Start by marking “Acceptance (Southern Reach #3)” as Want to Read:
Acceptance (Southern Reach #3)

Acceptance

(Southern Reach #3)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  31,960 ratings  ·  3,580 reviews
Alternate Cover Edition can be found here.

The highly anticipated third volume of the haunting, disturbing and evocative Southern Reach trilogy.

It is winter in Area X. A new team embarks across the border, on a mission to find a member of a previous expedition who may have been left behind. As they press deeper into the unknown – navigating new terrain and new challenges –

Published September 2nd 2014 by Fourth Estate (first published September 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Acceptance, please sign up.
Johnett Book one, l thought, “Okay, this is just the set up. It’ll get better and clearer as the story develops.” End of book two, thought, “Well, there was…moreBook one, l thought, “Okay, this is just the set up. It’ll get better and clearer as the story develops.” End of book two, thought, “Well, there was actually some substance here and some characters I could maybe/possibly/in some way mildly care about.” Book three felt more like a duty than anything, like there’s no way I could’ve slogged this far through the Southern Reach with them and not see the final credits. Only, the Credits came before any recognizable Last Act, and the fade-to-black was more because I’d held my breath too long and finally just died of literary asphyxiation. (less)
Jose Brox If you didn't like Authority, chances are that you won't like Acceptance either. Although the ambientation is closer to that of Annihilation, the…moreIf you didn't like Authority, chances are that you won't like Acceptance either. Although the ambientation is closer to that of Annihilation, the style is quite similar to that of Authority. I would skip both of them, and be happy of having read Annihilation as a stand-alone. You are not going to get much more action or resolution of the story.(less)

Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why, but everything kind of fell apart for me on this one (and, looking over the reviews, I'm clearly in the minority on that.) The only story that was truly compelling to me was the Lightkeeper's. Otherwise it just felt like a race to wrap up different story threads and tie it with a bow. When you step back, not a whole lot of anything actually HAPPENS in this book. People walk around. Thoughts are processed. We flash back to the past. People marvel at Area X's oddness. They see an ...more
Jeffrey Keeten
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
”Writing, for me, is like trying to restart an engine that has rested for years, silent and rusting, in an empty lot--choked with water and dirt, infiltrated by ants and spiders and cockroaches. Vines and weeds shoved into it and sprouting out of it. A kind of coughing splutter, an eruption of leaves and dust, a voice that sounds a little like mine but is not the same as it was before; I use my actual voice rarely enough.”

photo Area_X_zpslyyoygx8.jpg

There is this need for people trapped in Area X to write about what they
Claudia Putnam
Bumping to 4 because the writing really is terrific. And because I'm still thinking about it, and about some of the comments on this review, below. Thanks all!

Spoiler alert... I'm not hiding this review, but I'm giving something away. Don't read if you don't want to know anything in advance.

******

Actually, I don't have much to say. Basically, (this is the spoiler) Earth is being terraformed (whatever-formed, really) by an alien organism to prepare the way for colonization by aliens who have pr
Will Chin
That's it? Well, I must admit, I feel a little hoodwinked.

Acceptance is a noticeably better book than Authority, but that is not saying a lot, considering that the second book in the series is dreadful in every sense of the word. Just when you thought that the middle chapter of a trilogy cannot get any more weighted down, Authority showed up to prove us all wrong. Every page towards the end felt like a sucker punch to the guts, and it took great determination to pick up the next and final book
Kaora
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those of you like me who loved Annihilation and struggled with Authority, you will be happy to know that this book is more like Annihilation than Authority. We are back in Area-X with Ghost Bird and Control, although there are multiple view points alternating through this book that also bring us back to the history of Area-X.

The thing that I adore most about these books is the writing. The haunting metaphors that set the tone for this mind-fuck of a novel. The pacing was perfect, and the boo
carol.
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Recommended for fans of sci-fi, hallucinogenic fiction
From my blog: https://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2014/...

