Start by marking “Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)” as Want to Read:
Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)

Proven Guilty

(The Dresden Files #8)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  104,366 ratings  ·  2,810 reviews
There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and the White Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted Harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City.

As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem
Published February 6th 2007 by Roc (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Proven Guilty, please sign up.
Brian
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Naaj I mean Dresden himself yet does not know in this book. The Black Council as an entity to fight only really starts to play a bigger role in the end of …moreI mean Dresden himself yet does not know in this book. The Black Council as an entity to fight only really starts to play a bigger role in the end of this book. Later books expand on this. Though a full explanation has yet to reveal itself. (less)

·  104,366 ratings  ·  2,810 reviews

Start your review of Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
Petrik
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as Dead Beat, but this is another great read, as expected.

I’ll keep this review shorter than usual. I’m eight books into the series now, and it’s getting harder to talk about the book without including spoilers. Let’s start by saying that I’m genuinely surprised that I still find myself so entertained. I mean, Butcher hasn’t changed his formulaic storytelling structure, but the characters have been super well-established, and their development has brought me constant happiness. In Pr
Lyn
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
The 8th book in Jim Butcher’s fantastic Dresden Files series, Proven Guilty, first published in 2006, is a more sedate, brooding and dark entry.

No doubt Butcher’s page turning, fast paced first person narrative, corny humor and ubiquitous and fun cultural and pop references abound as in other Dresden books, but this one seems more introspective and more attuned to story and character development.

There’s plenty of action, don’t get me wrong, Harry’s ability to use Hellfire is again explored and t
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

So wonderful, it hurts.

This series on audiobook is TO DIE FOR! It keeps getting better and better, and I'm hooked beyond hope. I love you, Harry Dresden, and I love Jim Butcher for his brilliant mind.
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
If the charge is writing one of the best Harry Dresden novels yet, then Jim Butcher has just been Proven Guilty!

As a practicing wizard, Harry Dresden has always been troubled by the methods of his bosses in the White Council. But since becoming a Warden and witnessing the Council's methods firsthand...now he's outright disgusted by them! When someone is caught practicing black magic, rather then considering rehabilitation for the practitioner, the Council prefers to simply cut the dark wizard of
Luffy
May 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Well, well, well. My, my, my. This book illustrates perfectly why I'm safe from being a die hard fan of any author. I don't have a shred of loyalty towards my favorite authors, and I wear that attitude like a badge of honor. Most of the Dresden books I've read so far have scored well. Because of that, I believe that Jim Butcher doesn't need to punch above his weight to write a damn good book. He is frighteningly talented. So what happened here?

I'm not alone in finding Proven Guilty a mediocre
Steven
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, read-in-2017
Reread with the lobster
Jody
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Monster movie mania meets The Sorcerer's Apprentice. Another magic filled adventure in good ol' Chicago with the worlds most notorious wizard. Full RTC!
Lindsey Rey
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
[4.5 Stars]
Amazing start, even-more-amazing finish, but it definitely got dull in the middle so I couldn't give it a full 5 stars.
Heidi The Reader
The wizard Harry Dresden continues to anger the White Council, the Red Court of Vampires, the winter court of the Fey and pretty much everyone else in the universe. He and Bob have a new (dangerous) project in his work space. He's worried about his half-brother, Thomas, who has been acting kind of weird and may or may not be feeding off of people again. He and Murphy are starting to talk about their interesting relationship and there's a fallen angel in the concrete of his house. Could things ge ...more
Angela
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read. This series just gets better and better and I love how there are now so many secondary characters that get revolved between the various books. It makes the series that little bit more compelling as when you start the book you're not 100% sure who is going to be in it.

