Start by marking “Change Agent” as Want to Read:
Change Agent

Change Agent

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  3,770 Ratings  ·  443 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Daniel Suarez delivers an exhilarating sci-fi thriller exploring a potential future where CRISPR genetic editing allows the human species to control evolution itself.

On a crowded train platform, Interpol agent Kenneth Durand feels the sting of a needle— and his transformation begins. . . .

In 2045 Kenneth Durand leads Interpol’s most ef
Published April 18th 2017 by Dutton Books

Stephan
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: upcoming
★★★! I was looking foward to this techno thriller - and it turned out boring and predictable scifi. What made Suarez's books fun and special was his take on what our current technology can look like just a few years into the future. Daemon & Freedom™ were a terrific take on AI, Kill Decision a okay take on drones and Influx was a cool idea and just fun. So basically he had a tremendous start and it was downhill from then on - for me. I have to say, I've removed him from my favorite authors. ...more
Kemper
I received a free advance copy of this for review from NetGalley.

In 2045 the world has shifted to an economy based on synthetic biology rather than electronics, and the United States is now a third world backwater because of its stubborn clinging to the past and refusal to recognize and adapt to a changing reality.

Yep, that math checks out.

Genetic modifications are all the rage, but while it’s OK to prevent a disease in an embryo it’s illegal to tinker with the DNA to turn your kid into a hybri
Bradley
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have no problems raving about this book!

It has everything I'd ever want in a rip-roaring Hard-SF Thriller: a huge amount of genetic modifications and therapies gone wild and under the power of gangsters and the law, alike.

Ah! But this isn't just another cat and mouse hunt for wrongdoers. This is Daniel Suarez.

That means a lot of great tech and implications of tech and what's even greater? Great locations to get lost in, from Singapore to Thailand to Burmese jungles and even more.

Biotech has ta
Alex Givant
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2017, paper
Excellent book about our close future. If you think that genetic modification is still the sci-fi, please check Correction of a pathogenic gene mutation in human embryos published couple days ago.
Kaitlin
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
So I enjoyed the concepts in this book more than I enjoyed the actual story, but it has left me wanting to know a whole lot more about CRISPR and gene-editing so thats a plus! I would classify this as a near-future sci-fi thriller, it's definitely heavily researched in terms of science, but it also certainly plays with the reality of what could happen and pushes things to the extreme in order to make a more crazy story.

This is a story about a man called Ken who works for Interpol. His job is hu
Michael Hicks
My original Change Agent audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Change Agent, by Daniel Suarez, is a frustrating pop-sci thriller, more focused on whiz-bang tech than telling an original story. At its core, this Crichton-esque soft-serve is a generic lone hero on the run chase book, set in the near-future where the threats of illicit genetic modification are rearing its ugly head and Interpol is working on cracking down on underground biohackers. After shutting down
Faith
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: publisher, reviewed
Kenneth Durand works for Interpol tracking down illegal genetic labs. Millions of migrants are fleeing crop failures, there are civil wars and rising ocean levels. The gene revolution has bypassed America because of its backward anti-science ways and so Singapore has become the center of the new technology. (The author is a little heavy handed with his social commentary.) Genetic engineering is restricted, but an unscrupulous company has devised a way to completely replace the DNA of an adult hu ...more
Quirkyreader
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this as an ARC from Penguin. Am I glad I ever did. It takes Science Fiction to a whole new level. After reading this book you will never see DNA and gene therapy in the same way.

Get ready for your mind to be blown.
Brandon Forsyth
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
CHANGE AGENT's rough DNA: the heaving lungs of a Dan Brown thriller, FACE/OFF's brain (such as it is), and MINORITY REPORT's soul. There's a lot to like here, but it's hard to love.
Rob
Executive Summary: Despite a bit of a bumpy start, I think this is my favorite book by Mr. Suarez since Daemon.

Audiobook: Jeff Gurner continues to be a good fit for Daniel Suarez books. He reads well, and does a few voices to add that little extra something to the audiobook. These are exactly the kind of books I think are well suited to doing in audio.

