Start by marking “Цветът на магията (Истории от Света на Диска, #1)” as Want to Read:
Цветът на магията (Истории от Света на Диска, #1)

Цветът на магията

(Discworld #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  318,869 ratings  ·  9,748 reviews
В плоския свят на Диска, носен на гърба на гигантска костенурка (от неизвестен пол), започва ужасно налудничаво пътешествие. Един алчен, но бездарен магьосник, наивен до кретенизъм турист, чийто Багаж тича със стотици малки крачета, дракони, които съществуват само ако вярвате в тях, и разбира се, РЪБЪТ на ДИСКА...
Mass Market Paperback, 2-ро издание, 300 pages
Published 2004 by Вузев (first published November 24th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Цветът на магията, please sign up.
Blue Yes and no, depends on the kid. It is not a book that was written for kids.

I think I read this in 5th or 6th grade. My brothers read it at a similar …more
Yes and no, depends on the kid. It is not a book that was written for kids.

I think I read this in 5th or 6th grade. My brothers read it at a similar age and both liked it. I enjoyed it as a kid and was eager to read the sequel. Rereading it as an adult though was almost like reading a whole different book. ;) (less)
Ekaterina Spitsyna I think you should look up recommended order to read the books, to know approximately where you are standing. (like this one: http://www.lspace.org/bo…moreI think you should look up recommended order to read the books, to know approximately where you are standing. (like this one: http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-o...)
And basically, you can read them in any order, as the author keeps reminding you of important, and not so important, details, and as the books are just brilliant enough by themselves.
Of course, it would be a bit harder to keep up with the timeline, and you won't be very surprised with the ending if you have already read the next book, but it won't ruin the impression or fun.(less)

·  318,869 ratings  ·  9,748 reviews

Start your review of Цветът на магията (Истории от Света на Диска, #1)
Mark Lawrence
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't reviewed this because I read it so long ago that all I can remember is I loved it.

I'll take our very old and battered copy (bought in 1987) to the hospice this weekend when I go with Celyn and see if I can't refresh my memory.

RIP, Sir Terry.

'DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING,' said Death, 'JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.'

So - to the review!

I've just read this in slightly over 24 hours ... which is extraordinary for me. I normally take a month to read a book.

It is, to be
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Reading The Color of Magic is akin to eating an entire bowl of ice cream just a little too fast...sure, it may cause your head to hurt at times, but the sweet rewards make it all worth it!

Filled with ambitious wizards and ruthless assassins, the city of Ankh-Morpork has survived many dangers in the past, but now it faces an even more destructive force...TOURISM!!! When a rich but bored outsider named Twoflower decides to explore the city in search for adventure, it soon becomes an adventure for
Mario the lone bookwolf (semi reviewing hiatus )
The Rincewind starts blowing up his ego in the first installment of the epic Discworld.

The establishment of one of the sub series of the Discworld, around Rincewind, sorcerers, and the Unseen University, deals with insurances, Hrun the barbarian, role playing games, living furniture, different fantasy stereotypes and their exaggerations, a tourist and the industry around sightseeing, space travel, and introduces some elemental parts of the Discworld.

How the strange humanities, fringe sciences, r
Brad
Before picking it up, I'd heard that The Colour of Magic was funny. Now that can mean just about anything because, let's face it, comedy is the most subjective of arts.

Funny is a deeply personal thing. The "funny peculiar" and the "funny ha-ha" might not be the same from person to person or even to the same person depending on their mood or their place in life. So knowing something is funny ahead of reading it really doesn't tell me much.

I'd read Terry Pratchett's & Neil Gaiman's Good Omens qu
Lyn
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so it begins …

Sir Terry Pratchett’s wildly imaginative Discworld series begins with the 1983 publication of The Color of Magic.

I have been reading science fiction and fantasy for a long time and somehow I managed to not read any of his works until I came in late to the party. A friend suggested I try one, I’d like it and so I read the fourth in the series, Mort and I thought so much that I decided I would climb the hill and enjoy every step.

Begin with a heaping portion of British humor (hum
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
4.5 stars ⭐️

I FINALLY started Discworld!!!! I buddy read with my wonderful friend CHOKO We had fun text message reading it. I loved this book and so did Choko! I have heard some don’t like this book that much but it was awesome for me. Looking forward to continuing!

Link to artist: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Z1RBX

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Lindsey Rey
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
I will officially be reading the entire Discworld series!
Markus
May 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
This must be the exception that proves the rule. For years I’ve been adamantly advocating reading series in publication order, whether a coherent story or a set of standalones. In Discworld, that simply doesn’t seem to be the best solution. Everyone seems to suggest that a new reader should not start with the first book, so this must be partially my fault for doing it anyway.

