Start by marking “Everybody Loves Kamau! (The Real Thing collection)” as Want to Read:
Everybody Loves Kamau! (The Real Thing collection)

Everybody Loves Kamau! (The Real Thing collection)

Kamau and Melissa’s love was real. But so was her grandfather’s prejudice. In this funny, moving essay, W. Kamau Bell, the host of CNN’s United Shades of America, shares his very personal story of culture clash, family tradition, and racial bias.

When the black comedian first meets the beloved Sicilian grandfather of his Italian American girlfriend, Melissa, the wrong spark

Published May 28th 2018 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about Everybody Loves Kamau!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everybody Loves Kamau!

Stephen Matlock
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great story to carry around with you when you want to read something fun and insightful, poignant and redemptive.

"Everybody Loves Kamau!"

Indeed.

I always believed this, ever since I first started watching/listening when he had his first TV show, and I felt like I was one of his friends because I watched it while no one else I knew was. Surely he knew I was loyal! And surely he knew that I was one of the people he could count on.

So this short piece by Mr. Bell intrigued me because--well, not eve
Darryl
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
W. Kamau Bell is a former stand up comic and current author and radio and television series host, who is probably best known as the star of the CNN documentary series United Shades of America, which is in its third season. This short story, which was published earlier this week as part of the Amazon Original Stories series on love in the 21st century, is centered on Bell, his wife Melissa, and her Sicilian grandfather, who originally did not accept or acknowledge Kamau when she introduced him t ...more
Nicole O
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really short read, but I needed something light and easy after the last book I picked up!

This isn't a novel or short story, but more of an essay regarding Kamau Bell's take on relationship with his white, feminist wife and her family. It's comedic, slightly touching, and fairly interesting. I highlighted a passage in the book that describes Kamau's first interaction with his wife's Fox news watching, Sicilian grandfather that's cringe-inducing, but perfectly encapsulates the experienc
Paul M. Mann
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Raw and Honest

I do love Kamau, but that is not the reason I so loved this book. He is a comedian, and here he uses his comedic talent and insights to delve into personal issues with surprisingly raw and difficult honesty, confronting awkward truths that in the end brought him closer not only to his wife’s grandfather, but her as well. As the white father of a bi-racial daughter who identifies as African-American (her, not me), I appreciate and take my teachable moments where I can get them, and
Caitlin
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a quick, sweet, little slice of life read. I really enjoy Kamau's voice, it it comes through in writing very well. It's a reminder of complex family relationships that we find ourselves in. I could definitely keep reading this, so I am looking forward to reading his other book!
Terri
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Made me cry. Don’t read the hype description and be patient through the beginning “knife” part. Good story.
Claire
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this little bb novel. Kamau’s voice and humor shine right through. Nice personal anecdote that gives perspective on his life as well as how we can all grow and change.
Kayo
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Jacquey Harkness
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nobody does HUMAN better than Kamau

I fell in love with Kamau and his perspective when he had a nightly show on cable. He has such an honest and clear vision of the world around him combined with a genuine curiosity and love for his fellow man that it is sometimes overwhelming. If more people could value the world the way he does, we might actually be able to let go of our pettiness and appreciate our how rich and rewarding our differences could make our lives. I suspect this story is an archetyp
Joan
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For that hourly commute

For about an hour or less of reading time this short story by W. Kamau Bell offers a fun, insightful, and sometimes tumultuous journey of a grandson (Kamau) trying to be accepted into the family by the patriarch (grandfather-in-law). Similar to the contents of his other works i.e CNN series, stand-up, podcasts, etc., Kamau is confronted on the issues of race and identity in America only this it's happening right at home with his in-laws. However, the outcome is a happy end
Christina
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Surupa Mukhopadhyay
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If only all stories could be so overwhelming and truthful and happy. IF everyone could have sucha happy ending. And if everyone could overcome their dislike, hatred, proudness, ego, etc. that stop them from loving people for who they actually are, and see them apart from race, colour, gender, sexuality, religion, and God alone knows what else that divides the current times we live in, the world would be such a better place to live in. Thank you Kamau Bell, for such a beautiful piece, showing tha ...more
Bianca
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really thoroughly enjoyed this short story. It's very relatable and I really enjoy his writing style in telling this experience in his life and how he moved forward from it positively. Interracial dating is so common now-a-days that you have a tendency to forget that there are still older generations of people out there that were not brought up in a more tolerant world. And society still has a long way to go. This is definitely a positive read that I would recommend. This was a nice introducti ...more
Pamela Scott
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it

I really enjoyed this essay. Melissa’s grandfather refuses to speak to Kamau at first. I was expecting the racism to be a little more obvious and in your face. It must have been hard to be completely dismissed by someone who is so important in the life of the person you love. I enjoyed reading about how the grandfather’s prejudice is gradually overcome. Everybody Love Kamau! is sad and funny in equal parts.
Theresa M Desautels
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really hate comedy shows and comedians

I think they are mean and cruel.

Having said that, if I'd known it was supposed to be funny,I wouldn't have chosen this book and I would not have laughed myself silly or recommended it to my husband, who does like comedy.

