Start by marking “Exit Strategy (Nadia Stafford, #1)” as Want to Read:
Exit Strategy (Nadia Stafford, #1)

Exit Strategy

(Nadia Stafford #1)

Nadia Stafford is an ex-cop - fired after she shot a child killer. She now works for one small mafia family: the way she sees it, no-one innocent is getting hurt. But then a serial killer starts murdering innocent people in the style of a hitman.
Published July 5th 2007 by Sphere (first published June 26th 2007)

Alex is The Romance Fox
I am a huge fan of Kelley Armstrong and it was a real surprise finding her new series that is nothing like her others, namely paranormal romance.

Introducing a new kick-ass protagonist, Nadia Stafford, ex cop turned hit woman/assassin of bad guys, we are taken into a world of criminals, assassins, spies filled with suspense and mystery.

Nadia Stafford, dishonorably retired from a Canadian police force for shooting a suspect dead, now owner of a lakeside lodge in the Canadian wilderness and part-ti
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
3/28/18 - ON SALE for $1.99:

I didn't love this first book in the series, but I did love the second and third, so . . . do with that what you will.

Kelley Armstrong is turning into a major point of confusion for me.

Most of the time when I REALLY a series by author--I'm talking Top 5 UF Series here--other books by the same author are a pretty safe bet. I might not absolutely love every single thing the write, but for the most part, I like them enough to have them on my aut
Meep
Nadia is quite refreshing in that she's a strong female character capable of keeping up with the boys who doesn't rely on cheap wisecracks. As her urban-fantasy series shows Armstrong is good at writing strong women and layering them without the usual cliches. The characters feel real, even without learning every detail you see how different things drive them.

The morality is interesting. They're paid assasins; our 'good-guys' aren't lily white, I found it an interesting mix. Nadia who has bounda
Didi
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 TO 4 STARS

Kelley Armstrong is a fantastic writer. I've loved everything I've read by her and even though this is different from her usual, I still really liked it. Nadia Strafford is a hitwoman, used to be a cop until a serious decision resulted in career-ending consequences. She also owns a lodge in Northern Ontario where she dreams of one day retiring to, but a serial killer is hunting innocent individuals and it all seems for fun. Along with her mentor Jack, and his associate, Evelyn, the
Susana
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who have trouble falling asleep
Shelves: kelley-armstrong
2.5 Stars

This story felt very unlike KA: the characters come out as undeveloped sketches ( instead of mysterious), and the pace was SLOW as f***. -_-
This has to be the most tedious thriller I have ever read... next to The Other Daughter.
I lost count to the number of times in which I simply lost track of what I had read, simply because everything was so Boring.
And slow. And uneventful.
Also I hate when characters are supposed to come out as badasses, and when push comes to shove they fail miserabl
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
What a fun read and unexpected female protagonist! Regulars at Nadia's nature lodge don't ask what she does in the off-season. And that's a good thing. If she told them, she'd have to kill them. She's a hit woman for a Mafia family.Yes, a disgraced cop turned lodge owner turned gun for hire. But Nadia is very picky about her targets - they all must be Mafia thugs. She is very cautious when she is on the job as we see in the first couple of chapters.

And then, something that can place her and eve
Sofija
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know the situation, when you expect so much from the book and it just left you disappointed?
With “Exit strategy” situation was reversed. I picked it up not expecting anything higher than middle-class book, but I find myself really enjoying it.
The summary of it is that an ex-cop now works as a hitwoman and unites with other hitmen for killing another hitman who became a serial killer. I think it is a cool story! It was full with action, strategy planning, police procedures and insight in hitm
Robin
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nadia Stafford owns a lodge in the Canadian Wilderness, catering to hunters and outdoorsmen. When she's not working at the lodge, Nadia is a professional hitman, working for the mob to take out members that stray. Nadia is approached by her mentor Jack. There is a ruthless serial killer known as the Helter Skelter Killer (HSK). He has left bodies littering the countryside. Jack believes HSK may be a retired hitman. He wants to put together a group to take out HSK before he brings the heat of the ...more
Jacob Proffitt
I quit at about the 90% mark. The emotional constipation of Jack and Nadia was hard to take (however charming it started) but I started to lose charity when so many "chance" events started breaking the same way—to prolong the story. I try to be generous about chance in fiction novels. Life is a gamble, after all, so it makes sense if random plays a role in a novel. After a bit, though, I began to suspect that random wasn't really in play. I can generally give the bad guy a good break and the goo ...more
Siobhan
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is such a good thriller from one of my favourite urban fantasy writers. Thoroughly entertaining from start to finish. Looking forward to reading book 2, don't know why I never got round to continuing the series first time I read this!
Jai
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because of the smart heroine. Nadia Stafford has to be, she's a hitman. People just don't last long in that business without brains. Either you get caught or you get killed. Nadia, or "Dee" (as she is called by other assassins who don't know her real name), was once a cop, born into a family of cops. After a traumatic childhood event, all it took for Nadia to take things into her own hands was one criminal scumbag who had hurt a young girl. Clearly she has issues brimming under ...more
K.
[Reread 09/05/16: Still excellent.]

