Start by marking “From a Certain Point of View (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
From a Certain Point of View (Star Wars)

From a Certain Point of View (Star Wars Disney Canon Novel)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  4,228 Ratings  ·  888 Reviews
40 Years. 40 Stories.

In honor of the 40th Anniversary of Star Wars: A New Hope, this unique anthology features Star Wars stories by bestselling authors, trendsetting artists, and treasured voices from Star Wars’ literary history. Over 40 authors have lent their unique vision to 40 “scenes,” each retelling a different moment from the original Star Wars film, but with a twi
Published October 3rd 2017 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about From a Certain Point of View, please sign up.
Alex My opinion is that the book is appropriate for anyone old enough to watch Star Wars, but it may be better for younger children to read with a parent…moreMy opinion is that the book is appropriate for anyone old enough to watch Star Wars, but it may be better for younger children to read with a parent as some stories can be incredibly emotional, or even end with the character’s death.(less)
Desiree Yes! As with the movies, and much of the other Star Wars media, there's nothing graphically sexual or violent. Teens shouldn't have a hard time…moreYes! As with the movies, and much of the other Star Wars media, there's nothing graphically sexual or violent. Teens shouldn't have a hard time getting into it. (less)

Alejandro
The Force is strong in this anthology!

This anthology is a celebration for the 40 years of “Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope”, featuring 40 short stories written by 40 different famous authors (or pair of authors) using usually secondary characters (at least secondary in this particular film) where some of those are given names for the first time, but also there are some main characters, and each character tells their point of view of certain scene on the said movie. This anthology is part of
Lady*M

Possibly the most entertaining book in the new canon. While not every story is a ten, there are really no bad stories and which ones you will like will depend on (I have to) your point of view. Variety of styles and authors writing these stories - which range from tragic to outright hilarious - keep the things interesting.

The book also answers some questions fans have had for 40 years, but, in the real Star Wars fashion, also makes you ask new ones, like what would have happened if Yoda
Evan Morgan
Sep 23, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
We're getting a story with Qui-Gon, y'all. Written by Claudia Gray, nonetheless. If you didn't want to get the book before, you should now.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I.... love Star Wars but I’m going to take my time reading this. ongoing review below!

→ Raymus by Gary Whitta ←
Raymus Antilles attempts to spirit Princess Leia and the information of the Rogue One crew to Tatooine. This is a story about realizing that your life is about to be over. The fact that his wife and daughters are on Alderaan is perhaps the most tragic part of this entire story.
→ The Bucket by Christie Golden ←
→ The Sith Of Datawork by Ken Liu ←
→ Stories in the Sand by Griffin M
BMR, MSW, LSW
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
WILDLY uneven in the quality of the stories. Check it out from your library to read it before buying it. It did not even remotely match the anticipation of greatness (notice I did NOT say delusions of grandeur) I had when I first heard this anthology was being compiled.

Of the 40 tales, an infant's handful are really good or fracking great. Several were just insulting. Most were just okay. It takes more than inside jokes and catchphrases to make a good or great SW story regardless of the length.

R
Shadowdenizen
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Fair warning- rant ahead.

I have a complex relationship with Star Wars. While I mostly enjoy the saga overall (comics, books and movies) I often find alot of the installments of the saga to be cash-grabs or "events" more than actual labors of love. (Not to say that there hasn't been some stellar, creative people whose work I admire associated with the franchise over the years, and even currently!.)

And I'm feeling that now more than ever before with Disneys carefully calculated manipulation of the
Jay Kennedy
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, owned-books
My video review: https://youtu.be/7GpfnIaXnjs

2.5 star-ish

From a Certain Point of View is an interesting anthology. The stories act as a behind the scenes look at events in A New Hope from the perspective of 40 side characters. Some of these characters are completely unexpected. Take for instance, characters like: R5-D2 (the red droid sold with R2-D2 by Jawas), a female Tusken raider, MSE-6-G735Y (a mouse droid), or heck, even the trash compactor monster (btw her name is Omi). Of course there is
Lata
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, the bit players were busy, too, and had their own, interesting moments and lives. Like the garbage chute monster, who gets her due, and we find out just how fascinating and wonderful she was. And the mouse droid Chewie scared, who would have thought it facilitated a relationship on the Death Star? And what about the storm troopers who decided these weren't the droids they were looking for? The brilliant and overworked and deeply caring crew chief on Ya ...more
Anthony
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, star-wars
Debated between 4 and 5 stars, because some of the stories in this are, sadly, not all that great. But the ones that are good are great and all combined together make this a perfect love letter to the film that started it all. Sometimes I was left a little sad because I wanted shorts to be longer, to see more through the characters POV, whereas others felt just long enough, an important moment from the movie from a new perspective.

