Start by marking “Metro 2033 (Metro, #1)” as Want to Read:
Metro 2033 (Metro, #1)

Metro 2033

(МЕТРО #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  32,977 ratings  ·  2,151 reviews
The civilization most northern outpost, a lonely metro station, attacked by mysterious creatures that somehow have awoken in the recent war. The world lies in ruins, the surface is contaminated, and a prey to the sun's deadly rays. One last human remnant have sought protection in the Metro, the world's largest nuclear bomb secure bunker, where stations have been transforme ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Gollancz (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Metro 2033, please sign up.
Taswa Its very depressing, and quite different. Thats why I recomend it. You grow a little if you read it. Ofcoures I would recomend you read it when older…moreIts very depressing, and quite different. Thats why I recomend it. You grow a little if you read it. Ofcoures I would recomend you read it when older to understand and follow it better, but even at younger ages it has its benefits.(less)

·  32,977 ratings  ·  2,151 reviews

Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
The Russians have a skill in writing apocalyptic, nightmarish stories. You only have to read the Strugatsky Brothers' "Roadside Picnic" (or watch the film version, "Stalker"), Gansovsky's "A Day of Wrath" or watch Lopushansky's amazing "Letters From A Dead Man" to realise that they understand what it is to live on the edge of the abyss.
Claustrophobic, dark cul-de-sacs of danger and terror, "Metro 2033" is a world of uncertainties and fear, hung on the fringes between survival and death. Criminal
Lilla Smee
I really wanted to like this book. Everything about it promised so much! The setting is the Moscow metro system in the year 2033. Above ground, it appears that humanity has been wiped out by nuclear war. The survivors live entirely in the underground tunnel system; stations have evolved into microcosms of the old social and political systems of Russia. The inhabitants are now into the second generation, and Glukhovsky touches on some of the adaptive changes humans have undergone as a result of l ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Метро 2033 = Metro 2033, Dmitry Glukhovsky
Metro 2033 (Russian: Метро 2033) is a post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by Russian author Dmitry Glukhovsky. It is set in the Moscow Metro, where the last survivors hide after a global nuclear holocaust. It was published in 2005 in Russia and on March 28, 2010 in the United States. In 2013, a nuclear war occurred, forcing a large amount of Moscow's surviving population to relocate to underground metro stations in search of refuge. Eventually, the co
Ahmed H. Mansour
OH MY GOD....I can`t believe I`ve just finished this book....The best last stand for humanity I`ve ever read

Now...Imagine this with me...A guy walking in the streets of a post apocalyptic dead city when no one and (nothing) should be on the surface, And then he notices these dark things walking slowly behind him, He can`t turn around and shot any of them, If he starts runing he`s dead, and above his head in the sky he can hear this winged thing circling around, looking for a prey...Now what shou
Iztok
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly monotonous novel. Reading it it becomes obvious that postapocalyptic setting, strange events and bizarre creatures are not enough for a good novel. The structure is repetitive, there is no overall development of main character's psyche, except at the very end, too late, I'm afraid. Events are arbitrary, there are too many unnecessary descriptions of metro stations and reader looses himself in all the mentioned tunnels. Women play no important role, there is none, except for some hys ...more
Bradley
This is a cult-classic dystopia that managed to catapult high despite originally being given away for free a little more than a decade ago. It's a testament of word-of-mouth.

I found myself curious even before having this recommended to me, but I'm only now getting around to reading it. For shame, right?

This is very much a Russian tale with everything that implies. Post-nuclear survival tale within the metro tunnels, humanity becoming Morlocks and strange flying creatures preventing any egress.
Dirk Grobbelaar
Welcome to the post apocalyptic world of Metro 2033. It’s a grim and depressing existence, this. This novel conveys a claustrophobic atmosphere rarely felt. Everything in this underworld has a dreamy (nightmarish) quality about it. Consider: perpetual darkness except for signal fires and faint red emergency lighting at some stations. And if you’re travelling, don’t forget your pocket flashlight.

So what’s the story? Well, the apocalypse has come and gone. Somebody pushed the button, and only the
Kenchiin
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you tired of stupid Young Adult books with stupid protagonists who are worried about who they should kiss rather than how to survive? Then this is for you.
Real survival, real struggle, and a very elaborated setting take Metro 2033 to new levels of "things went wrong here".

This book won't try to babysit you, so don't expect an easy read.
William Blackwell
After reading Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro 2033, I felt compelled to offer a review. Frankly it is the best post-apocalyptic sci-fi I have ever read. While some things may get lost in translation, and it has a lot of typos, for me it did not detract from Artyom's epic struggle to reach Polis from the subway station of VDNKh and deliver the message that the dark ones are invading the station and the future of the entire metro population is at risk.

