Start by marking “Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)

Of Metal and Wishes

(Of Metal and Wishes #1)

There are whispers of a ghost in the slaughterhouse where sixteen-year-old Wen assists her father in his medical clinic—a ghost who grants wishes to those who need them most. When one of the Noor, men hired as cheap factory labor, humiliates Wen, she makes an impulsive wish of her own, and the Ghost grants it. Brutally.

Guilt-ridden, Wen befriends the Noor, including their
Hardcover, First Edition, 321 pages
Published August 5th 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Of Metal and Wishes, please sign up.
Kenneth Roman
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Book_Lover_8
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
YA Novels of 2014
1,543 books — 9,146 voters
Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie PerkinsOf Metal and Wishes by Sarah FineThe Islands at the End of the World by Austin AslanBetween the Spark and the Burn by April Genevieve TucholkeGates of Thread and Stone by Lori M. Lee
New YA August 2014
86 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I bite my lip. My skin is hot with shame and I can’t quite catch my breath. “Did they do that to all of you?”

She gives me a pitying look. “Only you.”

I look at them, and I look down at myself, and I know why. All of the other women are wearing simple brown dresses with straight skirts and plain sleeves. I look like a peacock in this embroidered dress of mine.
This is a stunningly beautiful, complex book, but for two words: rape culture. Fucking rape culture, man.

This is one of the most reluctant
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars This gorgeous, poignant retelling of The Phantom of the Opera has shudder-inducing moments, wistful romance, and protagonists who care deeply about things other than themselves. AND diverse characters and class division and the most beautiful cover I've seen yet this year.

Recommended for fans of Cruel Beauty, The Winner's Curse, and other such dreamy but serious stories featuring forbidden love and atypical YA heroines.

Review to come.
Lola
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lola by: Sam
How...

description

That cliffhanger is just the worst...yet those are actuallty my favorites for they in reality make me long for a sequel. I just hope the continuation for this book will be released soon.

The premise of the story is not that high but the story does deliver. We have this mysterious ghost who keeps surprising us and, guess what? He grants wishes! Whatever your desire, he will make it come true. Except that sometimes we wish too quickly, without giving something second thoughts...

Wen is the
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An ARC of this novel was received from publisher/author in exchange for an honest review.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Full review follows Review in a GIFfy below.
_________________________

Review in a GIFfy -- This can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

I wasn't expecting to get the approval for Of Metal and Wishes, so when I received a copy for review from Simon & Schuster, there was a little flailing involved:

In the first five percent of the book, when I
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
Do you ever read and a book and think that technically you’re supposed to love everything about it, but you just somehow find yourself completely detached from everything and everyone? That’s what happened to me while reading Of Metal and Wishes. The premise sounded like something I would really enjoy (a Phantom of the Opera retelling? Count me in!) and the story contained intriguing elements (Chinese influence, a slaughterhouse setting) but I didn’t care what would happen to any of the ...more
Shannon
I somehow completely missed that this was a Phantom of the Opera retelling when I started and honestly I don't think it really mattered much. This has the basic structure of Phantom but it's still its own story.

Wen is a great character Everyone in this book is a great character. They're incredibly well-fleshed-out considering how different they all are: the villains especially. Bad people come in all shapes and sizes in this story. At times it seems to feel overwhelming that so many people are
Nenia ⚜️ Author of Filthy Trash and Unhinged Psychos ⚜️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Read for the Unapologetic Romance Readers Halloween 2017 Reading Challenge for the category of: a steampunk romance

I was wary about picking this one up because two reviewers I almost always agree with, Heather and Khanh, both gave this a pretty negative review. Also, it's steampunk and YA - two genres I often have issues with. Paired together? It seemed like too much. But THEN I found out that this was a Phantom of the Opera retelling
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
There is a ghost in the slaughterhouse. I kid you not. After our time in Suicide City with Lela Santos, this is where Sarah Fine chose to send us. A slaughterhouse. With a ghost inside. Can someone please give me a hug?

Of Metal and Wishes promised to be a terrifying and strangely beautiful story and it certainly delivered. It is practically unputdownable; once the atmosphere envelops you, the only way out is through the last page, and you have no choice but to go there. Fine’s writing
A.G. Howard
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome steampunkish Phantom of the Opera adaptation. Really want to read book 2!
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Wen's mother has just died and she's forced to move into the slaughterhouse to assist her father in the medical clinic. When one of the Noor, men hired as cheap factory labor, humiliates Wen, she makes an impulsive wish to the ghost... and he grants it. Brutally. Wen, feeling guilt for her role, befriends the Noor and their leader, Melik. At the same time, she is lured by the mystery of the Ghost and learns he has a long connection to her. As
Rashika (is tired)
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

When I first found out that Sarah Fine had a new book coming out, I was over the moon. My expectations soaredas I read the blurb, and I knew I needed this book in my life. It was only a couple weeks before reading this that I found out that this book was actually a retelling of The Phantom of the Opera. I don’t remember much from the movie (and I’ve never read the book) but I remembered the haunting atmosphere and the chills and how
♥ Sarah
Jan 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
WARNING: MAJOR RANT ABOUT THE ASIAN HATE IN THIS BOOK!

