Start by marking “Nightflyers” as Want to Read:
Nightflyers

Nightflyers

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  847 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Nine misfit academics on an expedition to find the volcryn, a mythic race of intersteller nomads, and the only ship available for this strange quest is the Nightflyer, a cybernetic wonder with a never-seen captain...

Nine innocents are about to find themselves in deep space, trapped with an insane murderer who can go anywhere, do anything, and intends to kill them all.
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published November 15th 1987 by Tor Books (first published 1985)

Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that, although I love George R.R. Martin's writing, I didn't have the highest of hopes for this collection of short stories by him, written in the 1970's., simply because author's early works are not always as good as later ones.. and the cheesy cover art didn't help either, I must admit.

However - I was wrong. The stories in this collection are truly top-flight sci-fi, with a horror edge. All demonstrate Martin's amazing talent for characterization, and are both emotionally effec
Jacqueline Patricks
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read the first printing of this back when I was a teen, and I remember it stayed with me for a long time. Such a cool, creepy novella! I loved the two MCs of Nightflyers specifically and their strange romance. I loved the space sci-fi. I loved it so much I still have the original paperback. I go through a lot of books and many of them end up being resold or given away. I have a very short list of books that I keep forever. This was one of them.
Doug
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This science-fiction novella has a really interesting premise but slightly less interesting execution.

The setting here deserves a lot of praise. The author could easily have produced something quite bland, with a (at first glance) paint-by-numbers environment: it's far in the future; we're following a cast of science academic-types on a high-minded quest; the whole story takes place on a spaceship. Yet, George RR Martin manages to pull off something very cool and compelling with the atmosphere.
Craig
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of six good early (1970's) science fiction stories by Martin, four of them from Analog. There's a blurb on the cover that says "Now a major motion picture," but they lied... it was a minor picture, and not a very good one. Nightflyers is a very good novella, however, with a nice dollop of a horror feel to it. Two of the other stories are favorites of mine as well, A Song For Lya and And Seven Time Never Kill Man.
Teri
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ll admit that the only reason I read this short story is because of the series coming to Syfy. And because I love Ice and Fire series. It was an interesting story. I enjoyed it but I can’t figure what they will ever do to it to make a series
Krk
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Read in "Dream Songs: Volume One."
Jared Brookes
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The short story "Nightflyers" is truly awesome. The best science fiction horror since Alien.

If all of the short stories in this book were as strong as Nightflyers, then I would have given it a 5 out of 5 stars. Still though, the other stories are really quite good.

And yes, there is a movie. It looks like something that was thrown together by a bunch of starving film students with a $50.00 budget. In other words, avoid wasting almost two hours of your life and don't bother with the 'movie'.

Gre
Marco Silva
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio version available on Frank Decker YouTube channel. On this channel, you can find several George Martin short stories. Preston Jacobs sends people to these audio versions on his 1000 worlds reviews.

It's a good story: nice dialogues and good concepts. And a good mystery.The end is somehow strange and expository... It was made in a hurry.

Before the end, the action inside the ship and outside is very dynamic. I enjoyed the fact that it was written as some directors edit their
Kitty Red-Eye
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I actually liked this story better than "House of the Worm", but this time I had a problem with the storyteller angle, with changing narrators, which works so well in the Song of Ice and Fire novels, but felt artificial in the beginning and at the end, where there was suddenly an "I", framing the story. A good story, and I would really like to explore more of his Thousand Worlds, as the stories which play out in that universe are seemingly all very short, and fragmented in total. But an awesome ...more
Elena Druță
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Volumul respectiv este un buchet de povestiri care te înfioară. Îmi place foarte mult atmosfera pe care o creează G. R. R. Martin și relația naratorului cu cititorul. Creepy. Recomand celor însetați de literatură ce face sângele să înghețe în vene.
Jan Pocestnej
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Nightflyer is a classic (or perhaps a bit rusty) detective science fiction short story. Minus one star for telepathy and minus one for telekinesis. I don't like this stuff in SF.
Fangirl
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hugo, movie-tie-in, sci-fi
After watching the movie with Michael Praed, which I enjoyed very much, I decided to read the book.
I really liked the concept of the story.
Rafael Maragni
TERRI FREAKIN FRYING
Julián
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was kind of creepy. I liked it. If it was a longer story, it would be perfect.
...
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I picked up this book a few months ago, looking for a sci-fi or fantasy book to read in my downtime. Going into my bookstore brought a wave of nostalgia: it was as if I had traveled back in time to when I first visited the shop about six years ago, the smell of vanilla entering my nostrils and-

Oh right, this is supposed to be a book review.

Well, my rambling was to actually show that due to nostalgia, I was considering getting another Dragonlance book. None of them looked that interesting, and I
Bradley Paul Valentine
I’m ne to George RR Martin. I love the HBO show, but avoid the books just because I already know the series and I have so much else to read. However I read some of Martin’s early works a few months ago and found, feign surprise, the dude is a really good writer. So keep that opinion in mind when I saw I didn’t love Nightflyer. It was interesting. The human aspects of the story. But a lot of it felt like the kind of sci-fi nerd mumbo jumbo make most people go running from this kind of material. I ...more
Esteban LV
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sci-Fi is not Martin's thing.

