhabitants of this semi fictitious San Francisco landscape – the place-setting for HANG WIRE.

Local blog reporter, Ted is felled by an exploding fortune cookie whilst celebrating his birthday. Suffering head injuries, he can’t account for time or the strange events that seem to follow him.
Brandon
Bay area blogger Ted Hall is out celebrating his birthday when an unexpected event sends his world spiraling out of control. His sleeping schedule isn't what it used to be and despite spending hours in bed, he’s no less rested when he awakes. Meanwhile, there’s a circus in town and the extracurricular activities of the performers are putting people on edge. There’s an ancient evil sleeping below the city streets and its arrival threatens us all, that is unless a few local Gods can put a stop to ...more
Janet
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read Adam Christopher before, and was excited to give this a try. Unfortunately I think there were two major flaws in the book: way too many things going on, and not establishing the rules of the world. In this book, we had demonic circus rides, sleepwalkers, exploding fortune cookies, people with extraordinary powers, serial killers, crazy flame cults, just to name a few. As you imagine, these pieces come together, but I don't think in a satisfying way. I felt like I spent a large amou ...more
Stephanie
An urban fantasy with old-world gods living in present day San Francisco where "The Thing Below" is starting to awaken, just as it did in 1906 and in 1989, with devastating consequences. The god of the ocean, Kanaloa, is now living on the shores of San Francisco Bay. He calls himself Bob, lives in a hut by the beach and teaches ballroom dancing to tourists who come to the beach. He can feel that there is something coming and has to find a way to stop it. Meanwhile, a serial killer is terrorizing ...more
Milo
The Review: http://thefoundingfields.com/2014/01/....

“An excellent read, Adam Christopher once again reminds us why he is your go-to writer for awesome urban fantasy as he crafts an unputdownable tale that makes Angry Robot’s 100th Novel an excellent read!” ~Bane of Kings, The Founding Fields

"Ted Hall is worried. He’s been sleepwalking, and his somnambulant travels appear to coincide with murders by the notorious Hang Wire Killer.

Meanwhile, the circus has come to town, but the Celtic dancer
Brian Poole
Hang Wire is an enjoyable addition to author Adam Christopher’s growing suite of modern urban fantasy novels.

A serial killer (the “Hang Wire Killer”) stalks San Francisco. Mysterious masked hero Highwire chases the Hang Wire Killer when not performing at a traveling circus that’s set up shop near Golden Gate Bridge. The circus boasts a lot of peculiar elements, including a Celtic dance troop that’s getting too in touch with its pagan roots and a creepy, classic carnival run by the macabre Joel.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uf
In between errands I opened my copy of HANG WIRE, thinking I could get a taste of it and then read more that night. I spent the rest of the day cursing myself. This is one of those books where I wanted a pause button so I could shut off the rest of the world while I read.

This is an urban fantasy that starts in San Francisco after the infamous 1906 earthquake then goes forwards and backwards in time, collecting and changing characters, until we get to the action-packed conclusion set in modern ti
Drew
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I never shook the feeling that I was reading a still-nacent draft of this novel. For better or worse - does it mean that there's more to be mined from this story? Or does it just mean that this one didn't quite ever get there, wherever where is meant to be? Christopher is a smart writer and excited by what he's coming up with (you can feel the excitement in the writing) but that excitement never left the page, never transferred to me as a reader. Also, I should note: no one in America calls them ...more
Kdawg91
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the hell out of this, and wanna hear something weird? I have Empire State and The Age Atomic and never read them (I am something of a book hoarder)

Seriously, great book, interesting characters, wild ideas by the bucketload, crisp dialogue, only issue I had and it gets a star docked for it, all the wild ass ideas don't really tie together in the endgame in a way that satisfies me.

Go buy it, you will dig it, (now excuse me, I got to read his other books) Sorry for the short review, I am
Daniel
The Goodreads blurb on the book:

Meanwhile, the circus has come to town, but the Celtic dancers are taking their pagan act a little too seriously, the manager of the Olde Worlde Funfair has started talking to his vintage machines, and the new acrobat’s frequent absences are causing tension among the performers.

Out in the city there are other new arrivals – im
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

