Start by marking “The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)

The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps #11)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  14,102 Ratings  ·  533 Reviews
Just call him prune face! — Steve Boswell will never forget Carly Beth's Halloween mask. It was so gross. So terrifying.But this year Steve wants to have the scariest costume on the block. So he gets a mask from the same store where Carly Beth got hers. It looks like a creepy old man. With stringy hair. A wrinkled face. And spiders crawling out of the ears!Steve's definite ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages
Published September 1st 2003 by Scholastic (first published 1993)

Darth J
Aug 25, 2015 Darth J rated it it was amazing

There's an old adage that Halloween allows you to be your true self for one night a year, and all of the other 364 days you're wearing society's costume. This year Carly Beth decides to show who she is inside, or at least the person her tormenters have turned her into: a monster. It is this mask that calls out to her essence, and she craves to put her victim persona aside for once.

The mask bonds with her skin, but is it really the mask or Carly Beth who won't let go of her new identity?
Richard Denney
Oct 20, 2016 Richard Denney rated it really liked it
***Re-read for Goosebumpsalong!

Just as fun, scary and crazy as I remember it. Can't wait to watch the 2 part episode this weekend. :)
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Excellent. This is frightening book and actually contained some pretty well-written passages.

Carly Beth (love the double name! Woot!) is a scaredy-cat. This wouldn't be so bad - except for the fact that everyone (her little brother, people at school, even her friends) thinks it is really funny to scare her. To make her jump and shriek and scream. It's easy to do. This leads to some pretty cruel practical jokes being played on Carly Beth - worms in her sandwich, etc.

Like most times when I read a
Daniella
Jul 19, 2010 Daniella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who like scary stories
This reminds me of that episode of Buffy where a curse--or a spell, or something, whatever it was--turns everyone into whatever they're dressed as for Halloween. Except not as funny. Or as scary. And without the benefit of Giles getting all unexpectedly hot at the end and laying the smackdown. Mmm, Tony Head...

...what was I saying? Oh, right. This is still pretty good, for what it is. It's unsettling, the idea of putting something on for a while, only to realize too late that, not only can you n
Mohamed Khaled
العدد ده بالذات كأن أكتر عدد رعبني في أول مرة اقرأه بالتأكيد ..
وأفضل ما في قراءة العدد بعد سنين طويلة .. هو أنني بعد كل تلك السنين أتابع سير القصة بكل شغف لأصل للنهاية التي أعلم أن شتاين لن يجعلها نهاية عادية ..
السلسلة دي كانت من الحاجات اللي خلت الواحد بيشوف أفلام الرعب الساعة 3 الفجر ويبقي عادي وسليم ! :D
Andy
Doesn't matter how old I get, this will always be my favourite Goosebumps story. At least one of, if ever I find myself incapable of picking just one. Yeah, i've heard these are at a 2nd grade reading level, but whatever. Child of 90s. R.L.Stine. Need I say more? LoL

Carly Beth is easily frightened and is teased because her friends think it's funny. This Halloween, it's her turn to scare Chuck & Steve. Two guys who tease her mercilessly. She finds the perfect mask and gets the thrill of scari
Salymar
Nov 10, 2012 Salymar rated it really liked it
TAGLINE: IT LOOKS COULD KILL.

This stand second among the list of my favorite goosebumps book series! :)

R.L. Stine's 'The Haunted Mask' is the eleventh book in the series of the higly-acclaimed Goosebumps. This book follows a girl named Carly Caldwell who was teased of being the most unscary girl in the block when it comes to halloween costumes and the like. So, Carly founds herself at a Halloween store and buys a downright scary looking mask, little does she know that after putting on the mask,
☣Lynn☣
I lied when I said Night of the Living Dummy was my favorite GB book. The Haunted Mask is. I forgot how freaky this one was. You could really get the feeling that the mask was changing poor Carly Beth.

What a great Halloween read.
George
Sep 26, 2016 George rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Αυτή την ιστορία σίγουρα δεν την διάβασα όταν ήμουν μικρός. Η Κάρλι Μπεθ είναι ένα εντεκάχρονο κορίτσι που τρομάζει εύκολα. Όλοι της κάνουν πλάκες και θέλουν να την τρομάζουν. Αυτή έχει βαρεθεί να γελάνε εις βάρος της. Όμως, ήρθε η ώρα της να πάρει εκδίκηση. Και ποια είναι πιο ιδανική μέρα για εκδίκηση από την μέρα του Χάλογουιν; Θα αγοράσει την πιο τρομακτική και ανατριχιαστική μάσκα που θα βρει και θα προσπαθήσει να αιφνιδιάσει τους φίλους της. Όμως τι γίνεται όταν η μάσκα που θα αγοράσει είνα ...more
Amrita Biju
Mar 22, 2013 Amrita Biju rated it it was amazing
There was a girl named Carly Beth staying along with her friend Sabrina.Every one liked to scare Carly Beth[specially Chuck and Steve liked to scare her].One day at school when it was lunch time Chuck smiled at Carly and gave her a sandwich saying that he don't want it.When she bit it,she felt something as funny and sticky.Oh!!!She ate a worm!!A real earthworm !!!!!!Sabrina was laughing too.Laughter followed her home.When she went home her mother showed her a head.A head made by a mother made fr ...more
Malcolm Everett
Jun 13, 2016 Malcolm Everett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I'm going to review my experience with the entire Goosebumps universe within this book because I have such strong memories of "The Haunted Mask" TV episode (which you can, of course, now watch on YouTube).

R.L. Stine is a master of children's horror and most likely responsible for popularizing the genre. My family owned at least a hundred of his books, all lined up in a rainbow of horror.

Some of the Goosebumps staples that stick out in my mind:
+ Monster Blood
+ Be Careful What You Wish For
+ Don't
»jαу
Jan 06, 2016 »jαу rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carly Beth's "friends" were little assholes, that's all you need to know.
Janie Johnson
Oct 12, 2016 Janie Johnson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I read this book for a Goosebumps read along that a friend on booktube was hosting. I could not get ahold of the other 2 books, but was happy to find this one. This is #4 of The Classic Goosebumps. This is a first time read for me of this author and this is a middle grade book/series.

Synopsis
Something scary is happening in GOOSEBUMPS HORRORLAND, the all-new, all-terrifying series by R. L. Stine. Just how scary? You'll never know unless you crack open this classic prequel!
Carly Beth thinks she's
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Από τις πλέον αγαπημένες μου ιστορίες των "Ανατριχίλων". Σίγουρα σε κάποιον ενήλικα, το όλο story, δεν θα φανεί ιδιαίτερα πρωτότυπο -εφόσον υπάρχει και σχετική θεματολογική ταινία του cult κινηματογράφου-, αλλά ας μην ξεχνάμε σε τι ηλικίες απευθύνεται η σειρά. Και οι ηλικίες αυτές, αν μη τι άλλο, θα πάθουν την πλάκα τους, θα νιώσουν τον τρόμο και την αγωνία στο πετσί τους και θα σκεφτούν πως καμιά φορά ίσως δεν πρέπει να εύχεσαι δυνατά αυτό που θες.
Arisha Salman
Dec 17, 2016 Arisha Salman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is amongst the first few books I read in the series, and it's amongst my favourites. Loved it immensely. This book managed to influence me too effectively, I remained scared for days. Literally.
It was what I would call terrifying, thrilling and just plainly awesome. Highly recommended!!
Rebecca McNutt
May 04, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Just reading this one for nostalgia's sake. This is one of those books though that seems great when you're twelve, but that loses its spark by the time you're eighteen. Still though, this book and the others in the Goosebumps series were a big inspiration to me as a kid. :)
Menglong Youk
Jan 11, 2015 Menglong Youk rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school, horror
This book is supposed to be for primary school students? Nah, screw it. I still get frightened when I read this series. ><

This book follows a girl name Carly Beth who usually gets scared easily by her friends, which makes her embarrassed most of the time. Wanting to get revenge on her friends on Halloween night, she decided to find herself the scariest mask in order to scare the two boy who always make her scream like a jerk at school. Seeing the custom which was made by her mom looks not
Hannah
Sep 23, 2014 Hannah rated it liked it
Shelves: goosebumps
I never read this book first time around, but I did see the (awesome) episode of the TV series, so I had a fairly good idea of what was happening.

Cover story: Freaky mask. Looks like we're in for a spooky time.
MC: Carly Beth. Scaredy cat. Bullied by her whole school, including friends for this fact. Yikes.
The run down: Carly Beth's only personality trait is that she's a scaredy cat. So this Halloween she wants to do the scaring.
Cliff hangers: 11
Doomed ending: Yes!
Bonus name Mrs Armbruster. Awes
Leigh (Little Book Star)
Sep 21, 2010 Leigh (Little Book Star) rated it really liked it
Shelves: goosebumps
This is probably the first Goosebumps book I read.. Well my fourth grade teacher read it to us :) She's the one that got me hooked up reading these R.L. Stine books. Really amazing :D Definitely recommended to read!
Shawna
Oct 25, 2015 Shawna rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Goosebumps episodes so I was really looking forward to reading this one. I was not disappointed. Halloween is one of my favorite nights of the year. A great book to read just days before Halloween!
Carly  Patrick
Jun 05, 2016 Carly Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¡Qué maravilla de libro!

Lo devoré en minutos, es completamente adictivo, comienza algo lento pero pasando las primeras páginas se vuelve bastante tétrico y se nota la magia del autor, ese terror clásico que pone los pelos de punta.
Freija
May 21, 2016 Freija rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Una lettura piacevolissima, dettata dalla nostalgia
Dalal
Aug 24, 2016 Dalal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
لأنه هذه السلسلة عشقي الطفولي فلن أعطيها أقل من 3 نجمات :)
Amber Eats Books
Oct 25, 2016 Amber Eats Books rated it really liked it
Shelleen Toland
Oct 18, 2016 Shelleen Toland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Goosebumps story. I remember reading it with my son when he was in middle school and seeing the TV show. Carly Beth is afraid of everything and 2 boys in school constantly scare her. She goes to a store and buys this mask to scare people on Halloween and she does. Only it seems like the mask doesn't want to come off.
Melwyn
Mar 05, 2009 Melwyn rated it liked it
The book I am reviewing is Goosebumps the haunted mask by RL Stines. It is a science fiction book. My thinking of the books theme would be never try to do anything with a bad intention because if you do it you might be in big trouble and also love can destroy all evil in the world.

This book is about a girl named Carly Beth. She has lots of friends like chuck, Steve and Sabrina. The only problem is they really enjoy scaring Carly beth like usual she always gets scared one day chuck and Steve snea
Ben Phillips
Sep 16, 2013 Ben Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Haunted Mask, written by R.L. Stine is part of a series of children’s fiction/horror books.

Carly Beth is an 11 year old girl who scares easily, making her an easy target for entertainment amongst her peers. Even Carly Beth’s 8 year old brother scares her by doing things such as jumping out at her.

Carly Beth is fed up of being so easily frightened and the one that everyone laughs at. She is looking to pay her friends back once and for all. With Halloween fast approaching and Carly Beth’s mum’
Hannah Kersting
Oct 25, 2011 Hannah Kersting rated it really liked it
Shelves: popular-series
This book is the eleventh book in the R.L. Stine series entitled, "Goosebumps." In this novel, a young girl named Carly goes to the Halloween store to buy a mask that will scare her friends. Little does she know that the mask that she will buy will change her Halloween experience. When she puts the mask on she begins to realize that it is making her feel different and a little weird. Later she realizes that the mask has actually become her face and her transformation into a ugly, evil creature b ...more
Atharva
Dec 27, 2016 Atharva rated it liked it
Carly Beth is surely an amazing character. I wouldn't necessarily call her a scaredy cat. Everybody, even her friends are trying to scare her and she is easily scared, so I bet that she would have a hectic lifestyle, unsure and nervous. What could be better than to scare and venue herself a hundred times over and hundred times as scary. The book from the Goosebumps collection introduces us readers to another living abiotic organism namely, the Haunted make just like the Living Dummy. This is the ...more
Barrett
Nov 27, 2011 Barrett rated it really liked it
**Popular Series
R.L. Stine's 'The Haunted Mask' is the eleventh book in the series 'Goosebumps'. This book follows a girl named Carly Caldwell who goes to a Halloween store and buys a scary looking mask, little does she know after putting on the mask, Carly starts acting differently and discovers that the mask has become attached to her face and she is unable to take the mask off. She starts stealing and even chokes her best friend, Sabrina. After she discovers that she cannot take it off, she r
Horror Aficionados : Pages from RL Stine's The Haunted Mask? 1 15 Feb 11, 2016 12:18AM
Like? Dislike? Love? Hate? Why? 5 18 Jul 26, 2013 12:25PM
Talk About Juveni...: The Haunted Mask? 1 1 Jun 21, 2013 01:41PM
what are you supposed to do if you have an ugly mask on your face forever? 3 25 Feb 11, 2012 12:54PM
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Monsters: Tales to Give You the Creeps
  • Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories, #3)
  • The Discovery (Animorphs, #20)
  • Claudia and the Sad Good-bye (The Baby-sitters Club, #26)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)

“Noah — get off me!” she demanded, trying to push the big duck off her chest.” 0 likes