As well as some stories not being that good, my other main critic
Neil Hepworth
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall, this is a solid collection of stories. It’s just too bad that the duds are kinda clumped together so sometimes you might be tempted to stop reading on account of too many stupid stories in a row. But don’t give up--the last quarter of the anthology has a some really strong stories. By the end, I decided the book was a sold 4 star affair, but I will tell you, there were times, when I was certain I wouldn’t be giving it anything higher than a 2 star review.

I think my biggest complaint is
Jim C
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating is 2.5 stars.

This is a collection of short stories from people who witnessed events that happened in A New Hope.

I was intrigued by the concept of this novel as I like the idea of seeing well known events through new eyes. Unfortunately that did not last long as there is a reason that these characters do not have their stories being told. They are not exciting. Most of the short stories did nothing for me. There were a few terrific stories but they were too few in number. Also, I f
Trang Tran (Bookidote)
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full review on my blog here!
description

description
In celebrating the 40 years of Star Wars, Penguin Random House has reunited different authors and asked them to write stories from the perspective of the side characters. The story starts out right after Rogue One Movie and the story is about Star Wars: A New Hope (duh). It was fun for me because it’s a fresh take on the movie since we have different people’s perspective who come from different planets. I’ve learnt a lot about the world of Star Wars in those pages!!
Ashley
What a fun ode to one of my favorite movies.

Seriously, who came up with this idea? It's great. For the fortieth anniversary of Star Wars (now ponderously titled Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope), forty authors who are Star Wars- or nerd-adjacent take side or peripheral characters from the original film and write short stories from their perspectives. These stories are all told in chronological order, from the death of the captain of the Tantive IV all the way to the awards ceremony at the end of
Nancy
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, short-stories
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2018/03/0...

I love Star Wars! I love short stories! Together this anthology was a win-win for me.

Forty authors celebrated forty years of Star Wars by contributing a story of a minor or supporting character from the ending of Rogue One to the finale of A New Hope. I listened to these stories on audio, but also had a copy of the book to refer to when I wanted to double check a detail or if I didn’t like the way a story was voice
Megan
I honestly saw this book coming out and thought, 'okay, but why do we need ANOTHER retelling of ANH? haven't we had enough of them?' Turns out we were absolutely, 100% missing this one. It's by far the most interesting and refreshing retelling of the much-loved, oft-repeated Star Wars story we all know and love. These 39 stories (I hesitate to call Jeffery Brown's one-page, one-panel comic a story) were all incredibly well-done, crafted by authors who were clearly excited to be part of such a pr ...more
Brandon St Mark
This was a really good entry into the new canon. I skimmed maybe 66% of the stories, however a lot of them weren't bad, they were just focused on characters I didn't care about. Most of this book just follows really obscure side characters, and as I've said before, I pretty much am just here for the Force-users.

My favorite stories where: The Red One (Rae Carson), Master and Apprentice (Claudia Grey, what a shock honestly), Eclipse (Madeleine Roux), Time of Death (Cavan Scott), There is Another (
Stephanie
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full review to come??? But here's a quick run-down of my favorite stories in the collection:

-"The Sith of Datawork" by Ken Liu: So good, so hilarious....I love watching characters run the world in ways besides the usual action-hero shoot-em-up, fly-around-em ways.
-"Reirin" by Sabaa Tahir: SAND PERSON PROTAG AND I LOVE HER SO MUCH.
-"Born in the Storm" by Daniel Jose Older: Stormtrooper protag with SO MUCH SASS.
-"Beru Whitesun Lars" by Meg Cabot: LOVED this short monologue from our dear space-aunt
Jerry
Jun 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
If it's not broke...don't fix it!

Since getting into Star Wars literature in 2005, I have come across three different novelizations of A New Hope, as well as two graphic novel adaptations. I've also read and seen other books that retell either the same story, such as a book/CD read-along for younger kids, or parts of it, such as some of the writings of Ryder Windham.

All this for a movie that's been around for over forty years, and one that pretty much everybody who wants to see it has already see
Trike
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you really love Star Wars, then this is the book for you. For everyone else, eh....

