Start by marking “Eclipse Phase: After The Fall” as Want to Read:
Eclipse Phase: After The Fall

Eclipse Phase: After The Fall

(Eclipse Phase)

In a world of transhuman survival and horror, technology allows the re-shaping of bodies and minds, but also creates opportunities for oppression and puts the capability for mass destruction in the hands of everyone. Other threats lurk in the devastated habitats of the Fall, dangers both familiar and alien.

After the Fall is the first anthology from Posthuman Studios, set i
Published January 6th 2016 by Posthuman Studios

Start your review of Eclipse Phase: After The Fall
Wealhtheow
A collection of sf short stories set in the Eclipse Phase universe, in which you can "save" your mind and implant it into any kind of body you'd like...if you have enough money, at least. Like most short story collections, this is a bit of a mixed bag in terms of tone and quality. I love the questions of what aspects of identity, consciousness, or physical form matter, what value judgments are in play when people are almost functionally immortal, and all the casual gender bending and mind meldin ...more
Trike
I bought this on the strength of Jaym Gates' name on the cover. I had no idea these stories were tie-ins to a PnP RPG.

I started to get a serious "this feels like a game" vibe after the first couple of stories. It had a bit of the feel of Mass Effect or the Call of Duty space war games, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Once they introduced psi powers out of the blue I was like,"Oh, right. Video game logic."

A couple of the stories are okay, a couple are just complete messes, and a couple
Karin
When I get the five-star tinglies for a book, it's usually because it has set my mind on fire with curiosity and ideas for what is going on in the rest of the world. That's one of the reasons I love tabletop roleplaying games so much. Their entire purpose is to inspire people to tell their own stories within them. What roleplaying games aren't good at is being a book I want to read cover to cover, which is a shame, because many of them start with a short story. I love seeing and hearing about wh ...more
H. Scott
I adored the first story in the book, but realized that I might not be familiar enough with the Eclipse Phase tabletop game to fully appreciate the rest. I'm not unfamiliar with transhumanism, so I was able to grasp that side of things, but game specific references went right over my head and made things confusing.
Zéro Janvier
Un recueil d’une quinzaine de nouvelles dans l’univers de science-fiction transhumaniste du jeu de rôles Eclipse Phase.

Comme souvent dans ce genre de recueil, il y a des textes très réussis, et d’autres moins mémorables. La balance s’équilibre à un niveau plutôt moyen, en raison de quelques nouvelles que j’ai passé assez vite après de premières pages ennuyantes.
Eddy
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
#7 in my 20 in 2020 cyberpunk challenge. I’m entirely biased, since I’m friends with many of the people involved, so I’ll just say that this is an excellent anthology of deep space cyberpunk stories.
Christine
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is an anthology of 15 stories set in the world of Eclipse Phase, a pen and paper style RPG.

Before you get to the first story, there is a brief overview of the setting. It's a bit of an info dump, but you can always come back to it later. It's useful information that helps frame the world though, but if you're already familiar with the game, you can skip ahead without missing anything.

With 15 different stories/authors, there is easily something for everyone in this book. There were a f
Michael Burnam-Fink
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, sci-fi
From a group of RPG authors and contemporary sci-fi standouts (Ken Liu, Madeline Ashby, Karin Lowachee), comes a solid collection of stories set in the dark cosmos of Eclipse Phase.

I've got mixed feelings on Eclipse Phase the RPG. On the one hand, the setting a cool mashup of my man Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix, The Singularity, and H.P. Lovecraft. On the other hand, the rules are a mess that actively oppose the fiction of the game. And on the third augmented cyborg hand, it doesn't do a good jo
Ken Ringwald
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very solid collection of stories set in the transhumanist Eclipse Phase setting. It's a science fiction setting where humans can digitize their minds and make bodies to order, but haven't been able to solve all their problems.

One of the problems that comes up with these collections sometimes is that they're too dependent on the original game books for the role-playing game. That is not the case here. There's a few stories where you'll miss a reference or two, but I wouldn't say any of them are
Ricardo Signes
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: literature
I had high hopes, because Eclipse Phase itself is pretty good, but this was about as bad as every other RPG tie-in story collection I've read. The stories were mostly overwritten, and had feeling of "look how transgressive we can be!" without having enough to them to give anything much impact. Prix Fixe was probably the story I liked best. I'm still not sure whether I think even that one was a bit much.

Oh well.
Marc Huete
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
All solid stories, a few special gems. I really enjoyed Prix Fixe (Andrew Penn Romine), White Hempen Sleeves (Ken Liu), and a Resleeving of Love (Karin Lowachee) all had twists I especially enjoyed. The whole collection is great for anyone with a taste for the transhuman, both genre veterans and novices.
Jan-Erik
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
As could be expected, the quality and style of each individual short story varies widely. Some are brilliant, some are nice, some are so-so. However, all of them highlight what a brilliant setting Eclipse Phase is. The potential is virtually unlimited!
Eric Brooke
Jan 14, 2018
Tobias Wolter
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Some good stories, some bad stories, most slightly above average.
Noel
Sep 18, 2019
Daniel
Feb 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Broken Angels (Takeshi Kovacs, #2)
  • Do the Work
  • Nobody Wants to Read Your Sh*t: Why That Is And What You Can Do About It
  • Freedom and Necessity
  • Swastika Night
  • The City We Became (Great Cities #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • The Fascinators
  • Woken Furies (Takeshi Kovacs, #3)
  • Lies Sleeping (Peter Grant, #7)
  • Boys of Alabama
  • Zen in the Art of Writing
  • Logical Family: A Memoir
  • Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft
  • Mongrels
  • The Elements of Style
  • On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
Jaym is an editor, author, and freelance publicist.

Eclipse Phase (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Eclipse Phase: The Roleplaying Game of Transhuman Conspiracy and Horror
  • Eclipse Phase Transhumanity's Fate
  • Eclipse Phase: A Time of Eclipse
  • X-Risks (Eclipse Phase)
  • Eclipse Phase: Sunward
  • Eclipse Phase Gatecrashing
  • Eclipse Phase Rimward
  • Eclipse Phase: Transhuman
  • Eclipse Phase Panopticon Vol I
  • Eclipse Phase Quick Start Rules

News & Interviews

“What is the point of life except to gather more experiences and to understand yourself?” 0 likes