Start by marking “You (You, #1)” as Want to Read:
You (You, #1)

You (You #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  49,755 Ratings  ·  8,722 Reviews
When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card.

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown Uni
Published September 30th 2014 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books (first published September 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about You, please sign up.

Kelly Short answer-NO. But it might be useful for older teens to scare the shit out of them about social media.

Emily May
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, 2014

I'm not sure what crazy people shelved this book as "romance". You is romantic in the same way that Lolita is romantic. In other words: an insane, obsessive and manipulative romance from the perspective of a charming psychopath.

It's a fucked up tale told from the POV of a stalker who obsesses over and spies on a young woman. He gradually plants himself into her life and seeks a relationship with her, whilst simultaneously hacking her emails and following every little thing she does. If you're lo
Colleen Hoover
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally review books when I've personally slept with the author, and this time is no different. I have never slept with Caroline Kepnes.
You should read YOU.
See what I did there?
That's because you can't read, then!
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
There aren't a lot of Guinevere Becks in the world-just the one. The first thing I had to find was your home and the Internet was designed with love in mind. It gave me so much of you, Beck.

So starts Joe's little love fest with Beck. After she comes into the bookstore that he works at he feels their connection so strongly that he knows she feels the same. Even if she hasn't realized that fact yet.
Joe might be a tad psycho. That's okay though, he is the best stalker psycho I've ever had the pri
Candace
Brilliant! This book was unlike anything I've ever read before. I enjoyed every minute of this deranged story.

Welcome to the mind of Joe, a seemingly normal guy that works in a bookshop. However, there is nothing normal about Joe. His mind is a fascinating place to be, turning brief encounters into meaningful events and even, obsessions. He's a stalker, a murderer and the most candidly honest character that I've ever crossed.

The thing about Joe is that his craziness sucks you in. I loved Joe and
Raeleen Lemay
4.5/5

THIS WAS GREAT. So freaky and messed up, just what I was in the mood for! I'm so very excited for the sequel (which apparently is up on NetGalley for anybody who can't wait).
Steph Sinclair
I don't even want to know what kind of research needed to be done to write this novel. The ending left a pretty big plot berg, but YOU was strangely addictive. What's even more strange was how Kepnes somehow got me to both root for Joe and be disgusted with him and myself simultaneously. Excuse me, I need to shower.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Commercial Photography

Before I even get started, let me say this is not a book for everyone. Hell, it might not be a book for anyone except for Snotchocheez and myself. There is no middle-ground to be had here. This book is offensive and the characters are all vile and I expect opinions to be extremely polarized. And I totally respect that . . . but please have the decency to not troll my review and tell me how wrong I am or that I’m a pscyho. I’m already
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
This was a re-read on audio and it went from 5 stars to 3 stars for me. And it WASN'T because of the audio! And FYI: This book has explicit sexual situations and other stuff.

I wanted to kill everyone in this book this time around!

I mean Joe (the stalker is not the only nut job) the girl he latched onto, I hated and I hated her friend!
They were all bat shit nuts!! Right off the farm people!

I still have it 3 stars because I think the author did a fantastic job with Joe the stalker. You hated hi
Kristin (KC)
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full review posted

*4 stars for plot--5 stars for writing*

It’s been 16 minutes and 4 hours since I’ve finished reading this lunatic of a book—and although I am scared and disturbed and feeling straight-up icky, I’m also outrageously impressed.

With the exception of certain scenarios appearing just a bit too fitting and orchestrated (e.g. multiple persons failing to put pass codes on their phones so a certain stalker can do his job with ease), I think this book was pretty damn amazing.

For me, it w
karen
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jury-duty-book
…the problem with books is that they end. They seduce you. They spread their legs to you and pull you inside. And you go deep and leave your possessions and your ties to the world at the door and you like it inside and you don't want for your possessions or your ties and then, the book evaporates.

this was recommended to me by eeeeeveryone a few years back when it seemed a little cult was being formed around this book, and i'd been meaning to read it for a long time; so long, in fact, that i'd fo
Matthew
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book while recovering from surgery. I was medicated and kind of loopy. Considering how weird this book is, it is kind of perfect!

Not for the feint of heart! This book is demented and twisted. You will feel uncomfortable that the words on these pages came from someone and were actually published. You will feel guilty for being enthralled by the madness and behavior of the narrator. You will start to question your own sanity as you realize you are not quite sure who you are cheerin
Riley
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFFkt...

