Start by marking “Echoes: The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
Echoes: The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories

Echoes: The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories

The essential collection of beloved ghost stories, compiled by the editor who helped define the genre—including stories from award-winning, bestselling authors such as Joyce Carol Oates, Alice Hoffman, Seanan McGuire, and Paul Tremblay.

Everyone loves a good ghost story, especially Ellen Datlow—the most lauded editor in short works of supernatural suspense and dark fantasy.
Published August 20th 2019 by Saga Press

To ask other readers questions about Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echoes

Start your review of Echoes: The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories
Julie
Echoes: The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories by Ellen Datlow is a 2019 a Gallery / Saga Press publication.

Halloween is just around the corner and of course it’s this time of the year when I usually find myself in the mood for a good old- fashioned ghost story. Yet, a good ghost story is hard to find sometimes. So, when I found this anthology in my cloud library, I checked it out on the spot.

I was even more excited by the introduction, in which famed anthology editor, Ellen Datlow, commiserated
Karl

191 - “The Surviving Child” by Joyce Carol Oates
247 - “The Medi
Fiona
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ellen Datlow is one of the most reliable anthology editors working today - with a great focus on variety and storytelling, her anthologies have something for every reader. As with every collection of stories, that does mean that not every story will work for every reader, but most will find a good number to enjoy here.

For me, this time, there were very few misses and a couple of big hits. With the misses, there weren't any stories I'd say I didn't enjoy reading - but the endings let them down. A
Sheila
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I averaged the stars from all the stories and got 3.333, so I'll give this book 3 stars overall ("I liked the book"). And I did like it! I always like Datlow's anthologies. This one contained a few gems, but nothing that absolutely blew me away. The standouts for me were stories by Alison Littlewood, Gemma Files, Carole Johnstone, and John Langan.

This anthology contains 30 diverse ghost stories and makes a great October read. Below are quick ratings for each story:

Ice Cold Lemonade 25ȼ Haunted
Juli
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love ghost stories! One of my favorite fall pastimes is to sit out on my porch after sunset and read ghostly tales on my ipad for awhile. The woods across the street and quietness of our neighborhood just lend a great atmosphere to a bit of horror. Even though it isn't quite fall yet, I pushed the season this year and started my porch reading early. Cup of coffee. Neighbor's cat. Awesome book of ghost stories. Perfect!

Ellen Datlow collected 30 stories for Echoes. This collection of stories is
Mel (Epic Reading)
Jul 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
An anthology of ghost stories that includes Seanan McGuire!? Yep I’m in. *fingers crossed* for an ARC.
Res
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sff
When I read horror collections, I like to think about what kind of anxiety they're expressing. This is a 2019 book; three of the stories are historical reprints chosen by the editors, and the rest were commissioned for this volume. And the anxiety that's being expressed here is overwhelmingly about mental illness, and specifically the fear that it’s contagious.

We have violence of husband against wife, and violence of father against children. We have trauma from war, from mass shootings, from col
 Reading Reindeer Cobwebbed
ECHOES is a top-of-the-line Anthology of Ghost Stories (all new except for three classic reprints) as curated by the inimitable anthologist and editor Ellen Datlow. She has superbly accomplished this collection. Every single story frightened me, made me ponder more deeply, inspired me to check out all these authors (30 in total)....and left me with nightmares and disturbed sleep. I love Ghost stories more than any other type, so I'm in hog heaven reading ECHOES.
Becky Spratford
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Star review in Booklist and on blog: https://raforall.blogspot.com/2019/07...

Three Words That Describe This Book: full range of horror, modern ghost stories, coming of age themes
amanda
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a haunting collection of ghost stories told by a variety of different authors dead and living. While there are a few misses there are much more that hit their desired marks.

