Start by marking “Backup (The Dresden Files, #10.4)” as Want to Read:
Backup (The Dresden Files, #10.4)

Backup

(The Dresden Files #10.4)

Let's get something clear right up front. I'm not Harry Dresden. Harry's a wizard. A genuine, honest-to-goodness wizard. He's Gandalf on crack and an IV of Red Bull, with a big leather coat and a .44 revolver in his pocket. He'll spit in the eye of gods and demons alike if he thinks it needs to be done, and to hell with the consequences--and yet somehow my little brother m ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about Backup, please sign up.
Leah No. There are about seven illustrations by Mike Mignola, though.

Priscilla
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Dresden fans! A must-have!
Shelves: urban-fantasy
In what is easily the best short fiction Butcher has penned for The Dresden Files, "Backup" gives us our first taste of what Harry's world looks like from outside his limited first-person narration. Instead, our guide is Harry's half-brother, the White Court vampire Thomas Raith.

Butcher takes full advantage of the opportunity--in addition to giving us insight into how Thomas sees the world and making us privy to certain supernatural information Thomas must keep secret from his little brother, B
Michael
Mar 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Told from the persepctive of Harry's brother, Thomas, this short novella is a nice chance of pace for "The Dresden Files." While it won't be essential to read it to enjoy the on-going storylines about Dresden, it does give readers some new insight into Thomas. Also, the concept of having a story in the universe told from a different point of view is interestind and Jim Butcher really runs with the concept.

Now I'd love to see a novella told by Karin Murphy.
Sandi
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
40 minutes. 40 minutes is how long it took me to read this "book". It's supposedly a novella, but it's barely a short story. The last page of the book is #70, but it starts on page 7 and has blank pages and pictures. I spent 1.5 minutes counting the number of pages with text. There were 56 pages with words. I still had time leftover on my 45 minute recumbent bike ride at the gym when I was done reading the story and counting pages.

I did enjoy the short story, but I would have really felt ripped
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Thomas is a great brother.
lynne naranek
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Harry Dresden fans - but just borrow it from your local library, don't buy!
Shelves: 2008
I thought this would be a great read. I was mistaken.

This novella/short story is based in the Dresden universe, but it narrated, and is focused on, Harry's vampire half-brother, Thomas Raith.

Sure, you get an insight into how Thomas thinks and feels. However, his description of the demon within? Just too Buffy-like for my tastes. And the entire story? Kinda lame.

The worst offence, however, was on the last page: three times in two sentences, "altar", as in sacrificial altar, was misspelled "alter
Amber
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarybooks
Harry Dresden's brother Thomas is a Vampire with a demon inside him. When he gets wind of a mission from his evil sister with Harry's life in danger, Thomas goes to try to warn him of the danger. But will he succeed? Find out and see for yourself.

This was a pretty good novella that introduced me to the Harry Dresden files series and I look forward to reading the rest of the series. Definitely check this book out. You'll enjoy this 70 page read. It also featured some well done illustrations from
Darren
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it
A shift in POV from Harry to Thomas takes us on a short journey into Thomas' world and an ancient evil that threatens to be woken up.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it, but rather,
it just wasn't my Dresden cup of tea. I've been spoiled with Harry's POV for more than ten books now and to be honest, I'm not sure I want another :)

I appreciate what the idea was here, and I appreciate a glimpse into the Sisters and the Oblivion War, but I most appreciate the original storyline.
Jana
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Anyone who loves Harry Dresden has to read this. It's not about Harry, it's all about his brother Thomas, but Butcher has set up a brilliant Gaiman-esque premise here. What happens to the old gods if they are not remembered? What if there was a war to make people forget, thus render powerless, the bad guys? And who wouldn't love a pseudo-gay vampiric hairdresser anyway?
Katy
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
Shelves: ebook
Please note: This novelette is also part of the anthology Side Jobs, which is where I read it.