Once again, Vandermeer astonishes me with evocative, symbolic language:

“The fifth morning I rose from the grass and dirt and sand, the brightness had gathered to form a hushed second skin over me, that skin cracking from my opening eyes like the slightest, the briefest, touch of an impossibly thin later of ice. I could hear the fracturing of its melting as if it came from miles and years away.“

And once again, Area X takes center stage in the
Tobin Elliott
Dec 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, fiction, horror
So that's it? That's all we get?

I wish I had known. I wouldn't have wasted my time.

With this frustrating final book in the trilogy, I alternated between anger (because VanderMeer continued to stuff the pages with useless, time-wasting back stories), and annoyance (because the story wasn't going anywhere for the most part), with frequent side-trips into unadulterated boredom. There were large swaths of narrative that my eyes slid over but my brain couldn't get the gumption up to care about.

I'm e
Mike
I am afraid to report that I found the final installment of The Southern Reach Trilogy to be a disappointment and let down. After really enjoying the first two books in this series, Annihilation and Authority this verdict pains me. VanderMeer succeeded in creating this weird, amazing world populated by fascinating characters. But all the promise and potential of the first two books were squandered, in my opinion, by Acceptance's ending.

Spoilers for the series and this book follow, so be wary.

The
Lyn
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The face of someone watching Mulholland Drive for the first time.

For me, I was mesmerized by the first two books in the trilogy, entranced by VanderMeer’s writing like watching a cool street magician. But the bubble burst here and I blinked and came back to the world, realizing that while it was entertaining and fun to watch, the performance art was only just that.

Taking themes, styles and inspiration from JG Ballard, Jack Finney, and Eugène Ionesco, Jeff VanderMeer has crafted an extraordinaril
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Acceptance answers any lingering questions that the reader may have concerning Area X. I found it much more satisfying than the second entry. But, I don't think that either the second or third book approached the brilliance of the first.

Beyond the revelations about Area X, this book also explains some of the relationships between characters. "Sometimes.. other people gave you their light, and could seem to flicker, to be hardly visible at all, if no one took care of them. Because they'd given yo
Carmen
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
NO SPOILERS. NO TE PREOCUPES.

Bodies could be beacons, too, Saul knew. A lighthouse was a fixed beacon for a fixed purpose; a person was a moving one. But people still emanated light in their way, still shone across the miles as a warning, an invitation, or even just a static signal. People opened up so they became a brightness, or they went dark. They turned their light inward sometimes, so you couldn't see it, because they had no other choice.

The final exploration of Area X. After the catastrop
Caro the L. of the H.
Wow, this book. Wow, this series. I know it will haunt me for a while now and I will have to read something of completely different genre, because I will try and compare any other sci-fi or fantasy book to it through some period of time. And it will win. Because the language was gorgeous and the world was hypnotic and Biologist/Ghost Bird wormed in deep into my brain like that Saul's sliver of light. I guess this whole story had this effect on me.

Acceptance was as good as Annihilation was, while
Bradley
Really 3.5 stars

I'm already tired of my previous argument that the first book was the unconscious and the second was the superego. There's no where else for this book to go except a healthy balance: Hence the name, Acceptance. My argument is too trite and obvious.

So, instead, I'll move on to how this novel either succeeds or doesn't as an actual novel meant to entertain us.

I had issues with the previous novel which did get much better once the Authority crumbled, and this novel takes place entir
Richard
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There's a paragraph or two in Acceptance that perfectly sums up my feelings about this trilogy(So much so that I had to look it up!). The key line is - "The allure of the island lay in its negation of why". The author is talking about how humans constantly need to have a purpose, constantly need to find the why behind something and neglect to just accept the `what` of something.

Its so apt, because its exactly what happened to these books. Area X is summoned up in all its glory in the first book.
Melki
Area X was looking at her through dead eyes. Area X was analyzing her from all sides. It made her feel like an outline created by the regard bearing down on her, one that moved only because the regard moved with her, held her constituent atoms together in a coherent shape. And yet the eyes upon her felt familiar.