This book will not be for everyone. You will either love it or hate it. Obviously I loved it. This book messed with my mind so much and made me see things in a whole new light. We live in an age where our whole lives are one click away on the internet. Anyone can find out anything about you. We have no privacy. Our lives are documented on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, ect. Joe, the main character, uses the internet and social media to his adv
Delee
You've come home to me, delivered at last, on a Tuesday, 10:06 a.m. Every day I commute to this shop on the Lower East Side from my place in Bed-Stuy. Every day I close up without finding anyone like you. Look at you, born into my world today.

I have only had one other experience reading second person narration (that I can remember) Bright Lights, Big City- I have to say I wasn't a huge fan, and I found myself avoiding anything written in that point of view...until YOU...

photo b0c6aed0-8abb-4fd4-9c21-712bf1ee30fb_zpsa17ab9b3.jpg

From the moment Guinevere
Edward Lorn
First and foremost: THIS IS NOT A ROMANCE. This book is to romance what The Shining is to self-help books.

I used to say, "Friends don't let friends write in second person." I never enjoyed the style outside of choose-your-own-adventure books, and felt second person had no place in adult literature. But I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. And, boy, was I wrong.

You, by Caroline Kepnes is a dark book told in the aforementioned second person. The titular You is Guinevere Beck (aka Beck, or simpl
Theresa
Joe Goldberg is looking for true love. Joe is pretty sure he's found it with Guinevere Beck. Too bad Joe is a creepy, delusional, obsessive stalker! "You" by Caroline Kepnes is an addictive, riveting, and fast-paced novel. The writing is filled with dark humor. I loved Joe's wicked sense of humor. He is a riot! I found myself rooting for Joe even though he's a bad, bad man. Beck is one of those characters you will love to hate. She's a compulsive liar, reckless, manipulative, hypersexual, and a ...more
Esil
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh, you are clever, aren’t you, Ms. Kepnes. Clever like a fox. But I’ve got your number. I’ll be watching you. That little book you wrote “You” is really not my kind of book – and you knew that. A book written from the perspective of a male stalker? Please! So trashy, so icky. There was no way I was going to read that book. But then you started setting traps to lure me. You planted some Goodreads reviews written by some of my friends – people you know I trust and respect. You had them raving abo ...more
emma
I posted this review!!! Ugh guys, I cannot say this enough: this book. Seriously. Whoa. Find it here: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...
---

On the last day of 2017, here's the full review of my last favorite of the year.
---

I only know one way to like music. That is when you hear a song and you’re instantly like, Holy shit this is THE SONG, and then you are fully unable to listen to any other music, everything else pales in comparison, you can only listen to this one song on an endless loop
❄️Nani❄️
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Original rating: 4.75

I have decided to up my rating to full 5⭐ because you know what? I'm willing to overlook/forgive that tiny bit of the rushed ending (for which I took 0.25 off) because JOE MORE THAN MADE UP FOR IT!
--------------------------

I never thought I’d say this but, move over Victor & Eli because there’s a new nutcase in town. Yup, it happened. I finally found a character who makes these two lunatics (Vicious) seem like the most stable and sane guys. Oh my days!

Told from Joe Gol
James
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 out of 5 stars to You, the first of a two-book thriller and suspense series, written in 2014 by Caroline Kepnes. All I can start out with is wow - I loved it! I've tried to pull out all spoilers, but I do give a little bit of the high-level plot and antics away, as I think it will make you want to read it more.

Why This Book
My friend Medhat asked if I’d be interested in a buddy read with him and proposed 5 different books. I’d read 1 already, didn’t have an interest in 1 of them, and 2 were
Maxwell
Jul 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Okay, this book is really, really hard for me to rate. Because plot-wise it was engaging, addictive, and thoroughly thrilling. I had to find out what happened next. And it was so twisted and sick and entertaining.

But content-wise, there were a lot of problems I had with this book. I have a really hard time with how explicit and violent it was; it makes me hesitant to recommend to people. There were definitely points in the story that I was disturbed and a bit offended. The writing is unique and
Lindsey Rey
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, thriller, 2015
ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!!!!! I've never been happier to know a book has a sequel.
Brandi
description

What a fucking brilliantly twisted novel. Oh, Joe, your mind had me compulsively turning the page, desperate to see what was to come. I will say, this book isn't for everyone, and the second person narration took some getting use to, but I still really enjoyed it.