It was funny, heartfelt, poignant, cruelty-free, an uplifting time in the midst of all else going on. If you lucky enough to hear the audio read by the author so much the better.

I can't believe I gave a 5 star rating to a comedian. Is the w
Bill
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
I loved it

Kamau Bell’s TV show is one of the shows I like to watch, which led me to this short book. It’s just about perfect. It has a gentle approach to the issue of racism through a family connection. The story is told charmingly in Mr. Bell’s authentic, friendly voice. The illustrations are excellent too, although there are too few of them. (That’s been true of every “Kindle in Motion” book I’ve read so far.)
Jeani
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pure Kamau

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this as I am a huge fan of his show. Later I found I could have elected to have it read to me by Kamau but I didn't need that as the whole time I was reading I heard in Kamau's voice. This essay was written in the same tone and reflection Kamau exhibits in his show. A must read for Kamau fans!
Diane Adams
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had this on my ipad, and somehow forgot that I hadn't listened to it! Definitely one of my favorite Amazon Originals. Really made me feel as though I could've been hanging out at one of the family gatherings & met all of the people he mentions. And a light, but realistic, description of interracial dating...
Chava
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A truly touching account (I did tear up at the end) of Kamau's experience with dealing with racism from his grandfather-in-law and how they both overcame their initial impressions of one another. I haven't watched Kamau's show nor have I seen his comedy, but I'm going to have to change that. He has an exceptional way of looking at things.
Melissa Prescott
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve always liked Bell’s stand up, so when I saw this on Amazon Prime Reading, I had to download it. This is a great story with cool animations when read on the Kindle Fire. It’s more of a narrative essay than a short story or a book. But I enjoyed it as a quick read about race, interracial relationships, and generational differences. Lighthearted yet full of insight!
Shannon
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
W. Kamau Bell is one who I've seen off and on television and I have even watched a couple episodes of his show that put him in some very interesting situations. I knew before coming across this that he is an interesting person with a unique life to share.

Check out my full review on my blog For the Love of Words.
Lytton Bell
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Out of all these free Amazon Prime "Real Thing" short pieces, this is the only one that is giving me the feels. It is clear why everybody love Kamau, who is thoughtful, articulate and emotionally generous where anyone else would be bitter. I hope he takes his writing career more seriously in the future...or...dare I hope...he would consider politics??
Theresa
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Life is for Winning

I loved this story. Racism is a real thing - even if you haven't experienced it. Love & empathy helps us see clearer. Everyone who lives in the USA should read this book.
Lori Boren
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Kamau

Of course everybody loves Kamau. Funny, insightful and big of heart, he is hard to resist. Having read only a free Kindle sample I am excited to read the rest of it. Based on what I’ve read so far I wholeheartedly recommend it. You’ll love Kamau, too.
Jo Gardner
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Breaking Ba...rriers

Five stars to Kamau Bell for this wonderfully sensitive memoir. Interspersed with his well-honed wit is an insightful view into a painful life-situation, and the journey through it to deeper understanding of acceptance and forgiveness.
Katie  Dickey
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Made me cry

I wasn't expecting equal parts funny and feels but that is what I got. This story resonates with me on my personal level and I'm so glad Kamau took the time to share it. It was so sweet, special, and authentic.
Margie
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Family is complicated

This is an American story, well-told by the delightful W. Kamau Bell. Everything I’ve heard from him was worthy my t8me, and this is no different. I recommend it.
Lisa
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everybody does love kamau!

Beautiful story of family and love and respect and race in 21st century America. If you enjoy Mr. Bells work on CNN, you’ll love this look at his family life.
Bookphile
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Funny, sweet, and touching. I really enjoyed this story about how Bell's wife's grandfather came to grips with their relationship, as well as a chance to walk in Bell's shoes. A really nice, quick read.
Salena
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

It amazes me how a person can really get to know the real you not just by the color of your skin, and actually try and not let racism get in their head. I love this book and how he earned his in laws trust and welcome in the family.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Boyfriends of Dorothy (The Real Thing collection)
  • Neighbors (The Real Thing collection)
  • Love & Estrogen (The Real Thing collection)
  • The Hillside (Warmer collection)
  • At the Bottom of New Lake (Warmer collection)
  • Payback (Southside collection)
  • After Words (Missing collection)
  • The Brick Slayer
  • Cellmates (Southside collection)
  • Boca Raton
  • A Museum Adventure (Library Mouse #4)
  • The Soul is Not a Smithy
  • Herbs for the Home Medicine Chest
  • The Way the World Ends (Warmer Collection #1)
  • Identity Thief (This Can't Be Happening collection)
  • The Phantom Coach: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Ghost Stories
  • The Kids Don't Stand a Chance: Growing Up in Teach For America (Kindle Single)
  • No Pirates Allowed! Said Library Lou
W. Kamau Bell is a socio-political stand-up comedian and television host whose most prominent work focuses on race and politics in America.
“Most knives that are in your kitchen just push their way through tomatoes like President Trump through a crowd of world leaders, both leaving a confused mess in their wake.” 1 likes