Start by marking “A Series of Unfortunate Events Box: The Complete Wreck (Books 1-13)” as Want to Read:
A Series of Unfortunate Events Box: The Complete Wreck (Books 1-13)

A Series of Unfortunate Events Box: The Complete Wreck

(A Series of Unfortunate Events #1-13)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  13,959 ratings  ·  1,014 reviews
NOW A NETFLIX ORIGINAL SERIES

Some boxes should never be opened.

For the first time, the complete A Series of Unfortunate Events is available in one awful package!

We can't keep you from succumbing to this international bestselling phenomenon, but we can hide all thirteen books in a huge, elaborately illustrated, shrink-wrapped box, perfect for fill
Published October 13th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Series of Unfortunate Events Box, please sign up.
Liam
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  13,959 ratings  ·  1,014 reviews

Start your review of A Series of Unfortunate Events Box: The Complete Wreck (Books 1-13)
Will Byrnes
Nov 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
description
Jim Carrey as Count Olaf with the ill-fated Baudelaire children in the 2004 film

The Series of Unfortunate Events series was great fun for the first few. They are entertaining, fast reads, filled with a dark, sardonic wit and a fairy tale sensibility. I found, though, that after a few they became redundant. It was the same bad guy using disguises and perverting systems designed to protect the children, to seek his own ends. It was the same clever children foiling the evil count's sinister designs. You can h
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms (Book.Enchantress)
4.75 Golden Stars

I read this at the same time with Deltora (I can't remember which one I start first) so my 2nd or 3rd series chronologically. &
it seems like it is happening in real world, Sometimes I just felt it was a biography of the Baudelaires. maybe does not even have a tiny fantasy element, but it feels so awesome.

Dear Readers
despite of the author trying to convince you, readers, not to read his books, because they are full of "Unfortunate Events" I totally am trying to convince/>Dear
Maralena
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to lose track of time while reading
I hate literature. Unabashedly and with passion. This, my friends, is not literature. You could not waste your time sitting around in a stuffy room with the windows drawn on a beautiful day analyzing this text. This is pure storytelling plain and simple and leaves no room for the ego. This is what books are about, my friends: losing awareness of the self such that when you turn the last page and come out the other end, you have no original thoughts whatsoever, only the desire to keep reading.
Yasi
Jun 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I really like Lemony Snicket's style of writing, asking us to stop reading throughout the book, giving definitions of the words. the books are totally funny. I have learned many new words and phrases by reading the series. I recommend the whole set!
lil em
Jun 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I love that you love these books! It's clever that the one word sayings from sunny are actually ironic one word summaries of the exact situation or sometimes a word in a different language to describe her meaning. I enjoy that hes teaching children vocabulary and pharses in easy to understand and witty ways. I love Lemony Snickets dark sense of humor, I think that he is opening doors for children to be introduced to great literature and poets by referencing them in his books. (ie Robert Frost, T ...more
Bethany
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
What I have enjoyed throughout this series is the way the author makes the reader think. By think I mean, research, investigate and remember important events, words, etc. You are encouraged to keep a journal to write down your thoughts and insights. It is dark humour and probably appropriate for about age 8 and up depending on the sensitivity of the child. It does deal with some sad things like the fact that our protagonists become orphans and the adults are either trying to off them or are too ...more
Bakeshow
May 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Adam
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Some things are best communicated in person. Among these things are sign language, marriage proposals, and infectious diseases. However, in many cases personal communication is simply not feasible. While I would like to declare to each of you personally the release of the 13th and final book in Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events," I must resort to an impersonal means of making this most important announcement, so I am posting it here.

For the sake of those who are unfami
Debbie
Sep 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teens
Shelves: young-adult-lit
#1: The Bad Beginning; #2: The Reptile Room; #3: The Wide Window; #4: The Miserable Mill; #5: The Austere Academy; #6: The Erstz Elevator; #7: The Vile Village; #8: The Hostile Hospital; #9: The Carnivorous Carnival; #10: The Slippery Slope; #11: The Grim Grotto; #12: The Penultimate Peril; #13: The End

After the three Baudelaire children (Violet, Klaus, and Sunny) lose their parents in a house fire, they experience so much misfortune and so many narrow escapes from the evil Count Ola
Candise
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Basically, this book is about how kids are hella smart, and adults just don't give them enough cred. The Baudelaire children have just become the Baudelaire orphans, and everything bad that could ever befall them happen in this series. Each child has a skill: Violet is a brilliant inventor, Klaus is a bookwork with an incredible memory, and Sunny has razor-sharp teeth. Together, they are the ultimate machine.

There is mystery, multiple attempts at murder, serious pun-action, and a got
Artnoose McMoose
Dec 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
I began reading the series after the first 12 had been released. I read #13 as soon as it came out. I think that the strength with this series is in its entity as a series.

For example, in the first books, there's a dichotomy between good and evil, but as the children go through their series of unfortunate events, morality becomes blurred. This was one of the things I admired most about the books.