It felt to me like there was a lot of foreshadowing in this one. Ultimately how powerful is Harry going to become?
Tosh
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m gonna say it again...the series just keeps getting better! I know - told ya so’s are in order, but I have to tell you that those first few books weren’t all that convincing. Not that they were bad mind you, but I didn’t feel much for the characters other than a very shallow interest. Mostly, I kept reading to satisfy a mild curiosity to see how Harry would solve his next case - oh and I was being pressured by a longtime fan. Twisted my arm, she did.

But now, these last few books I’ve been rea
William Thomas
Jim Butcher is a creep. And not the cool kind of creep like Bukowski that you romanticize, but like Ezra from 'Pretty Little Liars' kind of creep. Seriously, Butcher, I'm not putting this one on Harry. The last few pages of this book made my skin crawl. Sexualizing an underage character and Harry blatantly lusting after her and beating himself up over it and trying to moralize it is just... awful. But like I said, this isn't Harry. This is some weird thing Jim Butcher has going on in his head. W ...more
Deborah Markus
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
6 Super-Quick, New-Year's-Eve-And-I-Have-To-Finish-This-Year's-Reading-Challenge Reasons I Finally Gave A Harry Dresden Novel Five Flippin' Stars

1. Harry eased way the heck up on the two things that always make me roll my eyes in Dresden File novels: the obligatory "People don't believe in the supernatural these days" speech (yeah, that happened), and the "Women are different from men and I'm a way nice guy for being extra-protective of women" scene.

2. I was genuinely spooked by one scene, and t
Audrey

This was a great addition to the Dresden Files. The first half is about fighting a phobo-phage at a horror convention, but it turns out there is more going on than just a monster. This gives the story an interesting twist. The story is well structured with good pacing.

Side characters feature Michael’s family, though Michael himself is mostly absent. Bob also has some great lines. Excellent audio narration by James Marsters.
JHollywood
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
Feel like im always saying the same things. With every book the risk get greater, the power gets stronger, the consequences become bigger and greater and a lot more interesting. Truly, with every new book the story gets larger and bigger. The events and results have a lot more impact on a lot more then previous. Plus I always love new and old coming together and making the results that much more fun. Dresden is a fucking bad ass and I can’t wait to continue with the series. The scale and scope i ...more
Will M.
The audiobook version of this series is really good. Terrific narrator, and this novel almost made me give the book a 5 star rating, but it's still lacking a bit more. Can't wait to listen to the next novel, or maybe read it.
Patrick
Another awesome adventure!
Israt Zaman Disha
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Comparing with the previous book of the series, I found it a little less thrilling. But I can make peace with that. Harry Dresden doesn't always need earth collapsing disasters or dangers. He is a mortal after all. Well whatever that was stake in this story was no less important to him. Overall a good story. But after the seventh book my expectation was bound to be high. So I am guessing my rating is a little biased. Maybe I would give it a 4 if I had not read the previous one.
Em Lost In Books
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, 4-star, 2000-09
this book starts with Harry witnessing an execution of a black magic practitioner. Then he gets a warning about something dangerous is about to happen in Chicago. Harry has to find what is about to happen and stop it. if all that is not enough Molly Carpenter, his friend Michael’s daughter, ask him to come and bail out her friend. And thats where Harry finds himself in knee deep shit.

Now these books in the series are at a point where I can not discuss the story without giving spoilers about pre
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
Initial Thoughts
I always seem to have a good time with Harry and this book was no exception. When Harry gets a call for help from Molly Carpenter things get interesting really quickly. Someone is doing black magic and Harry needs to get the bottom of everything before someone gets hurt. There are some pretty big developments in this installment in the series and it was great seeing Harry work his magic. James Marsters did a phenomenal job with the narration which added a lot to my overall enjoym
Ashley
September 2017 re-read: Most of this book is muchly good, but I do have one substantial complaint. But more on that later.

As I re-read this series, I continue to enjoy it much more than I did the first time through. I'm not going to rehash why (combo of knowing all the characters now and where they end up, along with catching things I didn't the first time through). Just assume the same things I've said for books four through seven also apply here.

