Start by marking “Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)” as Want to Read:
Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)

Reliquary (Pendergast #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  29,463 Ratings  ·  968 Reviews
Hidden deep beneath Manhattan lies a warren of tunnels, sewers, and galleries, mostly forgotten by those who walk the streets above. There lies the ultimate secret of the Museum Beast. When two grotesquely deformed skeletons are found deep in the mud off the Manhattan shoreline, museum curator Margo Green is called in to aid the investigation. Margo must once again team up
Published August 1st 2005 by Tor Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Reliquary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reliquary

Stephen
Oh the humanity…the expectation-murdering ugh of the dreadful sequel to the quality original. Unfortunately they happen. Some are a menace to the phantoms of our youthful memories:
Photobucket

…others make us long for murderous Revenge on the studio that spawned it from their retched, greed-dripping Jaws.
Photobucket

Some sequels have plot/acting/directing so loaded with mockery- needed fail that we are transformed into staunch proponents of the virtues of franchise euthanasia:
Photobucket

…and some sequels are just big, bloated,
Sean Gibson
Mar 15, 2016 Sean Gibson rated it really liked it
If reading Relic was the literary equivalent of eating a hot dog, reading Reliquary is like eating a chili cheese dog with extra onions—it’s more of everything that was good (and also heartburn-inducing) about its predecessor. Higher stakes, a more elaborate (and ridiculous) mystery, crazier science/pseudo-science…heck, it even threw in a Scooby-Doo-esque villain (“I’d have gotten away with it, too, if you meddling FBI geniuses with cloying southern accents hadn’t stopped me!”).

So, chances are,
Dirk Grobbelaar
Mar 25, 2013 Dirk Grobbelaar rated it really liked it
Eighteen months before, she had stared into the face of Mbwun, seen her reflection in its feral red eyes.

First of all: the cover of Reliquary is misleading. I have a vague suspicion that the critter depicted is a rather innocuous and extraordinarily baboon-like depiction of Mbwun, because it certainly isn’t a Wrinkler. It was important for me to get that off my chest, because Reliquary is the first Pendergast novel that I read out of sequence. Why? Well, the closing chapters of Relic and the cov
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

With that tantalizing wrap-up of Relic, I couldn’t wait to revisit the story and characters in Reliquary. I’m glad the authors decided to continue the story of Mbwun right off, although it’s clear after the prologue that much has happened and mutated behind the scenes.

You get a return of the familiar characters, but most have changed a little, partly from the events they survived and partly from the developments which befell them as a consequence of those events. Margo has rounded out to be a li
Lisa
Jul 09, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Enjoyable sequel to Relic - it has the same fab characters and the same spooky story but this time set in the underground tunnels of New York. Love all the 'science' bits as before and just think it's a fun creepy story.
To add to the hilarity I listened to this one on audio and the man talking in a girl's voice made me laugh so much and then when they were denoting a thought rather than something said aloud they used an 'echo' effect - heehee! (I am so childish sometimes!)
Colleen
Feb 04, 2010 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
I love these books so much. I'm trying to reread the whole series (for what is probably the fourth or fifth time) before the latest book comes out in May. Funny reading this again, I couldn't help but notice how little Pendergast is in this one. All of the later ones focus on him much more, but in the earlier ones, the strength of the book is much more in the cast of characters and not one individual.

I like how fleshed out the world is. And I give major points to both authors for giving me so m
Mike (the Paladin)
I didn't care for this one quite as much as I did the first (Relic). Pendergast is still a good character but the story wanders a little farther into the suspension of disbelief area.

There is one point in this book that disappointed me particularly, but to go into what would require a notable spoiler. So, the book is still readable and enjoyable, Pendergast is still a good character (aside from the "Gary Stu" aspects. He is somewhat of a superhero.)...but I still didn't care for it quite as much
Quentin Wallace
Good novel, but not as good as The Relic. The Relic seemed like more of a classic monster story whereas this one took a different approach that I didn't think worked as well.

(view spoiler)
Oscar
Siempre me han llamado la atención los libros escritos a cuatro manos. No tengo claro cómo se coordinan a la hora de llevar a cabo el trabajo. ¿Un capítulo cada uno? ¿Uno tiene las ideas y otro redacta? Me parece que debe tener más ventajas que inconvenientes, ya que si uno de los dos se atasca en algún punto de la trama, siempre es más fácil salir del apuro consultando al otro. Lo que sí tengo claro es que el dúo Preston-Child realiza su trabajo de maravilla. Saben escribir, bien, muy bien.

‘El
Mónica Silva
Apr 02, 2013 Mónica Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Douglas Preston e Lincoln Child formam uma dupla imbatível no que concerne a construção de um bom thriller, capaz de prender o leitor até às últimas páginas! Este volume constitui a sequela direta de A Relíquia, dezoito meses após os fatídicos acontecimentos numa noite de pesadelo no Museu de História Natural de Nova Iorque. Rapidamente percebemos que a morte de Mbuwn, a terrível criatura mortífera, não restabeleceu a paz na cidade. Pelo co
Kribu
I can't really remember exactly which problems (other than slow start and somewhat lacking characterisation) I had with Relic, but whatever they were, I didn't have them with this one, which is more or less a direct sequel to the first book, taking place eighteen months later.

Frankly, by some other scale - some vague scale of "literary goodness" or whatever, this wouldn't be a four star book, but I did really like it, so...

Slowish start again, but this time it didn't really bother me. I even enj
Horace Derwent
Jul 04, 2016 Horace Derwent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sorry for my english, i can't fetch any proper adjectives to describe how good the book is

when i hadn't finished reading it yet, i mean, in the middle part of reading this, i just got gripped and shocked already

say, i nibbled finishing the book
John
Aug 07, 2010 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Here's a sequel I didn't expect much from, having read the original "Relic" twelve or so years ago. Not that the original story wasn't excellent, because it was; it's just that the awful movie version stuck with me and drained away any excitement toward revisiting those characters. Surprisingly, despite having had none of the fanfare of "Relic," Reliquary was a solid, down-and-dirty action thriller. Sure, it's much too long, but, like many a Stephen King novel, it's all written so well that you ...more
StoryTellerShannon
MINI REVIEW: A nice follow up to book one that doesn't suffer through the typical sophomoric slump. Yes, the beast is back but in a totally different manner so no real spoilers there. Focus upon the mole people of NYC with some interesting tidbits of American History that go back quite a ways. Dialog and story plotting are particularly well done and new characters come to visit. If you enjoyed the first book then you should enjoy this one as well.

WHEN READ: July to September 2010; MY GRADE: B p
Natasa
This book is equally entertaining as the first one, but still one start below. It doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy it though :)
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
A year and a half after the events that brought Pendergast, Vincent D'Agosta, Margo Green, William Smithback together, police divers stumble into two headless skeletons. One of them is completely deformed. The details of the case are enough for D'Agosta asks for Margo's help. This story is built upon the previous so even if it could be read as a standalone, it's better to read Relic first. I was beginning to think that Pendergast won't appear at all since he enters a quarter into the story.

The c
Rade
Apr 13, 2014 Rade rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
real rating would be somewhere around 3.5 stars

Let me just say that I did not think the sequel to Relic was necessary. yes there was a somewhat of a cliffhanger after all the other stuff was wrapped around in the first book, but a second book that featured the same characters was not necessary.

I liked this book, I really did. It was not necessarily bad, just different. I thought this one could have had similar creatures to the Relic book with few improvements to them. That would have been inte
Frank
This is a sequel to The Relic which I read about a year ago (actually listened to an audio book). This is also the second in the Pendergast series. Reliquary picks up from where Relic left off and tells how a large group of beasts similar to the beast in the Relic has been murdering and decapitating the citizens of New York, mainly the homeless who live in the myriad tunnels and forgotten chambers underneath Manhattan. The characters from the Relic return in this sequel including museum curator, ...more
Zell
Feb 14, 2010 Zell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Mbwun strikes back! This time in larger amounts. Maybe these hordes weren't Mbwun at all, but they existed anyway. Pendergast and his faithful company once again must save the World.

The idea for a plot is really poor. Something like: Lets do a sequel with nearly the same evil, but now our heroes are level upped, so we must duplicate the danger... A hundredfold or so. Relic was a horror with a pinch of mystery. Reliquary was a pinch of mystery without horror. Not such a good exchange.

So, what ha
Unauthorized Cinnamon McCann
I wanted something pulpy and easy - a book that tells its story in a straightforward fashion and draws the reader on with an interesting plot. To some extent, this satisfied that need. But I found it a little ham-fisted. Characters are generally either all-good or all-bad, and the obnoxious ones we're meant to hate are introduced through physical descriptions that loudly, emphatically shout, "YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO HATE THIS CHARACTER!"

