Start by marking “The Ribbajack: and Other Haunting Tales” as Want to Read:
The Ribbajack: and Other Haunting Tales

The Ribbajack: and Other Haunting Tales

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  662 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Brian Jacques brings you six spine-tingling tales!

What if revenge were a monster of your own creation, and all you needed to summon it were enough hatred and enough imagination? Which of you would really be the monster? From vengeance monsters to haunted schools to the threat of a modern-day Medusa, New York Times bestselling author Brian
Published August 17th 2006 by Puffin (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Ribbajack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ribbajack

Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Chris Bancells

Jacques, B. (2004). The ribbajack & other curious yarns. New York: Puffin Books.

Short Story

Selection tools consulted: School Library Journal, WorldCat,

Best known for his Redwall series, Brian Jacques turns his prolific pen to a darker set of stories in this volume. Six stories wander over the course of a couple centuries, and what appears to be much of the Irish countryside. "The Ribbajack", clearly the best of the bunch, takes place at a British boarding school i
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Book Talk: This collection of short stories may be by the author of Redwall, but if you're looking for cuddly animals you're looking in the wrong place. These stories mostly revolve around school-aged human youth and the creatures that do appear in the stories are anything but cuddly. If you want to find out what a Ribbajack is and what it can do, then pick up this book. I'd wait until day light to read it, though.

Rocks my Socks: These stories are wonderfully atmospheric and perfectly capture th
Benjamin  Oberholtzer
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not as good as his Redwall books, but definatly worth the time if you like fun stories with a scary twist.
Jeff S
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's entertaining, but definitely for young children.
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good compilation of short stories and really spooky. Each story keeps you wondering what will happen next!
Reading Teen
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a Jacques book since I finished the Redwall series. And, when you read a bunch of different stuff for over a year, you kinda start to forget certain things about certain authors that you really love. And that's kinda what happened to me; I had forgotten just how great of an author he was. Of course, I knew that Redwall was one of my favorite series and that Jacques is a great writer. But every author has a different style. From Tolkien to Rowling to Meyer, every single author has ...more
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
The late Brian Jacques, Liverpool author of the "Redwall" series (begun in 1986, and ending with the posthumous release of "The Rogue Crew" in March pf 2011), should have received the world-wide acclaim that J.K. Rowling justly received for the "Harry Potter" novels two decades later. Jacques' powerful sense of narrative, his richly-developed characters, and his unerring ability to judge where to draw the line between keeping a children's story childlike, yet intelligent enough both to educate t ...more
Oct 15, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Fate is fickle, and the company of unwilling friends short lived."

—The Ribbajack and Other Curious Yarns, P. 97

Brian Jacques has a nearly exquisite feel for the terrain of various Scottish dialectic tones, and it paints all of his novels with a unique brush. Mostly known for bringing this flair to the famed Redwall series, he has now taken his unique writing style to the telling of six scary stories for young readers (actually, this is his second such collection).
I get the feeling that thes
Roy Hudson
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I may be jumping the gun on this one, as I have one last short story to read, but based on the first five stories alone, I can say that I enjoy the late Mr. Jacques's YA horror stories. As popular as his Redwall books are, I'm a bit ashamed to admit that this is the first of his books I've picked up, and that the only reason I bought it is that our library was selling it for $0.50 the day I went to hear Rick Yancey speak about his then-upcoming Monstrumologist sequel a couple Octobers ago. I dec ...more
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-1-12
The Ribbajack is a short story that follows the swashbuckling theme that Brian Jacques uses in almost all his books. The story has the feel of a folk tale and teaches a moral at the end of the story. I have always been a fan of Brian Jacques stories and this one did not disappoint me. It was a little different in its character development due to the brief nature of the story.