Most of this book is spent with Harry adjusting
☕️Kimberly
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Narrated by James Marsters Proven Guilty offered an intense, sometimes heartfelt story and engaging mystery. Take my hand, we're off to Never, Neverland.

Harry has his hands full with the White Council, the Red Court of Vampires and the Winter Court of the Fey. Thomas has been acting strange and won't share with Harry. But, an assignment investigating the use of dark magic in Chicago soon brings more problems for our wizard.

When Harry gets a call from Molly Carpenter, the daughter of his friend M
Skylar Phelps
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full Stars! And quite possibly my favorite of the series yet. Maybe.

The quick action and standard Dresden episodical feel were sidelined a little bit, or at least that’s how I felt, as there was less of a clear cut villain to defeat and more of a sinister overarching conspiracy that Harry realizes he’s been thrown into and has to puzzle answers together piece by piece while still fighting with everything he’s got to protect his friends and the innocent people of Chicago.

Proven Guilty is satisfy
fleurette
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The beginning of this story is rather slow, but I generally enjoyed it quite a lot. Maybe I was just in mood for something like this or maybe this addition to the Dresden series is one of the better ones because I find it somehow more interesting than the previous books.

I think that the whole story is not as dark as some other books in this series and I really like it. And still, the story is very eventful and with lot of action. The plot is complicated and well-developed.

I truly enjoyed this b
Justyna
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favourite of Dresden Files. There are several books in the series that are better than Proven Guilty, but still, this one is quite strong and very enjoyable.

Harry is now a part of the White Council and a Warden, and I really enjoyed seeing how he adjusted to his new role. After reading how he always got into troubles with the White Council, it was interesting to see him as a part of it...not that he didn't get into trouble with them again;) But that wasn't really his faul
TS Chan
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Another strong instalment in the Dresden Files series. The plot was fascinating and engaging with some horror cum slasher vibe. The best part was how the characterisation of Harry and the key supporting characters just kept on improving with each book. I truly care for all these people now and that makes any reading experience more powerful. What I loved most about this series is that Harry Dresden is far from being the most powerful wizard around. However, his resourcefulness and kind
Carolyn
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy

I love Harry Dresden and I love this series but this book felt like a bit of a filler. It didn't seem to move the overall story along very much and nothing new about Harry himself was revealed. The war against the Red Court of vampires and the White Council of wizards is still raging but it's mostly happening in the background and Harry is only peripherally involved. Instead Harry, now a Warden, is involved in tracking down whoever is using black magic to terrify and hurt people attending a horr
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Proven Guilty is book eight in The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

It never rains, but it pours. This one was full of black magic, faeries, ghost and more. Harry is adjusting to his new role as Warden, doing the right thing and enforcing the laws of magic don’t always go together and a bit of tough love proceeds. So much happens and the surprises keep coming.

Harry gets help from an unlikely source, Charity. Also Thomas and Murphy come along on this adventure. The war is still going on, but things
Jilly
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I get tired of being the guy who is supposed to deal with un-deal-withable situations.

(I just found another reason I like Harry - his penchant for making up his own words. That's totally my thing! I find that adding an -ness and -ish to words that shouldn't have them is helpful.)

wiggle eyebrows photo: 0de30684.gif

Anyway....
In this exciting episode, Harry is assigned to find out information from the Fae courts, who is practicing black magic, and catch the person or thing responsible for sending out creepy monste
Becky
Another great edition in this series. I'm terrible at writing reviews of in-progress series books, and I think I'm running out of ways to say that I love Harry Dresden, because I just finished this book and I'm completely at a loss as to what the heck to say about it.

Except that I love Harry Dresden. But we knew that, didn't we?

I did really enjoy coming back to Harry's world, and despite the 2 1/2 month gap between finishing Dead Beat and starting Proven Guilty, I picked up right where I left

• My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • The Original
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • Magic City: Recent Spells
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)