Start by marking “Goose Chase” as Want to Read:
Goose Chase

Goose Chase

It starts when Alexandria, a poor, plain goose girl, offers her own bread and water to a hungry old woman — who just happens to be a witch in disguise. Poof! Alexandria is suddenly heartstoppingly beautiful. Her hair rains down gold dust, and the tears she sheds turn to diamonds. Soon a prince and a king are fighting for her hand, and they've locked her in a tower to keep ...more
Published October 14th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 2001)

Anne Osterlund
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Alexandria is a goose girl with serious issues. Like being locked in a tower by the King and the Prince who think that is the way to win her hand in marriage. And then there’s the old hag, who gave Alexandria diamond tears, gold dust dandruff, and looks as beautiful as the dawn. Which, of course, have contributed to Alexandria’s current “locked-in-a-tower” status.

Fortunately our fair heroine has twelve geese. Geese with the ability to poach mattresses off of clotheslines and turn them into the f
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Safia Abdul for TeensReadToo.com

Many would think Alexandria Aurora Fortunato to be blessed. She is not only extraordinarily beautiful, but gold pours from her hair and diamonds fall in place of her tears. However, truthfully, she has been cursed with these gifts ever since an old hag showed up at Alexandria's humble cottage and begged for a bite to eat. As a reward for Alexandria's kindness, a spell was cast--and Alexandria's life changed forever.

No longer a simple goose girl, Alexa
Kaylabee
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
First of all, let me just say that I LOVED the heroine of this story. She is so smart, spunky, funny, and brave. I didn't exactly find myself relating to her (were I in her position, I basically would have just flat out died) but I did find myself wishing I could be more like her.
The setting was interesting, but not, like, the best i've ever read. I think what really made this story so good was
A. The main character
and
B. The language.
Sometimes I had to read a sentence a couple of times to
Ellen
This is what happens when one reads an ok book right after an amazing book
Goose Chase is the story of a goose girl who has been given the gifts of being beautiful, Her hair when combed yielded gold dust, and when she cried her tears became diamonds. She is being pursed by a cruel king and a prince who is a few pickles short of a jar.
The story is solid. The blending together of Wild Swans, Rapunzel, Toads and Diamonds, and a few more is done very well.
The Characters are solid Alexandria is inte
Tracy
May 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
A nice enough fantasy that incorporates elements from several fairytales to tell a new story. The heroine is smart and fiesty (although she does ignore those geese when they seem to be warning her to danger, a trait which I found out of character). Like a wild goose chase, this girl is on the run and falling from one predicament into the next in rapid succession. The language of the dialog is funny but often awkward, as it tries to be Olde English and is sprinkled with made-up words. It seemed t ...more
Mary Dover
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Barb in Maryland
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, romance, sf-f
Clever and entertaining. Our Goose Girl is a great heroine. Lots of fun.
Nannah
Ah, I haven't re-read this for at least ten years. But, ;___; I weep for another childhood favorite gone from five stars down to 3.5. That's not to say it's not a good book. It's just not . . . as wonderful as I remembered.

Alexandria the "Goose Girl", was a plain, poor girl before meeting an old woman who "blessed" her with looks to rival the dawn, and gifts that made her cry diamonds and shed gold dust whenever she combed her hair. Unfortunately, these blessings make her coveted by both her cou
Kiki
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, my-library
been a long time favorite for me. I have read this over and over again, and despite the same plot line, same story, and same ending, it never disappoints, nor gets old. Despite being in my twenties, I still love it like I did when I was a young teen.

It's like a fairytale story that your parents read you before bed, except much more; there's darkness to it. The love triangle is interesting to explore, since it's all from the perspective of a girl who *doesn't love any of them.* Most love triangl
Taffy
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
First line:

"The king killed my canary today."

What a great first line!

What a fun book to read! Full of fairy tale twists and characters.

Poor Alexandria became beautiful because of her god deed. Now the king of a neighboring kingdom seeks her hand in marriage as does the prince of her own kingdom. Her beauty helps as does the gold flakes that fall from her hair when she brushes it. Do these men really love her? Or her golden hair?

Alexandria is known as the Goose Girl because of the twelve geese
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
The past few times I have been at the library I have seen this on the suggested reading shelf; I liked the cover but never really stopped to look at it. Finally, I decided I would see what it was about, after reading the inside cover I decided to check it out. It is definitely meant for younger audiences, but I thought it was a fun quick read. It has a nice fairly-tale feel to it and the story was cute. I liked our heroine Alexandria, but was disappointed in Prince Edmund. At first he is portray ...more
Jaemi
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a wonderful treat in silliness. Not only was the fairy tale in and of itself enjoyable, our main characters, Alexandria and the Prince, not to mention her 12 geese, are quite a riot. Even when things are dire, the story is told with a humorous spin, and our hero and heroine are always concocting some new crazy scheme to get out of the next trouble. The way I figured it, any book that starts out "The King killed my canary" just has to be funny. And in no way did it disappoint. If yo ...more
K.
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fairy-tale retelling lovers
Needed a bit of light reading in between Dickens and Goethe :)

Read this before, but just reread (Sept 2014). Adore the medieval-ish language, I think that is the most fun part of the book. Loved that I could hand it to my 12 year old and tell her to go for it (she did, read in an hour). Clean, humorous, adventurous. Only the slightest bit of romance in the future (no kissing, no swooning, just sweet, maybe when we're older type thing).

Heartily enjoyed
Katerina
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was a nice story, but the whole thing was kind of like, "bleh" elongated on me. It was silly, and it was very casual writing. But the characters spoke quite formally. It was all very topsy-turvy. I didn't like the prince at all, he was just boring, but suddenly by the end, he's gone from an idiot to a knight in shining armor. The writing style was inconsistent. The qualities of the characters kept changing.
Becky
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Not too familiar with the goose girl story so this was a fun retelling. I liked the geese, Alexandria and the prince. It had a fairy godmother ogres and it also had some other stories thrown in like when she cried diamonds and her hair magically grows.
Mayyah
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
hilarious! excellent for fairy tale lovers, humour, and appreciators of language, because the language used here is entertainingly archaic.
Kate Hastings
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades 5-7
Shelves: fairytalenovels
SO GOOD!!
Nioniel
Intentionally cliche, mildly amusing at times, mediocre writing, and very disappointing. Enjoyable, but not nearly as good as it could have been. More of a two and half stars rather than three.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A traditional fairy tale novelized. Well done!
Bryanna Nase
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alexandria Aurora Fortunato is thrown for a curve when she goes from being the village’s “Goose Girl” to becoming the prettiest maiden in the realm. If only she hadn’t offered that poor old woman some bread and a drink. Then the witch wouldn’t have cursed her with long, beautiful hair that sheds gold dust, large diamonds in place of tears, and a face lovelier than the dawn. This all would have been a blessing had it not attracted the attention of two men—the Prince of Dorloo and the King of Gilb ...more
Nunya
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fairy tale retellings are my favourite subgenre of book and this one was especially good. I already enjoy this author, and I was not disappointed in this book. The heroine and narrator has a distinct voice and a fun character that is almost dryly humorous about the unfortunate events that befall her. The prince as a supporting character is good, and has a lot of development throughout the book.
The way the narrator tells the story, in a sort of medieval/old time accent, could be very unpleasant a
Mari
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Patrice Kindl! There is nothing as magical as her books. I loved them when I was younger and a really random recommendation for her popped up on my Kindl so I downloaded this one. I imagine I must have read it a long time ago if the library had it, but had no memory of it.

What I like about Kindl's books is that they feel so authentically fairy tale. She imbues them with modern twists and perspectives yet without the heavy-handed, eye-roll details of, I don't know, faeries taking selfies or reall
Kim  Gregory
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mostly this was a very good fairy tale re-telling. There were at least two fairy tales retold in this one, The Goose Girl and Rapunzel - but I guess there could also be the one with the swans, but this one is with geese. To say more would make that line a spoiler.

The story begins with our Goose Girl looked in a tower with a prince and a king vying for her hand in marriage. Now why would a prince and a king want to marry a goose girl??? Well to find out that you have to read the story - to tell
Kelly
I really like fairy tale retellings, so I was giving this one a try even though it's for girls much younger than I am. I gave it up, though, because I can't stand it when people transport feminism back in time and have a goose-girl who's living in an agrarian society ruled by a monarchy claim that marriage won't do for her, and that she has no need of a husband. Eye. Roll.
Grace
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book in middle school and loved it. Fast forward 10+ years and I couldn't remember the name but I vividly remembered the cover. I typed in some key words on my library's website and boom! there it was. The frame of the story was just how I remembered it but the style of writing was a surprise to me. Super cute story and a great blast from the past!
Carleigh Carter
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite books! I love the retelling of a classic but little told fairytale, and I always love a headstrong female protagonist, even one as stubborn as this. Clever, funny, and heartwarming, it's a joy from start to finish.
Bethany
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This was soooo hard to get through. The story was fine, but it probably could have been more enjoyable. This would be great for kids, but honestly if I was a kid and I read this, I probably wouldn't have been able to get through it.
Nicole Haan
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun and sassy fairytale for kids.
Goose Chase 2 22 Dec 13, 2012 01:55PM
  • Fortune's Folly
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
  • The Runaway Princess (Runaway Princess, #1)
  • A True Princess
  • The Fairy's Return (The Princess Tales, #6)
  • Snow in Summer
  • The Swan Kingdom
  • Bella at Midnight
  • The World Above:  A Retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk and Robin Hood
  • Violet Eyes:  A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • Into the Wild (Into the Wild, #1)
  • Shadow Spinner
Childhood:
I was born in Alplaus New York in 1951, the youngest of four daughters. My father is a mechanical engineer, my mother a housewife. My family is very nice – I like them all a lot. As a child I loved animals and read obsessively.
We had (still have) a family cottage on Lake George. The people who live next door are life-long friends. On summer weekdays during my childhood there were ten fem
“He was reading. I was struck dumb with amazement.” 8 likes