Start by marking “Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)” as Want to Read:
Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)

Proven Guilty

(The Dresden Files #8)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  113,111 ratings  ·  3,250 reviews
There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and the White Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted Harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City.

As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem
Published February 6th 2007 by Roc (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Proven Guilty, please sign up.
Lokita Because we are adults who are capable of recognizing that flawed characters in a fictional situation are detached from any kind of reality. Also, beca…moreBecause we are adults who are capable of recognizing that flawed characters in a fictional situation are detached from any kind of reality. Also, because in nearly half of the United States, including Illinois, the age of consent is actually 16.(less)
Brian
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  113,111 ratings  ·  3,250 reviews

Start your review of Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
Petrik
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as Dead Beat, but this is another great read, as expected.

I’ll keep this review shorter than usual. I’m eight books into the series now, and it’s getting harder to talk about the book without including spoilers. Let’s start by saying that I’m genuinely surprised that I still find myself so entertained. I mean, Butcher hasn’t changed his formulaic storytelling structure, but the characters have been super well-established, and their development has brought me constant happiness. In Pr
Lyn
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
The 8th book in Jim Butcher’s fantastic Dresden Files series, Proven Guilty, first published in 2006, is a more sedate, brooding and dark entry.

No doubt Butcher’s page turning, fast paced first person narrative, corny humor and ubiquitous and fun cultural and pop references abound as in other Dresden books, but this one seems more introspective and more attuned to story and character development.

There’s plenty of action, don’t get me wrong, Harry’s ability to use Hellfire is again explored and t
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

So wonderful, it hurts.

This series on audiobook is TO DIE FOR! It keeps getting better and better, and I'm hooked beyond hope. I love you, Harry Dresden, and I love Jim Butcher for his brilliant mind.
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
If the charge is writing one of the best Harry Dresden novels yet, then Jim Butcher has just been Proven Guilty!

As a practicing wizard, Harry Dresden has always been troubled by the methods of his bosses in the White Council. But since becoming a Warden and witnessing the Council's methods firsthand...now he's outright disgusted by them! When someone is caught practicing black magic, rather then considering rehabilitation for the practitioner, the Council prefers to simply cut the dark wizard of
Luffy
May 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Well, well, well. My, my, my. This book illustrates perfectly why I'm safe from being a die hard fan of any author. I don't have a shred of loyalty towards my favorite authors, and I wear that attitude like a badge of honor. Most of the Dresden books I've read so far have scored well. Because of that, I believe that Jim Butcher doesn't need to punch above his weight to write a damn good book. He is frighteningly talented. So what happened here?

I'm not alone in finding Proven Guilty a mediocre
Alex Nieves
Apr 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full video review here: https://youtu.be/da_bnuDgVhs

My new #1 Dresden book has arrived. This hit on so many levels from the stakes of the story, the emotional beats with each of the characters and the general direction the books are going. Video review coming soon but what a great book.
Steven
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017, reread
Reread with the lobster
Jody
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Monster movie mania meets The Sorcerer's Apprentice. Another magic filled adventure in good ol' Chicago with the worlds most notorious wizard. Full RTC! ...more
Lindsey Rey
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
[4.5 Stars]
Amazing start, even-more-amazing finish, but it definitely got dull in the middle so I couldn't give it a full 5 stars.
Heidi The Reader
The wizard Harry Dresden continues to anger the White Council, the Red Court of Vampires, the winter court of the Fey and pretty much everyone else in the universe. He and Bob have a new (dangerous) project in his work space. He's worried about his half-brother, Thomas, who has been acting kind of weird and may or may not be feeding off of people again. He and Murphy are starting to talk about their interesting relationship and there's a fallen angel in the concrete of his house. Could things ge ...more
William Thomas
Jim Butcher is a creep. And not the cool kind of creep like Bukowski that you romanticize, but like Ezra from 'Pretty Little Liars' kind of creep. Seriously, Butcher, I'm not putting this one on Harry. The last few pages of this book made my skin crawl. Sexualizing an underage character and Harry blatantly lusting after her and beating himself up over it and trying to moralize it is just... awful. But like I said, this isn't Harry. This is some weird thing Jim Butcher has going on in his head. W ...more
Tosh
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m gonna say it again...the series just keeps getting better! I know - told ya so’s are in order, but I have to tell you that those first few books weren’t all that convincing. Not that they were bad mind you, but I didn’t feel much for the characters other than a very shallow interest. Mostly, I kept reading to satisfy a mild curiosity to see how Harry would solve his next case - oh and I was being pressured by a longtime fan. Twisted my arm, she did.

But now, these last few books I’ve been rea
Angela
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read. This series just gets better and better and I love how there are now so many secondary characters that get revolved between the various books. It makes the series that little bit more compelling as when you start the book you're not 100% sure who is going to be in it.

It felt to me like there was a lot of foreshadowing in this one. Ultimately how powerful is Harry going to become?
Deborah Markus
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
6 Super-Quick, New-Year's-Eve-And-I-Have-To-Finish-This-Year's-Reading-Challenge Reasons I Finally Gave A Harry Dresden Novel Five Flippin' Stars

1. Harry eased way the heck up on the two things that always make me roll my eyes in Dresden File novels: the obligatory "People don't believe in the supernatural these days" speech (yeah, that happened), and the "Women are different from men and I'm a way nice guy for being extra-protective of women" scene.

2. I was genuinely spooked by one scene, and t
David
Jan 29, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the White Council meetings made me scream out “Holy Shit!” while I was driving my car on the freeway. Enough said.