The tale is of a boy who is as bad as can be. The whole school is afraid of him and he dabbles in the dark arts. When some
Nicole Crosby
Sep 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
I am a life long, die hard Redwall fan, but this was pretty bad. If I find a book in the horror section, I better be sleeping with the lights on that night. This wasn't even creepy, let alone scary. Any one of the Redwall books is creepier than this book. The only mildly promising story was "The Ribbajack". Had that story been added to and turned into a 167 pages there might have been something. The only other story I didn't completely struggle through was "Rosie's Pet", and it was cute, not sca ...more
Aug 15, 2013 added it
Shelves: read-in-2013
By the author of the Redwall series, these were a lot of fun to read! Though I didn't think they were as good as the Redwall books, I did enjoy reading this collection of stories that were not about Jacques' signature animal characters. If you want something to read on a quiet evening, then this book of scary stories is for you! My favorite was the Medusa tale, but I think Jacques put just as much thought into these yarns as he did in his Redwall collection. Fans of his work will notice some sim ...more
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a delicious romp through the imagination! Jacques never disappoints in this collection of short stories. From the titular "The Ribbajack" to the charming "Miggy Mags and the Malabar Sailor", I was enchanted and delighted. While a few of the stories are creepy ("A Smile and a Wave" comes to mind), all are lovely reads to enjoy on a cold, winter's night and they all contain laugh-out-loud bits of humor.
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When young Archibald Smifft takes up an obsession of witchcraft and his superiors try to reform him, his imagination creates a horrific monster to take revenge on his archenemy, the Reverend Miller, and disappear with all those who try to stop him, but his evil mind is foiled by his own monster. Comes with five other strange tales that will intrigue even the most exceedingly droll hearts!
Jun 08, 2009 rated it liked it
The Ribbajack & other Haunting Yarns is a book of short stories. I gave it a three because some of the short stories, I felt were lacking. But The short stories; Ribbajack, Miggy Mags and the Malabar Sailor, and Rosie's Pet were all very good stories. This is a great book if you have extra time on your hands and need a funny or interesting "yarn" to tide you over.
Nick B
Nov 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens - adults
This book is a bunch of short stories put together. I really enjoyed reading this book alot.the stories where stories of monsters and ghost and stuff to sort of shake you up alttle to leave you wondering. IF you like not knowing whats comming up in a storie and haveing that great suspense then read "The Ribbajack & other curious yarns" By, Brian Jacques.
Michelle. D.
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
These stories were interesting... Just interesting. I don't know if I find them amusing or what, but... I know they were "interesting".
The stories aren't really horrific or scary, not even frightening at the least.
Overall, the book was fun while it lasted, not exactly worth the full price to me, but.
Aaron Cosgrove
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it
a fantastic collection of seven short stories based on mythical creatures and light horror. A delightful breath of fresh air. With several well established casts of mixed and well accented characters what bring each story to life.
säge ( up up and away )
I liked 2 out of 6 or 7 stories. The first and the second one were the only good ones, the rest weren't good at all. I wouldn't recommend these because, I think the other ones weren't as good, and you should've focused on the second one more too.
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
A mostly lighthearted romp of 6 stories. Jacques sticks mainly to myths and legends for propagation. The real highlight is his authentic and entertaining Liverpool dialogue and accents, notably on "Miggy Mags and the Malabar Sailor". RIP my friend.
Sandy Enriquez
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short horror story collection for kids! Especially the Smile and Wave and even the Mystery of Huma D'Este. I originally borrowed this from the library to read with the kids I tutor, but I found myself reading it in my own spare time for the sheer thrill and enjoyment.
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. A big part because it is not a typical fluffy fairy tale book, even though it is comprised of short fantastical stories, and the endings are mostly positive. I imagine I will read this to my kids quite often as they grow.
Sep 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ok, so I only read the first story, "The Ribbajack," which I enjoyed. Then I got two pages into the second story and lost interest. What can I say? I had other books I wanted to read, lol!
May 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-lit
Mostly variations on familiar spookies: werewolves, ghosts, mermaids, etc. The Ribbajack is original, and as a story has a bit more dash to it and the characters a bit more life.
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y-a
Fun, sometimes unsettling stories from a master storyteller.
James Wallace
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brain Jacques is a great author and this book is great! filled with great stories!
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVED it! I have been wanting to read this book for a long time and it made me remember what a good author he was. I really miss his work.
Despair Speaking
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I honestly only really liked The Ribbajack... the rest were just so-so. They didn't sparkle like the Ribbajack but maybe that's just me...
Dec 29, 2009 rated it liked it
These are the kind of stories i'm not used to hearing from Brian Jacques but they were wonderful, inventive and interesting. I highly recommend this.
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fifteenth Annual Collection
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk Adventures
  • Alcestis and Other Plays
  • Merlin
  • Turn the Other Chick (Chicks in Chainmail, #5)
  • Irish Myths and Legends
  • The Spy's Bedside Book
  • The Big House
  • The Truth About Sparrows
  • The Magic Shop
  • The Legend of Buddy Bush
  • The Mammoth Book of Merlin
  • Famous Tales of Mystery and Horror
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh
More about Brian Jacques...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake