Start by marking “Nanaville: Adventures in Grandparenting” as Want to Read:

Nanaville: Adventures in Grandparenting

Mother, mother-in-law, grandmother--the Pulitzer-winning columnist and #1 bestselling author reflects on the roles we play throughout our lives, sharing personal stories and advice on the special joys and complexities of middle age.

It's a little challenging to suss out why exactly it can be so magical. . . . All I know is: The hand. The little hand that takes yours, small
Expected publication: April 23rd 2019 by Random House

Win a Copy of This Book

• Nanaville by Anna Quindlen
    Release date: Apr 23, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win one of 50 hard cover copies of NANAVILLE by Anna Quindlen!

A bighearted book of wisdom, wit, and insight, celebrating the lo

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 1787 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 02 - Apr 23, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Nanaville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nanaville

Kasa Cotugno
    Anna Quindlen is one of those writers that makes a reader happy that she is so prolific. As with Dani Shapiro, she is as proficient in memoir as she is in fiction, and this lovely sharing memoir of grandmother-hood is a good example. Having been a prize-winning journalist, she writes in a style I appreciate, in dispensing information in fine language without padding.

Here she discusses the role of the grandmother, how the hardest part of the role is stepping aside as an auxiliary, not performing
    Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Recommends it for: Toni
    Shelves: non-fiction
    Essentially the literary equivalent of a grandmother proudly whipping out a wallet full of photos (or, more accurately these days, an IPhone) of her much adored grandson. Prolific author Anna Quindlen pens a love letter to her role as paternal grandma of Arthur, the first child of her son and daughter-in-law. As expected, being a Nana is a title she covets and Arthur a child upon whom she devotes much love and attention. Although this a quick read without any new or profound revelations, even I, ...more
    Donna Davis
    Ah geez. I always love her work, but this might be the one I love most. Full review by pub date.
    Mainlinebooker
    Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: non-fiction
    This arrived at the perfect time as I will be entering Nanaville in less than two weeks. With her typical warm and candid style, she delivers a heartwarming and entertaining look at entering this new phase of her life. No longer the primary caregiver, she learns how to sit back, button her lip, and play a new role as her grandson's Nana.For me, it reinforced the need to "wear beige and keep your mouth shut."Respecting the parent' decisions even if it clashes with your own allows you to have more ...more
    Jo Dervan
    Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Anna Quindlen became a grandmother when her oldest son and his Chinese wife had their first child, Arthur. Quindlen, who soon became know an Nana describes life in Nanaville, a place where she learns to be a grandmother. She takes us from the experience of seeing Arthur for the first time to the point where she learns that her son and daughter in law are expecting a second child, a girl.

This book could serve as a guide for first time grandparents as it contains advice on what to do and what not
    Candy
    Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Wept through most of this one ... and loved it, of course. Quindlen understands the finer points of grandparenting ... a balancing act, but so worthwhile!
    Chris
    Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    Before our first grandchild was born 17 years ago, my husband and I signed up for grandparenting classes at the hospital where our daughter was going to give birth. We left the class one evening with a meaty kernel of advice: “Keep your mouth shut.”
    It’s a mantra Anna Quindlen advocates in “Nanaville: Adventures in Grandparenting,” an accessible, sweet read chock full of wisdom about Quindlen’s toe-dip into the blessed waters of grandparenthood.
    “There are really only two commandments of Nanaville
    m
    Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: e-books
    Fours stars for this memoir of grandparenthood by essayist, novelist, and besotted nana Anna Quindlen. Her fans, particularly loyal readers of her columns in the New York Times and Newsweek (later collected in book form), will enjoy this update on her life and family and her thoughtful, personal, often funny musings on becoming and being a grandmother. In addition to being a very enjoyable read, this book would also be a great gift for a Nana-to-be. (Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for thi ...more
    Terry
    Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I have long been a fan of Anna Quindlen's and was thrilled to win an ARC edition of this book in a goodreads giveaway. Even though I never had children of my own and my step-grandchildren all have other grandparents, I still immensely enjoyed every chapter in this keenly observed and wittily written book; definitely a book you want to share with all your grandparent friends.
    Karen
    Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    5 stars....and not just because I am Nana. She totally gets it, including the contrast between her upbringing and her children's to today's parenting and grandparenting, terms that didn't exist until recently. Loved this gem!
    Terry Swindell
    Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This is a beautiful book. Anna Quindlen has captured the essence of being a Nana in short little snippets. I’m a fellow Nana, and I highly recommend this book!
    Julie Barnard
    Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A fun book especially for grandmothers, though not as good as other books by Anna Quindlen. Worth reading, though.
    Marney Stoumbelis
    Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019-books
    'The best'-what grandparents whisper to each other over the baby's head.
    Kirsten Cutler
    Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
    A passionate paean to grandparenting filled with wise words and garnished with delightful anecdotes.
    Tasha Pum
    Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I won this book in the giveaway! I absolutely adored Anna Quindlen's stories of being a grandmother. Quindlen charmed me throughout the book and left me with many smiles.
    Jan Thullen
    Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Anna Quindlen is proud to be a nana. This is a charming love letter to being a grandparent and a memoir of her early experience.

Arthur, her grandchild, has another set of grandparents who speak Mandarin. AQ and her husband took Mandarin lessons until their treasured tutor moved away. I admire their diligence in taking on this extra task.

This is a gem of book.

Thank you to the publisher and netgalley for an advance copy.
    Apr 16, 2019
    Christine
    Apr 15, 2019
    Kathy Clevenger
    Apr 10, 2019
    Anna Quindlen is a novelist and journalist whose work has appeared on fiction, nonfiction, and self-help bestseller lists. She is the author of eight novels: Object Lessons, One True Thing, Black and Blue, Blessings, Rise and Shine, Every Last One, Still Life with Bread Crumbs, and Miller’s Valley. Her memoir Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, published in 2012, was a number one New York Times bests ...more
    “It's a complicated relationship, being a good grandparent, because it hinges on a series of other relationships... Because being a grandparent is determined by the relationship your child has with you, partly determined by the one a son or daughter has with his or her spouse, partly determined by the relationship you have with the person your child has chosen to have a child with.” 0 likes