Start by marking “Robots and Empire (Robot, #4)” as Want to Read:
Robots and Empire (Robot, #4)

Robots and Empire

(Robot, chronological order #6)

Long after his humiliating defeat at the hands of Earthman Elijah Baley, Keldon Amadiro embarked on a plan to destroy planet Earth. But even after his death, Baley's vision continued to guide his robot partner, R. Daneel Olivaw, who had the wisdom of a great man behind him and an indestructable will to win.... ...more
Published 1996 by Voyager (first published August 20th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Robots and Empire, please sign up.
Sina Homayooni You 'can' but I don't recommend it. The story line continues from previous books. I recommend starting from "Caves of Steel".…moreYou 'can' but I don't recommend it. The story line continues from previous books. I recommend starting from "Caves of Steel".(less)

Start your review of Robots and Empire (Robot, #4)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Robots and Empire (Robot #4), Isaac Asimov

The Earthman Elijah Baley (the detective hero of the previous Robot books) has died nearly two centuries earlier. During these two centuries, Earth-people have overcome their agoraphobia and resumed space colonization, using faster-than-light drive to reach distant planets beyond the earlier "Spacer" worlds.

Adrian
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book I’ve finished on this holiday and the second I’ve borrowed from the “library” in these fabulous apartments.
The fact that I actually have it at home is neither here nor there, I fancied reading it and like, there it was sandwiched between 2 gooey romances, about the only sf book in the shelves. So in between swims, walks and food (yum) I have finished a second book over 400 pages (Origin being the first).
Those who read my reviews, (are there any of you ??), will know that
Davyne DeSye
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sigh. Love this book. It’s always bittersweet for me to read since it is the last of the four Robot novels, and I will miss the characters (until my next reading in a couple of years!). (As usual, this book can be read as a standalone book without having to read the previous books in the series.)

This story, again, features Elijah Baley, the hard-boiled detective from Earth (although in a surprising way – no spoiler here!), and his robot partner, Daneel Olivaw. We also still have Gladia who has b
Baba
Mar 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, asimov-verse
Robot series, book #4 - Two centuries have passed and the tensions between the Spacers and the Earth continue as the Settlers have, and are, colonising numerous planets. Focusing on the long-lived 'Spacer' and robot characters from the previous books, Asimov focused on the next significant steps for mankind's growth and reach for the stars, and the hurdles that needed to be overcome to reach them.

Despite being written over 30 years after the first novel in the series Asimov manages to hold true
~`☆ isabel ˙ᵕ˙
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All I have to say is that I love Daneel very much.
Stephen
4.0 stars. While listed as the last of the Robot series, this is probably better discribed as the bridge novel between the Robot novels and the Foundation series. In it we see the beginnings of how the Galactic Empire got started and why there are no Robots in the distant future of the Foundation novels (except of course for R. Daneel Olivaw) who becomes the only central character to appear in both series.

In addition to being a pivotal novel in the Robot/Foundation series, it is also top space o
Hassan Chaudhri
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
It should be noted that I am a long-standing Asimov fan, so my opinion is perhaps not entirely objective. Having said that, Robots and Empire stands out to me as one of his top works. It serves to bridge his Empire/Foundation and Robots series; this is a dangerous venture, because there is always the risk of fouling one or both stories in the process. Asimov handles it admirably though, in a way that gives a satisfactory conclusion to the Elijah Baley story, and sets the scene for the way into t ...more
Patrick
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, classics
What an adventure! I can't believe the Robot series is over. This was a very bitter sweet book for many reasons. Not only is it the ending of a series, but many things happened I didn't expect. I loved Baley, Daneel and Giskard and it just wasn't the same without detective Elijah Baley. When I heard that he died in the first chapter I immediately knew this was going to be a long trek to the end. I was happy Daneel was still alive but it wasn't the same without the two together. Overall, it was a ...more
Josh
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Like every other Asimov book, a snappy, fantastic read full of crisp dialogue and an absorbing plot with elements of sci-fi and mystery. I will never get over his ability to craft books without a single dull moment despite the fact that 99% of the action is just people talking. They're either hashing out a logical argument or painstakingly explaining one of the few actual bits of action, and I will never get tired of it.

If you're new to Asimov, thank you for reading this review, but let me stop
Alina
The main focus (and also the most interesting part) is on the robots Daneel and Giskard and their debates on The Three Laws and the HUMANITY concept, giving them new and (un?)expected depth.

