Start by marking “The Andalite Chronicles (Animorphs Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Andalite Chronicles (Animorphs Chronicles, #1)

The Andalite Chronicles

(Animorphs #12.5)

Relates the story of Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul, the Andalite war-prince responsible for creating the human animorphs on Earth.
Published December 1997 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Andalite Chronicles, please sign up.
Robin Yes. in my opinion its one of the better books from the entire series.

Start your review of The Andalite Chronicles (Animorphs Chronicles, #1)
Ashley
Okay, first, I feel like I need to preface this review by confessing that if I had read this book for the first time at age thirty-one, I wouldn't be giving it five stars. My rating is entirely colored by my intense nostalgic feelings of love for it. As an adult reading it as a part of an ongoing series, this is a solid book that does some really cool things. But for a kid who'd never read any science-fiction before, this book absolutely GOBSMACKED me. It's the reason I love science fiction.

Your
Meta Vashti
Aug 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
Before there was Harry Potter, my days were filled with Animorphs. Yes, I grew up loving this adventure. Kids who could turn into animals, alien beings, kidnappings, wild adventure, who wouldn't love it.
Aximili
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
I loved the Animorph series, and this was one of the best of them.

Elfangor's story is similar to the Animorph one as it is also a coming of age story, but I enjoyed Elfangor's perspective and commentry immensly. The look into the Andalite culture along with the Taxxons, Horik-Bajir, and Yeerks was enlightening and make them much more realistic characters. I liked how Applegate didn't gloss over the darker side of the Andalites and presented the other aliens in a different light. I especially
Julie
hahhaaha oh no oh noooooooooo I finished this book teary and emotional in a Pret A Manger. I HAVE SO MANY FEELINGS. Right when you think you didn't care so much about Elfangor -- or, perhaps, did care about him but had gotten over his death -- then this breaks you right along those mended cracks and makes it so much worse.

You should all read this one after #13! I read it out of order, because my ebook was junked, so I came to it about ten books late. It's big, more than twice the size of a
Ben Babcock
So … yeah. This book made me cry, at the end.

I remember reading the hard copy version of this as a kid and marvelling at how much thicker it was than your typical Animorphs novel. Don’t get me wrong—by that age I was already mainlining The Lord of the Rings and Dune, so I was already acquainted with long novels. Until now, though, Applegate had intentionally been keeping her stories not just short, but brief.

The Andalite Chronicles shook up that format, introducing a subseries of Animorphs that
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
description
Brought to you by The Moonlight Library!

This is the story of Elfangor, from his beginning as an aristh, an Andalite space cadet, to his time on Earth that no one but the Ellimist knows about. This is the story of what happened before the Animorphs.

The Andalite Chronicles, strictly speaking, isn’t essential reading in the Animorphs series. But if you want to know more about Visser Three’s host, Alloran, and how he came to be a mind-slave to one of the highest-ranking Yeerks in the Empire, then
Weathervane
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animorphs
Interesting, thrilling, and at times, moving.

Yet this book is quite the mixed bag. The prose is, perhaps, below-average for the series. Repetition, bland phrasing, overuse of exclamation points, and lots of onomatopoeia are a few knocks against the style.

The plot is very intricate. Elfangor is thrown from one end of the universe to another, hardly ever having time to catch his breath. Curiously enough, though, while this book primarily concerns alien species, nothing is that foreign. Contrary to
Ashley
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
At the risk of appearing childish, I've started rereading this series. Judging by this book, I'm not surprised I loved it when I was younger!

If you're looking for a book with challenging style or diction, this is not it. This is a story for kids, but at the same time manages to bring up a few good questions dealing with morality, mainly: "What's the point of winning if, in winning, you lose what you're fighting for?" More simply/similarly: Do the ends justify the means?

This book describes the
Jonathan Pongratz
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ya
Original review on Jaunts & Haunts

5/5

Five Alien Race-saving stars for this book!

Nom, nom, nom, I ate this book UP! This book was just what I needed after a somewhat disappointing experience with another recent read, and I just have to say, wow!

