Start by marking “Transformation” as Want to Read:

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  306 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Surely never such had existed before - a misshapen dwarf, with squinting eyes, distorted features, and a body deformed, till it became a horror to behold.

Having squandered his wealth, the feckless Guido returns home to claim the hand of the celestial Juliet, but finds himself censured by her father. Petulant at his chastisement, his Byronic temperament gets the better of h
Published July 1st 2004 by Hesperus Press (first published 1831)

To ask other readers questions about Transformation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transformation

Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
El romanticismo de Mary Shelley es maravilloso. En este cuento confluyen el amor, el orgullo y el titanismo byroniano en un amante dispuesto a todo por lograr el corazón de Juliet. También contiene la temática del doble. Es profundamente agradable leer a Mary Shelley...
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a good little book: just three stories collected together, but they're all interesting.

The first two are in the Gothic tradition: the title story, Transformation is a story of the squandering of youth's potential, of decadence and selfishness. A morality tale, but not overbearingly so. The scene of Guido on the desolate shore, meeting with the dwarf cast up from the stormy sea is very effective.

The second story, The Mortal Immortal tells of the growing loneliness and despair felt by Winz
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Another small book containing more short tales from Mary Shelley. I was reading something a while ago about the loss Mary suffered in her life, and her later works actually mirror her grief, notably in The Last Man and the collection of short stories in both The Pilgrims and here, in Transformation. Themes of loss, love, despair and sorrow are all too frequent in these books. She also had a heritage to live up to, both being the child of the radical philosopher William Godwin as well as the arch ...more
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I did wonder why the publishers decided to publish two such short short story collections instead of combing them into one reasonable sized books. I must say I prefered the stories in the Pilgrims, if only for having more women characters. I enjoyed the first two stories which were nice melancohly gothic tales but not so much the third which was more of a standard historical story. The first story as about a man who swapped bodies with a hideous dward, the second about a man who had unwittingly ...more
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mary Shelley is best known for "Frankenstein" and, to a lesser extent, her end-of-days novel "The Last Man". However, apart from a number of other novels, she also wrote several short stories, often with a supernatural or fantastic theme. Three of these are included in this attractive paperback edition published by Hesperus Classics. The title piece - "Transformation" - describes the narrator's Faustian pact with a devilish dwarf, and is rich in Gothic tropes. "The Mortal Immortal" features a ha ...more
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gothic
I picked this up in a swap at my local used bookstore. I'd never heard of these short stories so I was intrigued. They really weren't developed and never rose to the exquisite beauty of Frankenstein.

Transformation (1831) was a kind of simplistic morality tale, though I did enjoy her comparing the noise of the sea to kids getting out of school: "What a noise this ocean makes. Schoolboys bursting from their prison are not louder than these waves set free" (p. 14). Things never change. The Mortal
Maria Pallozzi
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Tre storie, tre diverse metamorfosi (il titolo italiano credo sia Metamorfosi, almeno il mio ebook così si chiamava).
Non capisco perché la Shelley debba esser ricordata solo per il suo Prometeo moderno- Frankenstein, e che non vengano rese note anche le sue altre opere, è una scrittrice valida, anche se romantica.
:/ Debbo dire che non sono molto capace di apprezzare il romanticismo, davvero, almeno non la parte che cerca con la natura di riallacciarsi all'assoluto, il romanzo gotico mi piace inv
Wilde Sky
Jun 20, 2011 rated it liked it
This book contains three stories that vary greatly in standard. The first (and by far and away the best) of the stories is Transformation - this story is worth reading (I would rate this 4 star). The second, The Mortal Immortal, is interesting, but not a real page turner, I would rate this 3 stars. I found the last story, The Evil Eye, to be disappointing, I would only give this 1 star.
Dec 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Liked these stories. They reminded me of some of the Celtic fairy-tales.
Jul 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Beautiful prose, creepy beautiful
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Two fantastic short stories and one that was barely readable. The last story just faltered. Every time I thought we'd finally found a pace and was getting into the story, it would get bogged down in something that seemed irrelevant and ruined the flow. I've read the end three times and still can't discern what ultimately happened. But the first story was astounding and expertly crafted. The second was fantastic. It was the third that missed the mark.