My Thoughts: Like the fun short story "Even Hand", this story is not told from Harry's point of view. Instead, we hear from Thomas. This is a very important story. In it we learn more about Thomas and the White Court, and about the existence of the Venatori and the Oblivion War. We also get a glimpse into Justine, which provides a bit more information about the reactions she had to Marcone, and why Marc
Diana
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
A short story in the Dresden Files series that while has the main character in it, is told from his half brother's point of view. I enjoyed having a story with the main character being Thomas. It's a really quick read, great for someone who has read the series but doesn't have much time to delve back into it. I loved it, but I am a huge fan of the series. If you're just starting out read book one, but if you are familiar with the series definitely look this one up.
Julianna
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Dresden Files
Reviewed for THC Reviews
“Backup” is a novellette that falls between Small Favor and Turn Coat in the Dresden Files series chronology. It’s unique to the series in that it’s told entirely from the POV of Thomas, Harry’s vampire half-brother. In this one, Thomas is contacted by his sister, Lara, and asked to rendezvous with her representative to receive important information. That representative ends up being Justine, the only woman Thomas has ever loved, but the one woman he can’t be with, becaus
Morris Nelms
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you like the Dresden Files then you'll enjoy this. I did. It's short. Takes no time to read. Some fans have said they would have felt ripped off if they'd paid full price for it. Strange criticism. It's easy to find out how long the book is, whether you buy it at a bookstore or online.
Butcher is a vivid writer, who wants to keep you interested and the tale moving. He does so consistently, and that's all in evidence here. His trademark humor is present as well.
One complaint I read was that t
Joan
This is a novella. Or at least I'd call it such. 70 pages. This is told from the POV of Thomas, Harry's older half brother. It is an interesting insight since it allows Butcher a chance to show how ever present the Hunger is. There is a some humor in it but not a lot. Thomas seems intensely lonely, even lonelier than Harry in many ways. He can't have access to the woman he loves without personal harm, he can't trust his older sister Lara, he can't hang around Harry as much as either would like f ...more
Brooke
May 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, fantasy
It was nice seeing the Dresden world from an alternate viewpoint, but I did feel like Thomas' voice wasn't all that different from Harry's. Perhaps in a regular-length novel, Butcher would have more time to develop a different feel. I still enjoyed this short story, and wouldn't mind getting to hear from other Dresden characters in between the larger novels.
David Monroe
Jul 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dresden Junkies with a need to read everything
12,000 word, 70 page novelette. It took me 20 minutes to read. So I read it again, savoring the artwork. I borrowed my copy from the library. If I had paid the $20 cover price for it, I may have given it one less star and a bit of a rant. In this case, I'll just say, thank God for libraries!
Dan Schwent
Oct 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Harry Dresden's half brother Thomas Raith has to help Harry on his latest case without him knowing or a demon will be loosed on the world. Good stuff but really short and awfully pricey.
Alan
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I've been looking for this as a reasonable price, and I finally lucked into a copy. The thing is that this is really a short story, an enjoyable one, but not a novella.

With the above did I just set the Goodreads record for a run sentence? I think it's grammatically correct.

The story, as stated in Butcher's preface centers on Harry Dresden's half-brother Thomas and the Oblivion War, which Butcher says he has mentioned before (but I certainly don't recall it). Thomas is one of the good guys in thi
Malinda
4-4.5 stars

This was a really good short story. It's from Thomas' PoV and it ends up Thomas has more going on than we realize. He's one of a small amount of warriors that is fighting a secret war called the Oblivion wars. Thomas finds out that Harry has been tricked into helping the wrong side and since secrecy is a top priority, Thomas has to foil the bad guy's plans without tipping off Harry to what's going on. It was a rather intriguing and interesting story.
Honza Prchal
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading this as a stand-alone book reminds me of everything I like about The Dresden Files - the attention to detail where the author had to learn something, the maintenance of a somewhat involved continuity, the humour, the suspense, and the deeply moral core.
"Dumb" reading for smart people ... because it only seems dumb.
Anna Wick
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
read as part of Side Jobs
Quintin Zimmermann
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A novelette written from the perspective of Harry Dresden's half-brother, Thomas Raith, provides a good insight into the internal struggles that Thomas faces in keeping his monsterous hunger restrained.
Carolyn
Jan 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Having read the first Dresden book - Storm Front - and having seen the TV show for it's brief run, I am familiar with the setting/characters in the "Dresdenverse", as someone so aptly called it.

