Start by marking “Hellboy: Oddest Jobs” as Want to Read:
Hellboy: Oddest Jobs

Hellboy: Oddest Jobs

(Hellboy Novels)

And you thought Hell was weird . . .

Longtime contributor to the Hellboy mythos Christopher Golden brings together a crew of luminaries including Joe R. Lansdale (Bubba HoTep) and China Miéville (King Rat), crossgenre sensation Barbara Hambly (The Windrose Chronicles), celebrated mystery writer Ken Bruen (The Dramatist), bestselling science fiction and fantasy novelist Tad
Published July 8th 2008 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Library

Anthology of 14 stories with the common theme of Hellboy and an introduction by Christopher Golden.

Ok, so every one of these stories is weird, some way more than others. Way, waaaay more. I’ve never seen a Hellboy movie (though we have them) or read the comics. This anthology is the first time I’ve read any Hellboy stories. I gotta say, Hellboy is fairly entertaining. I need to watch the movies and dig up more stories to read.

Jiving with Shadows and Dragons and Long, Black
Quentin Wallace
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another cool Hellboy short story collections. I only wish there were more of these!

Some of the authors include Joe Landsdale, China Meville, Gary A. Braunbeck, Brian Keene, and many others.

The stories are diverse, and you get to see more than just Hellboy beating up monsters. Although there are plenty of monsters too, so there's a little bit of something for everyone.

Pretty much a must read for any Hellboy fan. These stories really show the flexibility of the characters in the Hellboy universe.
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5

Free from Noisetrade, but only included 1st story ~ 49 pages
Ian
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
M
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Editor Christopher Golden brings together a unique cast of writers to pen prose tales starring Dark Horse comics phenomenon Hellboy. The diverse assemblage offers stories that are terrifying, odd, hilarious, and even cute in nature. The opening salvo by Joe R. Lansdale is the most horrific tale of the bunch, focusing on a demonic ebony train filled with rotting meat, vile corpses, and smoke dragons that terrorize small Arizona towns. A love story of Grecian proportions gets the entire BPRD team ...more
Craig
Aug 04, 2008 rated it liked it
This third collection of Hellboy stories from various authors is another mixed bag from editor Christopher Golden. There's an excellent story by Joe Lansdale, a surprisingly elegant short from Amber Benson, a good one from China Mieville, and an interesting Barbara Hambly story. Gary Braunbeck contributes an interesting one in which Hellboy visits Cedar Hill, the fictional town in which the majority of his works are set.
Natalie
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Old school horror fans (think Lovecraft/Poe)
This was a fun collection of Hellboy mythos short stories that for the most part kept the old school horror feel of the comics. Usually when I read short story collections, there are usually several that I don't care for. I was pleasantly surprised that I thoroughly enjoyed all of the stories presented.
Evan
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection of stories for Hellboy fans, though I imagine even the casual reader will be quite taken with many of the stories. The reason the mythology of Hellboy has grown like a weed over the past decade is that he is both an accessible and likable character, and many of these stories are wonderful additions to the mythos.
Dawn
Jul 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror-mystery
This book fell far short of the standard set by the previous volume in the series. Some of the stories in this book strayed so far from the tone of the original characters that I found it difficult to get through. It was especially disappointing because I had been looked forward to this new book for so long.
Damon
Jan 26, 2009 rated it liked it
More of the same stuff here, but I'd guess that's what most people interested in the 3rd volume of short stories about Hellboy are already expecting. Nothing earth-shattering, but some things entertaining. I was especially looking forward to the China Mieville story, but it didn't knock me out.
Dmitry Veselov
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Not bad but, as well, not good enough. With the exception of China Mieville's story, kinda-forgettable-fest.
Marissa_san121
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Weirdest. Stuff. EVER...
Aaron Stephens
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nice collection of short stories, most were typical Hellboy stories. Amber Benson, Tara from Buffy, wrote a very unique and enjoyble view on the Hellboy universe.
Babs
Jun 14, 2016 added it
FALSE
James
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not generally a fan of Short Story Collection, but this was good with quite a few exceptional pieces. I would recommend this if you are a fan of Hellboy and his Mythos.
Jon
Mar 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
A couple of really great Lovecraftian short stories, mixed in with a couple of entertaining sci-fi romps, and topped off by a handful of snoozers, this made a great afternoon read.
Slap Happy
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
China Mieville contributes a short story to this collection inspired from the Hellboy comics. It's a good one too. I didn't read the other tales.
Cindy
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
great collection. Particularly liked the one by Joe Lansdale. Ordered first two books after reading this.
Claire Thibodeaux

• Hellboy: The All-Seeing Eye
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 13: 1947
  • Hellboy: The Companion
  • Hellboy: The Ice Wolves
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more

Hellboy Novels (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Hellboy: The Lost Army