A beautiful ending to the Robots series and a bridge to the following works in the Foundation Universe.
Jay Wright
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Asimov's action is more on a intellectual plane. The characters were developed in the earlier works. The most important of characters being two Robots. Do the three laws of robotics cover everything or is there something missing? The question is simply should no harm come to man or should it be more universal in that no harm should come to mankind. Generally up until now, Robots could cause no harm to a human being, but the question is posed what if the actions of that protected man cause harm t ...more
Steven Peterson
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In some ways, this novel, which clearly and explicitly links three of Isaac Asimov's series--Robot, Foundation, and Empire--is the development of a new law of robotics. Of course, all fans of Asimov know the three laws:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm;
2. A robot must obey orders given it by humans except where such orders would violate the First Law;
3. A robot must protect its existence unless such behavior would violate the fir
Mars
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Out of all the Foundation-and-related books, this one is definitely in line for being declared the weakest.

We find out how things happened, but what would have been brilliant as 2-3 pages of exposition was stretched out to hundreds of pages of endless flashbacks, somewhat dull dialogue, and at least 70 repetitions of the words "nuclear intensifier".

Especially annoying highlights:
Vasilia made Giskard into what he is. All fine and good, but one of the characters even mentions that this is extremel
Darshayita Thakur
Dec 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This is the second work of Issac Asimov that I have read. The first being I, Robot. So naturally my expectations were high. I read this book as a standalone and therefore I can't possibly complain about the lack of world and character building. I liked this book, but did not love it enough. There was something missing. Amidst all the dialogues and the figuring out of the importance of humanity over individual humans, the precedence of zeroeth law over the first, the inter- and intra- galactic ac ...more
Ms. Smartarse
Some 220 years have passed since the end of The Robots of Dawn. Elijah Baley has been dead for a long time. His son Bentley (also long dead), had joined the settler space colonists and built a home on the planet of Baleyworld. Dr. Han Fastolffe has also passed on, leaving only Gladia to ponder Solaria's recent abandonment. At least she still has Daneel and Giskard in her "employ".

Just when she gets ready for another small 'eternity' of boredom, Gladia meets D.G. Baley, one of Elijah's descendant
Tomislav
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Isaac Asimov wrote his original Robot, Empire, and Foundation novels as separate series in the 1950s, and then in the 1980s wrote a number of novels that bridge them together into a continuous future history. The Robots of Dawn and Robots and Empire are two that form the bridge between his Robot mysteries, and his Empire adventures. Here is the complete chronology:

1 The End of Eternity (stand-alone) 1955
2 I, Robot (short stories) 1950
3 The Caves of Steel (Robot) 1954
4 The Naked Sun (Robot) 1957
Vylūnė
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was reluctant to come back to the series after the rather disappointing Robots of Dawn but Robots & Empire was a delight.

The book has both robots as a pathos and robots as a menace, both the potentially bright future for humanity and the potentially crumbling society. It has AI figuring out itself and questioning ethics. It explores the already known characters and places and introduces a few new ones and that development makes it more dynamic and more interesting than the previous books. And
David
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite. Certainly not the best of the Robot series. Large amounts of this could be excised and nothing would be lost. But I suppose we had to bridge the gap between the Robot books and the Empire books somehow.
Maxi Bolongaita
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I SHIT MYSELF. This book was SO good and the best part was that I read the 1980s edition paperback and I had the best time ever. THE BEST TIME EVER. ARRRGGH.
Jason Pettus
THE‌ ‌GREAT‌ ‌COMPLETIST‌ ‌CHALLENGE:‌ ‌In‌ ‌which‌ ‌I‌ ‌revisit‌ ‌older‌ ‌authors‌ ‌and‌ ‌attempt‌ ‌to‌ ‌read‌ every‌ ‌book‌ ‌they‌ ‌ever‌ ‌wrote‌

Currently‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌challenge:‌ ‌Isaac‌ ‌Asimov's‌ ‌Robot/Empire/Foundation‌ |‌ Margaret‌ Atwood‌ |‌ JG‌ ‌Ballard‌ |‌ Clive‌ ‌Barker‌ |‌ Jim Butcher's Dresden Files | Philip‌ ‌K‌ ‌Dick‌ |‌ Daphne‌ ‌du‌ ‌Maurier‌ |‌ William‌ ‌Gibson‌ |‌ Michel‌ Houellebecq‌ |‌ John‌ ‌Irving‌ |‌ Kazuo‌ ‌Ishiguro‌ |‌ John‌ ‌Le‌ ‌Carre‌ |‌ Bernard‌ ‌Malamud‌ |‌ China‌
Jayanth - A Capricious Reader
DNF @ 30%. Will pick it up later, not really upto reading this type of book right now.
Peter Baker
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That was a bloody good read, favourite in the series for sure, for sure. Certainly a bitter sweet experience. I would argue the ending felt a little rushed, but maybe that's just because I didn't really want it to end. This book is the most thought provoking of the series; the Zeroth Law is an interesting concept and one which highlights an issue with no obvious solution. Still feels relevant and modern today.
Good bloody series, great book. 5/5
Brian Bokser
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Robots and Empire is a super entertaining read. Once you start the book, you don't want to let it go. Asimov does a great job at explaining the twisted plot, little by little, by making very small observations tied with logical implications, as if everything could be analyzed in the style of a crime story detective.

