Start by marking “The Obsidian Chamber (Pendergast, #16)” as Want to Read:
The Obsidian Chamber (Pendergast, #16)

The Obsidian Chamber

(Pendergast #16)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  13,669 ratings  ·  1,308 reviews
A TRAGIC DISAPPEARANCE
After a harrowing, otherworldly confrontation on the shores of Exmouth, Massachussetts, Special Agent A.X.L. Pendergast is missing, presumed dead.
A SHOCKING RETURN
Sick with grief, Pendergast's ward, Constance, retreats to her chambers beneath the family mansion at 891 Riverside Drive--only to be taken captive by a shadowy figure from the past.
AN INTER
Published October 25th 2016 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 18th 2016)

·  13,669 ratings  ·  1,308 reviews

Start your review of The Obsidian Chamber (Pendergast, #16)
Matthew
I was not a huge fan of the book right before this one in the series – Crimson Shore. While Obsidian Chamber was a great deal better, I feel like where it ended left something to be desired. In fact, up until the end I was going with 5 stars all the way, but one major resolution is bringing it to 4.5 – and I am debating about whether to round down to 4 because I want my version of the ending so badly!!! See spoiler in next paragraph for details if you do not mind the key resolution being ruined ...more
Frances
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5* What a lovely cover for this book; but a cover does not imply it will be enjoyable and well written. Having read several books by these talented authors it was disappointing that The Obsidian Chamber did not live up to expectations. The plot, characters, and flow was not up to their usual standard.

** Thank you to Publisher Grand Central Publishing and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest review. **
Diane S ☔
Oct 29, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Another series I have followed from the beginning, Pendergast being such an interesting character, his family background intriguing. This one starts exactly where the last one left off. Constance now alone is confronted by a person, thought dead, from her past so this storyline mostly concerns her. She is quite a formidable adversary, and as usual things are not as they appear. There is plenty of action, I thought the beginning of the book with Proctor went on a bit too long and was becoming ...more
Offbalance
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Oh, how are the mighty fallen. When I first discovered Relic, every book that followed was a treat.

Until they weren't.

I can't blame anyone for wanting to ride a gravy train, but this book should have been titled "The Obvious Cash In." The strain on credulity was so great, in terms of plot and character action, even for a series that has previously involved underwater monsters and overgrown man-babies in ways that made sense. I can almost see the phone call:

Publisher: Doug, Linc, you know how m
Ginger
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars for me!
I had a hard time rating this one because I loved what Preston & Child did with a certain plot in The Obsidian Chamber. I thought I would have issues with this plot but they wrote it well.

My issue with The Obsidian Chamber came at the end of the book. I'm not sure if I'm satisfied with how they resolved (view spoiler)
Bob/Sally
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
To fully understand and appreciate the Agent Pendergast novels, you have to look at them in terms of thematic story arcs. The first four novels, ending with Still Life With Crows, were largely standalone supernatural thrillers, distinguished by their magnificently eccentric protagonist. The Diogenes trilogy began a thematic shift towards a gothic sort of family drama, and that shift became the dominant thematic arc of The Helen trilogy.

The three novels that followed were something of a throwback
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I read the first Pendergast book Relic a couple of years ago and since then I have this been a favorite series of mine. It has been an interesting journey where I have learned more about Aloysius Pendergast and his family as the books progress and now here we are at book 16.

Pendergast is missing after the harrowing ending in the last book, and no one knows if he is alive or dead. For Constance, his ward is this a traumatizing experience and she has decided to retreat to the world she is so famil
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-reads
Before you start Obsidian Chamber, ask yourself this: Do I honestly give a fuck about Constance Greene's love life?

Anyone?

Anyone?

If not, I suggest pretending this particular installment of the series doesn't exist. If by chance there is someone out there who finds Constance a less-irritating plot device than I do...well, dearie, do I have a book for you.

Chamber picks up immediately after the conclusion of Crimson Shore, with Pendergast missing and presumed dead and Constance, who suddenly develo
Chad
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Picks up right where Crimson Shore left off. You should definitely read it first. This book is written a little differently as it takes place from many points of view. And there's no real case to solve, just a day in the life (if you will) of the Pendergast cast of characters. Proctor gets to take center stage for a large portion of the book. The book ties up a lot of loose ends and allows for a new direction for the characters in the future.

