Start by marking “Speed Reading” as Want to Read:
Speed Reading

Speed Reading

From the bestselling author of The Mind Map Book and Use Both Sides of Your Brain, dramatically increase your reading speed, comprehension, and retentionTony Buzan, world-famous expert in the field of the brain and the inventor of Mind Mapping, has gained international recognition with the methods outlined in Speed Reading. While it contains the traditional information on ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 192 pages
Published January 30th 1991 by Plume Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Speed Reading, please sign up.
Leslie Jeanne i once enrolled in a speed reading course, and yes, it's achievable. my highest was 8,250 words per minute. the top of our class had 16,000+. the only…morei once enrolled in a speed reading course, and yes, it's achievable. my highest was 8,250 words per minute. the top of our class had 16,000+. the only problem is that comprehension might not be as great.(less)

Heidi The Reader
I did not speed read Tony Buzan's The Speed Reading Book because I found it to be rather a slog. There is useful information in here about the physical capabilities of your eyes and brain, methods for training your eyes how to move, the benefits of improving your vocabulary, how to recognize patterns in the way paragraphs are structured, and the basics of logic.

However, it's interspersed with information that I felt was better presented in Use Your Head.

"Quite apart from important improvements i
Science (Fiction) Comedy Horror and Fantasy Geek/Nerd
A grandiose opportunity to significantly expand your reading skills including reading comprehension

Please note that I put the original German text at the end of this review. Just if you might be interested.

This book, published for the first time in 1971 in the English original, represents the laying of the foundation stone of a technique whose utility for contemporaries inclined to literature is hard to gauge.
Buzan leads through the different techniques of quick reading, tries to increase motiva
Tomas Libas
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better books on speed reading I have read.

B) The message: There's a more efficient way of learning - you can learn by engaging in your brain fully and using it's full potential; the old way is not "the high way" when it comes to learning.
C) Some cool ideas:
1. Your pupil size increases when you're reading what you like and that lets you take in more data.
2. Sitting up straight is a must, when you're reading, because it increases the flow of oxygen and blood in your body, let's the elec
Mohammed Almahfoudh
I read the Arabic ediion of this book because it is the only edition available in my university library (KFUPM Main Library). This book is one of a series of books on mind, memory, reading skills. When you first read the introductory part of this book, you'll that you are reading one of the weight loss ads on TV that usually exaggerate the real benifits of the their service or method. Don't judge too quickly , start reading and applying what you read and you'll be amazed of your results. Of cour ...more
Rami Saber
Actually the book has some important concepts, and many thanks to Buzan for his insights on human skills.

But overall I do not like the way some books are written where the content of the book can be delivered in 10 pages, but rather it is written in around 300 pages.

For speed reading I recommend the The Free Speed Reading Course youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q25Uqa...

It will cover the topic without the spices added in Buzan's book which, unlike spices, doesn't add taste nor smell
Nash
Aug 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Shelves: already-read
Before I had my first experience in mindfulness meditation, I was crazy about mind developing in another way already. You can call it a worldly aspect of it. I was very much into books about brain development, memory enhancement and stuff. Not that it worked for me! I have noticed, especially after my numerous retreats, that my brain does decline with age. But at least I'm trying! Well, this book is from my pre-meditation day, and now and then I still pick it up to read for fun, and I use it to ...more
Basim Mahmoud

I bought this book 5 years ago, but, finished it with no effort these days.

We can summarize the idea of most books concerned with the speed of reading or the fast reading;

-Get the motivation
-Increase your speed and practice as much as you can on each level you get- you can borrow the techniques of the athletes' heroes.
-Make reading a daily habit.
-The more you practice the more you master.

but,

the most remarkable aspect is; this book was first published in 1971; which means that surely it was a
Maen
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to double or triple your reading speed.. but I am not sure if more is possible..
Daniel Taylor
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the 2016 Toastmasters International Convention, Tony Buzan was presented with the Golden Gavel to recognise his achievements in the study of the mind. If you want to learn how to read fast, few people can teach you as well as he can. People wonder how I read as many books as I do... the earlier edition of the book taught me the elemental principles of my speed reading system. Everyone professional needs to read to stay indispensable in their company and this book will help you read faster and ...more
Yassmeen Madwar
An interesting and helpful book, gives you the major rules for speed reading with the benefit of a good deal of historic and modern information.
Mr Shahabi
Dec 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pre-
In-
Th-
Ge-

What a shitty book... Such a shitty approach..

Man..
Shit.
Sean O'Reilly
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!

It must have been around 5 years ago, maybe more that I became interested in Tony Buzan's Mind-Mapping technique which, at the time, was rather fashionable in the field of primary school teaching. It must have been at about that time that I saw this book on the For Sale shelf of my local library.