The book has a slight non-linear nature, rather unusual for Asimov. This is also the first time in the saga where robots talk among them in a very human fashion.

Robots and Empire is t
Norm Davis
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans
Having grown up in the cold war era, ducking under desks in preparation for nuclear destruction from the USSR, I developed a bit of antipathy towards Russians so even though I was an ardent science fiction fan I refused to read Isaac Asimov on the principle that he was Russian even though all my science fiction loving friends were crazy in love with Asimov fiction. One day, reluctantly, I picked up Foundation. One third of the way through the novel I was becoming extremely upset because I could ...more
Scott Rhee
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The fourth and final book in Isaac Asimov's beloved robot series, "Robots and Empire" takes place many years after the death of Elijah Bailey, who has become somewhat of a galactic folk hero for his efforts in space exploration and colonization of planets far beyond the Terran solar system. His robot friend, Daneel Olivaw, lives on and strives to carry on the good work started by his human friend. With the help of a telepathic robot named Giskard, Olivaw struggles with the turbulent political la ...more
Prasoon Jha
What a great novel it was!

It was so fun to read, many times it brought tears to my eyes, many times it made me happy and many times it made me shocked. This is the final novel of the Robot Tetralogy by Isaac Asimov and it was a great conclusion. It was so brilliantly written that it kept me engaged all the time even though I was doubtful for the first few chapters that it would be the case. The first of the 5 units is a bit boring but from the second unit the story becomes very interesting. My r
Leonardo
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Really enjoyed this one. Although Bailey is not present, Gladia, Daneel and Giskard prove to be excellent protagonists. This novel can clearly be seen as a bridge to his other novels. I'm reading Asimov in a semi chronological order and this novel clearly propels the next step in the history of his universe, showing what triggers the formation of the galactic empire.

One peculiar thing I found was how the focus of the novel changed from Gladia to the robots. It seems to me to be premeditated, (vi
Mickey Robbins
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Friends never say goodbye

The events that lead to the current predicament of humanity in the Robot series beginning from I, Robot through Robots and Empire leaves the reader with a bitter sweet sense of success. Humanity has still not overcome its dread of robots but they can lust after them if designed to look as humans. The sarcasm is lost to all humans even if it stands before them all the time. The humans from all over the galaxy are broken into two fragments(or Tribes), Settlers and Spacers.
Joe
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the last of Asimov's Robot books and one I really enjoyed and has made me want to read even more by him.

The story continues the greater plot started, very lightly, in Caves Of Steel and brings in little mentions of several of the short stories as well. I didn't expect any of the short stories to make an appearance as I always thought they were just ideas about the same basic universe of robots and humans. It's more than that and discovering it made me smile.
Tod Dimmick
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am on a quest to read Asimov’s Robot and Foundation books in order. The chronology is the author’s, using events that start (leaving aside the beginning of Pebble in the Sky) many thousands of years in the future and build roughly sequentially. Asimov wrote these books wildly out of this order, which makes the experience all the more fun. He wrote Robots and Empire, for example, thirty years after The Currents Of Space, a book that in the author's chronology follows Robots and Empire by many c ...more
Goodreads Librari...: ASIN B00A6JHA6M 6 29 Mar 21, 2018 09:54AM
Goodreads Librari...: ASIN B00A6JHA6M 3 13 Mar 11, 2018 08:43AM
Isaac Asimov Novels: Robots and Empire 1 13 Aug 03, 2014 03:41AM

• 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)
  • En la arena estelar: Isaac Asimov
  • Worm Holes (Quantum Roots, #2)
  • Villainy Victorious (Mission Earth, #9)
  • The Doomed Planet (Mission Earth, #10)
  • Breaking: After the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #2)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • The Lost Intelligence (Lost Starship #12)
  • Inferno (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #2)
  • Isaac Asimov's Caliban (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #1)
  • Utopia (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #3)
  • Story of Your Life
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)
  • The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
  • Unparalleled
  • Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1)

Professor Asimov is generally considered one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine o

Robot, chronological order (6 books)
  • I, Robot (Robot, #0.1)
  • The Rest of the Robots (Robot, #0.2)
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot #1)
  • The Naked Sun (Robot, #2)
  • The Robots of Dawn (Robot, #3)