Melki's Reviews > Acceptance

Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction

Area X was looking at her through dead eyes. Area X was analyzing her from all sides. It made her feel like an outline created by the regard bearing down on her, one that moved only because the regard moved with her, held her constituent atoms together in a coherent shape. And yet the eyes upon her felt familiar.

Vandermeer has conjured a beautifully lush yet deadly landscape, teeming with wildlife both real and imaginary. Unfortunately, the characters are not quite as full of life and frankly, they leave me cold. In this volume, I did enjoy the scenes shared by Gloria and Saul, the lighthouse keeper, but the others, even Ghost Bird and Control, bored me.

There are a few moments of suspense and dread here, and questions are answered, but by that time I had stopped caring. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have stopped at the end of the first book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Acceptance.

September 14, 2014 – Started Reading
September 14, 2014 – Shelved
September 18, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 18, 2014 – Shelved as: science-fiction
September 18, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Ankara Smith YouTube video JZ video

Ankara Smith YouTube Video Of JZ

Matthew Chiabotti I completely agree.

message 4: by Melki (last edited Oct 05, 2014 01:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Melki Matthew wrote: "I completely agree."

One star - I see that! Here's wishing you better luck with Horrorstör.

Christine I feel much the same as you describe, Melki. Couldn't wait to finally finish this last book. :(

Melki Mohawkgrl wrote: "I feel much the same as you describe, Melki. Couldn't wait to finally finish this last book. :("

I can't remember a single thing about this book, so I guess that says it all.

Fipah "I'm not sure why none of these books have captured me like Annihilation. There was just something about those four nameless female scientists that held me rapt and it has not been repeated in the other titles." exactly!

message 8: by Melki (last edited Oct 15, 2018 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Melki Fipah wrote: ""I'm not sure why none of these books have captured me like Annihilation. There was just something about those four nameless female scientists that held me rapt and it has not been repeated in the ..."

Have you seen the film version of Annihilation? I saw it the other day, and was surprised by how much I liked it.

Fipah Melki wrote: "Fipah wrote: ""I'm not sure why none of these books have captured me like Annihilation. There was just something about those four nameless female scientists that held me rapt and it has not been re..."

I have and was more on the disappointed side :( and like with the books, I feel like I want to like it more than I did since the whole concept of this ecosystem Area X and a shady/weird organisation is totally me.

I absolutely LOVED Ex Machina and I was thrilled by Annihilation's trailer. Yet again, I felt the plot was less compelling, there was little exaplanation of what Area X was and in general very little answers (compared to Ex Machina's intertwined plot that is surprising, mysterious and is not left unexplained). However I am enthralled by the music in the trailer when The Shimmer is first displayed (that strange horn sound) that is derived from song The Mark: Interlude by Moderat. I listen to it daily and think about the book. Plus I hate horror movies and I get super scared very easily and Annihilation's two scenes (intestines and mainly the bear) were too much for me, I genuienely had to breathe it out, lie down and have a break from watching.

Melki Fipah wrote: "Melki wrote: "Fipah wrote: ""I'm not sure why none of these books have captured me like Annihilation. There was just something about those four nameless female scientists that held me rapt and it h..."

Fair enough. You know, I didn't even remember the bear part from the book. I liked the cinematography, and was reasonably pleased with the ending. I wasn't really expecting much from the movie; maybe that's why I was pleasantly surprised. Heading off to youtube now to find that clip and hear the music.

message 11: by Fipah (last edited Oct 15, 2018 03:23PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Fipah Melki wrote: "Fipah wrote: "Melki wrote: "Fipah wrote: ""I'm not sure why none of these books have captured me like Annihilation. There was just something about those four nameless female scientists that held me..."

There are three places so far to listen to it, each different: the trailer (the most gripping sound in my opnion, though it occurs only three times there), The Alien OST song, the sound starts at around 4:40 (it is almost like the one in trailer though the horns are more pronounced) and then the Moderat song (I recommend the 3 minute longer version on youtube over the short original). The sound in the Moderat song is different but there is a melody to the song, it is not just one chord like with the previous two examples, so it more captivating to listen to it, it is more like a "song".