Received an advance copy from Grand Central Publishing
Terry
The closer I get to catching up with the authors, the sadder I get that I don't have a stack of these books waiting for me. Great writing continues. This was another fun installment, and for me, was 4.5/5.0 stars.
Shaina
Update: Full circle? Maybe. Almost. There is still much to see ahead. I’m still reeling from what all did occur. I was unable to put it down once I reached a certain point.
Yeah, I think I have a book hangover. The next volume awaits. Still a Pendergast fan. #foreverAXL
*****************************************************

Much thinking to do, there is .....
TS Chan
Hmmm... this is probably my least favourite installment of the Pendergast series so far. It's still not a bad book and hence why I rated it 3-stars, but a big part of the story focused on characters whom I'm not a fan of. I need more mysteries with Pendergast, D'Agosta and even Laura Hayward, and much less Constance please.
Steven
First, thanks to Netgalley and Grand Central Publishing for providing me with a copy in exchange for a review!

This book was one plot twist after another... and it seriously relied on the reader having partaken in most of the prior 15 books. Unlike many of the others in the series, which can be read on their own without much series spoilage or backstory needed, this one really brought back a LOT of elements of so many of the prior books and tied up a bunch of stories. Of course, it also left a lo
Rose☮️
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I e been reading the Pendergast series for years and love them. Some of the most entertaining reads. However this one felt lazy and thrown in just as a filler book. I am growing tired of characters dying and coming back to life. This feels like a trend in many stories lately. Please just kill off a character and let them stay dead! Create new and interesting people to move the story forward and in different directions. Not going backwards to old familiar storylines.
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Well, I have so many feelings, yet not much to say. This book was far better than the last of memory serves. But it was a bit predictable. I love and hated almost each character for their selflessness and selfish actions. I hated the ending. It seemed dumb and only because the authors want Pendergast to be aloof. IDK.
Colleen
Dec 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
This felt like a blatant cash grab--I was annoyed and angry throughout the entirety of this book.

I subscribe to these authors' email newsletter, so ages ago (pre Crimson Shore) got an email teasing about a new trilogy planned that would involve the why and how angry New Orleans mob burnt down the Pendergast family home with his mom & dad trapped inside. That's always been a big part of the back story, with luckily a backup mansion built by the deranged Great-Uncle Enoch in New York City. The or
Sue
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Pendergast series by Preston and Child is one of my annual treats. What new, strange and usually odd situation will the Agent and his associates and friends find themselves involved in this time. In this book everything is different as Pendergast is missing and presumed dead as of the end of the last episode, set on the coast of Massachusetts. Now we watch as his ward Constance reels from the loss of the most important person in her life; as Proctor, his bodyguard works to help and protect h ...more
Faith
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
For the most part, it's not necessary to read the Pendergast books in any particular order, however in this case I do think it's best to have read "Crimson Shore" before reading this book. "Obsidian Chamber" picks up shortly after the end of the 15th book in the series. I feared that in the prior book the authors had written themselves into a corner with the relationship between Pendergast and his ward Constance, but I should have had more faith in the authors, because they have resisted the urg ...more
Mark
After the apparent dead of agent Pendergast at the end of the previous book "The crimson Shore" his ward Constance Green is left in deep grief. She is left in his New York mansion pulling away from the world while manservant Proctor watches over her while mrs Trask, the housekeeper, is away taking care of her sick sister.

The mansion gets an unwanted visitor who spirits Constance away from her solitude and grief. Proctor gives chase across three continents to ensure the safety of Constance.

This P
kartik narayanan
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The Obsidian Chamber wildly oscillates between being seriously awesome and downright stupid. I liked the start of the book - like most Pendergast novels, the first act tends to be fast paced and drags the reader into the story. But then, like most Pendergast novels, the rest of the acts start dragging.

A couple of points to note - Pendergast finally realizes that he is responsible for Diogenes. The second is the bloody sitcom like relationship Pendergast & Constance have. I hate this in sitcoms
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
2018 Reading Challenge: has two authors

Well this was much better than they’ve been lately! Vincent and that annoying journalist chick play no roles. They get on my nerves. My only issue is the villain is more of an anti-villain, which is quite out of character. But all-in-all great read
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Pendergast Series Book #16: Diogenes- 3.5 stars ...

I absolutely love this series but this is the first book that didn't really grab me like the others. If you're familiar with this series and characters then you know Aloysius brother' Diogenes usually plays the bad guy role. In this book, he is supposedly turning over a new leaf and he has not only fallen in love with Constance but is giving up his bad boy ways.

