Start by marking “The Mayflower Project (Remnants, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mayflower Project (Remnants, #1)

The Mayflower Project

(Remnants #1)

Official Summary:
The end of the world. Not something most people think about. Not something we even expect to ever really happen. But what if you found out an asteroid the size of New Jersey were about to collide with the earth? What would you do? It's the year 2011, and that's the question Jobs is asking himself. The question he asked his family. He certainly didn't expec
Published July 1st 2001 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Mayflower Project, please sign up.
Emily
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kay
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the mayan calendar
I've always been a huge fan of Katherine Applegate's Animorphs and Everworld series, and enjoyed every re-reading. It never occurred to me until recently to pick up Remnants, partly because no fan of Applegate ever talked about the series.

After reading the first book, I think I know why.

Plot Summary

The world is ending. Not because of a nuclear meltdown or global warming, which is presumably under our own control, but for cataclysmic events out of our control.

Namely...

Hopelessly underprepared
N.T. Embe
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-fi, Dystopian, Thriller, Suspense lovers and more.
Recommended to N.T. by: My Sister, Michelle

Holy this is not a book for kids.

This book may be under two hundred pages in length but it is intense in a way very few books I've read have ever been. It's still got my heart racing a little bit to be honest. My heart is RACING! Holy crap! Do you know how odd it is that a book would thrill me this much?! And this is a middle-grade or young-adult book? THIS is a book for young teens?! This book is INSANE! In the best, most gripping, suspenseful, thrilling, horrifying, amazing, disgusting, shocki
Feb 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nostalgia
Why am I rereading books for teens/young adults? Call it nostalgia - I think I'm trying to recreate the joy I felt as a kid when I read books for fun. Maybe it'll help me get over the automatic lethargy I experience when picking up a book to read nowadays.

Anyways, I picked this book up again primarily to revist K.A. Applegate's vision of the year 2010-2011, and whether her vision from 2001 of the future would match up to today. To her credit, she basically took some of the newer technologies an
M Suzanne
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids 12 and older
I realize this a series for older children...early teens? maybe. But i found this book in with a whole set of Animorph books i bought for one of my adopted Grandsons. I found the books at our local Salvation Army store. Now i am hooked! Remnants is packed with good story telling and truly makes you want to keep reading the story. Sigh! i am now searching the used book stores for these books. There are 14 in the series. It starts out with a group of people leaving earth....how does she tell this ...more
Mike
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really hope the rest of the series holds up better than this book does, because this was awful. This was utterly pointless; you could compress this into a prologue for the next book of the series and lose nothing of value. It just introduces the characters one by one; little more happens in this book. It does a terrible job of setting the tone for the rest of the series (which is weird as hell, and dark in a more interesting way), and it's boring. This is a textbook example of the kind of lazy ...more
Summer
Mar 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I think this book tried to do too much in too little pages. It had to set up a scenario, a world lore, and characters.... and it failed at all of it. Everything is just bland and boring.
Thistle
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's rare when it happens, but it's the greatest thing when I fall in love with a book from the very first words -- when I know from the very start that this will be one of the best ever books that I've read. That's how I wanted to start this post, but it bugged me that that wasn't quite true. While I loved the story from the very first words of it, there was a puzzling forward that I scratched my head over before falling head over heels in love with the story itself.

The plot was about the world
Julie
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
My memories of Remnants are the haziest of all my KAA Rereads -- in part because I never actually finished the series -- so this one I'm practically approaching as a fresh reader! Admittedly this book is necessarily very different from later ones in the series, because there's a lot of setup necessary; they need to introduce all of the big ensemble cast, establish them, and then get them onto the Mayflower and off Earth.

The premise reminds me so much of the movie 2012 or the TV show The 100; thi
Caitlin
Goodness but this series starts off with a gut punch. This is my second read of Remnants--I first read and mostly enjoyed the series when I was a wee high schooler, so I've forgotten a lot--but, like KA's other series, there are a lot of indelible moments in this one.