This is a story of a hitwoman who is hired by a hitman to join a group of hitmen to track down and eliminate a serial killer who is also a hitman-gone-mad. Got it? Great.

Knowing what I do of Armstrong's other series (romance-heavy), I was not expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. Nadia is my favorite type of heroine - she's smart and tough and has her own moral code based on personal experience, rather than a naive understanding of the world. She's a former
Katie
Audiobook Re-Read August 2017

Re-read June 2016

This was such a lovely re-read. I guess I am in a bit of a book slump, but this hit the spot.

Original Review

Ahhh, finally plunging into my last Kelley Armstrong series (well, not counting unpublished books!). This is set in the real world and just that was enough to make it feel like a very different kind of book for Armstrong. (Or maybe that was just me being overly conscious of that.)

(Hey, my boss just called me a winner. Writing reviews, working,
I LOVE this series and can't wait for book 3. The dynamic between Nadia and Jack is so amazing! I look forward to the day one of them finally has the courage to tell the other how they feel!

Stella
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, 2010
I'm a HUGE fan of Armstrong's Otherworld series, and of Kelley Armstrong herself, as I find she is an amazing, top notch, extraordinary author. Her descriptive, detailed and very evocative writing style is a joy to read, the readers feel as if they were in the middle of the story, seeing everything unfold in front of their eyes as in a movie. So the question wasn't whether I would read her not paranormal novels but when I would get around to read them. I gobbled up the first in the series (Exit ...more
Apr 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Exit Strategy is an intriguing beginning to unique series. Nadia, a hitwoman, gets a visit from her mentor, Jack. A hitman has become a serial killer and it has the possibility of shining too much light on their profession. Nadia and Jack team up with a crew of other hitmen to find the rogue and put a stop to his killing spree.

I loved getting to know Nadia. Her life before becoming an assassin and her motivation for doing what she does is strangely endearing. What I enjoyed most about the story
Carolyn Crane
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Kelley Armstrong wrote one of my favorite books, Bitten. She’s fantastic writer and this is a sleeper series that definitely deserves more attention. I love the world of Nadia Stafford, and the interesting and meaty moral situations presented here.

While Exit Strategy is a definite deviation for her – no magic, very vague-to-no romance, it has all the Armstrong hallmarks--tight plotting, great details and well-drawn characters, right down to their speech patterns.

And it was deliciously psycholog
Hallie
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the idea of professional hit woman (women and one man, actually) going after a rogue killer, and this would have been rated higher if Jack's speech pattern hadn't been quite so irritating. Like nails on chalkboard irritating - not saying much doesn't mean you have to omit every single pronoun from every single (short) sentence. I also didn't quite buy Nadia's justifications for the jobs she took, as there were glaring logical errors in her defence of working for a Mob family. But mostly th ...more
Raimey Gallant
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the cross-border intrigue aspect of this story, as well as the brief glimpses into the POVs of the antagonist as well as his victims. Also, the characterization is great, especially for Jack.
Charlene
Not sure how to rate this book; the main characters are not heroic at all.
IMHO, this was a cliffhanger end, especially since I did not realize it was the first in a series.
Now I have to decide whether I want to know how things end enough to trudge through more books with these characters....
Gina
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is what could be the first in a series... and I loved it!