I don't think I quite like this "new and improved" version. I just don't buy it so i
Anovelqueen
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: p
Being on such a high from the previous book, Crimson Shore, I was prepared to keep going full throttle. This book did have excitement but it definitely slowed me down in the beginning. It picked back up midway and kept going full speed ahead to a satisfying ending that builds anticipation for the next book.

Not to give away any spoilers, but this is another Pendergast book and it is typically him if you have read any of the other books in the series. It is very difficult to review these books wi
Juli
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such an exciting book! I listened to the audio book format while working in my yard and planting the garden. Definitely keep me totally absorbed in the story the entire time. Made hours of outdoor work whiz right by!

A dangerous figure in both Pendergast's and Constance Green's past comes back in this exciting tale. The cliff hanger ending of Crimson Shore is resolved, and a character I didn't expect to see again popped up to cause all sorts of problems. I feel like this book returns to
Heena Rathore P.
The Obsidian Chamber by Preston and Child is the 16th book in the Pendergast series.

Before I begin the review, I'd like to mention that this is the first book in this series that I've read and although that is almost never a good idea, I wasn't able to resist accepting this title when it was offered to me.

I absolutely loved reading this book. It was equal parts clever, suspenseful, full of unforeseeable twists and chilling and extremely interesting characters. I enjoyed the premise of the plot a
Lukasz
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Pendergast books are among my all-time favourites. Two years ago I read Relic and immeditaely after finishingt it I bought whole series and during two or three months I read only Pendergast. Than each year I was awaiting impatiently next instalment in the series. Blue Labyrinth was great, Crimson SHore was good, Obsidian Chamber disappointed me.

I don't want to spoil things for you but let me say that Epilogue is really, really stupid and illogical - SPOILER: (view spoiler)
Bam cooks the books ;-)
*2.5 stars. I have enjoyed this series since it began with Relic, which was an absolutely riveting horror story. This team of authors continues to write with the same page-turning skill but I wish they'd return to the supernatural quality that made those early books in the series so successful. I find I rather dislike having major characters killed off only to find them back in the story once again--gee, what a surprise (not really.) I've also noticed that long-running series tend to get too dee ...more
Leah Pedder
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
As much as I love this series, I was less than impressed with this book. I felt like the interactions between the characters were not as rich as they have been in the previous novels and in was not as invested on the story line as I had been in the past. I'm hoping that the authors get back to the more mystery based thrillers that I've grown to love in this series.

I received this book for free from GoodReads First Reads.
Jim C
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual rating is 3.5 stars.

This book is part of a series and a direct sequel to the previous book. This is not the book to start with if you are new to this series. In this one, Pendergast is believed to be dead and Constance is on her own. Constance decides to retreat into the sub basement and be a reclusive. Shortly, someone knows where she is hiding and sets off a series of events.

This was a difficult for me to rate. I was intrigued throughout the book and I wanted to see what would happen. T
Shawn Deal
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action
Where this will be a spoiler free review of this novel, I am going to spoil the previous novel in this series, so if you are not that far, don't read the rest of this review.

This was a very different book in the series, perhaps the most different as it diverted from the expected path of almost all the previous novels. Foremost, there is no mystery or case to solve in this particular story. Normally, Agent Axl Pendergast is trying to solve a case, that for whatever reason has intrigued him, and e

• Full Wolf Moon (Jeremy Logan, #5)
  • The Third Gate (Jeremy Logan, #3)
  • The pharoah Key
  • The Forgotten Room (Jeremy Logan, #4)
  • Blue Labyrinth: by Preston & Child (Pendergast Series, Book 14) | Summary & Analysis
  • Deep Storm (Jeremy Logan, #1)
  • Terminal Freeze (Jeremy Logan, #2)
  • Death Match
  • White Fire (Pendergast): by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child -- Analysis
  • Crimson Shore: by Douglas Preston | Pendergast Series Book 15 | Summary & Analysis
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • The Warsaw Protocol (Cotton Malone, #15)
  • Crucible (Sigma Force, #14)
  • Utopia
  • Minutes to Burn
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport #30)
  • The Last Odyssey (Sigma Force, #15)
  • The Bone Labyrinth (Sigma Force, #11)
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more

Pendergast (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Relic (Pendergast, #1)
  • Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3)
  • Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4)
  • Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1)
  • Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6; Diogenes, #2)
  • The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)
  • The Wheel of Darkness (Pendergast, #8)
  • Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, #9)
  • Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)