I loved this audible installment - particularly because of the reunion with some past beloved characters. It also surely sets the plate for some big time intensity in the books that follow.

This series has definitely ramped up to a new level of awesomeness! 😎

On to the next one!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Audrey

This was a great addition to the Dresden Files. The first half is about fighting a phobo-phage at a horror convention, but it turns out there is more going on than just a monster. This gives the story an interesting twist. The story is well structured with good pacing.

Side characters feature Michael’s family, though Michael himself is mostly absent. Bob also has some great lines. Excellent audio narration by James Marsters.
Will M.
The audiobook version of this series is really good. Terrific narrator, and this novel almost made me give the book a 5 star rating, but it's still lacking a bit more. Can't wait to listen to the next novel, or maybe read it. ...more
Howard
Mar 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars for Proven Guilty: The Dresden Files Series Book 8 by Jim Butcher read by James Masters. This is one of my favorite books from the series. I really liked the characters and how it moved the storyline on.
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I enjoyed this book the first time I read it and I think that it was even better during this re-read. This is the eighth book in the Harry Dresden series which really should be read in order since each book builds on events from previous installments. It is a great series to revisit anytime I want to read something that I know I am going to enjoy.

Once again, Harry finds himself in the middle of a mess. He receives a call from Molly
Patrick
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another awesome adventure!
Dylan
Aug 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction-2021
“I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family.”

“A bolt of warmth, fierce with joy and pride and gratitude, flashed through me like sudden lightning. I don’t care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching—they are your family. And they were my heroes.”

Introduction

You might be wondering why I featured th
Kyle Erickson
May 16, 2022 rated it really liked it
Goddamn, I am a believer. Dresden is a great series.

"I don't care whose DNA is recombined with whose, when everything goes to Hell, the people who stand beside you without flinching, *they* are your family. And they were my heroes. "

We have reached the crux where Butcher's prose has noticeably leveled up- there were multiple beautiful or introspective passages that I appreciated for the first time- and also having the world and characters fleshed out enough that this entire book is just superb
Israt Zaman Disha
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Comparing with the previous book of the series, I found it a little less thrilling. But I can make peace with that. Harry Dresden doesn't always need earth collapsing disasters or dangers. He is a mortal after all. Well whatever that was stake in this story was no less important to him. Overall a good story. But after the seventh book my expectation was bound to be high. So I am guessing my rating is a little biased. Maybe I would give it a 4 if I had not read the previous one. ...more
Em Lost In Books
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, 4-star, 2000-09
this book starts with Harry witnessing an execution of a black magic practitioner. Then he gets a warning about something dangerous is about to happen in Chicago. Harry has to find what is about to happen and stop it. if all that is not enough Molly Carpenter, his friend Michael’s daughter, ask him to come and bail out her friend. And thats where Harry finds himself in knee deep shit.

Now these books in the series are at a point where I can not discuss the story without giving spoilers about pre
JHollywood
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
Feel like im always saying the same things. With every book the risk get greater, the power gets stronger, the consequences become bigger and greater and a lot more interesting. Truly, with every new book the story gets larger and bigger. The events and results have a lot more impact on a lot more then previous. Plus I always love new and old coming together and making the results that much more fun. Dresden is a fucking bad ass and I can’t wait to continue with the series. The scale and scope i ...more
Carolyn
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy

I love Harry Dresden and I love this series but this book felt like a bit of a filler. It didn't seem to move the overall story along very much and nothing new about Harry himself was revealed. The war against the Red Court of vampires and the White Council of wizards is still raging but it's mostly happening in the background and Harry is only peripherally involved. Instead Harry, now a Warden, is involved in tracking down whoever is using black magic to terrify and hurt people attending a horr
fleurette
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The beginning of this story is rather slow, but I generally enjoyed it quite a lot. Maybe I was just in mood for something like this or maybe this addition to the Dresden series is one of the better ones because I find it somehow more interesting than the previous books.

I think that the whole story is not as dark as some other books in this series and I really like it. And still, the story is very eventful and with lot of action. The plot is complicated and well-developed.

I truly enjoyed this b
Stewart Tame
Dec 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this series. Yes, there are quite a few series out there that merge fantasy and private eye tropes, but no one else does it quite like Jim Butcher. Harry Dresden is a character for the ages, with a supporting cast that's more than just background. I think I've officially reached the point where each book feels like visiting old friends.

There's fairly strong book-to-book continuity, so do read these in order if it's at all possible.

I described the scene where Harry faces dow
Ashley
September 2017 re-read: Most of this book is muchly good, but I do have one substantial complaint. But more on that later.

As I re-read this series, I continue to enjoy it much more than I did the first time through. I'm not going to rehash why (combo of knowing all the characters now and where they end up, along with catching things I didn't the first time through). Just assume the same things I've said for books four through seven also apply here.

Most of this book is spent with Harry adjusting
☕️Kimberly
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Narrated by James Marsters Proven Guilty offered an intense, sometimes heartfelt story and engaging mystery. Take my hand, we're off to Never, Neverland.

Harry has his hands full with the White Council, the Red Court of Vampires and the Winter Court of the Fey. Thomas has been acting strange and won't share with Harry. But, an assignment investigating the use of dark magic in Chicago soon brings more problems for our wizard.

When Harry gets a call from Molly Carpenter, the daughter of his friend M

• Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Breach of Peace (Lawful Times, #1)
  • Naked City
  • Unbound
  • Strange Brew
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • Ruin (The Faithful and the Fallen, #3)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Jade War (The Green Bone Saga, #2)
  • Wrath (The Faithful and the Fallen, #4)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
See top shelves…
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)