Start by marking “The Message (Animorphs, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Message (Animorphs, #4)

The Message (Animorphs #4)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  5,216 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
It all started with the dreams. But Cassie didn't pay much attention to them. She and her friends had all been having weird dreams since they'd first learned to morph. Maybe it was just some crazy side effect.
Published October 1996 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Message, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Message

Ashley
The Message is our first Cassie book, and that means it's time to question the morality of our actions. Hurray.

In all honesty, when I was a kid, sometimes Cassie's books frustrated me a little bit. I thought she was a wet blanket and her hair was boring. I could never understand why she was always questioning everything, like, shouldn't it just be obvious what's right and wrong? Why are you so upset all the time, girl? Calm down and just enjoy turning into a dolphin JEEZ LOUISE.

Now, though, I re
Ben Babcock
Apr 02, 2015 Ben Babcock rated it really liked it
One of the highlights of re-reading this series is the intense 1990s nostalgia it’s bringing back. These books have aged so much, and it’s no one’s fault but the march of time and technology. In The Visitor, Rachel talks in code by inviting Jake over to listen to a new CD. And here in The Message, Jake produces a VCR tape of a nightly news show—kids, I won’t bother explaining what VCRs were, but let’s just say the modern equivalent would be “pulling up a clip on YouTube.”

This technological ennui
Julie
May 06, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And now, still following the pattern, Cassie finds her reason for fighting (it's like loyalty missions in Mass Effect, I swear to god). This book always lodged pretty well in my memory and I really like it, because WHALES and DOLPHINS and SHARKS, and another terrifying alien morph from Visser Three, and bonus: the book introduces one of my favourite fictional characters of practically all time (Ax ♥).

Favourite quotes now added:
(view spoiler)
Jenny Clark
Jan 13, 2017 Jenny Clark rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, animorphs
Parts are starting to get repetitive, like the whole "We can't tell you our names, ect", but I suppose that, and the reminder that Tom is a Controller and Tobias is stuck in morph are needed, since not everyone starts at the beginning.
As usual, awesome description of the morphing, and the animal mind. I love how Cassie has the conflict of if morphing something as intelligent as a dolphin is right. Also, the dolphin/whale interactions were lovely. I also enjoyed the Cassie/Jake scenes. It was in
michelle
Sep 16, 2016 michelle rated it liked it
The Library Ladies
(Originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com.)

Narrator: Cassie

Plot: Cassie and Tobias have been having strange dreams of the ocean. And when the Animorphs begin to see signs that the Yeerks, too, are showing interest in a specific part of the ocean, they decide they’d better check it out. They morph dolphins, and with the help of their whale friend, they discover a piece of the Andalite home ship sunk to the bottom of the ocean. And even more importantly, there’s an Andalite on board, but not th
Julie Decker
Aug 05, 2014 Julie Decker rated it it was amazing
Cassie and Tobias have been hearing a weird distress call coming from under the sea. It turns out that it's a stranded Andalite ship, and Cassie, in an unusual position of decision-making, has to figure out what to do. The Animorphs run a mission to investigate the submerged ship, morphed as dolphins, and though they successfully enter the ship and find an abandoned and scared teenaged Andalite, the Yeerks have found the ship too. The Animorphs and their new friend Ax face Visser Three briefly, ...more
Marchel
Nov 02, 2010 Marchel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: remaja, adventure
It's the fourth story about Animorphs. It's Cassie turn to tell their story.

A nice description about sea, its creature (whale, shark, dolphin etc.), and it is very interesting to know about dolphin feeling.

K.A. Applegate description about sea's creature is great. It's not common to tell a story about sea's creature. What I mean is, we have less knowledge about dolphin and whale and its point of view.