The Andalite Chronicles was a great scifi book, full of adventure, heartache, and is a great coming-of-age story.

This book takes place before the Animorphs received their powers, centering on Elfangor as our MC. Elfangor is just a lowly Aristh along
Amantha
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
What a depressing book. I mean seriously depressing. It took me ages to read just because every minute of it is a real drag: Chapman is inherently evil (in spite of what we learned in book 2); Arbron getting trapped in Taxxon morph; Elfangor being responsible for The Abomination; Elfangor and Tobias' first and last meeting. Also wtf - technically Loren was still a kid (mentally and emotionally if not physically) when she had Tobias? That never really registered with me as a kid. It was never ...more
Z
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Pretty darn epic.

More than pretty darn epic. We have cross-species love, insane time travel, alternate universes, bad guys and good guys in close quarters, betrayal... Basically, we have it all.
Faye
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books from childhood. Katherine did an exceptional way of telling such kind of story to kids.

---re-read
Let's get this one by one, character by character, story by story. Because everyone has made me really mad. XD

Elfangor
The story was told from Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul's perspective. The beginning of the story shows him as a young Andalite aristh who wants to be a hero. Elfangor as a kid is a serious guy, with the great pride of the Andalite, and minds grandly about
Juushika
As a prequel (with a frame narrative), this has a certain degree of predictability, and Animorphs worldbuilding, particularly for the various races, tends to be repetitive and unambitious. Those caveats aside, this is great. The book was originally published in three parts, and while the thirds don't stand alone the rises and falls in the action (and longer page count) make for a lot of book in the familiar readable MG style. The settings are diverse and expansive, particularly the long stay on ...more
LONELY TOURIST
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animorphs
hmmm mm you know, i have... a bias. against certain tropes. i really hate them. a lot. i thought i was gonna go three stars most of the way, just on principle, but this book? it's REALLY good. this review is pointless, i just wanted to go on the record saying that about a time travel book. it's REALLY GOOD.
Daniela (Lightweaver)
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was way better than i expected! I thought it was just gonna be some lame money-grabbing spinoff! The plot was intriguing and there was heaps of character development and some humour as well. And even though i vaguely knew how it would end, it still surprised me. I read all three books in one day.
Dave
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I reread this book until it was in tatters, but somehow forgot it existed until just this moment
The Library Ladies
(Originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com.)

Narrator: Elfangor

Plot: This book is twice as long as a usual Animorph book, so strap in for a long post folks!

Similarly to how we first met his little brother Ax, we find Elfangor aboard an Andalite Dome ship, an aristh eager to prove himself. When the Dome ship comes across a Skrit Na raider ship, Elfangor and his fellow aristh, Arbron are tasked to board it, as they are small enough to navigate the cramped quarters. Aboard, they discover two human
Ariel
Dec 20, 2007 rated it liked it
I don't know if I'd give this book five stars now, but Andalite Chronicles was my favorite book as a teenager. (I read it even more times than Martin the Warrior.) As I recall, this Animorphs installment looks back at the late Elfangor, the Andalite that gave the Animorphs the power to morph into animals and fight the parasitic Yeerks, and the clever, destined connections his past has to the Animorphs in present day.

I loved Katherine Applegate because, like so many fabulous young adult authors,
Amalia Dillin
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Man. Elfangor really had an adventure as an Aristh, that's for sure.
I really liked this as a background context filler, and a greater glimpse into the world beyond Earth's invasion. I wish we'd seen a little bit more development in Loren and Elfangor's relationship -- but I think that's a product of the age group for whom this was written. Also a product of my desire to have an epic inter-species love story (view spoiler).