My personal favorites are:
Must Be This Tall to Ride by Seanad Mcguire
The Puppet Motel by Gemma Files

I always look forward to Ellen Datlow’s collections and this is a great reminder why.
Alan
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ellen Datlow does not disappoint with this latest anthology of ghost stories intended to get back to what true ghost tales are supposed to be like. I found only two or three to be subpar, with most being better than the average short story usually found in these types of collections and quite a few of tales really standing out as being excellent.
One of the very few reprints in the book, F. Marion Crawford's "The Upper Berth" was by far the greatest example of what a classic haunted tale should r
Tzu-Mainn Chen
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
As a parent I’ve grown to love anthologies, filled with short stories that are perfect for passing the time while waiting to pick up my kid from school or other activities. Invariably not all the stories are great - but there are usually some good ones, and even a few great ones, and it’s easy enough to blow through a bad story to get to a better one.

Unfortunately, with “Echoes” I often raced through a bad story only to reach another bad story, which usually resulted in me throwing the book down
Ruby
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror-thriller
Ghosts stories. Didn't read all of it, only two stories by Tremblay and MacLeod. It's a large collection so I'd love to find time to revisit and finish it.
WS_BOOKCLUB
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection is good, spooky fun! The fact that no one story felt like another is incredibly impressive in and of itself. From feeling like eating s’mores while reading, to getting a shivery feeling, this book has it all. A few stories even came across as Scary Stories to Read in the Dark for adults (Must Be This Tall to Ride by Seanan McGuire comes to mind) , which was awesome.

This book contains so much that I’m going to just mention a few of the stories that stood out to me.

* A Hinterlands
Denise
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway
This was a 2.5 for me but since there were just enough stories which I thoroughly enjoyed I rounded up rather than down. Unfortunately, there were just as many stories I skimmed through, in my opinion, they were simply too long and the stories were going no where. I enjoy anthologies since they often offer exposure to writers new to me.

Thank you to Saga Press for randomly selecting my name for this ARC.
Maggie May
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as I have come to expect from an anthology edited by Ellen Datlow. There are some awesome stories, a few of them genuinely disturbing, but more than a couple are dead boring.
Beth Roberts
I really thought this one was going to be the Datlow collection that would finally let me bump one to a five-star rating. In the end, though, the law of averages brought this one to a 4.35, or 4.4. Given the massive size of this anthology, that's still a very high ranking and none of the stories ranked below a 3-star. That's an incredible feat given how difficult a medium the short story is, let alone a successful ghost story.

Unlike Datlow, who states in her introduction that she doesn't believe
Brad Hodges
"I don’t believe in ghosts, but I love ghost stories and I suspect I’m not the only reader to make this confession," writes Ellen Datlow in her anthology, Echoes, thirty stories about ghosts, spirits, phantasms, and what have you. With that many stories it's a mixed bag, with a few great stories, several okay ones, and a few I didn't like or didn't get.

A couple of stories were effectively creepy but I couldn't quite figure out what happened at the end. These include Gemma Files' "The Puppet Mote
Pam Winkler
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall, a really good collection.
Ice Cold Lemonade 25c Haunted House Tour: 1 Per Person by Paul Tremblay - was ok. The story was mostly good, but I didn't like the ending much.
Linger Longer by Vincent J. Masterson was interesting and good.
Whimper Beg by Lee Thomas didn't go where I thought it was going to go. It was good.
The July Girls by Alison Littlewood was interesting. I didn't think it would go like that.
About the O'Dells by Pat Cadigan was wonderful and spooky.
A Hinterlands Haunting

7-The Number of Things You Remember
M. L. Siemienowicz ------
GracieKat
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love ghost stories. And the short story format seems to be particularly suited to the short story. It seems like successful ghost stories that are novel length are usually in the haunted house sub-genres.

I also love themed anthologies. I think it's so interesting to see what different authors can do with the same story parameters. It's so cool to be able to enjoy the different writing styles and stories. Some are more psychological ghosts that haunt us while others are more supernaturally bas
Michael
A nearly 800-page doorstop of a book that was a pleasure from start to finish. A rarity among short story anthologies, let alone one this size. Kudos to Ellen Datlow for her astute curation and for bringing 27 stories not published elsewhere into this volume (only 3 of the stories are reprints).