I'm not sure why none of these books have captured me like Annihilation. There was just something about those four nameless female scientists that held me rapt and it has not been repe
Tammie
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Though not the best conclusion, I enjoyed the entire Southern Reach Trilogy. The series was strange but also incredibly well-written and completely unique. I have to admit that I found Acceptance the weaker of the three books, with Annihilation being my favorite. I’d recommend this trilogy to science fiction fans or people wanting to read something that is different/original.
Fuchsia  Groan
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ci-fi
Hace unos años, al empezar a leer Veniss Soterrada estaba casi convencida de que Jeff VanderMeer se convertiría en uno de mis autores imprescindibles. Pero terminé la novela con sensaciones encontradas: las descripciones y el mundo creado eran fantásticos, mientras que la historia y los personajes distaban de ser redondos. Con todo, me quedó claro que estaba ante un autor diferente y al que merecía la pena seguir de cerca.

Esta trilogía, Souther Reach, es la que le ha catapultado a la fama, y pe
Timothy Urges
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Area X opens the door to more questions. Area X embraces and destroys.

Acceptance and The Southern Reach Trilogy as a whole is about experiencing the journey of seeking answers.

Ambiguity rules this trilogy. Answers are not always the outcome. Theory after theory wander the minds of those involved. And communication is not always lingual.
Andrea McDowell
I have a hypothesis about this series.

If you like boundaries between civilization and nature, humans and animals, intellect and emotion, you would probably classify these books as horror. And if you aren't particularly invested in those boundaries, you won't.

I've read a number of reviews (both official and non) about these books that discuss how terrifying they are. But they're not. At least, not for me, and believe me, I've got a thin skin and a poor stomach for most horror. This was just life
Trish
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You could know the what of something forever and never discover the why.
...
The only solution to the environment is neglect, which requires our collapse.

In my opinion, these are the most important quotes from this book as they explain the entire trilogy.
Sometimes there just aren’t the kind of answers we’d like.

In this third and last book of the Southern Reach trilogy we get three different POVs: the one of the lighthouse keeper, Saul Evans, beginning before the border came down and Area X was
Ilenia Zodiaco
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Accettazione" - capitolo conclusivo della trilogia dell’Area X - è l’ennesima apnea nel conturbante oceano creato da Jeff Vandermeer.
Preparatevi a rimanere intrappolati, come i protagonisti, per delle lunghissime ore nell’Area x, per di più nel bel mezzo dell’inverno. Se Autorità - secondo capitolo della trilogia - adottava un punto di vista esterno alla Zona anomala e ci offriva un quadro meno compromesso, un’inquadratura dal confine, in Accettazione ci troviamo di nuovo nel caos dell’Area X,
Maria
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After Authority's "nothing happens and you're gonna like it" plot line, this was exhilarating. The excellent pacing from Annihilation is back! And the beautiful, disturbing prose is still here, as ever.

There are no neat answers here. In fact, I have several questions. I call this "my own damn fault for reading so quickly" (forgive me, it was exciting). Well, I'm not sure how much is that and how much is intended/unintended ambiguity on the part of the author. Which is fitting, for Area X.

If anyo
Althea Ann
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved 'Annihilation'; I had a few doubts about 'Authority' - but 'Acceptance' pulled it all back together.

However, if anyone reading this is thinking about starting here: don't. You will be totally lost. I actually think you could conceivably skip the middle volume, but 'Annihilation' is a required prerequisite.

'Acceptance' brings us back to the depths of Area X.
The book has a lot of jump-cuts and flashbacks (I actually think it might've worked better chronologically, but that's not what Vande
David
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i slogged through all 3 of these slim volumes, waiting for a rational explanation of area x. didn't happen. guy can write, but this short story sized plot went on and on and by the end i was sick of the all of the whinny characters and felt stupid having spent all these hours reading the series instead of watching re-runs of battlestar galactica with loren greene.
oh well. peter hamilton has a 600 pager coming out this month, and if you haven't read the void series, get busy.
Katie
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
But what if you discover that the price of purpose is to render invisible so many other things?