I kind of wish I had this in
Melissa F.
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is, without question, one of the best books of the entire Animorphs series. I can still viscerally recall how I felt when I first read it (as a gangly, awkward, bookwormy 12 year old), the intensity of my shock at several key moments. Any love I have for science fiction largely came from this series, and this book was a huge part of that. It was an adventure in every way, and Elfangor's emotional journey meant as much to me as his physical one.
Jaimie
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read the entire animorph series. This was by far, the best, and most interesting one. I love the Andalite world....the Hork Bajirs are my absolute favorite.
Seth Knox
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fond memories from elementary school days.
Nikki
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is such an epic story, and I still remember being blown away when I first read it. It's kind of sad, and has a lot of defeat in there, but there's a spark of hope you never lose either.
Katelynn
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yeah no that was brutal actually haha
Erin
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Out of all the books I've reread from this series, this one is so far the absolute best.

It has some of everything: friendship, romance, cameraderie, family, and aliens learning to appreciate each other for their differences as well as for the things that make them alike. There's triumph, there's hope, there's horror, and there are more than a few laugh-out-loud moments as well as a fair number of tearjerkers. Maybe it's just because the last couple of Animorphs books I read were really
holliehocks
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 4.75 stars
Link to full review here

As a last resort, an Andalite war prince breaks Andalite law and gives morphing power to five human children. But this story isn't about the children, this is before they were even born. Written about a year and half after the first book in the series first comes out, readers get a look at Elfangor’s life, and how he ended up dying in that construction site on earth. As his hirac delest (final statement), Elfangor records his memories of the past
Moxie
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elfangor Good. War Crimes Bad.

This book, overall, was one of the best in the Animorphs series. It makes me so sad we don't get more of Elfangor throughout the series. He's not really all that interesting compared to any other character, but Loren makes up for it by being amazing and perfect. Also, he's an excellent foil to both Tobias and Ax in a delightfully sad way.

I have two complaints:
(view spoiler)
Swankivy
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This goes into the past of the man who "created" the Animorphs as we know them; he's Prince Elfangor, an Andalite we only met in the series proper when he was dying and giving morphing powers to the scared human kids. Finding out who he was before that and what all led him to that ultimate destiny was thrilling.

Notable moments and inconsistencies:

In the beginning of this book the narration says that Elfangor was "too weak to morph," which is a bit surprising since the Animorphs appear to have
Samantha Trillium ☂
I'm rereading the whole Animorph series, including the Chronicles that I kind of skipped when I first read this series.... this was my pre-Harry Potter book series and I think I skipped these books because I thought they were too big and intimidating Haha!!!
I'm glad I came came back and revisited it. I read this after reading Animorphs #15 but I think I could have read this after #13 when (view spoiler)
Thistle
Jan 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I'm reading this series for the first time as an adult. (Unfortunately) I have no fond memories coloring my reading.

My first DNF book of the year and my first DNF of the Animorphs series. I strongly doubt it will be the last of either of those. My patience for this series is growing thin.

I've now read 15 books in this series, and I just want something to happen. Not filling in backstory (as this book was). Not side stories. Not basically the same plot over and over and over again
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The First Journey (Alternamorphs, #1)
  • Search for Senna (Everworld, #1)
  • Aliens Ate My Homework (Alien Adventures, #1)
  • Beezer
  • The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail
  • Einstein's Violin
  • The Golden Ratio: The Story of Phi, the World's Most Astonishing Number
  • The Wall
  • More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)
  • The Secret World of Og
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Vostok
  • I Am Providence: The Life and Times of H.P. Lovecraft
  • I Am Providence: The Life and Times of H. P. Lovecraft, Volume 2
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • Rialto (Unbreakable Bonds, #8)
  • Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Circus of the Damned, Volume 2: The Ingenue
  • Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: The Laughing Corpse,  Volume 1: Animator
also published under the name Katherine Applegate

Animorphs (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)
  • The Visitor (Animorphs, #2)
  • The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)
  • The Message (Animorphs, #4)
  • The Predator (Animorphs, #5)
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • The Stranger (Animorphs, #7)
  • The Alien (Animorphs, #8)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • The Android (Animorphs, #10)
“So, you propel rocks at me! You'll be very sorry you ever propelled a rock at me, human.” 0 likes