A sampling from book one (no spoilers): Cordelia in San Francisco. Lord, this scene wrecked me the first time I read it. This time around, I'd forgotten what happens, but at the first mention of her name I went bolt upright and cur
4willauer C
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book "Remnants" by K. A. Applegate is a thrilling science fiction novel. The main character, Jobs, is a teenage boy who is one of eighty selected to leave Earth when a asteroid threatens to strike and possibly destroy the world. Jobs tells Mo, his best friend, "there's an asteroid that is going to hit earth. I don't want to ruin your day, but it kind of looks like the world is going to end" (19). Mo's response is very calm about this information but later in the book as their fears become a ...more
Kyla
Apr 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Edited: 23, February 2017

I remember that this book had some humor in it, so that is why I gave it 2 stars the last time. But as the years have passed, I don't remember a damn thing about this very very short book, and so after seeing it again, I had to fix that. All I know for a fact was that I don't know how I even finished this "book" it was so lagging in the story and very childish. Sure, there were parts that I laughed out loud about, but I have no idea what I just read. Really.

So, I give i
Aaron Burke
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Haruki
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is such a thrilling book! I love it 100%! It was hard for me to ever put this book down but now I've finally finished it. I highly recommend it to those who like suspense and action. You'll get so into it once you want to find out what happens to the earth when the asteroid comes and certain characters as well.
Matt Mazenauer
Jul 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Better than her previous series, Animorphs, this is a solid sci-fi intro to a new world. Modern, believable protagonists are thrown into an interesting situation, and I enjoy her vision of the world in 10 years.
Stephanie
  First off, I guess having a person on the cover with a tube sticking out of their mouth is not nearly as visually palatable as two tubes coming out of the head…

That aside, The Mayflower Project is mostly setting up the Remnants series, putting down all of our different players and setting them up for the rest of the series. Jobs, the programming whiz kid and probably leader-type; Mo’Steel, the reckless adventurer; 2Face, the girl with the face showing the uncertainty of life; Yago, the power
Moxie
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I decided to read this after rereading all of Animorphs. I had already read Everworld, and I wanted more of K. A. Applegate's writing without rereading that (because it was Rough).

The whole series is... decidedly less interesting than Animorphs. The characters in it feel pretty same-y, even after fourteen whole books. The ones I found most interesting or thought had the most potential either died quickly or were skimmed over. The others all felt like, if they had distinguishable personalities,
Emilie B
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Spoilers!

I had heard of these book series years ago when I was still a teenager. Back then I was too scared to read them. I myself hate and gets really scared by disaster movies so this book reminded me too much of Armageddon. I recently got interested in apocalyptic dystopias in the YA section, so I decided to give this a try. It was quite depressing. We are introduced to the characters so fast and it is established that the year is 2011. It’s funny considering that this book was published in 2
Dee
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Remnants, the least-discussed of the Applegrant projects—I remember, fifteen years ago, reading most of this first book, seeing the others at the library, and never actually getting around to checking them out.

Not a whole lot happens in this first book. Some characters get introduced, and then we get to watch as the planet Earth is destroyed and everyone on it dies. (I suppose that's technically a spoiler, but no one reading this should be surprised. If I'm remembering correctly, the last Animor
Mary
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Didn’t start off quite as exciting as the Animorphs series, but I was furiously turning pages by the last couple chapters. I’m already attached to a few of the characters, so I may have to try and find the rest of the series. Nice and short, obviously, since it’s a kids book. But it definitely deals with a bit of heavy subject matter, and doesn’t skim it much, so it wasn’t as ‘young’ as I might’ve thought.
NAK Baldron
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I can remember reading this book for the first time as a child and thinking there was nothing cooler. Upon rereading, I'm not sure the book holds up to my childhood memories, but it's still an imaginative story told adequately.
Robert
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This was a good start, but only a start. It really doesn't give much about what the rest of the series is going to be. I would suggest reading the this book and the second book at the same time if it's your first time through.

