Start by marking “Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre” as Want to Read:
Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre

Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre

The #1 bestselling author of World War Z takes on the Bigfoot legend with a tale that blurs the lines between human and beast--and asks what we are capable of in the face of the unimaginable.

As the ash and chaos from Mount Rainier's eruption swirled and finally settled, the story of the Greenloop massacre has passed unnoticed, unexamined . . . until now.

But the journals of
Expected publication: May 12th 2020 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about Devolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devolution

Start your review of Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
Will Byrnes
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found a way, I found a way to survive with them. Am I a great person? I don’t know. I don’t know. We’re all great people. Everyone has something in them that is wonderful. I’m just different and I love these bears enough to do it right. I’m edgy enough and I’m tough enough. But mostly I love these bears enough to survive and do it right. – from the video diary of Timothy Treadwell, self-proclaimed “Grizzly Man,” recorded right before he was eaten by a bear
On April 1, 1969 the Board of
megs_bookrack
Devolution tackles the legend of Bigfoot...

...told through a set of found journals and an original investigation.

It's all I have ever wanted in a book and more.
Tucker
World War Z was the first book ever to literally make my heart pound inside my chest. So, yes, I am very excited for this
Sonja Arlow
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
I have to start my review by mentioning just how much I loved World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, it took the overdone zombie theme and made it into a unique reading experience. Some of the military sections felt extremely authentic because the author took inspiration from a collection of thousands of interview excerpts from participants in WWII.

I highly recommend that book even if you think you won’t like a zombie book.

This one however was not in the same category.

I think the setup
Ash
Dec 04, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This cover is so ugly but I would die for another Max Brooks novel so you know I’ll read it.
Trin
Jan 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
Oh dear. I loved World War Z, and waited so long for a follow up, but this has none of its predecessor's cleverness or spark. Not because "Bigfoot attack" is inherently a dumber concept that "worldwide zombie plague" -- both are pretty goofy, and in WWZ, the seriousness with which Brooks tackles the silly setup is a large part of the charm. But here the mechanics fail him.

Devolution is told (for the most part) as a found diary, which is simply not a good format for an action/suspense story.
Em
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s so Max Brooks-y!!! I loved WWZ so much I read it twice, and I’m so glad he’s back to working in a similar form again. This has all the same hallmarks as WWZ - socio-economic and political background that enrich and lends plausibility to the events of the novel, as well as neat little twists of the knife here and there when you’re least expecting them. Highly highly recommended.
Stephen Stewart
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced readers’ copy of this book.

Devolution, by Max Brooks, weaves a series of narratives and accounts to retell the story of the Greenloop community and the disaster that befalls it. Much like Brooks’ other acclaimed novel, World War Z, Devolution features a frame narrative, with a journalist conducting interviews and reading Kate Holland’s journal in an expose of the Greenloop massacre. While World War Z uses a myriad of different interviews to broaden the scope and
Melissa
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Devolution by Max Brooks is so. much. fun.

Brooks' World War Z is one of my favourite books of all time. I've re-read it again and again (and in fact just listened to the audio for the first time this month), so when I saw that he'd written a new book in a similar style but chronicling a Bigfoot encounter, I was already excited.

The format and style weren't as close to World War Z as I was expecting, but that wasn't to the book's detriment. The former is told as a series of interviews with a wide
Neil McRobert
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Max Brooks follows up the phenomenal success of World War Z with another faux dossier of paranormal encounters. This time, rather than the undead, Brooks presents us with Bigfoot. But be warned, this is not Harry Henderson, nor is it the hairy snowman of recent animated adventures. Brooks’ Bigfoot is a proto-hominid terror. It/they come straight from the 70s pulp cinema tradition (a legacy the novel is happy to acknowledge).

Devolution is a more streamlined piece of ‘found’ documentation than
Liz Barnsley
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this.

A one sitting read and straight onto my favourite books list, Devolution tells the tale of volcanic eruption, chaos and confusion, whilst one woman and her community face a fight of an entirely different kind…

Told via diary entries, interviews and news reports, Devolution is a highly addictive, totally involving tale that harks back to the fears of our childhood, the monsters that roam just beyond our vision, that in this book become horrifyingly real. The characters are pitch
George1st
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember a few years ago, one day being in Glasgow and unexpectedly seeing it turned into a film set that transformed it's city centre into downtown Philadelphia for the movie World War Z based on the novel by Max Brooks. Now in his latest book Brooks has moved from zombies to that ever popular figure from Cryptozoology, the North American Sasquatch. The main narrative takes the form of diary entries made by Kate Holland, her diary being found at the deserted and destroyed remote eco-village ...more
Jennifer M.
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From the very first page, YES! This book is about a group of people who live near Mt Rainier, and what happens when some Bigfoots (Bigfeets?) decide to attack. Yes, you did read that right. And maybe it sounds a little crazy, but god almighty, it is wonderful. It's creepy. First this group of people are living peacefully, but they are also sequestered from most of the rest of civilization. Then they become trapped by nature, and from there the story takes off. Even though I wouldn't necessarily ...more
Kaora
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of Max Brooks, ever since he first released World War Z. I really wasn't into zombie or horror books at the time, but he opened a whole new world for me, so when Devolution came up I had to grab it right away.

I'm so glad he stuck to the epistolary format in World War Z, because he does it so well. I feel like I really get to know the characters through their stories and care about them.

Devolution hooked me from the first page to the last. It was one of those books where I stayed
Keeley
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Max Brooks' Devolution tells of the aftermath of Mt. Rainier's volcanic eruption for a small ecovillage that was built within its foothills. The same things that made Greenloop desirable soon become detriments as its residents are unable to leave, call for help, receive food deliveries, or fortify their remote, isolated smart homes. As food dwindles, residents begin to turn against each other, and they start hearing rumblings from above. Could the eruption have driven a family of Bigfoot/Bigfeet ...more
Jen Ryan
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved World War Z so I was very excited to see a new title by Max Brooks. I was not disappointed. Similar to WWZ the story is told through journal entries and interviews. The planned community of Greenloop has everything a techie could desire while being nestled in the forest near Mt. Rainier. The houses are ultra high tech, groceries are delivered by drone. The big cites are close enough to visit for fun but far enough away that the residents feel really in touch with nature. Then Mt. Rainier ...more
Harry Jahnke
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this and I wish I had more to say about it other than it does what it says on the tin. I was expecting a found footage style horror story about Big Feet and it's exactly what I got and I loved every minute of it. The suspense comes not from what is going to happen to the good people of Greenloop. You know right from page 1 that these people are going to be torn limb from limb by Sasquatch. The fun is waiting for it to happen. Every journal entry is essentially "I sure do love ...more
Margaret Schoen
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a review of an ARC from NetGalley.

An eruption of Mount Ranier leads to chaos in the Pacific Northwest, and to Greenloop, a small community of "smart homes" in the wilderness near Ranier park, being completely cut off from society. And then, things start getting weird. Strange sighting of...something...in the woods, with a terrible smell and terrifying howls. Mountain lions being torn limb from limb. And footprints that look human, but way too big to be believed.

Like World War Z, Brooks
Lois Lane
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3020-plan
World War Z is one of my favorite novels, so Iwas excited to read this. It did not disappoint. Like World War Z, it has a quasi-documentary style. Instead of interviews with numerous survivors, this work centers on one person—Kate, who is keeping a journal at the instruction of her therapist. The journal entries are interspersed with interviews and writings from other sources. The journal entries give a sense of Kate’s growing unease and the terror she and her neighbors come to feel as they are ...more
Victoria
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for granting my wish to read Max Brooks’ upcoming novel. I couldn’t wait to read it because I had loved World War Z so much. I don’t think Devolution quite lived up to that, but it was a fun read nonetheless. I enjoyed the narrative style, which was journal entries interspersed with expert interviews. That reminded me of World War Z’s approach, although I think focusing mainly on one character here might have made it less interesting to me. Overall, a fun ...more
Miranda
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all, I would expect nothing less from Max Brooks.

This is the story of a small community that has chosen to live off the grid, but when an unexpected natural disaster occurs, the community finds themselves pitted against a tribe of Sasquatch. This story is told through a series of journal entries and interviews.

I wasn't particularly fond of any of the characters, but I was enamored with the action which is precisely why I read Max Brooks. He writes with a scientific flare that is easy to
Em
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Huh! This is a fun book, in a gory, horrifying, survival kinda way. I said WHOA out loud a couple times. It’s no work of great literature, but it’s entertaining. It’s prime horror movie content. I don’t regret reading it, even though it didn’t really meet my expectations. There were a couple characters I wish we’d learned more about, but I enjoyed getting to know the folks the novel did take the time to focus on.
Mike
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Devolution begins with an eco-community that becomes extremely vulnerable to an anthropological terror awakened by a natural disaster. Author Max Brooks conceives a form of horrific entertainment, by adding gasoline to an environmental fire. Using a nontraditional format, interviews and journal passages make this novel read like a found footage horror movie. Readers will undeniably enjoy this hardcore tale of isolation and a raw vengeance to take back what once was theirs.
Deirdre Rosenberg
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everyone is excited for this one, I think! And for good reason- Max Brooks is awesome. I am really happy to let everyone know that this book is great. It is fast-paced and exciting. It has wonderful characters and feels real, much like WWZ felt real. I love that it’s about Bigfoot. That was such a fun angle. There is a dark humor to this novel, along with just a general darkness that adds a really nice grittiness to all of it.
Kmleeh
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a first time Max Brooks reader, let me just say wow. I loved this book from the slow burn introduction in the journal entries, smattered with interviews and other observations, down to the cliffhanger ending. While I wouldn't call this novel a horror novel, I will say it was so good it gave me nightmares. The characters were fully drawn and human, right down to bad decisions and growth.
Can't wait to read more from Brooks.
Linnaea
I won an advanced reader's copy so thanks Penguin Random House.

this book scared me, partly because I grew up in Bigfoot country only 15/20 miles east of Mount Saint Helens and who knows what large creature may be watching you from the woods. Also, Brooks does a really good job showing how modern society depends on open roads and open ports.
The book is written in a similar style to World War Z- this time it is journal entries with interviews intersected.
Ava
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was just a really fun book. I love stories told through interviews and diaries, and reading about a Sasquatch Massacre was as horrifying and delightful as it sounds. I was surprised by how well-rounded the characters were, as it's sometimes hard to really develop characterization in this format.
Jocelyn
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-five, ebooks, arc-s
Welp, I've officially read a book about Bigfoot. And not just Bigfoot, but Bigfoot (Bigfeet?) in the midst of a violent volcanic eruption. It was a truly fantastic combo that was so much to read!

Full review to come closer to the publication date!
Becky Spratford
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Star review coming to the April issue of Library Journal and the blog.
Matt
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A few of the characters were unbelievably stupid, but otherwise, a really great, riveting read.

• The Only Good Indians
  • The Glass Hotel
  • The Return
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • Providence
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • The Dilemma
  • Astrid Lindgren
  • Survivor Song
  • The Monsters We Make
Max Brooks is The New York Times bestselling author of The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z. He has been called ”the Studs Terkel of zombie journalism.“

Brooks is the son of director Mel Brooks and the late actress Anne Bancroft. He is a 1994 graduate of Pitzer College. His wife, Michelle, is a screenwriter, and the couple have a son, Henry.