The above said, there were of course a few stories that didn't completely connect with me, that ended abruptly, that just weren't scary, etc. Which is to be expected in a collection housing 30 stories. Su
Janice
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, kindle
Sometimes I want to read something spooky, but not TOO spooky. The horror I like to read is usually stories that are subtle and unsettling. Ghost stories can fill this bill pretty well sometimes.

This is a large and far-ranging collection. There are a couple of older stories, like "The Medium's End" by Ford Madox Ford and "The Upper Berth" by F. Marion Crawford. There are stories about abuse; about murder; about trauma and its effects over time. There's a lot of musing about death (duh, ghost sto
D.K. Hundt
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

There are thirty short stories within Echoes: The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories , and the first book that I have read edited by Ellen Datlow, though I recently purchased The Best Horror Of The Year Volume Eleven, and I can’t wait to read and review it!

My favorite stories from this anthology, those that resonated with me the most (I tend to lean toward some of the darker stories, though your reading experience may differ), are as follows:

Ice Cold Lemonade 25¢ Haunted House Tour: 1 Per Per
Casey
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely the most fun I have had reading in quite a while. Each and every story is so very well written and immensely detailed for such short of stories. There are a lot of different settings (haunted houses, trains, ships) as well as different cultures represented. There wasn't a single story in the bunch where I felt like I wasted my time reading it, and I can be quite critical when it comes to shorter stories, since I feel they have a lot more to prove. I like to feel as though the ...more
Jeanette Greaves
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, modern multi-author anthology of ghost stories.

Every story was a delight, but of course for every reader, some will stand out more than others. I loved Carole Johnstone's 'Deep, Fast, Green' with hauntings piled upon hauntings, a true sense of claustrophobic horror, and a thread of love and redemption. The last story in the book, John Langham's 'Natalya, Queen of the Hungry Dogs' is one of the longest, and again that thread of redemption through love shines silver through the fear as
Ben Truong
Echoes: The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories is an anthology of twenty-nine short stories which was collected and edited by Ellen Datlow. It is a collection of twenty-nine ghost stories, apropos for the Halloween season and autumnal months.

For the most part, I rather like most of these contributions. Echoes: The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories is an anthology of twenty-nine ghost stories. As an anthology, the variety of stories are wonderfully spooky, some stories are more psychological while oth
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love a good ghost story and here is a collection of 30, all moving in different ways. I was up with one of my kids overnight while they were sick and I read this book by lamplight when they would fall fitfully asleep. Morning came and my husband switched me spots. Blackout curtains keep my bedroom almost dark enough, an eye mask helps it the rest of the way. I can not sleep with light even hinted at. But this morning I had played myself, because I thought on the 4 or 5 stories I had been able ...more
Dan Trefethen
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthologies, fantasy
When editor Ellen Datlow calls, most speculative fiction authors pick up the phone. That's why 27 writers contributed new ghost stories to this anthology, while Datlow reprinted three older ones for contrast. Compare a 'classic' haunting like “The Upper Berth” by F. Marion Crawford with the innovative and psychologically twisty stories in the rest of this volume. There is a huge variety of ghosts and hauntings that these authors have devised. My favorites are the two final stories, “Deep, Fast, ...more
Kend
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I'll admit ... I mostly read this for Seanan McGuire's and Indra Das' contributions, and although I stuck around for a few more stories in addition to those, I think it's fair to say that most of the stories included here are enjoyable but not always the authors' all-time best works, and therefore this doesn't constitute Ellen Datlow's all-time best anthology. The book itself is an absolute brick, too, making the physical book a bit of a pain to read and also unlikely to survive long as a librar ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Only Good Indians
  • Night of the Mannequins
  • Sefira and Other Betrayals
  • Growing Things and Other Stories
  • Full Throttle
  • Black Mountain (Isaiah Coleridge #2)
  • The Twisted Ones
  • Highland Jewel (Royal Highlander, #2)
  • Night-Gaunts and Other Tales of Suspense
  • The Toll
  • A Lush and Seething Hell: Two Tales of Cosmic Horror
  • In the Valley of the Sun
  • Laughter at the Academy
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter