Start by marking “The Loop” as Want to Read:
The Loop

The Loop

Life inside The Loop-the futuristic death row for teens under eighteen-is one long repetitive purgatory. But when news of the encroaching chaos in the outside world reaches the inmates and disorder begins to strike, the prison becomes the least of their worries.

It's Luka Kane's sixteenth birthday and he's been inside The Loop for over two years. Every inmate is serving a
Published April 7th 2020 by Chicken House (first published April 2nd 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Loop, please sign up.
Kesia It has elements of The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner series (pacy, futuristic) but the prison break storyline sets it apart for me!
Ben Oliver Hi :) there is the beginnings of a romance between two characters, yes.

Start your review of The Loop
James Phoenix
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many books have claimed to be 'the next Hunger Games or Maze Runner' but few can actually meet that hype. I'm happy to say that this book has met these expectations and then some!

This book is mostly set inside a prison known as the Loop, where inmates are subject to torturous conditions and crippling loneliness. We explore this setting through the eyes of Luka Kane, a flawed and very relatable YA protagonist who keeps you engaged as the mysteries of the prison and the world around it begin to
Joseph Elliott
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced, inventive and full of twists and turns, I devoured this book. Whenever I thought I knew where it was heading, it would spin in another unexpected direction, constantly keeping me enthralled.

Set in a distopian future, Luca Kane is imprisoned in 'The Loop' - a nightmarish institute where inmates are harvested for their energy and experimented on by the government. Luka and the other inmates dream of escape, but with threats of war and rumours of a killer virus that turns humans into
Kelli
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the birth child of Stephen King's The Institute and Rick Yancey's The 5th Wave series.

Similar to those, this was a tough pill to swallow involving torture, prison and war for young adults and children. But damn if it isn't a rocket fueled ride. I couldn't stop reading even when I was hating what was happening. This is a love hate read in my opinion. The characters are absolutely wonderful. Dynamic and engaging. Dialogue was fantastic! Just enough that you get past the horrible things
Charlotte
Everything is as it should be.

Vicious and efficient, the world of The Loop feels painfully pragmatically real & believably near. The Hunger Games is a walk in the park compared to this! The level of control is terrifying and when it all hits the fan IT REALLY HITS THE FAN! YA Action, Thriller, Horror... Flawlessly executed and what a twist ending!
Scarlet Wilson
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Finished this book in one sitting. In Scotland, wed call this one a wee beauty.
Full of twisty, heart-stopping moments that make your stomach clench in lots of uncomfortable ways. Good world building with just enough questions left unanswered to make you curious about the next one. Got to the end and shouted...NO.... because I wanted more. Pacing great.

For sensitive readers TW for death, gore in a Walking Dead kind of way and medical procedures.
Lesli Mejia
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translated
What a good story. It's fast-paced, it's entertaining, it's horrifying and suspenseful and moving and intriguing. It's political and subversive, it's funny and wholesome. I didn't know the young adult dystopian genre was still so good and had evolved so much. The Loop is sci-fi, it's zombies, it's social criticism: it is a delightful read.
Anna Waterworth
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to receive a proof copy of the loop. It was completely brilliant - scary, believable and addictive! If you like dystopia, sci-fi or adventure books, then you will inhale this novel.
Nabilah Firdaus
A gripping, thrilling and terrifying read.

The Loop is set in dystopian future, where the world is regulated by the World Government and that government is counselled by Artificial Intelligence named Happy (which is very disturbing). It follows the story of Luka Kane who is an inmate in the Loop where the prisoners here are put through cruel torture and excruciating surrounding. Lukas chance to escape is made possible when rumours of war start to spread and government-issued rain stops falling.

Caitlin
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is wild! Part futuristic fight-the-system/zombie(-esque) apocalypse/sci-fi thriller, and a bunch of other things that somehow all seamlessly work together, this book reminds me of the golden days of dystopian YA, but maybe possibly almost does it better? Best yet, it also gives off some strong, early Pierce Brown vibes (extremely high praise), so all Red Rising fans out there, rejoice! Luka is beyond lovely - seriously, what a hero (who, sidenote, also has great taste in books) - as ...more
Insert Name Here
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
An AI controlled prison is inescapable for the teenagers inside it. There's no contact with the outside world, but rumours still filter through - and those rumours are very dark.
Some time in the future - at least a hundred years from now, it's possible I missed a more exact timeframe - the world has fallen under the power of the One World Government and an AI called Happy. Happy controls everything, everywhere. Including the Loop and Block prisons, one for under eighteens, one for adults. Luka's
Erin
Feb 12, 2020 marked it as to-read
Giveaway win!
The Artisan Geek
20/3/20
This was so good!! It's been a really long time since I read such a thrilling sci-fi story - it had just the right amount of death and violence hahah! So gutted I'm going to have to wait another year to read the sequel xD

10/9/19
Yes! I won this one at YALC! Thank you so much Chicken House!! The premise sounds super duper cool :)