So....I loved this a lot. This was better than I ever hoped that it would be, and after the first two I hoped that it would be pretty great. Acceptance is weird and abstract and beautiful and sad.

The final book in VanderMeer's trilogy follows three parallel plotlines: Saul the lighthouse keeper, Gloria's first trip into Area X, and the rag-tag remnant of survivors from Authority. The thing that really
J Edward Tremlett
Call her Ghost Bird. That’s not her real name. But then, when she was the Biologist, she wasn’t supposed to use her real name, either.

But then, was she ever the Biologist at all? Or is she merely a copy of the woman who went into the topographical mystery known as Area X to find answers about her dead husband?

Yet another explorer who went into that deadly and subversive enigma and never came back out again?

That’s just it — she’s not sure. She’s not sure of a lot of things, to be honest. But she
Richard Derus
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4* of five

My review, inexplicably unwritten until now, is live at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud. How Alex Garland plans to film these books is completely beyond my grasp.
Nasia
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readathon18
Δυστυχώς απογοητεύτηκα πολύ από το τρίτο μέρος της τριλογίας αυτής, με άφησε σχεδόν παγερά αδιάφορη για την μοίρα των πρωταγωνιστών - και αυτό το θεωρώ πολύ κακό. Κρίμα, γιατί μου αρέσει πολύ ο τρόπος που γράφει ο VanderMeer! :( Ίσως να διαβάσω όμως κάτι άλλο δικό του, για να του δώσω ακόμα μία ευκαιρία.
Benni
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review: http://bennitheblog.com/bookbiters/ac...

This isn’t a review of only Acceptance, but also the first two books of the Southern Reach Trilogy, Annihilation and Authority. Some believe that Annihilation, in particular, can be a standalone novel, and while I do not disagree, I have no idea why anyone would not read the entire trilogy.

In Annihilation, the Southern Reach sends its twelfth expedition into the mysterious Area X. Four women—a psychologist, anthropologist, surveyor, and biologist—a
Stephen
Acceptance like the first two books in the Southern Reach trilogy is surreal and environmental; Area X invades and alters everything it touches. I was not however as wowed by the language, nor did I become as immersed in the narrative as in Annihilation. Acceptance also lacks Authority's intrigue and creep factor. It reads more as a formulaic (though unusual) multi-point narrative. It is disjointed, much too long, and the ending feels like a cop out.

My biggest problem with Acceptance is what Van
  • The Croning
  • Three Moments of an Explosion
  • Year's Best Weird Fiction, Vol. 2
  • Lagoon
  • The Narrator
  • The Drowning Girl
  • The Troika
  • World of Trouble (The Last Policeman, #3)
  • Smut Peddler: 2014 Edition
  • Rapture (Bel Dame Apocrypha #3)
  • The New Weird
  • Echopraxia (Firefall, #2)
  • Shoggoths in Bloom and Other Stories
  • Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch, #2)
  • Central Station
  • The Fractal Prince (Jean le Flambeur, #2)
  • Pump Six and Other Stories
  • Delphine
NYT bestselling writer Jeff VanderMeer has been called “the weird Thoreau” by the New Yorker for his engagement with ecological issues. His most recent novel, the national bestseller Borne, received wide-spread critical acclaim and his prior novels include the Southern Reach trilogy (Annihilation, Authority, and Acceptance). Annihilation won the Nebula and Shirley Jackson Awards, has been translat ...more

Southern Reach (3 books)
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
  • Authority (Southern Reach, #2)
“You could know the what of something forever and never discover the why.” 30 likes
“Perhaps so many journals had piled up in the lighthouse because on some level most came, in time, to recognize the futility of language. Not just in Area X but against the rightness of the lived-in moment, the instant of touch, of connection for which words were such a sorrowful disappointment, so inadequate an expression of both the finite and the infinite.” 16 likes