Start by marking “Squirrel Meets World (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, #1)” as Want to Read:
Squirrel Meets World (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, #1)

Squirrel Meets World

(The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (Novels) #1)

WHO RUNS THE WORLD? SQUIRRELS!

Fourteen-year-old Doreen Green moved from sunny California to the suburbs of New Jersey. She must start at a new school, make new friends, and continue to hide her tail. Yep, Doreen has the powers of . . . a squirrel!

After failing at several attempts to find her new BFF, Doreen feels lonely and trapped, liked a caged animal. Then one day Dor
Published February 7th 2017 by Marvel Press

To ask other readers questions about Squirrel Meets World, please sign up.

Jessica
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: superhero
This was a super fun prequel to the existing Squirrel Girl comics. I love that it had a deaf character (who was totally awesome btw) because you don't see that often in books. Overall, it was silly and outrageous but that is Squirrel Girl in a nutshell (bad pun I know).
Stephanie Cooke
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Squirrel Girl. She is, without a doubt, one of my all-time favourite characters for a number of different reasons. What are those reasons? LET ME TELL YOU…

Doreen Green is hella delightful, to start with. She has endless supplies of optimism and positivity. She’s not a brooding puddle of angst and she has a strong support system involving her parents (alive and well) and her friends (also alive and well). She is compassionate and kind and is always trying to look for an alterna
Stacy Fetters
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
"I never understood because what's wrong with lemons to begin with? It's like saying "if life gives you people, grind up their organs for a beverage."."
Received at BEA Chicago 2016
When I grow up I want to be a combination of Squirrel Girl and Nimona. Two of the baddest bitches on this planet. If only I were an adult with a kickass tail and a mohawk.
Story time kids... gather round now and scooch closer.
McCormick Place in Chicago. Standing in line waiting for a book and spot two
thefourthvine
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, so this book is just FUN. It's adorable and light and filled with squirrels, and even though I am definitely not a squirrel fan, I enjoyed the heck out of this book. It's a perfect antidote to the grimdark, doom and gloom, we're going to murder people and then stand in the rain trend in superhero comics.

To be clear, though, this isn't a graphic novel. It's a novel-novel, a prequel to the Squirrel Girl comics, about Doreen's assumption of the superhero mantle. And it's everythin
Lata
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jana
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a whole lot of fun. It doesn't go super deep, but it is a very entertaining book. I love Squirrel Girl as a character and I also love how we got to see a bunch of Avengers as well as other Marvel characters - so not only do we hear from a bunch of well-known characters like Black Widow, Iron Man etc., but we also see She-Hulk, for example. If you're looking for some light-hearted superhero fun, I'd definitely recommend this book.
Teresa
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Meets World is the first in an MG/YA Marvel novel series by Shannon Hale and Dean Hale. I say Middle Grade AND Young Adult because this book resonates powerfully with both age groups, as well as any Marvel fan. One of the best aspects about this novel is that lovers of the original Squirrel Girl comics will adore the voice in this book. Just like in the comics, Squirrel Girl gives us her footnote opinions about everything! And what a great female character ...more
Peace
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: would-read-again
5 stars is not enough stars!!!!! This book seriously kicked butts!

Pretty much everything I expected from a Shannon Hale Squirrel Girl Middle grade book, and let me tell you I expected so much.

Everybody should read this book.
Jasmine
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully funny and heartwarming. I'm so happy to finally have a super-hero book where the character's parents are a.) alive b.) good parents c.) not stupid d.) supportive. (The only other book in that vein I know of so far is Ms Marvel, I think?) Also ASL as part of the setting and plot, the power of friendship, and several two-page spreads that are the funniest things I have read in my life.
Dea
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
“I’m here to kick butts and eat nuts. And I’m ALL OUT OF NUTS!”

Squirrel Girl is my favorite super hero. (Actually, the only super hero I like!) Ryan North’s Doreen Green is so full of heart and charm… the Hale Doreen came across as obnoxious and weird.