The Colour of Magic is at best a mediocre introduction to what is supposedly the best humourous fantasy series ever writte
Madeline
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gonna read these books in the order they were written and none of you nerds can stop me.
Adrian
Oh what fun, review to follow 😊😉

So here is my review. I first read this I'm guessing some time around 1990, and then went on to read the sequels as they were released,until sometime around the millennium, when for various reasons I moved house and lost around 5000 books 😱
Anyway I haven't read another Terry Pratchett Discworld novel since then. So when I was bought the first twenty in the series earlier this year I did a little mini dance (similar to the Floss ha ha) and looked forward to when I
Jamie
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure people have told me about Pratchett and his Diskworld series before, usually working in the phrase "He's the Douglas Adams of fantasy" into the description. But the problem was that I always felt that I had had enough of Adams after the third Hithiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, and whenever I scanned Pratchett's section in the bookstore I was immediately put off by not knowing where to start reading among the approximately five hundred thousand Diskworld books. I'm glad I finall ...more
J.G. Keely
Oct 28, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series is much beloved of my friends, both here on Goodreads and out in the wilds of meatspace--he's even been referred to as Fantasy's answer to one of my favorite authors: the superlatively funny and insightful Douglas Adams. As such, I was excited to start the series at the beginning, hoping the wit and wisdom would overcome the warts of this early outing. Unfortunately,the jokes drew more groans than guffaws, reminding me of Mark Twain's comments on the book of friend and fellow America ...more
Helen 2.0
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Helen 2.0 by: siobhan Quinlan
Terry Pratchett is a genius, as usual. This man can do no wrong. He reminds me a lot of Douglas Adams, my favorite in the realm of satire. Look at this similarity:
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
"Disc philosophers agree that the First Men, shortly after their creation, understandably lost their temper." - Terry Pratchett, The Color of Magic

The Co
Bradley
If I hadn't already read the entire series, and if I was judging this book just by its own merits, I'd still be saying that it harnesses the lightning and even finds a way to make it go side to side rather than up and down.

It's really fantastic as a straight fantasy with tons of humorous elements, with a good deal more worldbuilding than all the later books, more obvious and harsher tongue-in-cheek elements, and a great setup for the Great Wizzard Rincewind.

Honestly? I love Rincewind. I love the
Hamad
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, 2019-reads
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“I’ve seen excitement, and I’ve seen boredom. And boredom was best.”

description

★ I was excited to read this book and to discover Practhett’s writing, I had read Good Omens, or attempted to read it but ended up DNFing it. I wanted to see the highly acclaimed Discworld and if it was any better!

★ It was better, but not like much better. But at least I could finish the book and that’s something! I think the mix between humor and fantasy is weird but it c
PattyMacDotComma
“That’s what’s so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know. You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you’re so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can’t remember what comes next.”

Poor Rincewind. Incidentally, his name rhymes with “since grinned”, and I’ve read that in a later book, it says an ancestor was a Rinser of Winds. Whatever his background, he’s missing some skills. He’s a wizard
Anne
It had some funny moments, but I really struggled to get through it. In all fairness to the people who suggested I read the Discworld series, this is not one of the ones they said I should start with. I think I mostly had a hard time slogging through all of the world-building and made up words. Fantasy has never been my thing, because I'm not someone who enjoys reading descriptions of the characters surroundings. I'm not giving up on the series, though. I think I'll just go back through my book ...more
Fran
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
The Color of Magic is, in fact, four novella-length stories stitched together to create a novel-length book. But don't you worry, the book reads well as a whole without a jerking bump to stop the journey. I wouldn't have even noticed the stitching if I haven't known it was there.

As the story starts, Rincewind a disgraced wizard meets up with Twoflower an oblivious tourist and his rather menacing walking luggage (yes, with a luggage like Twoflower's you don't have to worry about carry your things
Lori
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, reviewed
No need for a full review since I'm late to the party. And what took me so long when my (second or third) copy of "Good Omens" looks a bit like the ones described in its foreword. Well, hello, Discworld. It's fun. It's fabulous. It's clever and intelligent and fantastical. Sci fi, mythology, humor, fantasy with a bit of stand-up. I'm thrilled that there are forty? forty-one? (apparently one is debatable?) more. I'd always planned to do the Witches books first but having read this I want to go fo ...more
Zitong Ren
This was honestly the weirdest thing I’ve ever read
Trish
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The very first Discworld novel. The one it all began with.

I've been a fan of Sir Terry's for a long time. I've even read a few other of his books (some standalone, some of the Fairy Tales or later volumes of this series) and loved them all.
Fans have given me two pieces of advice ever since I first heard of Discworld:
1) Stay away from the first 3 books!
2) Read them all! What are you, a savage?!