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
(Love, Stars and Books)
(I received an ARC from #pansing and @definitelybooks for a voluntary and honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

Book review: The Loop by Ben Oliver (4 stars)

The Loop by Ben Oliver
Genre: YA, Sci-fi, Dystopian
Rating: 4/5 stars

(Review)
(DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

This book will be available at all good bookstores once it has been published (2nd April 2020)

I was so lucky to get surprise mail from #pansing and @definitelybooks and this book blew my mind! It has
Joanne
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: august-2019
This was a very page-turning and I had to find out what was happening as we meet Luka Kane in the Loop, a prison for inmates. It started off well with a good amount of time setting the scene and understanding the state of the world and what the Loop was, but it suddenly got very freaky and I was soon creeped out!

I do have to say that the creepy bit was very well written and had the right amount of detail and description whilst getting on with the story. A lot happens to Luka Kane, the narrator,
Terra Lewis
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fast read I would have finished it last night if it wasnt for my needy bulldog ...more
Shelly
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY got around to reading my ARC copy of The Loop! I loved it! a lot of tension, technology and terror! Great characters who you root for and an ending that I read twice because it blew me away!
Vee_Bookish
"futuristic death row for teens under eighteen"

This is very high on my April wishlist.
Ciara Smyth
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lads, she is a BEAUT.

This book is so good I want everyone to read it. I am not surprised it's already optioned for TV because it is so gripping. It zips along, at incredible speed but still lets you immerse yourself in its world and the emotional lives of the characters. It is peppered with humour in all the right places. I was blown away by Ben Oliver's ability to merge high octane thrills and a sci-fi nightmare world with soft feelings and regular teenage concerns like 'why does she like him
Suzz99
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great grounded sci-fi. Intriguing first quarter and then it explodes into action and doesn't stop.
Elyse (ElyseReadsandSpeaks)
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow I really enjoyed this one. It was a quick, easy read but it didn't lack world-building or character development. This one took me by surprise for sure.

I really liked the idea of alts vs. regulars and surgeries being first tested on prisoners before being offered to alts. I also like the concept of a "delay" - choosing the surgery in order to delay an execution. It was an unfair choice but that was the point.

Without spoiling anything, I'm not sure I like the reason behind the "smilers." That
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I did liked this book. It kinda makes you think at the end. Very mind blowing and a little action pack.
Jess
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-arc-copy, own, won
*I won an ARC of this book from Chicken House*

The Loop is a prison controlled by an artificial intelligence. Luka Kane has been imprisoned there for over two years. His death sentence is pushed back every time Luka agrees to a 'Delay' - a medical experiment that benefits the wealthy, but could mean death for Luka.
Nothing ever changes in the Loop, until one day rumours spread of unrest and a potential war on the outside.
Then the inmates find themselves alone in the Loop with limited
Hamilton Varga
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing and page-turney (page-turney is a word, right?).

Luka Kane - our main character and whose point of view the story is told through - is locked inside a futuristic death-row for young people (like, really young, some of these kids who have been sentenced to death are eleven!).

The inmates are set free by a prison warden after the world turns into a chaotic battlefield of killer zombie-types known as Smilers (because, you guessed it, they smile a whole bunch).

Trying to survive this
Bennet W
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luka Kane has just turned 16 and he's already been in prison for more than 2 years. This is a prison run by artificial intelligence. Luka Kane is sentenced to death but every six months he has the option to push back the date of his execution by six months if he agrees to be a ubject of scientific experiments.

Later in the book the population of the world turn into psychopathic zombies and start killing each other. It's up to Luka and the other surviving inmates of the prison to find out what is
Aristea F
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luka Kane is a young man trapped inside a prison called the loop. Major apocalyptic events happen in the outside world... adventure ensues!

This was fast-paced, fascinating and scary. Great twists and turns and a brilliantly scary ending.
Tori
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this one. It definitely kept my interest and is fast paced but the plot had some holes and seemed to fall apart somewhat in the last third of the book. There were also some similarities to other things (namely the Scorch Trials and the Matrix) that I couldn't quite get past.
Jamie
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Interesting dystopian/futuristic story. Probably could have been a 5 for me, but the ending! ARGH! I wanted answers!
Kesia
Mar 03, 2020 added it
The Loop is a revelation: darkness, scares and heart-stopping twists combine in a thrilling start to a series with blockbuster promise. Completely unputdownable!
Melissa
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an interesting premise but it lost me on all the senseless action and unexplained phenomena. I wish they had explained what was going on earlier on to provide some context and anchor the action.
The love interest arc seems forced.

• Lockdown (Escape from Furnace, #1)
  • The Good Hawk
  • Deeplight
  • The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1)
  • Dark Inside (Dark Inside, #1)
  • The Pure Heart
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • Kent State
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • Sword in the Stars (Once & Future #2)
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • The Sky is Mine
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • Undead (Undead, #1)
  • Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1)
  • Empty