A lot of things bugged me in this novel. The footnotes were awkward and didn’t mesh with the story, chapters from Tippy-Toe’s perspective with forced “squirrel slang” made me cringe a little bit, and I despised how the villa
Cathy
Ryan North and Erica Henderson write and illustrate the most recent (and wonderful) version of Squirrel Girl comics, but somehow Shannon and Dean Hale managed a very similar voice and feeling. It was great, it made me happy from cover to cover, just like the comics do.

It helped that I already knew exactly what Doreen looked and sounded like, and her mom as well, but I think Doreen would seem cute right off the bat to new readers as well. I really liked the chapters from Tippy's point-of-view; b
Bookevin
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

SO FUNNY. SO FREAKING ADORABLE.

If I weren't a fan of Squirrel Girl before reading Squirrel Meets World, I am now!
Amy
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the sequel better, but only because I feel so-so about origin stories. Marvel kind of inundates us with them.
Otherwise, another solid read! This book has clever dialogue and fun characters. I love Squirrel Girl's optimism.
Katie Acosta
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This novel is a prequel to the Squirrel Girl comics. I picked it up on a whim, squirrel super hero-what's not to love, and half way through the book I went to the book store and bought 6 comic books. Now that I know where she started from I want to read about squirrel girl when she had come into her own.
I liked this regardless because of the awkward jr high-ness of it. Doreen is weird and awkward like most jr high kids, watching the "somebodies" from the table in the back of the cafeteria. Exce
Hizatul Akmah
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
one of the easiest 5 starred reads of the year so far!!! i can't get enough of Doreen Green ugh *itchy-hands to grab the sequel*
Shadowdenizen
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: media-tie-in
This prequel to the current SquirrelGirl comic series is a fun, charming and endearing read.

A great addition to the SQuirrelGirl mythos.
Mehsi
Meet Doreen Green, or Squirrel Girl! Here to save the day, or well mostly babies and squirrels!

I was a bit hesitant when I spotted this book (yes, they had this book at one of my libraries). My first meeting with Doreen/Squirrel Girl was through the comics and I have to say I hated it so much I dropped it quite fast. Doreen/Squirrel Girl was annoying, the story was eh, the only good thing was the humour, that was pretty decent. So yes, I was worried. But I still wanted to try, and se
E
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So!!!!! Much fun!!!!!! Squirrel Girl in school and fighting bad guys and being optimistic and eager! Yay
Elena
This is a really fun prequel novel to the amazing Squirrel Girl comics by Ryan North and Erica Henderson, aimed at middle grade readers. This story stars a young Doreen Green as she starts ninth grade at a new school in a new town. Doreen has always been told by her parents to keep her squirrel tail covered up and her awesome leaping abilities on the down-low (so the other kids don't get jealous), but when a villain calling himself the Micro-Manager appears to threaten the town's squirrels, Doreen can' ...more
Christy
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Chitty chuk!

(That's OMFG THIS IS SO CUTE in Squirrel, for those of you who haven't yet read it)

I made a pact last year that I would try to read more Marvel comics. I was heavily reading DC (until Rebirth 😒) and Squirrel Girl was one of the comics that came recommended. I couldn't resist picking up Squirrel Girl, to go along with the Red Widow books.

Still thinking about whether or not to read it? Here's my top 5 reasons why you need a little Squirrel Girl in yo
Leonard Kim
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the running for best squirrel superhero novel out there (which is something, given the other one is a Newbery Medal winner). Definitely the best squirrel book with footnotes (sorry, Lynn Rae Perkins.) It's the best of the popular franchise books by distinguished childrens' authors that I've read. (I've also read and liked Tom Angleberger's Rocket and Groot book, but that is a slighter work. I felt E.K. Johnston's Ahsoka novel wasn't as strong as her own original works.)

I thought the first tw
Renata
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, middle-grade
This was really fun, and I'm glad it exists, especially for kids who might be turned off by graphic novels but are interested in the character of Squirrel Girl. Or just squirrels. IDK.

There is a lot of Marvel Universe injokey stuff (Doreen's texts to all the other Avengers) but I think it mostly would still be funny on some level even to kids who aren't as familiar.

I also loved that Doreen's friend is a hearing impaired Latina girl!