More reviews at ReadingOverTheShoulder.com
Douglaseng04
Dec 15, 2009 rated it liked it
David Upshall 205 English class
Did you find that the book fulfilled your expectations? Where you disappointed?
The book definatly fulfilled my expectations I thought the book was amazing, i saw the cover and was automatically interested. I was disappointed by the ending, because it ended so abruptly. I thought it was going to end dramatically like the rest of the book.
Did you enjoy the book? Why? Why not?
Yes. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it because it was different. It wasn’t like other book where i
Tanja
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A huge asteroid is coming towards the Earth and there’s no way to stop it. For most people, there’s also no way to escape. Only 80 people can leave the Earth before impact. They will leave in a space shuttle using untested technology and they’ll spend the trip in hibernation. Their only hope is finding a new planet to live on. But what are the chances of that happening?

I've seen a couple of movies where an asteroid is about to hit the Earth but in the last moment somebody does something that sav
Sachairi
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
So when I'm choosing a book to read, I have to be honest, I get the book that has a cover that attracts me. The cover for this isn't the worst, but it's not something I'd normally go for. I gave this book a chance because K.A. Applegate and I had loved her Animorphs series.I'm glad I did.

The font type and spacing made this extremely easy to read but I found the broken sentences distracting. The POV changes a lot and I can see what the author was trying to do but I found that the voices blended t
Abarbaree
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Something to think about.
Catherine
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This one messed with my head.
It’s supposed to be for younger readers, 9-12 years, but the tone is more than I think I could have handled at nine years old.
First published in 2001, the Remnants series is set a few years in the future. The world is about to be destroyed by a huge meteorite impact, and humanity has no way to survive. As a last ditch to stop our species from dying out, 80 people are chosen to board the Mayflower – a ramshackle space shuttle fitted with deep sleep capsules – and are
Wendy
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up the first 4 books in this series because I absolutely loved Applegate's Everworld series. So I thought I would try this one as well. I love sci-fi and like to read 'end of the world' books so this sounded right up my alley. I decided to go ahead and start the series even though I only have the first 4 and there are a total of 14, because my dd read this book and said that she did not care for it.

I am currently on #4 and all I can say is 'Waaahhhhaaaa!! I don't have anymore of the ser
Julie Decker
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
In a futuristic world only a generation away from when the book was written, Internet culture has led to people being able to choose their own names and stay interconnected constantly, though some people deliberately withdraw and celebrate the past in their counterculture. Jobs is a teen whose parents are in the aerospace industry, and his best friend Mo'Steel is a thrill-seeking goofball but they get along. Then one day they find out they're all gonna die. Because an asteroid is on a collision ...more
Jahari
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The end of the world is approaching and only a set number of people are going to be picked to leave and survive. That is the mayflower project
Shell Hunt
Can this book really be classified as YF?
The Mayflower Project is a short story about several different characters and their journeys to get off Earth before a big asteroid destroys the planet.
The book surprised me as a YF, the ideas and sub-plots are super dark. Some very sad issues are touched on that are probably more fact-filled than the average person wants to admit, bureaucracies and life-preservation. I don't really know about recommending this to young YF, maybe after like 15 or someone
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Back to Before (Megamorphs, #4)
Katherine Applegate is the author of The One and Only Ivan, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel Crenshaw spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning Home of the Brave, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three picture

Remnants (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Destination Unknown (Remnants, #2)
  • Them (Remnants, #3)
  • Nowhere Land (Remnants, #4)
  • Mutation (Remnants, #5)
  • Breakdown (Remnants, #6)
  • Isolation (Remnants, #7)
  • Mother, May I? (Remnants, #8)
  • No Place Like Home (Remnants, #9)
  • Lost and Found (Remnants, #10)
  • Dream Storm (Remnants, #11)