*lol* You can see how this made me undecided for the longest time.
Thus, I did what every self-respected
Kai
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
“It is at this point that normal language gives up, and goes and has a drink.”

I never really planned to read this until I met someone who loves the Discworld novels so much that I could no longer put them off. Also, this series has so many books that I will probably never be able to finish it, which kept me from reading it in the first place. Apart from the fact that they always seemed a bit too ridiculous to actually be good.
Now, I did catch myself laughing a few times and generally enjoying it
TL
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

A charming and sometimes tedious novel, Rincewind grew on me quickly and I enjoyed watching him get into and out of scrapes along the way. Death's and Fate's frustration with him was hilarious. I kept imagining them as toddlers stomping their feet :-D.

Two Flower I was so so on... sometimes he charmed me and others... eh. His optimism seemed misplaced sometimes, but he had good intentions.

A nice start to the series, plenty of action and some humor :) The scenes with Krull and near the edge of th
Amanda
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh, blog
Meh. It just didn't do it for me. Unfortunately, this book has been recommended to me so many times by well-meaning friends who know my love of absurd British humor that it couldn't possibly live up to the hype. It suffers from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy syndrome. For years, everyone I knew--friends, family, students, co-workers--would ask me if I had read Hitchhiker's and their mouths would drop when I admitted no, I hadn't . . . yet. Their response was always the same, "Oh, but you h ...more
Anuradha
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like satire. a lot.
Precisely why all the above (below, in this review, I guess) should be so is not clear, but goes some way to explain why, on the disc, the Gods are not so much worshipped as blamed.

Have you ever wondered about what would happen if you were merely a pawn in a game played by gods? Have you ever wondered about how living in a Flat-Earth would be? Would you like to learn about what failed wizards do in their free time? Are you curious about how dragons are born and how they rest? Do you want to
Phrynne
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book many years ago and I remember I fell in love with the Disc World as soon as I read the first few pages. I loved the idea of the turtle swimming through space and the elephants and the rim fall and the eighth colour in the spectrum called octarine. Twoflower and Rincewind were the first of many of Pratchett's characters I would meet who are so helpless and yet who blunder successfully through mishap after mishap. And as for the Luggage! That has to be one of the best invent ...more
Becky
I dunno if this is going to be a proper 'review' (heh, as though any of the things that I write in this space are...), it'll likely just be a bunch of randomness and ranting. So, like my usual offerings.

I read Amanda's review (This'un.) and I'm all like "Yep." This is one of those books/series that people love and it makes me want to love it and then I set crazy goals for myself, like reading them... all... in a year... just maybe not this one... and then when the first one ends up NOT being the
Sophie Crane
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the very first Discworld novel from the much missed Sir Terry Pratchett.
It is quite different in tone to the rest of the Discworld novels (with the exception of its direct sequel, The Light Fantastic), but is still an excellent introduction to the franchise.
Ethan
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was the King Colour, of which all the lesser colours are merely partial and wishy-washy reflections. It was octarine, the colour of magic. It was alive and glowing and vibrant and it was the undisputed pigment of the imagination, because wherever it appeared it was a sign that mere matter was a servant of the powers of the magical mind. It was enchantment itself.
But Rincewind always thought it looked a sort of greenish-purple.

A few weeks ago, I found myself in probably the worst reading slump
William
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is my first Discworld book, after decades of procrastinating, and what fun it was! I was a bit concerned the books might be to silly, or possibly directed at a younger audience, but that was not my impression at all. I was laughing all the way through this book, and also very impressed with the fantasy elements! I would compare the humor to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which is one of my favorite movies. I'd recommend The Color of Magic to anyone, as it's just a very enjoyable read. Mov ...more
Book Club: The Colour of Magic 1 2 Nov 11, 2020 02:52AM
/lit/ posting: Discworld 9 10 Sep 02, 2020 03:40PM
2020 & 2021 Readi...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Color of Magic (Discworld #1) 27 60 Nov 02, 2019 04:09PM

• The Octunnumi Fosbit Files Prologue
  • First Encounter
  • Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)
  • The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)
  • The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1-5)
  • Rivers of London (Rivers of London, #1)
  • A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • Glass World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 13)
  • Artemis
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Guards! Guards!: The Play
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Monstrous Regiment
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • Unseen Academicals: Adapted for the Stage

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Dragons, demons, kings, queens, and the occasional farm boy (with a special destiny, of course): Fantasy literature has it all! To celebrate...
“If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards!” 1184 likes
“No, what he didn't like about heroes was that they were usually suicidally gloomy when sober and homicidally insane when drunk.” 381 likes