As far as short stories or novelettes go, this one is OK, but just so.
The premise is interesting enough, an unknown alien race, a trip to meet them, a bunch of scientists and psychics, rogue AIs... But the science is lacking and, being an avid scifi reader, I can't stand blatant mistakes such as the ship having a "gravity dial". Why on space does a small ship has that? Why Martin couldn't do the proper thing and have the ship accelerate to increase gravity? Then what
Shreyas
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'Nightflyers' by George R.R. Martin.

This is a classic GRRM story, but in space. There's sex, there's gore and there's action (albeit the sex is just mentioned in passing). A squad of nine academics set on an expedition to find a mythical alien race - aboard a strange ship called as Nightflyer headed by a never-seen captain.

I have to admit that I'm a bit biased towards GRRM - he was the one who sucked me into the epic fantasy genre. Despite this I was a bit skeptical reading a sci-fi novella by h
Ben Fleck
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nightflyers: Or, Mommy Has a Grudge

George R.R. Martin takes us into space and beyond in Nightflyers, a space horror short story, that is not for the faint of heart. Along with Nightflyers, there were five other stories. I will give my #hottake on each of them.

Nightflyers: Trapped on a mysterious ship on a otherworldly mission, crew members suspiciously keep dying one by one. Space horror at it's finest. Martin really builds up the suspense and keeps you guessing til the end. Melantha Jhirl is
Emil Svensson
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aki Umemoto
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The title novella is an excellent horror/sci-fi story, right up there with "The Sandkings". There are some shocking moments in the tale that reminded me of "Event Horizon", so if you don't like gore, be warned. I also enjoyed "A Song for Lya" a thought provoking tale of religion, love, rituals and God. My least favorite story is "Weekend in a War Zone" mainly because I didn't care for the main character, which may be the point of the story, but meh for me. George R. R. Martin is a great writer a ...more
Tomáš Kratochvíl
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Considering how old the story is, I should probably rate it higher. But I simply can't. The plot doesn't surprise at all. And the behavior of the characters is a bit odd from time to time. As a "B class sci-fi" it's quite good. But otherwise? The ending doesn't give you anything. There is no moral. There is no point. There's not even disturbance. It just ends. And badly for the majority of characters (not a spoiler, you expect that from the second page). Also the way you are thrown into the stor ...more
Jesús
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La única pega que ha tenido este relato, es que la traducción que he leído debía ser latina. Todo era Platicar, ustedes y había también muchas traducciones erróneas. Remover para Remove. Curso para Curse.

Al margen de eso la historia es impecable. Aventura en el espacio, misterio por desvelar, personajes carismáticos, y una misteriosa y ciclópea nave que vaga por el espacio a lo largo de las eras. Maravilloso relato.
Ethan
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
As with most people today, the bulk of my GRRM experience is ASOIAF. Having read his novellas there too, I must say Martin's skill at short form fiction pleases me much more than his epic length novels. Nightflyers is quickly paced, feeling slightly pulpy at times, but doesn't sacrifice worldbuilding, tension, or intrigue. It's a fascinating thriller in a novel scifi universe, full of horror and wonder in equal parts.
Aaron the Pink Donut
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Decent collection of previously published short stories. Well worth checking out if you find a copy. Many of the stories have been printed else where in either other collections or magazines. My favorite from this was "Nor the Many-Colored Fires of a Star Ring". It was a nice little surprise tucked away about half way through the collection. I found it quite engaging. It's beautifully constructed and has the most emotional pull of the collection.
Scott
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, this is one novella, and several short stories. No unifying theme. Just imaginative future space stuff. I don't like short stories. Redus interruptus . . . not enough payoff. I want a big tale. Still, they are well written, and really quite clever. If I actually liked short stories, this would be more like 4 stars.
Allen Burton
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just excellent science fiction, really. The title story and A Song for Lya are particularly noteworthy but don't sleep on And Seven Times Never Kill Man. It is one of my favourite shorts in any genre. This collection is well worth your time. Yes.
Inma Yago Marco
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5/5 Me ha sorprendido mucho este relato, esperaba que al ser tan corto pasaran pocas cosas, pero no, han pasado muchas cosas muy interesantes. Me ha encantado lo bien que escribe este autor ciencia ficción, todo está muy bien explicado y hay muchos giros inesperados y otras cosas alucinantes.
Cole Skene
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It really has to be a science fiction horror classic. Imagine if the budget of passengers had been given to a modern reboot of this story instead!
Goodreads Librari...: Nightflyers: And other stories (Kindle) 8 18 Mar 27, 2018 06:09PM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: SyFy making GRRM's Nightflyers as series 5 22 Sep 14, 2017 10:33AM
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection
  • The Ends Of The Earth: 14 Stories
  • The Long Result
  • The Best of Robert Silverberg
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Nineteenth Annual Collection
  • Futures from Nature
  • Blue Champagne
  • Dayworld Rebel (Dayworld #2)
  • The Game-Players of Titan
  • The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories
  • Wolf's Bane (Wolfwalker, #5)
  • Fireflood and Other Stories
  • A Short, Sharp Shock
  • The Bladerunner
  • Third from the Sun
  • Wolf's Bane (Lone Wolf, #19)
  • The Da Vinci Hoax: Exposing the Errors in the Da Vinci Code
  • Abaţia
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Oddfits
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Imago (Xenogenesis, #3)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Flowertown
  • Heirs of Empire
  • Legend (Area 51, #9)
    $3.99 $1.99

“I accept what I am, but I did not choose it. I experience human life in the only way I can, vicariously. I am a voracious consumer of books, tapes, holoplays, fictions and drama and histories of all sorts. I have experimented with dreamdust.” 2 likes