The best I can say about this little novella is that if you are a fan of the series, you'll enjoy it for the different angle on an event you're already familiar with. If you're collecting the series, it *might* even be worth the exorbitant cover price to own it.

For everyone else - borrow it from the libra
James
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: distractions
This is my favorite of the Dresden stories. This novella is narrated by Thomas, not Harry, and it's pretty funny. It does absolutely nothing to advance any major storyline of the series, although it does introduce an ongoing "war" that may become of importance later. That said, Thomas' voice is great, and the writing is pretty funny.

As far as the whole Dresden series goes, it's worth a gander if you like that whole fantasy thing. I'm not much into fantasy, but I like how this brings that concei
Christopher
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dresden Files addicts everywhere
This 12,000 word, 70 page novelette is an incredibly quick read, but if you're as hopelessly addicted to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series as I am, you'll love this book.

Unlike the other Dresden novels, Harry barely appears at all in this story, having a scant sentence or two of dialog through the entire thing. The action centers around Thomas, Harry's brother, and a vampire of the white court.

This is exactly the kind of non stop no holds barred fantasy romp filled with magic and things that g
Kat
Jul 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Basic Plot: Thomas deals with a threat to Harry that Harry doesn't, and can't, know about.

Too short. Just too damn short. I liked the story itself. I thought that the plot was interesting and gave Thomas's character more depth. However, there was enough meat there that this felt like the seed for a full-length novel and Butcher was afraid to break free and give Thomas a thorough chance, rather than a deliberately planned novella. The tone was different enough for the reader to know it wasn't Har
Robin
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2010
This is a short story in the Dresden Files series based on the point-of-view of Harry's brother, Thomas. Thomas discovers that Harry is in trouble and knows nothing about it. So, Thomas must track Harry down with the help of Bob, the skull.

The story is very short and fast paced. Thomas is one of my favorite characters in the series. It's nice to find out how he really feels about his vampire family and about his little brother, Harry. We also discover how hard it is for Thomas to control the hun
Sonja Arlow

2 1/2 stars

Hmmm I cant really say that this novella will add any more insight into the Dresden World than you would already have if you have read up to book 10.

In fact it almost had the opposite effect on me.

This story was told from Thomas’s viewpoint and he displayed unexpected borderline hero worship when describing Dresden, which was a little inconsistent with how I’ve pictured Thomas in my head.

So this was an easy way to fill an hour but ultimately an unnecessary read.
Anne
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Harry Dresden fans
It was a lot of fun to read, but extremely short! I think it only took about 45 minutes read it, and that is saying a lot when you have four little kids running under your feet.
Thomas is the one telling this story, and I really enjoyed seeing everything from his perspective.
Very entertaining! Keep 'em coming!
Quianna
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
The worst thing I can say about Backup is that it was far too short. Butcher could have easily expanded this into a novel and made it a book of the Dresden Files in its own right and it would have been perfect.
Katy-Del
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have always ben intrigued by Thomas in the Drsden File Novels. I like how Mr. Butcher lets us experience Thomas in this first person. His taste in music is awesome. The story was lively, fun, and humerous.

• Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3)
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2)
  • Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
“Let's get something clear up front. I'm not Harry Dresden. Harry's a wizard. A genuine, honest-to-goodness wizard. He's Gandalf on crack and an IV of Red Bull, with a big leather coat and a .44 revolver in his pocket. He'll spit in the eye of gods and demons alike if he thinks it needs to be done, and to hell with the consequences -- and yet somehow my little brother manages to remain a decent human being. I'll be damned if I know how. But then, I'll be damned regardless. My name is Thomas Raith, and I'm a monster.” 68 likes
“You know the law, Dresden."
"He who kills the cheer springs for beer," chanted the rest of the table.”
35 likes