I was tricked by the enchantingly dreamy, beautiful cover. And the promising luster of the strange, eerie, and wonderful: a dash of steampunk, a tour de force romance, and a magical re-telling of The Phantom of the Opera. It was the perfect set up. Needless to say, I had very high hopes.

There were parts that were tolerable about this book. After all, I read this in only a couple of hours. It had the whole, “re-telling” (albeit, a very LOOSE
Keertana
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

First and foremost, you should know that I've never read or seen "The Phantom of the Opera." Secondly, you should know that I read Of Metal and Wishes not even knowing it was a re-telling of the above classic. So. If you're looking for a comprehensive review comparing these two novels, you've come to the wrong place.

Nevertheless, despite my lack of insight into the re-telling aspect of Of Metal and Wishes, I enjoyed it immensely. Wen assists her father in a medical clinic
Krys

Of Metal and Wishes is an upcoming Gothic Young Adult novel by Sarah Fine. The book is a retelling of The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux set it in a slaughterhouse. This novel is a stand alone.

Wen works alongside her father, Guiren, in the Gochan One, a slaughterhouse that supplies much of the surrounding area’s meat products. Wen assists Guiren, a doctor, as his nurse. While doing this all of her needs are met by the factory, though Gochan One extracts a heavy debt from its occupants.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I have been a huge fan of Ms. Fine's beautiful and sometimes dark and emotional writing since picking up her very first book. She is one of those authors that completely gets you immersed in the world she has created and before you know it you are completely lost to it.

Her beautiful and poignant writing is something to be revered and cherished. Something that can't be rushed or hurried as you dive into the breathtaking prose and soak it all in.

The almost steampunk Phantom of the Opera feel to
 Amelia
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Guyssss this is a Phantom of the Opera steampunk retelling and it was BEAUTIFUL *U*

I was so pleasantly surprised by this book, especially because it has sort of a love-triangle - a trope I generally HATE, and there was only one that I ever liked (Gale-Katniss-Peeta) - but I actually enjoyed it very much. It felt natural the whole time, the feelings were there and the MC didn't drag it at all. She's actually pretty sure about her romantic feelings and doesn't let the third person feel like he's
Lindsay Cummings
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING BOOK...a horrific, gorgeous, haunting, perfectly told rendition of Phantom of the Opera.

I finished it in just a few days! I had no idea what to expect when I started this one...especially because the characters lived in a completely different culture than what I'm used to in the United States. Sometimes, as a reader, that can be uncomfortable...but the characters and the story sucked me right in, and I didn't want to come back out once I started.
What a fantastic writing
Katherine
”They give up their hard-earned money and food to make offerings to the Ghost of Gochan One. They write their silly prayers and leave them at his altar at the front of the factory. They truly believe that he responds. I think he is nothing more than the bundling together of the useless wishes of the people who must spend their days in a terrible place like this.”

I love retellings of stories. But I tend to see the same stories retold over and over again: Beauty and the Beast. Cinderella.
Beth  (YA Books Central)
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So first of all...I have loved each and every book that Sarah Fine has co-authored or written. Every story she writes is so full of heart and suspense. I find myself completely intertwined in every story......SO....when I found out Sarah had written a new novel called Of Metal And Wishes that was supposed to be a re-telling of The Phantom of The Opera...then of course I had to get my hands on it!!!!! and I was not disappointed. Of Metal and Wishes is a phenomenally written YA Romance and ...more
Alexa
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

As soon as I finished reading chapter one, I just knew I was going to love this book. The eerie setting gave me a feeling similar to what I get when I look at photos of old buildings and factories. Wonder and awe. I felt this way not only with the setting but the entire story. It wasn't at all a surprise though because Of Metal and Wishes is the fourth novel I've read by Sarah Fine and her stories are some of my absolute favorites.

Of Metal and
Minni Mouse
It should be a requirement that one needs to have the soundtrack to The Phantom of the Opera on in the background while reading this book. Certain parts of the book demand the same loneliness and dark desperation as "Music of the Night" and "Down Once More."

What a wonderful, wonderful book. An easy read you can get through in one sitting.