Most of these stories are fine, I suppose, but honestly almost none of them need to exist. They’re well written for the most part, yet they bring almost nothing new to the overall Star Wars universe. Mostly we get scenes from the first two movies as told from the point of view of secondary characters. In that regard this collection basically ranges from decent fan fiction to Writing Prompts 101. “Take a backgro
Donna
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This anthology was definitely cohesive. Some of the stories (POVs) were brilliant, others....not so much. When I started this, I wondered why this book was even a thing. The different POVs from different characters, some with very minor roles, in original Stars Wars movie were chronologically assembled, but I kept thinking, "Why?" However, it grew on me. I liked the different perspectives. I just wish all the stories were equally engaging. So 3 stars.
Scott Foley
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ron
“As if all the stories we heard as children were true.”

Forty Author celebrate the fortieth anniversary of the Fourth Episode, but first movie, set “long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.” What could go wrong?

“As Obi-Wan will soon learn, the most beautiful form of mastery is the art of letting go.”

Despite the prominent Disney appellation, not much goes wrong. Uneven quality, but a better-than-average anthology of stories surrounding A New Hope from the points of view of often-peripheral chara
Marcus
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5
There are some heartbreaking stories in this book. I was moved to tears several times. I refrain from giving 5 stars because the tonal shifts between serious and goofy stories can be pretty jarring, the quality is fairly uneven, and there are some gluts of less arresting stories (I felt a bit bogged down in the Tatooine ones, of which there are many).

I would say my favorite stories were:
Master and Apprentice
The Angle

Ther
Jessamyn Leigh
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stories that gave me all the feels: Master and Apprentice, Eclipse, Time of Death, By Whatever Sun (bonus points for canonizing Jessamyn as a space name)

Stories I really liked:
The Red One, Reiren, The Baptist, Palpatine, The Angle, Contingency Plan, Whills, various Imperial paperwork/administration/HR stories

Stories I was kinda disappointed with:
Beru Whitesun Lars: I was really excited for a Beru story but I didn't care for the storytelling style.
There is Another: This felt like an attempt to
Evan Morgan
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5. My favorites being "The Red One" by Rae Carson, "Master and Apprentice" by Claudia Gray, "Time of Death" by Cavan Scott, "There Is Another" by Gary D. Schmidt, "Desert Son" by Pierce Brown, and "Contingency Plan" by Alexander Freed.
victoria.p
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 3.5, I guess? Some really good stuff but way too much about the denizens of Tatooine.
Essi | morrisongrl
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, audio
All the stars in a galaxy far,far away!

This book is a Star Wars fan’s dream come true. If you’re thinking about picking this up,I highly recommend the audiobook. It was amazing! Perfect even. I’m not usually a fan of music or audio effects in books,but in this one they worked. It’s Star Wars after all! The music gave me goosebumps. The sound effects,like the Jawas talking,or droid sounds,just made the stories come alive.
And the narrators! I have no idea how they managed it,but all the old favou
DiscoSpacePanther

Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View is a collection of forty short stories released in 2017 to celebrate the fortieth anniversary of the original Star Wars. Collectively they comprise a complete retelling of the movie from the perspective of minor characters (such as Aunt Beru, or an Imperial officer aboard the ISD Devastator), or characters that only appeared in other films in the franchise (such as Qui-Gon Jinn, or Palpatine).

All of these stories are readable, most of them are fun, and a
Melanie
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
"You're going to find that many truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." (said Obi-Wan before he belligerently lied to Luke about his father, but whatever).

To celebrate 40 years of Star Wars 40 different stories, told from the point of view of various background characters, guides us through A New Hope from the moments after the Battle of Scarif to the credits rolling after the medal ceremony. It is, first of all, an awesome concept that's executed perfectly because the diff
Gretchen Alice
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This will forever change the way I watch A New Hope. Forty writers joined together to tell the untold stories of the side characters in STAR WARS to celebrate the fortieth anniversary. Starting with the hand-off of the plans at the end of Rogue One, many characters get their due here. Some of the stories are sweet, some are funny, but most are tragic in the way that background characters who *aren't* the Chosen Ones often have their lives ruined. Rae Carson wrote a story about the red droid that ...more
Aka: Benjamin Acker
More about Ben Acker

Star Wars Disney Canon Novel (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars)
  • Dark Disciple (Star Wars)
  • Ahsoka (Star Wars)
  • Lords of the Sith (Star Wars)
  • Tarkin (Star Wars)
  • Most Wanted (Star Wars)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • Thrawn (Star Wars: Thrawn, #1)
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Time is a circle. The beginning is the end.” 4 likes
“I think my teacher was wrong: making cheese wasn't what I was born to do. I was born to make people feel good when everything around them seemed just awful.” 1 likes