Set in the year 2033, it depicts mankind's struggle
T
Dec 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, junk
The premise of Metro 2033 is excellent, and the ultimate conclusion of the story (the last 10 pages), though treading on an overused SF trope, could have added an excellent undercurrent to the plot. Yet, in-between the opening and the ending, there is over 400 pages of, well, nothing. After introducing the setting, the main character, Artyom, is sent on a quest by someone he just met, for reasons which are not elaborated upon, to the ultimate purpose of doing...something. That's a great way to s ...more
Markus
I am unfortunately forced to put this book on hold.

I'm not quite sure why. There was a point where I just lost interest entirely. It's not bad, far from it. The opening chapters were very interesting, and made the promise of a fascinating postapocalyptic setting in the Moscow metro. However, I just lost the thread at some point. I started reading other books on the side, and eventually I was no longer interested in picking this one back up. I tried a few times, but could never find the desire to
Matt
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-favs
This is one of the best post-apocalyptic novels I've ever read. It's got a fair amount of action, but it is by no means dominated by it. There is plenty of Eastern European introspection and philosophy here to balance out the monsters and fire-fights. Lots of suspense too. The story is top-notch and Artyom is a very identifiable protagonist who develops quite a bit throughout the story.

I had to knock off a star for some really really sloppy editing. It seemed like every few pages there was a rep
Scott
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I love a good dystopia, and Metro 2033 delivers a particularly interesting example of the type. Glukhovsky's vision of the remnants of human society huddling in the damp and eerie darkness of the Moscow metro while surviving on rats and carefully cultivated mushrooms is a fascinating scenario (Although I kept wondering how we would fare here in Melbourne where our subway consists of only four stations- we don't have much space for a post-apocalyptic microcosm of society down there!).

After the su
Catherine Ford
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian

I will begin with a bit of background for you, since the blurb on this book is pretty useless in explaining what this book is about. In 2013, there was a massive nuclear war. I read the entire book, and am still not 100% sure why or what exactly happened, but never mind that. So the world has gone to hell in a handcart. Everything was blasted with nuclear weapons and biological weapons. This caused evil radiation to spread all over and kill the people and
Maciek
People, you say? No, my friend, they are beasts. They are a pack of jackals. They were preparing to tear us apart. And they would have. But they forgot one thing. They are jackals but I am a wolf.

Most people who come to Metro 2033 probably do so after playing the excellent video game adaptation (you can see the trailer here). The game is an immersive first person shooter with great atmosphere, and has received very favorable reviews. I completed it once, and would like to do so again one day.
Elizabeth Sagan
DNF-ed after 100 pages, so I'm not going to give it a rating.

It was 100% telling and no showing. Adding the Dostoyevsky-ish style... not for me. Which is a shame, cause I'm a fan of post apocalyptic, dystopian books. I loved the plot (even though I would have liked to know more about what happened), but the writing style is just bleah.

My favourite parts where those where they talked about the outside world. About the radiations, about the sun etc.

But this is a no from me.
Silvia
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It is the year 2033, and people are both forgetting who they are and remembering what they could be.
Not an easy read, certainly not in the first 150 pages or so, but later on it proves a very good post-apocalyptic SF, exceptionally written. Plenty of action and plenty of introspection, and a character that continues to evolve in such a natural way that it never seems forced, never pushed too far. Some passages are even so full with suspense that you'll find yourself holding on to the book as if
Emelie
Bleh.

No. Interesting concept that wasn't used to its fullest.

Boring main character - don't care what happens to him or what he has to say and what he thinks.

Awful, boring, unengaging language. The dialogue was laughable, the writing all in all was... meh. I don't know how much it is due to the translator but, didn't work at all.

Info dumps. While it is necessary to present the metro and the stations and the like it was confusing and not done very well.

Too much babbling and rambling of unimpo
Lucia
Have you read the synopsis? What an unique and compelling premise, right? However its executions did not work for me at all. Let's look at all the things that ruined the book for me.

WRITING STYLE
There was too much telling-not-showing. I read english version (originally written in russian) so it may have been caused by inproper stylistic translation, who knows. Either way, it lead to story lacking true emotions.

ROAD TRIP FEEL
Metro 2033 had a road trip feel to it. Hero goes from station to station
Caro the Helmet Lady
I was seriously going to give it 4 stars, because yeah, I really liked it, and that was it, but last chapter changed everything. You broke my heart, Glukhovsky, you bastard.

Hmm, but I still have some questions. Need to think about it all one more time.
Olivier Delaye
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff! Fast-paced, straight-to-the point-with-no-longcut-prose, great world-building (or rather, un-building, ha!), a neat ending begging for a sequel... so yeah, glad I've got that one under my belt!
Kat
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE END OF THIS REVIEW HAS SPOILERS

Absolutely loved this book. I loved how complex the side characters were - I was always torn between excitement that the plot was moving on and sadness that I didn't have time to learn more about everyone, they're that interesting.
The plot itself never goes where you expect it to, always unseating you whenever you start to feel "comfortable" and it never lets you guess where it's going.
I loved the complexity of the metro system. This does mean that the book is
Bogdan
Ohhh, I was so, so, disappointed with this book. I heard about all the hype around it, about the game, and I thought that it will be a great ride. Big, big, mistake to think that.