"You didn't walk in here for books, Beck. You didn't have to say my name. You didn't have to smile or listen or take me in. But you did. Your signature is on the receipt. This wasn't a cash transaction and it wasn't a coded debit. Thi
April
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad but not good either. I don't know I kind of expected to enjoy this book a little bit more given all the hype around it. Felt like some parts of the book could of been left out or was being dragged out.
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
“You are a woman and I am a man
and we belong in the dark together.”

This is one of the most disturbing (in a good way) books i have ever read, and i've read MANY of them. I am kind of speechless right now. I loved the writing style and Joe's voice. It's written in 2nd person, which makes the story even more sinister and real. I tried reading Stolen (that's also written in second person) but couldn't get into it, that's why i was a little hesitant to read this. I shouldn't have worried. In the
Berit☀️✨
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 seriously sick stars🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
This book was fantastically disturbing! I mean pretty much everyone in this book was really well..... disturbed! I really don't know what to think of myself..... but I enjoyed being in the mind of a psychopath for 11 hours on audio!

I would strongly recommend the audio on this book.... the narrator Santino Fontana does amazing! It's like you are there.... in Joe’s head.... and as crazy as Joe is, he really is quite the compelling character.....
Wow! Wow! Wow! If you a
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
6+ Stars!!

WOW WOW WOW, I LOVED this book was SO MUCH!!

description

From page one I was sucked into this story. It's told in a second-person narrative which took a bit of getting used to but worked really well for this novel.

Joe deliciously twisted and disturbed Joe, meets the wholly unlikable Beck in his bookstore one day, and the infatuation begins.

description

What follows is a fabulously twisted and dark commentary on today's society. The ease in which someone can stalk another through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram et
Hannah
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reading this was like watching a crossover episode between Criminal Minds and Law and Order: SVU told from the criminal’s perspective.

I loved every second of it.
Judith
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Judith by: Jessica
*** This was just as twisted as I thought it would be but oh,so good. ***

"The internet was designed with love in mind.It gave me so much more of you."

Well,I've been looking at this one for ages and it wasn't until a friend recommended it that I thought I'd give it a go.The blurb promises all dark,twisted things and it didn't disappoint.

THIS IS A STORY OF OBSESSIVE LOVE...

Joe becomes totally fixated with a young woman,Beck,when she visits the bookstore he works in.
He feels a strong connection
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Well, I was debating putting this aside for awhile since I was having a hard time getting into this one. I decided to pick it up and finish it.

I'm not sure why, but this book didn't hit me like most other people. I found the plot very interesting and actually liked Joe's character more than anyone else's. I just felt like this story could have been told in fewer pages. Overall a better read than I had anticipated based on the first few chapters. I feel I would have given this a higher
Luffy
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded to 4. I didn't like any of the characters here. Not one. But the story woven around these two people, Joe and Guinevere, is more than the sum of it's parts. It's a true gestalt. Frankly this year I've read a lot about stalkers and I'm a bit saturated with this plot device.

I read a book called the Night Stalker by Chris Carter a couple of years ago. There you meet someone who changes himself to ingratiate himself to the subject of his desire, a young girl who is an artist. In th
Crazy For NA Books: You, by Caroline Kepnes → Start Date: January 10th, 2018 22 13 Jan 15, 2018 07:41PM
You TV series 4 85 Nov 26, 2017 10:35PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: You by Caroline Kepnes - Restarting September 13th 2017 76 193 Sep 21, 2017 08:36PM
A Million More Pages: BOTM 2017 - You - Starts 11th March 37 59 Jul 28, 2017 12:25AM
Around the Year i...: You, by Caroline Kepnes 8 85 Jul 08, 2017 05:44PM
  • See Jane Run
  • The Memory Box
  • Dangerous Girls
  • The Girl in 6E (Deanna Madden, #1)
  • The Killing Circle
  • Second Life
  • Black Iris
  • The End: A Dusty Futuretake (Dusty, #1.25)
  • Near Enemy (Spademan, #2)
  • Chemistry
  • When We Were Animals
  • Sunset City
  • Push (Push, #1)
202260
Caroline Kepnes is the author of You and Hidden Bodies. She splits her time between Los Angeles, California and Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

She would love to hear from you over on Facebook.
More about Caroline Kepnes...

You (2 books)
  • Hidden Bodies (You, #2)
“The problem with books is that they end.” 310 likes
“If we were teenagers, I could kiss you. But I’m on a platform behind a counter wearing a name tag and we’re too old to be young.” 188 likes