Full Review
I picked up Daemon a few years back on the recommendation of a co-worker. It was kind of remarkable that I hadn't found it on my own
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
In the year 2045, Kenneth Durand, an Interpol agent who leads a team against genetic crime, feels the sting of a needle and his transformation begins. Durand finds himself identified by a cartel in charge of some of the most exclusive black market genetic labs and wakes up in the hospital, completely transformed as Interpol’s most wanted suspect. Now a fugitive, Durand must go deep into the underground world and evade police capture to try and retain his own DNA.

I wasn’t really sure what to exp
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
It's 2045 and Interpol's Kevin Durand is shutting down bioengineering hot beds that are changing the DNA of embryos in order to make "children to order". While some are doing this for the pure sense of not having their child be born with an illness or deformity (as he's guilty of with his own child), others are manufacturing kids in a more immoral way and he's out to stop as many as possible. Because he's good at his job, one of the most notorious international criminals, Marcus Wyckers, is out ...more
Cynthia
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the science fiction genre but I often feel let down by such books because some authors put a lot of effort on world building and not enough in creating strong characters. Suarez doesn't have this problem because his Change Agent characters are well drawn and their dilemmas are real as well.

The action in this book revolve around genetics. Suarez begins with our current manipulation of DNA and imagines a world where parents can alter their children in utero are beautiful and intelligent. T
Tom LA
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A near-future thriller about everything that can go wrong with genetic manipulation. Interesting South-East Asia locations, mainly Singapore, which in this fictional future has become the new technological hub of the world.

I liked his previous A.I. thrillers better, but this was also good. Great fun and stimulating speculative fiction in parts, too slow and boring in other parts. I would have edited out a good 1/3 of the book, if not more. Overall, I would give it 3 and 1/2 stars.
Brian Sletten
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Identity is a tricky thing. We are who we are through complex combinations of genetics and upbringing. This has been a tricky space for humanity even as a given, but the concept of being able to modify our genetic sequences upends our notions of self, religious beliefs, legal consequences and how we conceive of humanity. In "Change Agent", Daniel Suarez once again engagingly thrusts some uncomfortable truths that are presently just off the horizon into our present so that we might deliberate the ...more
Brian's Book Blog
A terrifying look into our future

I really enjoyed Daemon by Daniel Suarez so when I saw that Change Agent was coming out, I had to get it. I pre-ordered it from Audible (something I rarely do) and the day that it arrived I was lucky that I was just about to finish the last book I started.

Change Agent is a story about Kenneth Durand an Interpol agent who is mysteriously changed into someone that he is not. Not just a small change either, but a full change. So much so that he quickly realizes that
جادی میرمیرانی
Suarez is able to shock you with his bright ideas about the future times and times in this book. If you are into technologoy, if you are interested in security and if you follow hckrnews, this book might be a good choice for you.
Trike
The ideas and their presentation here are great, but the story is formulaic in the extreme. I found myself wanting to read an article theorizing potential uses (and misuses) of an epigenetic “change agent” rather than the actual book itself. Which is not to say the story is bad, not at all. It just has a been-there-done-that feel to it.

The main character, Kenneth Durand, is an Interpol analyst who tracks down illegal genetic engineering labs which offer to edit embryos, tailoring children to the
Enzo
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Daniel Suarez. His first two books were exhilarating and he seems to have found his niche. Yes, I'll happily compare him to Crichton. But lets go back to the book.
"Change Agent" deals with genetics and it might be a little overwhelming for most (include me here) but Suarez makes you feel at home even then. The story revolves around Kenneth Durand an agent for Interpol. He deals with Genetic crime in the future and believe me we will need someone policing that even if people t
Ryan Lackey
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book 9/10, exploring issues of genetics, human enhancement, refugees, and transnational crime. Suarez is one of my favorite authors, and this is another good book from him. It wasn't quite up to Daemon/Freedom level for me, but beat Kill Decision, and was far better than Influx.

