Start by marking “Echoes: The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
Echoes: The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories

Echoes: The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories

The essential collection of beloved ghost stories, compiled by the editor who helped define the genre—including stories from award-winning, bestselling authors such as Joyce Carol Oates, Alice Hoffman, Seanan McGuire, and Paul Tremblay.

Everyone loves a good ghost story, especially Ellen Datlow—the most lauded editor in short works of supernatural suspense and dark fantasy.
Published August 20th 2019 by Saga Press

To ask other readers questions about Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echoes

Julie
Echoes: The Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories by Ellen Datlow is a 2019 a Gallery / Saga Press publication.

Halloween is just around the corner and of course it’s this time of the year when I usually find myself in the mood for a good old- fashioned ghost story. Yet, a good ghost story is hard to find sometimes. So, when I found this anthology in my cloud library, I checked it out on the spot.

I was even more excited by the introduction, in which famed anthology editor, Ellen Datlow, commiserated
Fiona
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ellen Datlow is one of the most reliable anthology editors working today - with a great focus on variety and storytelling, her anthologies have something for every reader. As with every collection of stories, that does mean that not every story will work for every reader, but most will find a good number to enjoy here.

For me, this time, there were very few misses and a couple of big hits. With the misses, there weren't any stories I'd say I didn't enjoy reading - but the endings let them down. A
Karl

191 - “The Surviving Child” by Joyce Carol Oates
247 - “The Medi
Juli
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love ghost stories! One of my favorite fall pastimes is to sit out on my porch after sunset and read ghostly tales on my ipad for awhile. The woods across the street and quietness of our neighborhood just lend a great atmosphere to a bit of horror. Even though it isn't quite fall yet, I pushed the season this year and started my porch reading early. Cup of coffee. Neighbor's cat. Awesome book of ghost stories. Perfect!

Ellen Datlow collected 30 stories for Echoes. This collection of stories is
Mel (Epic Reading)
Jul 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
An anthology of ghost stories that includes Seanan McGuire!? Yep I’m in. *fingers crossed* for an ARC.
Sheila
Sep 12, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: netgalley
Ice Cold Lemonade 25ȼ Haunted House Tour: 1 Per Person,” by Paul Tremblay. 3 stars.
“Linger Longer,” by Vincent J. Masterson. 3 stars.
“Whimper Beg,” by Lee Thomas. 3 stars.
“The July Girls,” by Alison Littlewood. 4 stars. A story about grief and loss, with a creepy, twisted ending that I quite liked.
“About the O’Dells,” by Pat Cadigan. 4 stars. The narrator's voice made this story stand out. A gruesome topic (domestic violence) with ghostly revenge.
“A Hinterlands Haunting,” by Richard Kadrey. 3 s
Autumn Is Azathoth
ECHOES is a top-of-the-line Anthology of Ghost Stories (all new except for three classic reprints) as curated by the inimitable anthologist and editor Ellen Datlow. She has superbly accomplished this collection. Every single story frightened me, made me ponder more deeply, inspired me to check out all these authors (30 in total)....and left me with nightmares and disturbed sleep. I love Ghost stories more than any other type, so I'm in hog heaven reading ECHOES.
Becky Spratford
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Star review in Booklist and on blog: https://raforall.blogspot.com/2019/07...

Three Words That Describe This Book: full range of horror, modern ghost stories, coming of age themes
Alan
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ellen Datlow does not disappoint with this latest anthology of ghost stories intended to get back to what true ghost tales are supposed to be like. I found only two or three to be subpar, with most being better than the average short story usually found in these types of collections and quite a few of tales really standing out as being excellent.
One of the very few reprints in the book, F. Marion Crawford's "The Upper Berth" was by far the greatest example of what a classic haunted tale should r
Mark Corder
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horror, Ghosts, Haunted, Hauntings, short stories, anthologies
Recommended to Mark by: I won it!
Shelves: favorites
I won a review-copy of this book, and that was great because it's one I would have wanted to purchase for one single reason: it says "Edited by Ellen Datlow" on the cover! ... That's all you needed to tell me.

I've been enjoying anthologies edited by Ellen for longer than I care to remember, and I know she will choose only the very-best of the short fiction that crosses her desk. She has likewise introduced me to many new names in fiction that have come to be some of my favorites.

This collection
Denise
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway
This was a 2.5 for me but since there were just enough stories which I thoroughly enjoyed I rounded up rather than down. Unfortunately, there were just as many stories I skimmed through, in my opinion, they were simply too long and the stories were going no where. I enjoy anthologies since they often offer exposure to writers new to me.

Thank you to Saga Press for randomly selecting my name for this ARC.
Jill Elizabeth
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very strong collection, ranging from campfire ghost stories to more traditional horror with a ghostly theme. Most of the stories held my attention and interest - which is something that doesn't often happen with anthologies. I'm not a short-story person generally, but I went in knowing a number of the authors represented and was cautiously optimistic based on that, but interestingly I found that several of the previously-unknown-to-me writers produced the stories I enjoyed the most - ...more
Pattyh
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview ECHOES - this is a collection of short stories - spooky, scary stories by some great writers.
I usually don't go for this type of book, but I have changed my mind. Great collection and fun to read.
4 stars - some are better than others, but all in all, this is a wonderful collection.
Lallen
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good collection

I have read several anthologies by Ellen Datlow and this has been my favorite. If one believes in ghosts, these are all believable. If one wants a scary ghost story there are several. If one wants to be on the edge there’s a story for you. I really liked them all.
Kendra
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A solid collection of ghost stories, old and new. As with all collections, some of the stories are more effective and better than others, but overall the mix is decent. This could serve as a good introduction to writers like Seanan McGuire, Joyce Carol Oates, Alice Hoffman, and Garth Nix for those not yet familiar with their work.
J.D. DeHart
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m not often much on horror or ghost stories, but the names in this collection of authors drew me in. Each tale painted its own atmosphere and many were quite clever. I appreciated this diverse anthology of stories.
Karin
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are 30 stories here and I had to make some choices.Of the 13 I picked all but one were good.Ms.Datlow consistently puts together really good anthologies,they have a permanent place on my shelves.
Paul
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ghost stories are not my usual genre (even though I was born on Halloween), but this is a good collection of solid and diverse stories. Recommended for fans of eerie stories.

I really appreciate the advanced copy for review!!
Maggie May
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as I have come to expect from an anthology edited by Ellen Datlow. There are some awesome stories, a few of them genuinely disturbing, but more than a couple are dead boring.
CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin
Echoes is a great novel full of ghost stories that do not disappoint! Such a chill and fun read! Definitely recommend this book.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Joseph Scipione
Nov 29, 2018
Nat
added it
Dec 04, 2018
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter