Start by marking “The Obsession” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  8,666 ratings  ·  1,435 reviews
A classic sort of love story... except somebody might wind up dead.

Nobody knows Delilah like Logan does. Nobody. He makes sure of it by learning everything he can through her social media and watching her through a hidden camera he has trained on her house. Some might call him a stalker. Logan prefers to be called “romantic.”

But after Logan sees Delilah killing her abusive
Published February 2nd 2021 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Obsession, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Aarav
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
E :) the sequel is called "the new girl" i do believe. im not sure though…morethe sequel is called "the new girl" i do believe. im not sure though(less)

·  8,666 ratings  ·  1,435 reviews

Start your review of The Obsession
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
“You” meets “Pretty Little Liars” with a little Weeds and Killing Eve vibes!

It’s heart pounding, exciting, fast pacing, riveting one sit read with two very disturbed and batshit crazy narrators!

Poor Logan, obsessive, stalker, fully committed, dreamy boyfriend is so unlucky in love. He is hot, popular, lacrosse team player who can date any girl he wants but his girlfriend choices couldn’t be so wrong!

First she fell hard for Sophie who treated like him like turd on her shoes, rejecting his pure
jessica
Dec 09, 2020 rated it liked it
this is a really interesting story. a little simple, but great for fans looking to fill that 'you' void.

i think at face value, this is good for what it is. boy meets girl. boy stalks girl. boy blackmails girl. girl changes that. again, pretty simple and straightforward. the pacing is pretty quick, but i think some more twists and turns could have elevated the story as so much of the plot content is given in the synopsis.

i also think the ending feels somewhat rushed. an epilogue or some sor
Drey
Apr 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!

... An obsession with love.

That was one of a serious fucked-up. I have begun to doubt my freaking sanity. An author once said, "We don't always get a happily ever after no matter hard we work for it." Someone did work harder aiming a happy ending in this one. But, there would be a happily ever after if one of them would end up dead?

Note: This is a young adult fiction.

Logan thought of Delilah as his destiny when he first saw her. He would do everything to protect and make her as his
aly ☆彡
Feb 07, 2022 rated it liked it
(This review contain a major spoiler in the ending)

How are you not lure in as soon as you read the blurb? A classic sort of love story… except somebody might wind up dead — yeah, I am sold! Told in a dual POV, The Obsession manages to bring me into such a rollercoaster ride for how suspenseful and suffocating it was before it breaks me.

What I like best about this book is how Sutanto created two distinct main characters who are allegorically similar. With all of his delusions and obsessions towa
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Boy meets girl. Girl meats boy.
What happens when you're both psychos and just don't know it yet? The Obsession does... Beware!
Q:
I knew every curve of her mind, the parts no one else did. (c)
Q:
Even in my wildest dreams, I never thought things would progress this well, everything clicking into place beautifully, like streams flowing downhill to join a river, everything was meant to be. I was so delirious with the touch of her, the scent everywhere around me, that I didn’t realize ... (c)
“Frat p
Mareeva

I feel like I just experienced the Nickelodeon version of You

This truly was the cutest and somehow saddest thriller I've ever read. I added the .5* because I was in the mood to be crushed into a million pieces and this book did a quarter of the job - meaning I felt enough sadness to almost cry, but then my black heart remembered who she was.

In order to fit the book, I'll summarise in very simple terms:

Logan met Delilah (Dee) entirely by accident, it was obsession at first sight. She lo
Bren fall in love with the sea.
Delusional disorder is a mental illness in which the patient presents delusions. Apart from delusions, people with DD may continue to socialise and function in a normal manner and their behaviour does not necessarily generally seem odd.

by Jesse Q. Sutanto

My Review:

I enjoyed this little stalker book way more than I would have expected.

I think one reason for that is that it is not your typical stalker book. Logan is indeed obsessed with Dee but there are so many other dynamics at pl
TJ ☾
Apr 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars🌟

Boy meets girl.
Boy stalks girl.
Girl gets revenge.
A classic sort of love story... except somebody might end up dead.

Yeah I was defenseless against that blurb. *Slaps cover affectionately* so much plot in this baby. I loved being in Logan's delusional mind, it felt like rolling around in a mental asylum or a vat of tar. It was amazing. This book was YA tho so manage your expectations you sickos, it never gets forreal grotesque. *cries quietly in a corner*

If you've ever seen the Ne
Melanie (mells_view)
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Something was off. Something that felt big, lurking underneath us the way a giant sea creature did, writhing right below the calm surface before bursting out of the water with its jaws open.

The Obsession is one of those books where I thought I knew how things were going to go, and then Jesse Q. Sutanto laughed at me, because things didn’t go anything like I was expecting. If someone asked me to explain The Obsession in one sentence, it would be, on the surface level it will make you question you
Tijana
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
ARC received via NetGalley and I'm thankful to the moon and back for it.

WHAAAAAAT?????
WHAT JUST HAPPENED, MY HEART IS POUNDING, I'M LOST FOR WORDS!
This was sickly, disturbingly delicious and I'm kind of afraid of myself, considering how passionately I loved that horrible, disturbing ending.
I might write a proper review one day. Right now, my entire being is going through some weird emotions.

Probably the best YA thriller ever.
Booktastically Amazing
WHAT?!

WHAT?!

WHAAAAATT?!?

WHAT WAS THAT ENDING, NO. WHAT?! NO. NO.

Uh... excuse me, *raising hand* I did not sign up for this.

but I loved it

Review is an incoming threat. Beware.

I just realized this is part of a series.
I just-
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
“You’re saying if you can’t have me, no one else can?”

“Let’s not find out, okay?”

I had a ball with Jesse Q. Sutanto’s Dial A for Aunties so when I saw Obsession marketed as a “You for Young Adults” I was all over it. I mean, if you don’t love Joe you just don’t know what you’re missing.

This story is all about . . . .

The girl of Logan’s dreams. Logan has been unlucky in love before, so he decides to get to know Delilah a little before making his move. And the way he’s going to go about
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Wow! This was a solid rollercoaster of twists and turns, replete with some feminist underpinnings, morally gray heroines, and serious stalker vibes. I feel like this is almost one of those 70s revenge-sploitation movies softened up for a YA audience with shades of YOU. If that sounds like fun, it is. Logan is a creep who could give all of r/niceguys a run for their money.

THE OBSESSION is a dual POV story about Logan and Delilah. Logan wa
Jaleesa
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
CW/TW: Child and Domestic Abuse, Suicide, Discussion of Rape, Drug use/overdose, Murder, Stalking

The Obsession was my first ever "stalker" novel. Before I begin this review, I want to preface this with the fact that this book was born out of the authors own experience with a stalker, and I want to be sure I take that into consideration as that was a real experience and is a real experience for many people.

As far as the book is concerned, I had extremely high hopes. From the beginning, I was slig
jenna (jennajustreads)
Mar 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This was a very interesting book, to say the least.

There were many things I enjoyed about it, but I felt like by the end I was still wanting more. I wish I could’ve learned more about Sophie and the events that occurred after the ending. But that’s also a good thing because the author made the characters feel extremely real and the story was plotted well.

I really wish it had a more climatic ending, but overall I enjoyed it. 3.75/5
konstantina
Do you have an unhealthy obsession with female killers or are you normal
el
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
WOWSERS this was a good read!! Delilah just reminded me of Joe Goldberg from "YOU". But the ending?? I need to know more!! ...more
Ms. Woc Reader
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was ok
So The Obsession is a dual POV story about a creep named Logan who becomes obsessed with Delilah who suffers from trauma caused by an abusive family situation. The two both attend the same elite North California private school and as Logan's obsession with Delilah grows he uncovers evidence that she killed her almost stepfather, an abuse copy and uses that to draw her closer. Delilah is tired of being the victim to controlling men and must find a way out.

I was struggling to get into this one at
Nursebookie
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a fast easy read with a simple premise.
Tightly plotted, this story with a twisted ending was quite the thrilling read.

I thought this was a great debut and a fantastic young adult contemporary fiction set in an exclusive private school in Silicon Valley.

This atmospheric read and psychological thriller took me by surprise by this single sitting thriller read I really enjoyed.

I look forward to Jesse Sutanto’s next book. She is quite the promising author!
Cynthia
Jan 25, 2021 marked it as abandoned-books
Abandoning.

I thought this would be fun but also empowering for all females who’ve had to endure something similar. Maybe the author had good intentions, but this feels like pure frivolity.

Please, authors, if you are going to use serious topics like domestic violence or stalking in your narrative, do your research. And by research, I mean read articles, talk to survivors, learn about how predators truly behave. Don’t go off of the Hollywood version or other stories that have used these traumati
♛ Garima ♛
Is that 'YOU'?

I absolutely loved it! it is YOU but better...

Erotomania is a type of delusional disorder where the affected person believes that another person is in love with him or her.

An attempt to contradict the belief is likely to arouse an inappropriately
Martina
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I may be a little obsessed with stalkers. I find stories about stalkers fascinating! I cannot get enough.

The Obsession is told in a dual POV. We meet the stalker Logan who has an unhealthy obsession with Delilah.
From Delilahs POV we find out she is sick and tired of being controlled by men so she decides to take matters into her own hands. And so our story begins!

I really enjoyed this book! I would compare this to You (YA version) it kept me interested the whole time. This book made me uncomf
~Bellegirl91~
Dec 18, 2021 rated it did not like it
DNF AT 87%

I tried.....I really did try to hold out until part two of this book. Out of the duo first person POV for Logan and Delilah, I became bored and annoyed by Delilah's character almost the entire time and just had so many issues with her which is strange when I should've been having it with Logan who's your typical stalker; but it was Delilah from the start. Not only that, but I had some issues with dialogue/first person POV thoughts.

For example, when the police are questioning her abo
Kristi
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
“We’ll be like Romeo and Juliet; our love will be preserved forever.”

The Obsession brings the creep factor and I couldn’t help but liken Logan to Joe in You by Caroline Kepnes, his obsessive behavior is front and center, he knows he’s doing it but call’s it love. In turn, Delilah has had a fairly rough life, losing her father and having to put up with an abusive step-father, she’s had enough of controlling men in her life. Logan doesn’t know what he’s getting in to when he sets his sights on De
Barbara Behring
Jun 07, 2021 rated it liked it
Obsession is a very interesting book about a very familiar topic with an unique twist.
Codie Wallace
Jan 08, 2022 rated it really liked it
Ahhh I love the “quiet” girl that finally gets her revenge trope. And my oh my was the revenge worthy in this book. Not only that. But the KARMA for both men in this book!!!

Need something like the show “you” on Netflix? This might be perfect for you. Well the “target” version I guess I should say.

You will find to be very uncomfortable and white knuckled several times in this book. But wow did the plot make up for it! How many times I wanted to scream at her.

Hottie Logan isn’t exactly who he se
Cherlynn | cherreading
✨ "Logan was fizz and fireworks. Beneath the model good looks was a brain bursting with brilliance. Delicious sharp-edged wit, an intense stare that made you feel he was truly listening to what you were saying. Irresistible. I knew what it was like to be under his spell, to be sucked into the Logan vortex."

This was a fast-paced read that was really interesting and promising in the beginning. I particularly loved all the (accurate) mentions of Singapore because we are so rarely mentioned in inter
Kelly
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing

This book is compared to the TV show "You" and I agree completely as it gave me those vibes so many times. If you're looking to read YA version of You (with differences, of course) then pick this up. I wasn't disappointed as I really enjoyed this book. I was hooked immediately and I couldn't stop reading until I knew how it would end.

The Obsession is about a boy named Logan meeting a girl named Delilah. He is immediately in love with this new girl who looks like a copy of his ex-girlfr
kate
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Fast paced, über creepy and utterly additive.

This is the perfect book for YA readers wanting a twisted read with major 'You' vibes, whilst also exploring topics such as domestic abuse.

TW: domestic abuse (emotional & physical), racism, mention of suicide.
alex (hiatus)
Mar 23, 2021 marked it as to-read
i can’t tell if I’m concerned or proud of myself for wanting to read this book.

• Beach Read
  • The Sea Is Salt and So Am I
  • Wow, No Thank You.: Essays
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • The Grace Year
  • Blood Like Magic (Blood Like Magic, #1)
  • These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)
  • The Mercies
  • Magic for Liars
  • Mexican Gothic
  • The Verdigris Pawn
  • A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)
  • A Winter's Promise (The Mirror Visitor #1)
  • Pet
  • The Weight of Feathers
  • The House of Illusionists
  • We Are Not From Here
See top shelves…
Jesse Q Sutanto grew up shuttling back and forth between Jakarta and Singapore and sees both cities as her homes. She has a Masters degree from Oxford University, though she has yet to figure out a way of saying that without sounding obnoxious. She is currently living back in Jakarta on the same street as her parents and about seven hundred meddlesome aunties. When she's not tearing out her hair o ...more

Articles featuring this book