He really missed out on a chance to make the book great, like the best PK Dick books, when he made explicit the plot twist/ambiguity in the first few chapters, in a fairly artificial introduction of th
Andy
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Enjoyable for Suarez fans, but not as good as his first books. The novum/premise is not scientifically possible. That could still be OK if he just let it go and then spent the book following through on the implausible premise's implications for society. Unfortunately, he has the characters keep telling us over and over how impossible the premise is and then, instead of showing us how it transforms society, the characters keep telling us about how it will change everything some day. Except that i ...more
David
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: diehard Suarez, Crichton fans
This book could have been amazing but it is NOT... Its possible I went in with high expectations but I quickly realized my hopes would not be met...

The idea is great, and the last 15% of the book was very good; capturing the essence of Daemon/Freedom. To get to this point is painful though on so many levels...

The world and technology itself feels like a mash up of daemon/kill decision/influx, giving this book a lost identity to start with. The Michael Crichton'esque "data dump" happens early on
Kathy Martin
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This near future science fiction story talks about a future world that has changed immensely because of developments in biology and genetic engineering. In this world genes can be edited to create the baby you want. Kenneth Durand works with Interpol to shut down illegal labs that are custom-designing babies. He has been too successful. He has drawn the attention of the cartel who controls this illegal genetic engineering.

Ken is injected with a "change agent" which rewrites his DNA and makes him
Casey
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc, fiction
My thanks to Dutton Books and NetGalley for a free advance copy in exchange for review!

Sci-fi thriller fans, listen up! This new novel is like Michael Crichton meets Minority Report with a dash of genetic engineering.

In the stupor of science suppression in the US, Silicon Valley has given way to a new innovation center in Singapore where bioengineering reigns. Our hero, Interpol agent Kenneth Durand, works to regulate crime organizations exploiting the strong temptation of epigenetics. Durand is
Jason Cox
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read, fiction
Yet another fast and furious novel by Daniel Suarez.

This guy definitely has the knack for writing novels which start up quickly and move fast the whole way through. He generally takes an idea from some sort of technological advancement and crafts a story around how that can either go wrong, or be taken too far. In that sense, he's somewhat similar to Michael Crichton and I suspect that if you've enjoyed Crichton's stuff, you'll enjoy Suarez' works as well.

In this novel, the scene is set in the
Frank Mcgeough
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for techno-thrillers and Daniel Suarez does a great job of delivering novels where technology is pushed to some barely foreseeable degree. This time its genetic modifications. Fast moving as always and story driven by tech. If you enjoyed Michael Crichton novels then you'll most likely enjoy Daniel Suarez's work.
Daniel
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting story about a possible time when DNA is as changeable as computer code. At times though I wanted the hero to fail because so found his moral outrage insufferable.
Gendou
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an action-packed story that doesn't disappoint with lots of creative fictional uses for biotechnology. If you know Suarez you know the kind of gritty world he likes to create. This one is set in our not-too-distant future. We follow the goody-two-shoes protagonist through an arc where he both literally and figuratively struggles with becoming the bad guy.

(view spoiler)
Zulfiya
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I have not read a thriller in a long while; so this was my new take on this fringe genre for me. The book did not make me gag, and it was compelling enough for me to finish it. I assume it is a good sign.

Honestly, I am experiencing a mixture of feelings about the novel, and it is hard to delineate exactly what my thoughts are.
These are the things that I mostly liked.
a. Bioengineering and genetic engineering can be and possibly are on the frontiers of our scientific revolution, and I do apprec
Karel Baloun
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
The ending keeps an opening for a sequel, which I certainly will not read. Substandard technical explanations and privacy soapbox digressions were laborious. I had much higher hopes, repeatedly dashed. Attempts at humor fell regrettably flat.

Suarez had decided his plot, requiring a "change agent", so he just willed it into existence, regardless how implausible. He didn't include Ramez Naam's speculative viral vectors for specific body wide gene edits, which are much more plausible, and predate t
DANIEL SUAREZ is the author of the New York Times bestseller Daemon, Freedom™, Kill Decision, and Influx. A former systems consultant to Fortune 1000 companies, he has designed and developed mission-critical software for the defense, finance, and entertainment industries. With a lifelong interest in both IT systems and creative writing, his high-tech and Sci-Fi thrillers focus on technology-driven ...more
More about Daniel Suarez

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“When privacy is criminalized,
only criminals will have privacy.”
2 likes