Meanwhile, the plot developments to come are pretty obvious, es
Sep 30, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Angie
May 14, 2014 Angie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery and thriller fans
Recommended to Angie by: Steven
This was almost as much fun as the first book Relic. It was back in New York but was more centred on the tunnels beneath than in the museum. It was just as exciting and the characters were all well written. I found the mole people fascinating and I've ordered the nonfiction book that tells more about them. There are more Mbwun creatures living in NY now and the race is on to find and stop them, there were some good surprises included. I can recommend this book, I read it straight after the first ...more
Althea Ann
The sequel to Relic.
The dangerous substance that caused the killer man-dinosaur in the Natural History Museum has been synthesized and has spead as a drug through underground NYC. The homeless are being killed at a frightening rate, and rumors of freakish mutants in the lowest levels are spreading, but it takes a debutante's death to catch the attention of the media and the police department.
Will Our Heroes figure out the dastardly plot and succeed in the drastic measures they must take to save
Helena Martinčević
May 16, 2015 Helena Martinčević rated it it was amazing
Sjajna, sjajna knjiga! Napeta do samog kraja, izvanredan stil, jedva se ispusta iz ruku. Sve pohvale i cista desetka.
Pat
Oct 17, 2016 Pat rated it it was ok
Although it was entertaining in a not very plausible way, this has to be one of the most ludicrous books I've ever read. I can't even begin to describe it. And you would have to love reading pages and pages and chapters of descriptions of sewers and their revolting contents to get anyhing out of it.

Look, I enjoyed the earlier book, Relic. I read it quite some time ago so I can't be sure it was remotely more plausible but I seem to think so. Anyway, I knew what I was getting into and deliberately
Stefan Svartling
Sep 26, 2016 Stefan Svartling rated it really liked it
I actually think that Reliquary were better than Relic.
Neeke
Jul 29, 2011 Neeke rated it it was amazing
"He wanted to be God - his God, the God of evolution"

What an adrenaline rush... almost impossible to put down. Hate to say it, but I liked this one better than the prequel, as in terms of; story is as kick-ass as the other one, but reads even faster.
In this book they make up for the -at that moment- not that great and messy epilogue, by mingling it into this story.
Have to say that the start wasn't one of it's best points, as well as the Mole people bits in the beginning, but you just simply can
Yoda Bor
Jan 06, 2016 Yoda Bor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J’ai retrouvé avec grand plaisir tous les personnages que j’avais apprécié dans Relic.
Smithback est toujours aussi agaçant, il est devenu journaliste pour le Post et sa rivalité avec son collègue du Times m’a beaucoup amusée.
L’adjonction de Laura Hayward est une bonne idée, le premier roman de la saga manquait un peu de personnages féminins et le sergent est solide, décidée, courageuse et très intelligente.
Son introduction est d’autant plus intéressante qu’elle n’est pas traumatisée comme les au
Nicole R
Aug 16, 2013 Nicole R rated it liked it
I read Relic earlier this week which is the first book in the Pendergast series but Reliquary actually reads like a sequal. We return to the story of the Museum Beast and revisit the characters of Margo Green, Dr. Frock, Smithback, D'Argosta, and (of course) Pendergast. While I was entertained and thought the story was interesting, I had very different reactions to the first and second halves of the book.

The first half of the book would have been much more interesting if I hadn't read Relic. Aft
Papercuts1
Nov 14, 2011 Papercuts1 rated it really liked it
Shelves: killer-thrillers
I'd heard RELIQUARY was a weak rehash of RELIC, and I was surprised that, in fact, I thought it was the better one of the two.

Sure, the theme IS a rehash - or rather a variation. But it was cleverly done, and I particularly enjoyed that RELIQUARY no longer needed the rather longish exposition that RELIC had to lead the reader through. The cast of characters already established, the action can start immediately. And it does, spiraling toward a fulminant climax that gives us Pendergast in combat
Horror Aficionados : Reliquary by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child (#2 Pendergast) 24 33 May 08, 2015 01:57AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Reliquary 1 2 Jul 15, 2013 08:13AM
  • Utopia
  • Subterranean
  • Implant
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • Primal Waters (MEG #3)
  • This Green Hell (Alex Hunter, #3)
  • South of Heaven
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more
More about Douglas Preston...

Pendergast (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Relic (Pendergast, #1)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3)
  • Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4)
  • Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1)
  • Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6; Diogenes, #2)
  • The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)
  • The Wheel of Darkness (Pendergast, #8)
  • Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, #9)
  • Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)

“I have often found it true that the louder a person speaks, the less they have to say.” 5 likes
“Occam’s” 0 likes