I read the whole bookbefore working through it properly and doing the exercises. The theory is quite convincing in it's
Mehdi
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I'm going to have to read again and again just so that I can go through and finish all the exercises assigned in it, but I hope it's well worth it. I'm finding that I am reading faster just through finger tracing, so hopefully the rest of the advice in the book will also lead to further improvement (so far, though, the peripheral vision exercise just made me dizzy and frustrated...). I particularly liked in his conclusion that he mentioned how the future of schooling and education ...more
Brittany
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I like all of Tony Buzan's books, including this one. I greatly increased my reading speed within the first few chapters. However, by the middle of the book my speed came to a plateau. Therefore, I didn't finish the last few chapters. Never the less, I would suggest this book for anyone who does a lot of reading for leisure, work or school. I use these speed reading techniques quite often.
Bighomer
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a decent read. It has good, interesting information on speed reading. Hence, I can recommend it. However, I want to mention two caveats:
First, virtually all you learn in this book is available for free on the internet. The methods will be the same (although here you have them all presented very nicely).
Second, reading this book won't exactly improve your reading speed (actually it will, but only because people don't try to read fast by default). Actually reaching those fabled speed
Ahmadreza Abbaslou
when i saw this book, i thought although this book is like other guidelines for speed reading. but by continuing the content of book, i found it really different out of other books. the step by step teaching, quizzes, being evidence based and ....
before this book, my reading speed was about 200 words per minute but immediately after finishing this book, i reach to speed 700 wpm. and now according to what Tony Buzan said in this book, I'm doing my best to reach at least 1000 wpm!!!
i advice this b
Eugene Kok
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fact blew me away: You don't need to read slowly to have comprehension.
You can read as fast as 1000wpm and still have as much comprehension as those who read 350wpm. So far the world record holder who has read Harry Potter Deathly Hallow, read under 1 hour. She read at break neck speed of 4251, My reading barrier has been shattered and my vision has been broaden. Amen.
bobroxxu
May 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book. After reading and practicing it, I increased my reading speed by a factor of about four. My comprehension also increased significantly.
Reading this book actually saves you time and allows you to enjoy life with more confidence.
Ed van der Winden
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always been an avid reader. by nature I have also always been a rather slow reader. Surprisingly, all claims in this book turn out to be true. However, it takes practice and perseverance.
Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm)
This has been good to read through and have learnt some great techniques that I feel actually have improved my reading speed... HURRAY! :)
Roman
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interest book about fast reading methods
ناديا
I may change the score when i feel i got the benefits from :) the book is great providing you step by step all needed practises .. It is up to me to get the best of it ... I will start ...
Zlatko
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite decent in explaining "how" to do speed reading if you're inclined to do so.
However this whole speed reading philosophy, is IMO, unneccessary, perhaps even too capitalistic/productivity oriented, or should I say, plain wrong.

Reading is one of the rare true, authentic pleasures that a human can enjoy... our thought processes are valuable, and there's no need to rush with thinking, whether the thoughts are your own, or absorbed from a page.

Read at your own, natural pace, don't w
Atiqah
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you love results? I do too, especially when I can see it with numbers. That’s all I’m expecting out of this book. And I got it.

The exercises force you to engage. I discovered that my normal reading speed (complete with inevitable distractions that comes with caring for a toddler) is 207 words per minute with 67% comprehension. What does this mean? Apparently, I’m super average = super boring. I discovered that common reading habits like back-skipping (returning my eyes to words that have just
Thomas
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone that is willing to put effort into reading
This book serves a good general overview of the topic sourrounding speed-reading and debunkes many misconceptions I was told about reading for example the famous rule "read slowly to understand" which the author exposes to be utterly wrong as text comprehension raises with increasing speed (to some extent). Yet Tony Buzan claims that anyone putting in enough effort will be able to read at 1000 WPM with nearly perfect comprehension which seems utterly unrealistic (I managed around 800 WPM with 70 ...more
Ái Quỳnh
I have practiced with this book for over 1 year and a half. My reading skill is really improved from 200 wpm to nearly 1500 wpm and reading comprehension still remain 70-80%. At first, I didn't believe in any self-help books that did change any my brain abilities; however, I think that I don't have anything to lose so try at least 1 time patiently does not cost myself anything but a little time.
Fortunately, it works well until now. I enjoy reading more at this "amazing" speed with helping me rea
Shaoola
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned new fascinating facts about our brains and eyes that once known to us can make us utilize them more effectively, expand our knowledge and sharpen our skills through practical exercises.
Remember to keep practicing even after finishing this valuable read.
Zahraa Mahdi
A good book for those who want to increase their reading speed. It continues some self-test as well as some tips and tricks to increase your reading speed. For me, I could indeed increase my reading speed by approximately 50 WPM. However, as the number of words increased my comprehension decreased.
Jack
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for students and book worms who wish to retain information and read through books faster!
The_boy_who_is_booked
This book has a lot of amazing activities and self tasks which will definitely improve your speed of reading than the one you had before. IMPROVEMENT GUARANTEED!!!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• كيف تتقن فن القراءة السريعة
  • القراءة الذكية
  • The Mind Gym: Wake Your Mind Up (The Mind Gym)
  • القراءة السريعة
  • قوة التركيز للمرأة: كيف تعيشين الحياة التي ترغبين فيها حقاً
  • Einstein P
  • اعمل بذكاء مع القراءة السريعة
  • de Bono's Thinking Course
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • How to Invest $50-$5,000: The Small Investor's Step-By-Step Plan for Low-Risk, High-Value Investing
  • Huh ?!: de techniek van het omdenken
Tony Buzan was an author and educational consultant. He was a proponent of the techniques of Mind Mapping and mental literacy. He worked with: corporate entities and businesses all over the world; academics; Olympic athletes; children of all ages; governments; and high profile individuals, in teaching them how to maximize the use of their brain power.

Buzan was born in London, was an alumnus of Kit
“Definition is the companion of clarity; clarity is the guide to your goals.” 6 likes