Yes, we know that dolphin have sense, and have ability to think, and often to jump out from water
Nikki
Jan 17, 2016 Nikki rated it really liked it
I was ready for this to be the first one I didn't like because Cassie is my least favourite narrator, but I totally enjoyed it. I feel like her narration, maybe a teensie bit moreso than the others, gives great insight into the characters, because she is gentle, caring and good at reading people. I also relate to her not wanting to make decisions or be in charge, because she doesn't want to be responsible for people's lives.

I found some of the morph action bits a bit far fetched this time aroun
Nia
Feb 06, 2016 Nia rated it really liked it
This book is little too far fetched for me, but maybe it's just because I don't connect with Cassie as I do with the others. I really enjoyed her perspective and a peek into her mind, she's far nicer than I could've ever imagined.

I liked how nature was brought in this time, it's telling of how the Earth will do anything to protect those who are her children. I sorta believe in that and I kinda loved that bit.

Another great Animorphs book, as usual.
Matt Mazenauer
Feb 10, 2015 Matt Mazenauer rated it really liked it
Good: The ocean is very dangerous, some of our first glances at the mythology of animals being more than we humans suspect, clever strategy and planning to get to the sea floor.
Less-than-good: Ultra convenience of an Andalite survivor chilling in Sandy the Squirrel's Bikini Bottom glass dome park.
August Busch
Apr 21, 2015 August Busch rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
It's funny this one was one of my favorites when I was younger. I think it was because it was set in the ocean. But wow, how time has changed. So far this was my least favorite. The plot devices were awful! Getting messages via dreams... cliche but OK. Figuring out were the ship is from a whale... Ok lets put some more effort into this.
Nic
Jan 08, 2015 Nic rated it it was amazing
This was actually the first Animorphs book I ever read, purchased for me almost a decade ago by a clueless Mom who knew I liked books and dolphins. Thanks, mom.

Cassie was always my favorite character, because I was so jealous of her cool homelife. Plus, Ax is introduced in this book, and who doesn't like an alien... Lll... LEE UN. ALEEYUN.
Issam
Nov 14, 2011 Issam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To the older fans re-reading the series, I have compiled the reprint edit list here: www.hiracdelest.com/missions/books/relaunch/04.htm
Jackie Krasuski
Jul 24, 2011 Jackie Krasuski rated it it was amazing
I do not know how I ever would have survived junior high without this fantastic science fiction series. Maybe the story quality went down as the book numbers got higher, but the idea that aliens were invading our planet secretly... it was almost good enough for a young teenager to believe.
Stephanie
    Cassie's turn to narrate, and to find her reason to fight the Yeerks. But more than that, both her and Tobias are receiving a message in their dreams, a call for help. And it's up to Cassie to decide if that call is real, and if it is worth risking all the Animorphs' lives to find out who or what is calling for help.

It's only now that I get the joke about the dolphins names' at The Gardens... they're named after the characters of "Friends".

Some more fun/favorite quotes from this book
Jaxson Fawkes
Jul 18, 2017 Jaxson Fawkes rated it liked it
Kristen Darienzo
Jul 20, 2017 Kristen Darienzo rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-applegate
"It isn’t necessary to believe whales are as smart as humans to believe that they are great. They don’t have to know words to sing songs. They don’t have to be anything but what they are to be magnificent. And even though I don’t really know what a soul is, I know this – if humans have them, then so do whales."

Cool, cool, cool. We get awesome new dolphin morphs. Crazy new alien attacks. Plus a fun new Animorph who is literally adorable.
Kate Lang
May 14, 2017 Kate Lang rated it really liked it
Shelves: animorphs
Melissa Grant
Jun 05, 2017 Melissa Grant rated it liked it
re-reading this childhood favourite series
Amalia Dillin
Dec 17, 2016 Amalia Dillin rated it really liked it
Yay Ax! And the dolphin morph! I always loved this take on whales, too.
Whitney
A voice calls to Cassie and Tobias from the ocean. They believe it may be an Andalite, especially after a piece of an Andalite ship washes up on shore. But the Yeerks also think there's an Andalite in the ocean, and the Animorphs must race against them to see who gets there first.