I will say that for me, personally, I d
Robin Stevens
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SQUIRREL POWER! I'm a massive fan of the SG comics, and I'm delighted that Shannon and Dean Hale have brought Doreen into a novel so well. This is geniunely exciting, clever, funny and wonderful, and I know readers will go NUTS for it. 8+

Lynn
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sheer goofy fun! Campy and big-hearted, this was a laugh-out-loud tonic.

I listened to this on audio and the production was outstanding. The two narrators totally captured the tone of the book and were spot-on with the dialogue!
Artemis
Oh my gosh, this is so much fun! One of the funniest, most charming and exciting reads of the year.

Squirrel Girl does it again! In her origin story in novel form, written by the wonderful Shannon and Dean Hale. Squirrel power - the unbeatable superheroine of Marvel - and where it all began...

Doreen Green is an adorable, optimistic and full of nutty energy girl of fourteen-years-old, born with a bushy tail and other squirrely attributes like two buck teeth, retractable claws, super a
Nicole
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to: squirrels, people who like squirrels, people who like nuts, people who like babies, people who like Shannon Hale, Marvel fans

A totally amazing book. It is written for 4th through 7th graders but I really really enjoyed it. It's a really easy read, I finished it on a day and a half. The writing style is great, the characters unique and lovable, the humor amazing and the cover is really neat too.
My only complaint is that the book is written for a yo
Lisa
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is such a cute middle grade book! A mix of txts and narrative the story follows Doreen who secretly calls herself squirrel girl as she moves to a new school, makes new friends with humans and squirrels, and fights MM who wants to be a supervillian. The parents in this story are so fun, as they are conflicted about how to protect their daughter and also are so proud of her special talents.
I was a little worried at the beginning that Doreen was going to be too annoying but by page 20/30
Eva
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
Actual rating: 3.5

"I'm sure real Super Heroes call their moms sometimes, too. Like Captain America would take his mom along with him, if she hadn't died in 1962 or whatever. She'd put on a star-spangled helmet, hop in the sidecar of his motorcycle, and shoot S.H.I.E.L.D. lasers at bad guys, shouting 'Leave my boy alone!' I bet you my last acorn that Cap's mom was totally awesome."

SOMEONE WRITE SOME FANFICTION. PLEASE.

As for the rest of the book, it was lots of fun.
Michelle Stimpson
This wasn't quite my cup of tea, but there were things I loved:

1. Doreen Green aka Squirrel Girl is sweet, spunky, and squirrely.

2. Doreen comments throughout the story via footnotes, but it's established at the beginning that you can skip the footnotes and still enjoy the story. There are some very funny footnotes, although it got to be a bit much for my taste. I appreciate that they were optional.

3. I really enjoyed Doreen's interactions with The Avengers.

I
Jillian
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t think I’ve ever read a super hero book before. I really enjoyed this one! I loved the squirrely-ness of it. Doreen Green is a charming character and the text conversations with other heroes in the Marvel universe were fun.

• The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe
  • The Purloining of Prince Oleomargarine
  • Mac Undercover (Mac B., Kid Spy #1)
  • Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman Vol. 2
  • Wedgie & Gizmo
  • Castle Hangnail
  • Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion
  • Miles Morales: Spider-Man
  • Beach Party Surf Monkey (Welcome to Wonderland, #2)
  • Princeless, Vol. 3: The Pirate Princess
  • The Emperor of Mars (Secrets of the Dragon Tomb, #2)
  • Funny Girl
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 1: Anchor Points
  • The Glorkian Warrior Delivers a Pizza
  • The Tapper Twins Go Viral (Tapper Twins, #4)
  • Armstrong & Charlie
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels: the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, multiple award winner Book of a Thousand Days, and the highly acclaimed Books of Bayern series. She has written three books for adults, including the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012), companion book to Austenland. She co-wrote the hit graphic novel Rapunzel's Reveng ...more

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (Novels) (2 books)
  • 2 Fuzzy, 2 Furious (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, #2)
“Hope was as confusing as [Trecon = 5√TA2(L/12)3].” 0 likes
“Whenever I get bird meat, I like to eat it in the open, let the falcons and hawks see who the boss is. Me. I’m the boss.” 0 likes