Start by marking “The Vision” as Want to Read:

DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES...

He's watching you. He knows what you're doing. He knows what you're thinking. He's coming after you.

DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES...

He has a knife. The steel blade gleams. Whenever you close your eyes, you can see it--the tip of his knife, pointing at your chest.

DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES...

He's closing them for you.

"A master of sheer fright... the tension never
Mass Market Paperback, 303 pages
Published March 1st 1986 by Berkley Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Vision, please sign up.
Robin I knew it was either him or Max, but then decided Max was too obvious a choice.

Start your review of The Vision
Fred
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, re-read
Koontzland - February 2019 Group Read
Mary now 30 years old was attacked 24 years ago when 6.
Mary has psychic powers, “The Vision” allows her to see the next attacks/crimes. She’s always scared/confused of murders/attacks - the attacks are more descriptive than I remember in my first read.

A psychiatrist helps with “The Vision” - psychic or haunted? She describes the family gardener, Mitchell, “attacking” her when a child. Her clairvoyance started after Mitchell’s death....

The killer is a un
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, thriller, stalker
Every move you make, every breath you take, he'll be watching you...

Jesus christ this book was creepy! I have yet to read a book that has scared me, but The Vision was certainly eerie enough and disturbing enough to make me wonder about it days after finishing it. Koontz' work is well-written, full of vibrant characters and a gripping plot. Excellent book, I highly recommend it.
The Face of Your Father
Reading Koontz is like Russian Roulette..

This time, the gun was pointed at me.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
When intuition and memory provide conflicting information, eventually the truth is revealed. Dean Koontz has explored this theme in other novels: The Key to Midnight, The House of Thunder, False Memory, Ashley Bell etc.

The Vision gives us a glimpse of early Dean Koontz and we see hints of future novels. For example, Bats play a significant role in this story and they also show up in the concluding Odd Thomas novel, Saint Odd. Also, like Odd, Mary Bergen is sometimes frustrated that her visions
Bettie
Description: Mary Bergen is a clairvoyant, able to forsee murders that will happen in the near future, but unable to prevent them from taking place. And now she is up against a power that is stronger than her own, a power that is taking her over, a power that is trying to kill her before she can identify it...

Opening: 'GLOVES OF BLOOD.'
The woman raised her hands and stared at them, stared through them.
Her voice was soft but tense. 'Blood on his hands.' Her own hands were clean and pale.
Her husba
Rod
Freakishly sick and disturbing supernatural serial killer murder mystery. Yet interesting and well written as always - with good characters. But I don't recommend that anyone should ever read this. I'm gonna try and forget that I did.

Shame on dean koontz for even thinking these thoughts and writing them down as entertainment. Koontz isn't usually sexually repulsive. This isn't something we should be amused by.

Basic storyline: A lady with a dark repressed past (who is now a Clairvoyant crime-sol
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Pretty good book with a surprise twist at the end. I guessed it as a possibility just because it was unexpected but it was still a good storyline. Sometimes the protagonist got on my nerves and the couple banter bordered on realistic much of the time. Not the best, fairly mediocre, but still attention-grabbing and worth a read if you have it laying around.
Coni (conireads or skingproject)
This was a fun, quick book. A woman clairvoyant, Mary, routinely helps the police with investigations due to her visions she receives of murders that are about to happen. She is stuck on a certain case because she can't see the killer's face for unknown reasons. It also seems tied back to some trauma she encountered when she was six years old that she has blocked from her memories.

Mary has some conflict in her life with her husband Max, who is 10 years older than her, and her brother, Alan, who
Edward Lorn
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of jazz and sleep
Koontz-Alert Checklist (Every Dean Koontz book has at least one of the following ten things.)

1. Blond lead/love interest - Nope
2. Dog(s) - Nope (Unless you count the figurines)
3. Government conspiracy - Nope
4. Aliens - Nope
5. Serial Killer - Yup
6. Bougainvillea plant - Yup
7. Sodium-vapor streetlight - Yup
8. Precocious child - Nope
9. Town gone crazy - Nope
10. Psychic(s) - Yup

So four out of ten. Not bad, not bad. And that's my overall judgment of this book. "Not bad." Of course this one gets two p
Julie Powell
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always like stories by Dean Koontz and this was no exception. It was cleverly psychological and kept me guessing 'whodunit' although I did suspect the killer and I was right.

Well written, great characters, descriptions, suspense and plot.

Recommended read.
Matthew
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quite enjoyable paranormal mystery/suspense novel. Quick to read, but satisfying!
Deb
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This thriller opens with such action. I whizzed through reading this as it never had a dull moment and the background descriptions were not long and drawn out. The killer in the end is more than likely not who you think, so pay close attention!
Uriah
Sep 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Mary is a talented clairvoyant who's found her calling in helping police across the country solve cases despite having no leads. Aided and guided by her devoted husband and doting brother, she's led a seemingly simple life. Until her visions change, and a dark, preternatural force seems to enter her life. Where are these visions coming from? Will she be able to solve this new case and find her answers before it's too late for her and those she loves?

Far from one of Koontz's best works, this is s
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
Mary Bergman is a clairvoyant. She helps in murder cases to help police catch a killer. There is a serial killer on the loose. Mary is getting visions on who he was going to kill next. Along with having to face the serial killer, Mary will also have to face her past. To what had happened to her twenty- four years ago.

I wasn't very much of a fan of this book either. I didn't like Koontz writing in this all that well. The heroine was way to dependent on her husband Max and acted like a spoiled bra
Mackenzie Petermeier
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A book that I would recommend is The Vision by Dean Koontz. This book is a thriller that keeps your mind going. The Vision is suspenseful and also quite slow in spots and quite predictable, but for the reader who wants a thriller without too much gore this could be a perfect choice. Mary Bergen is the main character, which has a gifted clairvoyant. Her psychic ability and haunting visions to aide the police in solving both past and future crimes, but who must also deal with the stress of not hav ...more
Tiffany Bates
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I think this could have been a 4 if I hadn't read such a fast paced novel right before this. Maybe. Going to this book after a fast pace book made it seem very slow at times and I was thinking 'get on with it'. I predicted who the killer was going to be really early on as well, but hoped all the way through that I was going to be wrong and that would make it great for fooling me. But alas it didn't unfortunately. The premise was interesting, and it would still make a good read for anyone looking ...more
Melissa
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Worst Koontz book I've yet read.

I was having a bad day.
It is the worst Koontz book I've yet read, but it wasn't a waste of time.
Dav
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Vision

"Mary Bergen is a clairvoyant, able to foresee murders that will happen in the near future, but unable to prevent them from taking place. But, now she is up against a power stronger than her own, a power that is taking over her and trying to kill her before she can identify it."D.K

Ever since Mary was assaulted as a child she's been able to see things and uses her psychic ability to help the police catch killers. The latest killer turns out to be her brother Alan. He was also Mary's chi
Marsha
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
I chose this book because it seemed like a fast read and it was. I think most readers will know who the murderer is very early but stay with it. Mary Bergen is a clairvoyant who helps police solve crimes with her ability to actually see the crime so clearly while it's in process. Unfortunately, she can't always see the killer's face.
Everyone thinks her ability comes after she survived a brutal attack when she was six years old. She's now 30 and married and Max, her husband accompanies her and so
Kat, lover of bears...
It's been several decades since I read this book. This was second Dean Koontz book I had read in the 80's (the first being Lightning). I loved this book then and for me, it has remained timeless and enjoyable. Koontz leaves an afterward stating when he wrote this book he was "young and stupid". I don't find that the case at all.

He was a new and rising author just starting out. Comparing his early works to the books that were available at that time, his books were different than most books avail
Armand Rosamilia
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thriller that wants to be a horror book. This one was a bit different for Koontz, with more focus on dialogue and frenetic pacing than what came before this. Looking at when it was written and then released, it seems to be a bridge between his older and newer work, and it is a fun read.
Amy
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wow does this book date me-I remember reading early Dean Koontz in middle and high school. I probably loved this then. Now?? Ugh. I’m glad Dean and I both matured😂
Suzana Vuksanovic
Somewhat better than the previous book by Koontz that I had finished reading immediately before commencing this one (Voice Of The Night).
The story is about a psychic woman who has "visions" of soon-to-be committed murders and helps the police to catch the perpetrators. She can never prevent the murders in her visions, she can only hope to prevent future homicides by the same person.
She is at the apex of an uncomfortable triangle with her adored and charming brother on one side and her husband of
Martin Maher
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dean-koontz, thriller
`The Vision`is a story about a woman by the name of Mary Bergen who has clairvoyant abilities & uses those abilities to help police officers & detectives in their investigations. When we meet Mary at the start of this story, she`s tracking down a killer, & although she`s done this on many occasions in the past, this time something is different, something that triggers memories of her past, which she has buried since her childhood.

I bought this novel in a local bookshop because I had recently re
Kaustubh
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was my 4th book by Dean Koontz. Earlier beings 'The Bad Place', 'Winter Moon' and 'Velocity'. A few readers mentioned here that it was a bit slow in spots, but i tend to disagree. In fact, i felt the plot was perfectly paced. I read 281 pages edition, of which 8-10 pages were left blank.
Anyways, the book did hold my interest throughut. I hadn't had many expectations from the book to begin with for his previous book that i read (winter moon ) was a bit letdown. That was slow, not this.
One of
Charissa Wilkinson
Overview: Mary has been able to ‘see’ things that are hidden from the majority of the population. But this killer that she is chasing is different from most that she has ever been in contact with before. She feels his victims’ pain. Why? And does it have anything to do with a nightmare from her past.

Likes: This was a fun read. Mr. Koontz uses psychic and other extraordinary phenomena to push the story ahead. HE even describes the homicidal triad.

Dislikes: What did Lou do to deserve such a fate?
David Brian
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
three-and-a-half stars.
This was an okay read about Mary Bergen, a psychic who suffered a catastrophic assault during her childhood. Now, with help from her brother Alan, and husband Max, Mary uses her gifts to help the police solve serious crimes. The activities of a serial killer threaten to drag up the events of Mary's childhood.
Like I said, a decent read, but the twist ending was sooooo(!) predictable.
Michelle
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love all of Dean Koontz's books, they never fail to entertain and thrill and shock me. But The Vision, even though the plot is good and the imagery is incomparable, seriously disturbed me.

I don't think I would be able to read it again. And it's books like this that really make me wonder how Dean Koontz thinks of these things (the sick, twisted plots that make the novels so hard to put down).
Cruorox
A clairvoyant woman who helps the police catch killers. Besides the obvious mental toll this takes on her, she also has past traumas to unpack.
She can’t remember what happened. Or does she not want to remember?
As her mind shields her from herself, she can’t stop the horrible truth from unraveling before her.

Not exactly scary, but intriguing nonetheless.

3/5 stars.
Tara Chevrestt
Dec 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was one of Koontz's more disturbing. The woman is a psychic who has some issues with her mentally sick brother. Some of the sexual scenes were a bit distasteful, causing the four star rating despite the adrenaline pumping excitement and horror. A quick read too.

• The Mask
  • The I.P.O.
  • The Presence
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Nevermore
  • 77 Shadow Street (Pendleton, #1)
  • Shadows