If Tim Powers wrote THE NIGHT CIRCUS, the resulting novel would probably look a lot like Adam Christopher’s HANG WIRE. A number of seemingly random ideas – including an exploding fortune cookie, a serial killer, and a semi-retired Hawaiian god – form together to create a mystery, tangled in history, surrounded by evil. Some emotional depth is sacrificed for the density of the plot, but each of the characters is fully-formed and multi-layered, and make
Maria Pia
Well, that was disappointing. A story that has circus elements, ancient gods and San Francisco as location should make it and interesting read, right? Nope. There was way too much happening, with too many different types of "magical" things happening, which were only connected close to the end. The characters could be great if we had spent enough time with them to actually understand why they act the way they do, and their relationships (Ted, Alison and Benny were sort of main characters, but I ...more
Christopher
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angry-robot
Each early chapter a vignette conceivably standing in its own, making you wonder however in the world it could all come together. Then after subsequent jumps back and forth in time, it all comes together. Lordy, how it all comes together. Hang Wire, Allison, Dig for Fire....firing up that "Bossanova" album as we speak.
Alisha Tarran
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It all started with a fortune cookie. Ted Hall was just minding his own business, out for dinner with his friends for his birthday, when his fortune cookie literally exploded. Next thing he knows, he's flat on his back in the restaurant with fortunes drifting around him like snow.....all saying the same thing; "You are the master of every situation". That's when things started to get freaky. Ted's been blacking out, sleep walking and not remembering anything. Not only do his somnambulant wanderi ...more
Jasper
originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2014...

Adam Christopher's books have received many praises by lot of different reviewers, I have always wanted to read one of his books to see whether it was true. So when I was presented with the chance to read his latest book, Hang Wire (luckily a stand-alone), out this February by Angry Robots, I couldn't say no. And I have to second the opinion of many other reviewers. Adam Christopher's books are that good! No wait... they are great!!

To
Hayleigh
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5

There was a lot happening in this book. We follow several different characters and several different timelines. I was mostly confused, and to be honest a lot of things were solved pretty easily due to the supernatural element within this story. I would have liked to have more information about the supernatural and magic systems, because it just seems to pop up and is never really explained.

However, this was an interesting concept and the characters were well developed, but I just wanted more.
Keith Gorman
This is a magical mix that blends together American Gods and Something Wicked this way comes. It is kind of confusing the at the beginning the way the author keeps jumping around from different times and characters but eventually he hits a stride and the story takes off. Enjoyed this one and look forward to reading more by him.
Seili
Long time I have not read a book, that keeps me reading on and pulling me back to read so hard.
Although first 300 pages of 400 I was constantly thinking: what am I reading? Who is who and why is all it going on :D Great style it must be! Little annoying was the repeating of some facts or figure of speech, but otherwise enthralling reading.
Monique
Jan 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF. It just was all over the place. Too many characters and times that didn’t go anywhere. Stopped at about 26%.
Troy Lefman
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little bit American Gods, a little bit mystery, a little bit thriller. I like the deviation from expected deities and the mystery of Joel.
Chris
Lucia
Jul 03, 2013
Benito Corral
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how Adam Christopher does it.

First the genre-bending, retro-futuristic Empire State books, then the technicolor action of Seven Wonders; with each novel, Christopher gets better and better. I repeatedly find myself wishing I could peek into his brain, just to see how he wrangles all these wildly original ideas into the words that keep me glued to the pages of his books. Again, I don't know how he does it.

With Hang Wire, Christopher keeps the reading fun going, this time giving us a
Jessica Nelson
Jul 18, 2013
Cassidy
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am an Adam Christopher fan. I love his noirish style and his ability to take sci fi in a cool direction. I will say that this book scared the crap out of me. I found myself not being able to read it alone, but I made it.

A cool story and interesting idea. My imagination was taken to a far away place and that's where I started scaring myself, so that's some good fiction. I wanted the ending to be so much more, but alas I was not satisfied with it, hence the 4 stars.
Lex
Casey Cassidy
Sep 08, 2013
Phil
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read everything Adam Christopher has put out to date, and over the course of those books I've seen his skill as a writer grow and expand. With this his growth certainly shows through. This is Adam Christopher doing epic, whereas before his stories have a tight focus on a few characters, here he has a large cast and uses them to the full. There are gods and devils, there are monsters and a serial killer like no other.

Adam seems determined not to tie himself down to one genre, jumping as he h
Phil
Sep 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Untouchable
  • All Involved
  • The Clown Service
  • Strange Magic (Essex Witch Museum Mystery #1)
  • The Second Girl (Frank Marr, #1)
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
  • Cherry
  • Harley Merlin and the Mystery Twins (Harley Merlin, #2)
  • Pretty Baby
  • Sea of Ghosts (The Gravedigger Chronicles, #1)
  • Night Film
  • Invisible (Invisible #1)
  • The Watchman (Elvis Cole, #11; Joe Pike, #1)
  • Glasshouse
  • The Martian Ambassador (Blackwood and Harrington, #1)
  • Europe in Autumn
  • California! (Wagons West, #6)
  • Necropolis (Gaunt's Ghosts #3)
Adam Christopher’s debut novel EMPIRE STATE was SciFiNow’s Book of the Year and a Financial Times Book of the Year. The author of MADE TO KILL, STANDARD HOLLYWOOD DEPRAVITY, and KILLING IS MY BUSINESS, Adam’s other novels include SEVEN WONDERS, THE AGE ATOMIC, and THE BURNING DARK.

Adam has also written the official tie-in novels for the hit CBS television show ELEMENTARY, and the award-winning DI