Plot

Tobias and Cassie are getting strange dreams from something in the ocean calling for help. They believe it to be an Andalite, so The Message is about them finding out how to get to the middle of the ocean and rescu
Fake Name
Mar 06, 2017 Fake Name rated it liked it
Shockingly, I discovered that in fact I really do like these books and it wasn't just a childhood phase.
So much darker than I remembered. I can't believe how young I was when I first read them.
Natalie
As far as the personality of these characters are concerned, Cassie's is the most . . . interesting to say the least. She can be labeled as the 'tree-hugger' or the 'peacekeeper' of the group but the books reveal that she's a little more complex than that. She does have insecurities and her troubles are something that I've never considered her having.

The books starts off with Tobias and Cassie hearing this call for help, although we don't know why only those two can hear it, but the kids suspec
Swankivy
Aug 29, 2008 Swankivy rated it it was amazing
The Animorphs respond to telepathic distress calls from an alien under the sea. As if their lives aren't already weird enough. . . .

Notable moments and inconsistencies:

Cassie points out that there are poisoned wolves being rescued in her barn. These same wolves figured into the plot in the previous book, but only one was mentioned as having been poisoned and the other had been shot.

Rachel's bulletin board used to have cute little inspirational quotes on it. Now the wise sayings include battle ad
Alan Gilfoy
Jun 29, 2014 Alan Gilfoy rated it really liked it
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
Technically 4.5?

description
Brought to you by The Moonlight Library!

Cassie’s our gentle, empathetic narrator in Book #4: The Message. She’s been having weird dreams, like someone familiar is calling to her from the ocean. Tobias has been having the dreams as well. The Animorphs decide it’s a lost Andalite and go off to rescue him in dolphin morphs.

Cassie was my favourite Animorph as kid. I loved her. I loved her moral wallowing and her desperate need not to be responsible. But now I find it a bit annoying.
Janelle Dazzlepants
Caitlin
The first Cassie book! Cassie was something of an acquired taste for me as a kid, and according to what I've heard in the Animorphs fan community, some readers never acquired that taste. While Marco is the most reluctant Animorph for personal reasons, Cassie's misgivings about the fight have more to do with the moral justification for their war. In this book, she finds her reason to fight.
Brief plot rundown: In the form of vivid dreams, Cassie receives a cry for help coming from the ocean. Not
Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie
Warning: This is a review of the fourth book in the series. Therefore, it might contain spoilers from the first 3 books.

This might be my favourite Animorphs book so far. It's narrated by Cassie, who's my favourite character. She's the one character who I don't find has any annoying characteristics, so her narration seems more neutral to me; I wasn't made constantly aware of the narrator the way I was with some of the others. The Message also has a nice plot arc that I felt was somewhat lacking i
Animorphs Readalo...: The Message 2 13 Jan 03, 2015 11:23AM
  • Pursuing Amy (Replica, #2)
  • Dragon (Five Ancestors, #7)
  • Book of Names (Diadem, Worlds of Magic, #1)
  • The Search for Snout (Alien Adventures, #3)
  • The Seeker (Roswell High, #3)
  • Invasion of the Body Squeezers, Part 2 (Goosebumps Series 2000, #5)
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p ...more
More about Katherine Applegate...

Animorphs (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)
  • The Visitor (Animorphs, #2)
  • The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)
  • The Predator (Animorphs, #5)
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • The Stranger (Animorphs, #7)
  • The Alien (Animorphs, #8)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • The Android (Animorphs, #10)
  • The Forgotten (Animorphs, #11)

“ Tobias asked.
"Weird? Weird?" Marco crowed. "The talking bird wants to know if getting information on
the location of an alien from a whale, that you've just saved from sharks, by turning into
dolphins . . . You're suggesting that's weird?”
38 likes