Start by marking “The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com” as Want to Read:
The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com

The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com

To celebrate our fifth birthday, Tor.com assembled the last five years of our award-winning original fiction into downloadable ebook files!

Table of Contents:

1. When We Were Heroes (Wild Cards #21.2) by Daniel Abraham
2. Olga by C.T. Adams
3. Foundation (Razorland 0.5) by Ann Aguirre
4. The Department of Alterations (Crewel World 0.5) by Gennifer Albin
5. The Fermi Paradox is O
Published July 15th 2013 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about The Stories, please sign up.
Tamás Fábián Hi, I managed to dig it up from my old files and sent a message for both of you, if anyone else is interested please message me!

Start your review of The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com
10. The Too-Clever Fox, by Leigh Bardugo
11. The Girl Who Sang Rose Madder, by Elizabeth Bear
12. The Horrid Glory of Its Wings, by Elizabeth
Shel
Phew! Started in October, finally finished in July! I'm giving the collection 5 stars, even though not all of the stories were 5 star pieces, because of the sheer volume of new authors I was exposed to and the wide variety of topics and styles.

Overall:
28 5-star ratings, 67 4-star, 35 3-star, 15 2-star, 4 1-star, and one unrated. Not bad! Thanks, tor.com!

1. When We Were Heroes, by Daniel Abraham - 4 stars. Made me want to know more about the Wild Cards universe, which I have not ventured into be
Francesco
Non so quando lo finirò (o se lo farò mai).
In ogni caso non riporterò qua ogni singola opinione, perché sarebbero troppe dal momento che intendo lasciare almeno due righe su ogni racconto e non ci starebbero.
Le metterò su Google Docs
Renee Babcock
This is a massive collection of short fiction originally published at Tor.com. There were maybe a dozen or so stories I didn't read, but on the whole this is a solid collection of contemporary short speculative fiction.
Peter
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a huge collection of about 150 stories that have appeared over the last five years on Tor's website, that I've been reading in dribs and drabs on my phone over the past year or so.

It's hard to talk about it because there are just so many in there, I honestly can't remember in most cases if a story comes from there, or from another, smaller, short story collection I read in the intervening time. Nor, often, can I really remember many of the details.

In a general sense, though, for me, per
Logan
Jan 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Reading through this entire collection was one of the worst reading experiences I have ever had. I kept thinking that there just HAD to be some good stories in it. And there were, about five or so that I really liked and maybe 10 that were at least entertaining. But most of them were pointless, postmodern drivel that oh, might have the hero dying, or end in a state of hopelessness, or just be completely pointless or insane. Maybe I'm just not "sophisticated" enough to enjoy things like this but ...more
Augusto
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Overall, this collection was a disappointment. There were some really good short stories such as "The Fermi Paradox is our Business Model" that deserve a five star rating, but I did not really enjoy the bulk of the stories. I recommend that anyone who is planning on reading this simply look at some of the other reviews and read only the stories that other people have mentioned as being worth reading.
Lindsay
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, 2013
This took me some time to get through, and there was a real mixture. Some of the stories were complete within themselves, and others were teasers for complete novels. Like many anthologies I enjoyed some tales more than others, but because I didn't really keep track of things as I was reading it I would probably have to spend a fair bit of effort to dig through and remind myself of authors and stories I would want to read again. Oops.
Jeremy Cox
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it
The collection is very up and down - I found some good, enjoyable stories, and a lot of postmodern drivel, where everyone dies or turns out to be twisted in some way. But I found a few authors I will be looking to read again.

If reading through this one, be prepared to skip over stories you don't like; the good ones for me were all fairly quickly obvious, and for the most part so was the junk.
Helen
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it

Most of the stories were very good, but I don't think I ever want to tackle a collection this big, ever again.
(1%)
I'm starting The Stories: I've finished one story and half a novella and I'm still not up to 2%? This could take a while! —
Nathan Shumate
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow. That's a LOT of stories. And only a couple of woofers in there.
Deryl Mack
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
150 of stories, but not all that many good ones. The vast majority where the kind where you even forget what is was about 2 minutes after you've finished reading it.
Joe
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
this counts as at least three books
Shawn Dvorak
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A huge, almost overwhelming collection of short stories, novellas, and excerpts from some of today's best sci-fi and fantasy authors.
Tammy Parrington
Aug 25, 2019
Matthew
Apr 30, 2015
Borys
rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2019
John
Jul 19, 2013
JM
Apr 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Dystopia Land: 5 years TOR 1 18 Aug 17, 2013 05:51AM
Lega Nerd: The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com 2 74 Aug 01, 2013 04:09AM

• Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel
  • Tartuffe
  • Free as in Freedom: Richard Stallman's Crusade for Free Software
  • How I Wish I'd Taught Maths: Lessons Learned from Research, Conversations with Experts, and 12 Years of Mistakes
  • The Cambridge History of the Cold War, Volume I: Origins
  • Linia Nocna: Singles Collection
  • Four Past Midnight
  • Hrabina Cosel
  • Python Tricks: The Book
  • Rio Anaconda
Gregory Benford is an American science fiction author and astrophysicist who is on the faculty of the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of California, Irvine.

As a science fiction author, Benford is best known for the Galactic Center Saga novels, beginning with In the Ocean of Night (1977). This series postulates a galaxy in which sentient organic life is in constant warfare wit