In addition, Sunny is one of the most interesting and overlooked characters in the serie
Jason
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids, See Review
Recommended to Jason by: Movie
Shelves: child-lit, 2016, humor
I have very mixed feelings about this series, so I can neither recommend nor not recommend it. I'm glad I read it, but also glad to be shut of it. Parts of it are great and other parts would try the patience of Job. I'm with the general consensus on here that Lemony Snicket (real name Daniel Handler) is an acquired taste and I'll go so far as to say that he never becomes an enjoyable taste. He's always a little... bitter?

Sophia Petrillo photo Sophia Petrillo.png
"Boy, can you beat a metaphor to death."

Ah, blow it out your ditty bag, and get out of my review. Some things are so awesome and others are so annoying. It's clear Handler is a genius, or at least a fantastic researcher. Almost every name, phrase, scenario, etc. is a reference to something in the real world. Everything! For example, two of the Quagmire triplets are named Isadora and Duncan. This is a nod to a lost generation dancer named Isadora Duncan. Two other brothers are named Frank and Ernest, a reference to a popular phrase (as well as a comic strip). Every character met on a lost island is named after someone who was caught in similar circumstances (Robinson, Bligh, Ishmael ["Call me Ish"], Ariel, etc.) The series is loaded with so many Easter eggs it's a trivia buff's wet dream. I bet Handler's hell on Jeopardy! It's really quite impressive.

All the books are well-salted with fun wordplay, but it's not so heavy handed that it detracts from the plot like in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland which really doesn't have a plot at all.

The self-deprecating and dark, off the wall humor is wonderful as well, and it's with these parts that the series shines. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have bothered past the first couple of books.

Handler is a great writer but also an obnoxious one, and that brings us to the gripes. What's completely over the top is Snicket defining a word or phrase every couple of pages. The definition isn't always 100% accurate, but the inaccuracy is part of the charm when it happens. I learned a few new words this way, as well as several historical/literary/scientific facts, but I looked up a few of the "facts" just to make sure he wasn't joshing me with some tongue-in-cheek flim-flam as he was wont to do.

For several of the books he describes what each of the Baudelaire children is thinking or recalling in reaction to an incident they just witnessed. This also happens every few pages, and often takes up a page or two itself.

He constantly goes off on side stories and tangents for a page or two. These are always humorous, but also distracting.

All of these things interrupt the narrative, and I swear 30-50% could be cut from each of these books if all that nonsense was left out. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's aggravating, but by the fourth or fifth book I was resigned to dealing with it because it wasn't worth putting the books down for that annoyance. Still, I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they gave up because of it. My mother managed to read the first book, but going through that for 12 more was asking too much.

As for the stories themselves, they're great... but incomplete. I found myself rooting for the kids and wanting to tear my hair out over all the stupid or evil adults they had to deal with. Having such reactions and becoming so vested is a sign of a good story, so kudos for that.

Several clues and mysteries are introduced throughout the series, but the vast majority of them go unresolved, even major plot points such as a silly-ass sugar bowl that was mentioned throughout half the series as being the root cause of all the Baudelaires' misfortunes. The kids don't manage to get the answers on their own, and there's no Dumbledore to explain things at the end. No Jessica Fletcher. No Ben Matlock. No Velma, Fred, or Daphne... Holy shit... That was totally unintended but also rather awesome because it reminds me that we never even find out what the VFD was all about, and that was also at the root of the story.

One could say this is sloppy work, but I'm confident Handler did it on purpose. He has the ability to wrap up everything, but just decided to be as irksome as possible, and he pulls it off well. Luckily I was anticipating this about halfway through the series, so the lack of closure met my expectations, and I wasn't left a bereft reader.

Sorry I can't be of more help here. Be prepared for a simultaneously fun and exasperating ride if you decided to jump on this one. I expect kids would enjoy this more than more experienced readers, and that's really the target audience, so that works out. But there are also so many things an adult would love in it. Like I said at the start: very mixed feelings for this one.

Below are my reviews to the individual books if you want more details.

The Bad Beginning
The Penultimate Peril
The End
Tracy Furr
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As far as a series of books, a more accurate rating might be 4 stars. However, when combined with the experience of reading them as a family along my husband to our 7 and 5 year old boys, I give the series 5 stars.

I found these books incredibly engaging and clever. As much for the adults as it was for the kids. And the final chapter brought me to tears.

My boys remember so much of these books and are better at the trivia aspects than myself. I loved the way Snicket played
Nicole Pramik
A Series of Unfortunate Events, penned by Lemony Snicket (pseudonym for American author Daniel Handler), consists of thirteen novels: The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room, The Wide Window, The Miserable Mill, The Austere Academy, The Ersatz Elevator, The Vile Village, The Hostile Hospital, The Carnivorous Carnival, The Slippery Slope, The Grim Grotto, The Penultimate Peril, and The End. These books follow the dreadful misadventures of the three Baudelaire orphans, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny. All three children are ...more
Kate
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pdf, ya
4 stars but actually 4.5. this was so beyond anything I was expecting when I picked these books up again. I read most of them as a kid--through maybe Grim Grotto? definitely Slippery Slope--but I mostly remembered the early series, VFD, and feeling more than a little out of the loop. and now I'm sitting here both amazed and also completely BAFFLED.

I love the framing device of the narration and the complexity of the series, including all its many red herrings and (purposeful?) loose e
Lisa Carpine
Aug 12, 2007 rated it liked it
Overall I am glad I read this series, although I absolutely hated the last book. Snicket's wry style hooked me from the beginning and kept me going through some of the early books (which tend to drag a little due to the repetitive nature of the earlier books). The overall plot of the series is well laid out and really starts to hit its stride around book 6. I loved that the characters started to grow and develop at that point as well. The books deal with some important themes and raise great que ...more
Emily
Jul 02, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: perpetual pessimists
what to say about a series whose title says it all? very wittily-written prose and nonsensical...nonsense at the same time. if you don't have a kid in you and don't have the ability to pull yourself out of the dark depths of your psyche, then don't read these books. even the author advises you to walk away, bury them in a deep dark hole and let the worms eat the pages. i don't exaggerate.

but despite the absurdly depressing stories and repetitive formula of the plot...i ended up likin
Amelia
Aug 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: children without ADD
I was very disappointed by how many mysteries were left unsolved. I can't imagine anyone who would like to be strung out for 13 books only to have all of their questions unanswered. They are cleverly written books and very funny at times, but the plot drove me nuts. Each book only made me more confused! But I think that's what the author was going for.
Julia
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love this series. It can be very special, just live me. I know a lot of people think it sucks, but it doesn't!
Vanessa
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books, favorites
When I was little, my school's library had the Series of Unfortunate Events series, but they had two red dots on their spines. One read dot meant that you had to be at least in sixth grade to check it out, and two red dots meant that only eighth graders could check it out. However, by the time I reached sixth grade, I realized that the local public library had no such age restrictions and read the entire series within a month. I thoroughly enjoyed the series, but I didn't quite understand why th ...more
Nick
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Roberta
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mina B
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I think all of these books were in the 4 to 5 star range. Even though they were kind of predictable because bad things kept happening to the characters, I enjoyed all of the books and couldn't put them down. I liked how the narrator's perspective on the book really had an impact on the mood of the story. I also like how everything wrapped up and made sense at the very end of the last book. None of the major problems throughout the story were solved until the last chapter of the last book. This i ...more
Vishal G.
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I found this series quite good but a little boring
MHC
I probably read this about 10+ years ago and when you can still recall scenes and characters and even actual quotes from a book, you KNOW it was a legendary story.
lol Count Olaf.
Niza
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE BEST BOOKS EVER!!!!!!!!!!
Daniel Cazacu López
I love these books. I cannot express how much I like them and what they mean to me.
Nadine
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was so much fun reading this series with my son. I loved how the characters grew and developed from installment to installment and although each one could be read on its own, we were also along for the ride as the Baudelaire orphans seek to unravel the mysteries of their family.
Isabella Fassio
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. He kept telling us to stop, which made reading it more enjoyable. I would recommend this book to people who like fiction.
Kate Poetry
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read these as a child. I really enjoyed them and still they are in my mind.

• Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1-5)
  • Harry Potter Series Box Set (Harry Potter, #1-7)
  • The Alex Rider Boxed Set, #1-9 (Alex Rider #1-9)
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles Box Set (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-5)
  • Artemis Fowl Collection (Artemis Fowl, #1-7)
  • The Heroes of Olympus Boxed Set (The Heroes of Olympus, #1-5)
  • Dead Scared (Haunt, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society Collection (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1-3)
  • The Bartimaeus Trilogy Boxed Set (Bartimaeus, #1-3)
  • The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset (The Hunger Games, #1-3)
  • Pendragon (Boxed Set): The Merchant of Death; The Lost City of Faar; The Never War (Pendragon, #1-3)
  • Gregor the Overlander Box Set (Underland Chronicles, #1-5)
  • The Inkheart Trilogy: Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath
  • The Hogwarts Library
  • Georgia Nicolson Pack (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1-10)
  • Scott Pilgrim the Complete Series (Scott Pilgrim, #1-6)
  • Specky Magee (Specky Magee, #1)
  • Geronimo Stilton Collection

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All T

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
“If you like books with happy endings then put this book down immediately.” 97 likes
“Deciding on the right thing to do in a situation is a bit like deciding on the right thing to wear to a party. It is easy to decide on what is wrong to wear to a party, such as deep-sea diving equipment or a pair of large pillows, but deciding what is right is much trickier. It might seem right to wear a navy blue suit, for instance, but when you arrive there could be several other people wearing the same thing, and you could end up being handcuffed due to a case of mistaken identity. It might seem right to wear your favorite pair of shoes, but there could be a sudden flood at the party, and your shoes would be ruined. And it might seem right to wear a suit of armor to the party, but there could be several other people wearing the same thing, and you could end up being caught in a flood due to a case of mistaken identity, and find yourself drifting out to sea wishing that you were wearing deep-sea diving equipment after all. The truth is that you can never be sure if you have decided on the right thing until the party is over, and by then it is too late to go back and change your mind, which is why the world is filled with people doing terrible things and wearing ugly clothing, and so few volunteers who are able to stop them.” 8 likes