THE BOOK
1) Maybe it's because this is my first steampunkish book, but I thought the world building was terrific. The metal and piping and rust...you could hear
Heather ~*Undercover Goth Queen*~
This started out a surprising four stars for me, but the stars quickly dropped off somewhere around the halfway mark. That's when the book took on a weird, judgmental sort of tone. You know, virginity is good, whoring is bad and deserves contempt. Virginity is treated as a prize. It's very subtle in this book, but clear.

The main character, Wen, is in constant danger of being raped, and not just from one bad guy. The majority of men in this book leer at or threaten her at some point. I read a
Shelley
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
*Genre* Retellings, Fantasy, Young Adult
*rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

Of Metal and Wishes is the first installment in the Of Metal and Wishes series by Sarah Fine. Sixteen-year-old Wen, an Itanyai, assists her father in his medical clinic at the local slaughterhouse. Wen and her family were once high class society, until her mother passed away, and was sent to live with her father at the factory. Wen has heard about a ghost that supposedly grants wishes to those who leave offerings to him.

*Full
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Re-read/listen so that I can get to the sequel posthaste! :D

Original review here.

Loved it just as much upon the second reading. All the Wen and Melik feels right now. CANNOT WAIT to start Of Dreams and Rust! And I'm mulling over whether to read Of Shadows and Obsession, but I'm not sure yet. After re-reading, I'm still kind of pissed at Bo, though I know he redeemed himself in the end...
Mauoijenn
This was an interesting story line and I ate it up.
It had a few spots were it was kind of predictable but it was good none the less.
Wish I had a ghost grant me a few wishes. Or maybe not!
Alyssa

Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Heidi
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars: A brilliant retelling of The Phantom of the Opera.

Wen tucks her head down and scurries to the depot. The Noor are arriving today, the latest recruits to work the killing floors of the slaughterhouse where Wen now lives with her father who is the physician. Wen is curious about the Noor as she has been told her whole life that they are dangerous barbarians. Yet when they disembark, they don't seem barbaric. A tall, skinny young man with rust colored hair catches Wen's eye. Wen has
nick
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2014-favorites

I read Of Metal and Wishes together with Sam over at Realm of Fiction one weekend and I was entirely smitten throughout. I tried to read the book as excruciatingly slow as possible, but it had such a hold over me that I absolutely couldn't not read it faster. While I was out doing my daily chores, my thoughts would easily wander to Of Metal and Wishes and even now, two weeks after I finished the book, I'm still reeling from the aftermath of reading a brilliant book.

Sarah Fine knows how to craft
Jo
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good the second time around! I love Sarah Fine's writing.
July 23-26, 2014
So, so good! It was the perfect blend of plot, characterization and beautiful writing. Oh, and did I mention that it was based loosely on The Phantom of the Opera? Anything to do with Phantom is a must read in my book, and I am so glad that this one lived up to my expectations. I cannot wait to read the sequel to this one! I want to see more of this world. Sarah Fine did a great job of creating a world within a
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
I've been thinking about the book and now I'm reducing my final mark to 2 stars.

Why?
Well, first of all, I understood that I didn't really like anything about this book. Wen is one of the most bland female MCs ever, the romance is dull and boring, there is barely a likable character, world building is nonexistent, first-person POV ruins the book, the writing is weird and it has lots of disturbing things.
I think the book is either a hit or miss and it's obviously a miss with me. I hated all the
Underwater Metal Detectors 1 1 Feb 27, 2019 06:58AM
Play Book Tag: Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine - 4 stars 3 7 Apr 23, 2016 10:08PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 10, 2015 10:18AM
Sirens Conference: Of Metal and Wishes 1 13 Jan 14, 2015 01:34PM

• Avalon (Avalon, #1)
  • From the Charred Remains (Lucy Campion Mysteries, #2)
  • A Murder at Rosamund's Gate  (Lucy Campion Mysteries, #1)
  • The Angel of Losses
  • The Giant Smugglers
  • Princess of Thorns
  • Wild Savage Stars (Sweet Black Waves, #2)
  • House of Small Shadows
  • The Gilded Cage
  • Forward Collection
  • Where She Fell
  • The Masque of a Murderer (Lucy Campion Mysteries, #3)
  • The Beautiful and the Cursed (The Dispossessed, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Dead Girl in 2A
  • Outrun the Moon
  • The Mirk and Midnight Hour
  • Prisoner of Ice and Snow (Prisoner of Ice and Snow, #1)
When I'm not writing, I'm psychologizing (really, I even get a paycheck for it). Sometimes I do both at the same time. The results are unpredictable.

To receive updates on new releases, sales, and bonus material, go to http://sarahfinebooks.com/ and click at the top of the page to sign up for the newsletter.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SarahFineBooks/

Instagram: Sarah.e.fine

Of Metal and Wishes (2 books)
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
“We cannot own each other, Bo. We can only offer what is ours to give.” 10 likes
“Instead of embroidering silk, I embroider skin.” 7 likes