Start by marking “Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)” as Want to Read:
Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)

Five Get Into Trouble

(The Famous Five #8)

Dick's been kidnapped, mistaken for someone else, and the Famous Five are frantic! Desperately, they track him down to a sinister old house in the middle of nowhere - and he's safe and well!

But just when they thought their troubles were over, the gang find themselves held captive and in terrible danger! Who will come for them now...?
Published 2001 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Five Get Into Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Get Into Trouble

Mark Lawrence
Sep 20, 2011 rated it liked it
In this tale the Five are banished to the wilds because forgetful Uncle Quentin has to go to a conference over the holidays and for some reason Aunt Fanny has to go with him. And to top it all the cook is ill!

Note: in Quentin's excuse he cites that when the children are not at Kirrin they are with Fanny's sister, implying that Julian, Dick, and Anne's mother is Fanny's sister, which would make some sense. However book 1 makes it very clear that their father is Quentin's brother. And whilst it is
Luffy
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: popsugar-2019
This offering in the Famous Five series was a solid and sometimes brilliant entry as far as enjoyment goes. There had to be some coincidences. And there had to be a secret room. There always is!

I thought that Enid Blyton was at the top of her game. If anyone new to the series would set the ball rolling with this 8th book, that would be fitting and welcome.

The pacing is out of this world. The four kids and dog are going off on their bikes, on a trail. But a new rich spoiled kid upsets the apple-c
Dannii Elle
Oh, the nostalgia!
Paul E. Morph
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whoa! Book 8 certainly made-up for the comparative lack of thrills in the previous volume!

Five Get Into Trouble starts off innocuously enough, with Anne, Dick, George, Julian and Timmy setting off on a bike ride (I’m assuming Timmy, being a dog, wasn’t riding a bike… but with him you never know; I’ve long suspected him to be the most intelligent of the Five). They stop to swim in a lake and meet a young chap called Richard, whose family own the lake and the surrounding area.

Things go awry when,
Kelly-Marie
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
5 stars loved this book stories never get old 💕
Kirsti
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Back to reading one of my old favorites, Enid Blyton. Enid had some magic formula that kept kids hungry for her books, and I'm not exactly sure what it is, but when I was 12 years old I was hooked. Over ten years later, I still pick up one of her books and smile- and then get hungry as the children describe all the wonderful things to eat!

In this novel, we see the five off on a cycling tour because Uncle Quentin has booked to go away for conferences and they can't stay at Kirrin cottage. Along t
Irma
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
... reading with my 9 year old daughter...

I've read all these books way back when I was a child and I've read them numerous times. I thought it was time to show them to her.

This one was absolutely thrilling!
Kavita
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, mystery, uk
Favourite Famous Five :)
Dave Johnston
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
These kids are one courageous bunch. Rooky was a great baddie - hope he doesn't give my little boy nightmares. 9/21
Nadja
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hörspiel, time-2018
Die Fünf Freunde auf Fahrradtour, eine Entführung aus Verwechslung (passiert zwei Hörspielfolgen später gerade nochmals 😂) und dank heldenhaftem Julian endet alles gut (das erinnert mich gerade an das TKKG Tim ist der Beste Schema). War ganz okay, aber der spätere ähnliche Fall tick besser. [22.08.2018]
Elizabeth
Yet again the Famous Five get themselves into a highly improbable scrape and manage to save the day just in the nick of time!

Actually, this one took a rather dark turn when a kidnapping goes very wrong (a case of mistaken identity) and they all end up being held captive. It was well plotted, with good pacing and a very exciting storyline. Very enjoyable. It's also very interesting to see how Enid Blyton is developing Julian's character. He seems to be the only one who is actually growing up and
David Sarkies
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: mystery
A cycling tour of South Cornwall
24 August 2012

Blyton seems to have moved a bit from her standard formula in this book in that it is not that the Five go off on some holiday by themselves to discover some crooks concocting some nefarious deed hidden away in a lonely part of the country, but rather that the crooks mistake poor Dick for the child of a wealthy industrialist (it is not mentioned what made him wealthy but I always like the term wealthy industrialist) and kidnaps him. While it is a ca
Vera Maharani
Satu-satunya buku seri Lima Sekawan yang saya punya. Tadinya pengen beli secara berurutan, tapi terpaksa beli random karena...yah, di Gramedia dulu nggak selalu ada berurutan. Dulu pengen koleksi, tapi belum kesampaian karena uang jajan nggak cukup. Hiks. Sekarang pas udah punya duit sendiri untuk ngoleksi seri ini sampai tamat sekali pun, bukunya udah dicetak ulang dengan desain sampul berbeda. Hmmm...saya rasanya lebih suka desain sampul yang lama. Juga nggak tahu perasaan saya aja atau gimana ...more
Gurnam Sodhi
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really thrilling. Finished in few hours. Could not leave it.
Regitze
My aunt just gave me an old copy of this book after I graduated from university. Why? Because she remembered that this particular book was probably my very first favourite book. I used to loan in from the school library ALL THE TIME, it was literally going back and forth between me and another student from my sister's grade. I was probably in like between 2nd and 4th grade at the time, and when the book was too tattered from use, the school librarian gave it to me. Sadly, I lost my copy some tim ...more
Vinay Leo
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Super fun. And shows one finds bravery when others least expect it. I also loved the definition of bravery too.
Farseer
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kim
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't remember this book from childhood at all but I think this is the darkest one in the series so far. The children set out on a cycling holiday and meet another young boy called Richard Kent. Richard has wealthy parents and has had a very spoilt lifestyle and is rather selfish and thoughtless. So He thinks nothing of telling untruths to be able to accompany the children. This all goes horribly wrong when a group of criminals with a grudge against his father plan to kidnap him but take Dick ...more
Roman Khan
Mar 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
This book was about 5 children who were on a holiday and they wanted to go somewhere else without their mum and dad or granny and when they were on their way Dick got kidnapped then the other 4 children tried to help him but they were too late and got trapped in Owls dene. I only gave this book one star because I dint really like it because there were loads of chatting and I didn’t really like the cliff-hangers.
Neja
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-childhood
These books (Famous five) are hands down one of my favorite books from my childhood. All those adventures and mystery …and those sandwiches they always packed! aww, just the best! I would love to read one of these again. To bring back those memories..memories of first experiences with reading books.
Sunshine
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Buttock-clenchingly frightful, I'm so relieved (and delighted as always) to have 'buddy read' this with Paul for fear that I may otherwise have plopped my trollies. Poor old Dick has some trouble with mistaken identity!
Gayatri
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was my very first 100+ pages novel that I read all by myself when I was 6 years old. Though it took me almost 2 weeks to finish it, I really loved it. This book is the one which introduced me to reading and what prompted me to become an avid reader.
Shirley Revill
Pure nostalgia Storytelling at it's best.
Rebecca
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Another Famous Five where the Five clearly think they are better at chasing down criminals than the Police (to be fair, they probably are!), and happen to be in the wrong (or is that right) place at the wrong time to fall into another adventure. Julian leads the way. Timothy gets locked outside. Poisoned meat is mentioned. They visit a farm for food. Anne climbs a tree. There's a smooth villian and a downtrodden housekeeper. This Famous Five packs in all that makes the series in this book, but J ...more
Sassa
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3-1/2 stars. The Famous Five are on quite an adventure this time, one that seems more wrought with potential for harm than the previous books in the series!
I liked this quote: “‘I suppose even the worst coward, the most despicable crook, the most dishonest rogue can find some good thing in himself if he wants to badly enough.’ ‘Yes, it’s the “wanting-to” that must be so rare, though.’”
Because I am giving this book to my young granddaughter, I marked through a very few words, words we do not use
Nicola
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, adventure
"Dick's been kidnapped, mistaken for someone else, and the Famous Five are frantic! Desperately, they track him down to a sinister old house in the middle of nowhere ..."

I absolutely adored Famous Five as a child. I trawled through secondhand stores and slowly acquired all of them. For some reason in my childhood, there were lots of British books and comics widely available and back then they were sold for the mighty sum of 10 cents. Seems funny now when some of the secondhand shops charge $7-10
Apeksha Singh
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Good book for children at school and of course this Enid Blyton series always makes me feel nostalgic. I loved the drama and the suspense part. To be learnt from this book is how this group of five apart from getting out of a troubled situation also help their new friend. How they help him and make him realise that everyone is a braveheart. I loved this book. I chose it as I wanted to read something in fictional adventure and of course, it reminded me of my school days.
Bartolomeu De Bensafrim
coruja casamento ainda não é familiar para a altura das montanhas estranhas e isoladas para criar um grande número de corujas.
quem não quer viver para sempre lá?
mas sim, é aí que os famosos seis prisioneiros estão lá.
estes são o filho de Ricardo, um menino muitos inimigos.
mas como você pode o impedi-lo?
u u.
esse é o vilão que eu conheci um monte de quem queria começar o resgate-sequestro do Ricci, pai de férias da Páscoa.
mas qual é o resultado desse risco?

acordei banhado em suor.
a pressão de surp
Nina
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This plot was very exciting and the famous five, along with their friend, manage to escape from a house with a secret door that is obviously discovered by them. The beauty of this story also lies in the fact that a little boy shown to be quite the coward finds his inner strength and courage due to the his newfound friends.
นีน
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the most well-plotted! The story does not narrate only about the relationship about this gangs mostly toward story, but also tries to take the readers into the adventurous traveling themselves. The story slightly reviews a mystery piece by piece, and has more than one mysteries in one story, unlike the other books.
  • Lima Sekawan: Menaklukkan Agen Rahasia (2)
  • The Mystery of the Dead Man's Riddle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #22)
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Invisible Dog (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #23)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • Guardado No Coração - 1ª Parte
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192

The Famous Five (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)
  • Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)
  • Five Go Off in a Caravan
  • Five on Kirrin Island Again (Famous Five, #6)
  • Five Go Off to Camp (Famous Five, #7)
  • Five Fall Into Adventure (Famous Five, #9)
  • Five on a Hike Together (Famous Five, #10)
  • Five Have a Wonderful Time (Famous Five, #11)