There were two scenes that I liked, like really liked, and those proved that the novel had potential, the chase and the mystery around the librarians and plus the other thing with the Great White Worm, but this potential hasn`t been really achieved.

And mainly because there are a lot of things thrown in this book, a lot
Igor Ljubuncic
Well, this was an odd experience.

I actually stopped reading about 100 pages in, and I'm not going to rate this.

On one hand, the theme is original, there's a real sense of dread and despair, and the futuristic Moscow metro system that houses the few survivors of the apocalypse that has gripped the world feels like a bleak, harsh place.

On the other, the writing progresses slowly. Too slowly. It reminds me somewhat of the late 19th century novels, where the plot kind of builds up and builds up and
Eric Piotrowski
I began reading this book several months ago, since I'm eager to play the video game that was recently adapted from it. I expected to get a standard post-apocalyptic adventure novel, and this is what I got -- for 80% of the book. The other 20% is filled with bleak philosophizing and clouds of uncertainty that creep around the main character, like the weird sounds and unsettling environs of the dessicated metro itself.

Then, in the last ten pages, this wave of conceptualization leaps out of the sh
Dominique Rose
Casey Hampton
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While listening to this audiobook, I jotted down a few phrases that sprang to the forefront of my consciousness.

* Good writing
* Elegant exposition
* Predominantly solid pacing – turns suspect at the end
* Nice management of tension – slackens at climax
* Strong atmosphere - establishes dark and closed-in spaces
* Fantastic narrator - Rupert Degas nails the reading

Without question, I recommend this book. I strongly suggest you listen to the audiobook. You might feel a little bummed at the end, but th
Paul Nelson
Metro 2033 ***1/2

I wanted so much to like this book, after all it spawned a fantastic game and soon to be realized film(hopefully sooner rather than later) that MGM have bought the rights to. The concept of the story is excellent and one of the best post-apocalyptic ideas and atmospheres I have read but the story itself is overlong and fails to build any tension mainly due to being fleshed out almost ridiculously so in parts.

The story is set twenty years after the planet was ruined by nuclear wa
David
Aug 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mutants in the metro, Dark Ones, Commies and Nazis in the post-apocalypse
A nuclear war in 2013 wiped out most of the population of the world, and the remnants living underground in the Moscow subway tunnels believe they are the only humans left alive. Each station in the old metro is now its own little city-state. The main character, a young man named Artyom, is sent on a quest to another station. Along the way, he meets Nazis, Communists, Satanists, monks, cannibals, cultists, flying monsters, and mutants. The ending is ironic and grim, as befits a Russian novel tak ...more
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
I have really strong feelings for Metro 2033. It was also one of the most amazing reads of the year I read it in (although the less is said about the sequel, the better.) As far as I heard, the game based on this book was also amazing. The story tells us about a post-apocalyptic world of atomic-winter survivors in the Moscow subway tunnels, and the world painted in the picture is amazing. You wouldn't even think to say that of a confined space with all the problems that come with not actuall ...more
Metro 2033 2 5 May 02, 2019 11:53AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong page count 2 14 Dec 17, 2018 03:19PM
Goodreads Librari...: Merge two records 2 144 Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM
Buddy Reads : Öneri kitap 4: Metro 2033 1 8 Jan 12, 2016 03:45AM
Min Jun Kim Book Review 2 16 Jun 03, 2015 09:59PM
/r/52book: Metro 2033 Discussion (Chapters 16-20) 3 27 Mar 31, 2015 04:14AM
/r/52book: 1. Metro 2033 Discussion (Chapter 1-5) 12 42 Mar 13, 2015 10:26AM

• Питер (Метро 2033: Питер. Подземный блюз, #1)
  • Do Światła (Uniwersum «Metro 2033»)
  • Черновик (Работа над ошибками, #1)
  • Le radici del Cielo (Uniwersum «Metro 2033»)
  • The Living
  • Level 7
  • Roadside Picnic
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 2 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #2)
  • Prophets of the Ghost Ants
  • Trucizna (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #7)
  • Narrenturm (Trylogia husycka, #1)
  • Collector
  • Eternity Road
  • Malevil
Dmitry Glukhovsky (Russian: Дмитрий Глуховский) is a professional Russian author and journalist. Glukhovsky started in 2002 by publishing his first novel, Metro 2033, on his own website to be viewed for free. The novel has later become an interactive experiment, drawing in many readers, and has since been made into a video game for the Xbox 360 console and PC. Glukhovsky is known in Russia for his ...more

МЕТРО (3 books)
  • Metro 2034 (Metro, #2)
  • Metro 2035 (Metro, #3)
“Humans had always been better at killing than any other living thing.” 72 likes
“And what if there’s nothing in there?’ You die and there’s nothing beyond that. Nothing. Nothing remains. Someone might remember you for a little while after but not for long.” 64 likes