Start by marking “Devolution” as Want to Read:
Devolution

Devolution

The #1 bestselling author of World War Z takes on the Bigfoot legend with a tale that blurs the lines between human and beast—and asks what we are capable of in the face of the unimaginable.

As the ash and chaos from Mount Rainier’s eruption swirled and finally settled, the story of the Greenloop massacre has passed unnoticed, unexamined . . . until now.

But the journals of
Expected publication: May 12th 2020 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Devolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devolution

Start your review of Devolution
megs_bookrack
Devolution tackles the legend of Bigfoot...

...told through a set of found journals and an original investigation.

It's all I have ever wanted in a book and more.
Tucker
World War Z was the first book ever to literally make my heart pound inside my chest. So, yes, I am very excited for this
Ash
Dec 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
This cover is so ugly but I would die for another Max Brooks novel so you know I’ll read it.
Trin
Jan 12, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear. I loved World War Z, and waited so long for a follow up, but this has none of its predecessor's cleverness or spark. Not because "Bigfoot attack" is inherently a dumber concept that "worldwide zombie plague" -- both are pretty goofy, and in WWZ, the seriousness with which Brooks tackles the silly setup is a large part of the charm. But here the mechanics fail him.

Devolution is told (for the most part) as a found diary, which is simply not a good format for an action/suspense story.
Em
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s so Max Brooks-y!!! I loved WWZ so much I read it twice, and I’m so glad he’s back to working in a similar form again. This has all the same hallmarks as WWZ - socio-economic and political background that enrich and lends plausibility to the events of the novel, as well as neat little twists of the knife here and there when you’re least expecting them. Highly highly recommended.
Stephen Stewart
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced readers’ copy of this book.

Devolution, by Max Brooks, weaves a series of narratives and accounts to retell the story of the Greenloop community and the disaster that befalls it. Much like Brooks’ other acclaimed novel, World War Z, Devolution features a frame narrative, with a journalist conducting interviews and reading Kate Holland’s journal in an expose of the Greenloop massacre. While World War Z uses a myriad of different interviews to broaden the scope and
Melissa
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Devolution by Max Brooks is so. much. fun.

Brooks' World War Z is one of my favourite books of all time. I've re-read it again and again (and in fact just listened to the audio for the first time this month), so when I saw that he'd written a new book in a similar style but chronicling a Bigfoot encounter, I was already excited.

The format and style weren't as close to World War Z as I was expecting, but that wasn't to the book's detriment. The former is told as a series of interviews with a wide
George1st
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember a few years ago, one day being in Glasgow and unexpectedly seeing it turned into a film set that transformed it's city centre into downtown Philadelphia for the movie World War Z based on the novel by Max Brooks. Now in his latest book Brooks has moved from zombies to that ever popular figure from Cryptozoology, the North American Sasquatch. The main narrative takes the form of diary entries made by Kate Holland, her diary being found at the deserted and destroyed remote eco-village ...more
Jen Ryan
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved World War Z so I was very excited to see a new title by Max Brooks. I was not disappointed. Similar to WWZ the story is told through journal entries and interviews. The planned community of Greenloop has everything a techie could desire while being nestled in the forest near Mt. Rainier. The houses are ultra high tech, groceries are delivered by drone. The big cites are close enough to visit for fun but far enough away that the residents feel really in touch with nature. Then Mt. Rainier ...more
Margaret Schoen
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a review of an ARC from NetGalley.

An eruption of Mount Ranier leads to chaos in the Pacific Northwest, and to Greenloop, a small community of "smart homes" in the wilderness near Ranier park, being completely cut off from society. And then, things start getting weird. Strange sighting of...something...in the woods, with a terrible smell and terrifying howls. Mountain lions being torn limb from limb. And footprints that look human, but way too big to be believed.

Like World War Z, Brooks
Miranda
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I would expect nothing less from Max Brooks.

This is the story of a small community that has chosen to live off the grid, but when an unexpected natural disaster occurs, the community finds themselves pitted against a tribe of Sasquatch. This story is told through a series of journal entries and interviews.

I wasn't particularly fond of any of the characters, but I was enamored with the action which is precisely why I read Max Brooks. He writes with a scientific flare that is easy to
Deirdre Rosenberg
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone is excited for this one, I think! And for good reason- Max Brooks is awesome. I am really happy to let everyone know that this book is great. It is fast-paced and exciting. It has wonderful characters and feels real, much like WWZ felt real. I love that it’s about Bigfoot. That was such a fun angle. There is a dark humor to this novel, along with just a general darkness that adds a really nice grittiness to all of it.
Kmleeh
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a first time Max Brooks reader, let me just say wow. I loved this book from the slow burn introduction in the journal entries, smattered with interviews and other observations, down to the cliffhanger ending. While I wouldn't call this novel a horror novel, I will say it was so good it gave me nightmares. The characters were fully drawn and human, right down to bad decisions and growth.
Can't wait to read more from Brooks.
Em
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huh! This is a fun book, in a gory, horrifying, survival kinda way. I said WHOA out loud a couple times. It’s no work of great literature, but it’s entertaining. It’s prime horror movie content. I don’t regret reading it, even though it didn’t really meet my expectations. There were a couple characters I wish we’d learned more about, but I enjoyed getting to know the folks the novel did take the time to focus on.
Marissa
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is exactly the sort of book Max Brooks' fans have been waiting for since "World War Z." Tense and scary, I honestly could not put it down. Please write another book soon, Mr. Brooks!!

**Thank you to NetGalley and Random House/Del Rey for the eARC!**
Len or Len
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent thriller about a group trapped by Mt. Rainier's eruption and their quest to survive, with the added threat of a Sasquatch-like creature. Brooks builds up the suspense and dread with a master's touch. The lead character, Kate Holland, has her story told by her own words she left in a journal. This is sure to be made into a movie.
Richard Stuart
Reads like a movie treatment and is just barely entertaining enough for genre fiction.
Ken Chappell
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Told through journal entries and interviews with experts this novel is fast paced and eerily believeable. Brooks brings the legend of bigfoot to reality.
Trevor
Dec 09, 2019

• Darling Rose Gold
  • The Return
  • In Five Years
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • The Dilemma
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • American Dirt
  • The Only Good Indians
Max Brooks is The New York Times bestselling author of The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z. He has been called ”the Studs Terkel of zombie journalism.“

Brooks is the son of director Mel Brooks and the late actress Anne Bancroft. He is a 1994 graduate of Pitzer College. His wife, Michelle, is a screenwriter, and the couple have a son, Henry.