While Mary Shelley's "The Evil Eye" wasn't one
Mar 03, 2009 rated it liked it

I was expecting three first-rate tales to enjoy by candlelight on a cold winter's night. As I read, I remembered that Shelley wrote before the advent of the full-blown Victorian ghost story, with all its atmospheric trappings. These tales are in the mode of Horace Walpole and the "gothic" weirdness of pre-Victorian literature. Think of them as dark Romantic. They aren't Frankenstein, but, if read in the right spirit, they are enjoyable.

They include some wonderful set-pieces, like the
Ana Rînceanu
Three different stories, three different reactions. I really liked "Transformation"'s tale of hard earned redemption. The "The Mortal Immortal" held my interest with the narator's search for death to end his mistakenly begotten immortality. "The Evil Eye" left me a little cold, but overall this was a pleasant read. This book has been my introduction to Mary Shelley's writing and I definetly will read more from her.
Kine Torstensen
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Out of the three short stories Transformation and The Mortal Immortal were the better ones. The Evil Eye was a bit tougher to get through and I'm not sure I understood it completely, although the notes at the end of each story was helpful.
I enjoy Mary Shelley's writing very much. It is gothic, kind of creepy and grotesqe, but it conveys good messages and is quite beautiful as well.
Victoria (victoriashaz)
So this wasn't a bad story. I read it for an essay I'm currently writing. I get that Guido is a normal name but all I could picture were the people from the Jersey Shore but in like 17th century clothing and it was just... It was an experience
Мартин Касабов
Три готически разказа от Мери Шели, в превод на Милен Русков. С много грешки!!!

"Преображение" е най-добрият, другите два не толкова, но пък "Лошото око" е все едно четеш "Старопланински легенди".
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I cannot think of a way to describe the plot without giving it away. It is worth reading.
Gregory Rothbard
a romance about puritanical concept of ego and how it really takes over a man
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
First two stories, gothic and philosophical, rate 4 stars each.
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's just something about the way they talk.
Aug 22, 2009 added it
This book was entertaining if nothing else.
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good short story by a favorite author to listen to on October 31... thanks Librivox!
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Two great gothic short stories by Mary Shelley (Transformation and The Mortal Immortal) and one just okay one (The Evil Eye).
Asha Seth
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Review to follow!
Richard Cubitt
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Three absorbing short stories from the highly talented Mary Shelley. 1 - Transformation: A Byronic anti-hero suffers for his pride. 2 - The Mortal Immortal: Alchemy, tragic love, and everlasting life(maybe). 3 - The Evil Eye: Rough Albanians and Greeks, a kidnapping, and a pursuit, well weaved into an adventure-like yarn. Definitely recommended.
Feb 28, 2013
Dec 24, 2017
Jul 22, 2011
Febiola Alexander
Sep 20, 2013
rated it did not like it
Dec 25, 2012
  • The Mark on the Wall and Other Short Fiction
  • Vendetta or the Story of One Forgotten
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
  • Zastrozzi
  • Doctor Who: The Forgotten (The Forgotten, #1)
  • The Water of the Wondrous Isles
  • The Female Detective
  • Three Gothic Novels : The Castle of Otranto ~ Vathek ~ Frankenstein
  • The Bishop of Hell and Other Stories (Mystery & Supernatural)
  • The Lancashire Witches
  • Tales of Unease
  • Out Of Space And Time Volume 1
Mary Shelley (née Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin, often known as Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley) was a British novelist, short story writer, dramatist, essayist, biographer, travel writer, and editor of the works of her husband, Romantic poet and philosopher Percy Bysshe Shelley. She was the daughter of the political philosopher William Godwin and the writer, philosopher, and feminist Mary Wollstonecraft ...more
More about Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“What is there so fearful as the expectation of evil tidings delayed? ... Misery is a more welcome visitant when she comes in her darkest guise and wraps us in perpetual black, for then the heart no longer sickens with disappointed hope.

- The Evil Eye”