Nadia is a character all in herself. Her thoughts, her feelings, everything she sees - as the reader, you see. The way Armstrong incorporated Nadia's past into the novel was excellent. Not all right at the beginning, and you keep flipping pages, not only to see what happens next, but to find out more about Nadia and understand why she is the way she is.

Jack - there's a man I'd like to get to know. And I have a feeling that Nadia will
Mary JL
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any mystery or action fan
Recommended to Mary JL by: I received the book as a gift
Shelves: mystery-horror
This was very fast paced and excing. Starts out with two murders in the first 20 parges and keeps going.

Usually I prefer heroes to anti-heroes, and Nadia is a hitwoman. Nevertheless, the story pulled me in and I fou8nd it compelling reading. The flashbacks we get of Nadia's traumatic past make her a more sympathetic character, despite her occupation.

Therer is also a great deal of suspernse--when your partners are fellow hitmen, it is hard to know who to trust. Add public panic, the media frenzy
Kristin Brakebill
Jack talk like caveman. Pronouns bad. Complete sentences bad. Drove me crazy. Bit much, even for character development. We get it, Kelley; the strong silent type. Man of few words. You don't have to club us in the head with it, however.

Mildly enjoyable read, if you can stand a main character speaking the whole time like he's an idiot. Nadia is a bit of a ding bat airhead herself. I don't know how she hasn't gotten herself killed in "the business" considering how careless she is.

I love reading bo
Karissa
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the only Armstrong series I haven’t read, the Nadia Stafford series. There are three books in this series. I really enjoyed this book a lot. It provided an excellent mystery and intriguing characters. Previous to reading this series I have read all of Armstrong’s other series; my least favorite of her series were the Women of the Otherworld series (only read the first three books) and her Blackwell Pages series (only read the first book). I have pretty much adored every ...more
Linda
3 1/2 stars.
What a ride this book was. Right off the mark you were held and always the question was, what happens next.

Nadia owns a B & B hunting lodge place just north of Peterborough Ontario, and is a former police officer. Something happened in her past that initiated her retirement from the force and she is now enjoying her business and living in the wilderness.

She is a highly skilled and trained in the pursuit of the very worst type of criminals so it was probably in the cards that she
Minna
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been wanting to read this for a long time, but never got to it. So, was is worth the wait? Um, kinda.

I've been reading Armstrong's paranormal romances and the feeling and style is very different. More low-key and slower. I had to take a few breaks from it, but I'm glad I finished it. The books are not bad but they were not what I expected. Maybe the pro killer angle is a bit hard for me to swallow even though I'm an avid afficionado of true crime. Maybe it's hard to see assassins as the goo
Julija
The sad thing is, I really did love some parts of Exit Strategy. Specifically, The Chase. And even some of the characters. Despite the fact that the heroine did have a few moments of obliviousness so severe it was painful.

But the pacing was just sooooooooo slow. And I get why there isn't much action, I do. And, indeed, all those makeovers were genuinely fun. But at the same time, it just dragged. And dragged. And dragged some more. Plus the ending just wasn't satisfactory. At all.

All in all, a
Lucy
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting enough. Nothing special and with a pretty abrupt ending
K~Terror
Rating: 3.5
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
Points for being about a hit-woman. More points for having a really cool female "M" type character too. Nul points for a very dry style and too many people to keep track of. The series gets slightly more involving as it becomes clear that a key event in Dee's life might not have played out just as she remembers it, but you have to wait for book 3 to feel really caught up in this.

• A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead (Otherworld Stories #10.1)
  • Dying for It: Tales of Sex and Death
  • The Bitten Word
  • Dates from Hell
  • Sacred Ground (Rogue Angel, #23)
  • Campus Chills
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • By Blood We Live
  • Beneath a Rising Moon (Ripple Creek Werewolf, #1)
  • No Control (Delta Force #2)
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3)
  • Basilisk (The Korsak Brothers #2)
  • Night Life (Nocturne City, #1)
  • Touch of Madness (Thrall #2)
  • In the Blood (The Maker's Song, #2)
  • Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)

Nadia Stafford (3 books)
  • Made to Be Broken (Nadia Stafford, #2)
  • Wild Justice (Nadia Stafford, #3)
“Tell me half a cup’s worth of story and we’ll call it a night.” 2 likes