Start by marking “Alien” as Want to Read:
Alien

Alien

(Alien Movie Novelizations #1)

Based on the screenplay by Dan O'Bannon. The crew of the spaceship Nostromo wake from cryogenic sleep to distress signals from an unknown planet. One is attacked when they investigate a derelict alien craft. Safely on their way back to Sol, none foresee the real horror about to begin. ...more
Audible Audio
Published December 10th 2015 by Audible Studios (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Alien, please sign up.
Will I think 'substantial' is a loaded word to use in this question.

I think 'substantial' is a loaded word to use in this question.

There's a level of cursing you'd expect from the scenario of people working on a tug (naval and space as equal examples) given the bawdy nature of sailors etc. given they are a mix of working class and lower middle class people across a spectrum of officer level down.

Coupled with this there's a killer alien unlike anything ever known before in the mix - I think a nun would succumb to blasphemy when presented with a xenomorph. So I think there is probably the right amount of swearing in this novel given the types of characters and the situation they're in.

I would add that it isn't de trop at any point. I don't think it transcends to gratuitous and is done without merit as per reasons above.(less)
Edwin Baeyens "The Voyage of the Space Beage" (1950) by A.E. Van Vogt was a clear influence on "Alien". You might want to try that. Van Vogt once sued the producers…more"The Voyage of the Space Beage" (1950) by A.E. Van Vogt was a clear influence on "Alien". You might want to try that. Van Vogt once sued the producers of the movie because of similarities with his novel.(less)

Start your review of Alien
Frank Roberts
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10 year old astrobiologists, Mormons
Greatest book in the whole frickin' universe!!! (of course, having read it over 30 years ago this won't be a highly detailed review...)

Now,I was 11 years old when Alien came out. My mom wouldn't let me see R-rated flicks at the time and most older friends & cousins were afraid of my mother so they wouldn't take me either. I couldn't fathom such a cruel existence - a Monster-Movie junkie being denied access to the latest, and possibly greatest, creature flick of all time. Torture. When some hair-
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Most of us know what Alien is about. If you don't, shame on you. The 1979 movie is a classic, and you should watch it.

description

I've known about the novelization for a few years now, so I said it was finally time to give it a try. It didn't disappoint, even if the beginning was a bit rough. Once the action starts, everything runs smoothly.

As with all novelizations, we get a lot more details and nuances. And the facehuggers are described in great detail. A bit too great if you ask me, but that's a matter o
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Alien…a classic, epic movie. Created from a screenplay, they turned around and made the movie, then made the book off the movie/screenplay – one rarely thinks of this book offspring when they hear the word “Alien.” The movie is better too, but for fans of the series, especially completionists, this spawned book is a good addition to the shelves.

I won’t go into the details of the story – what’s the point? If you don’t know the story of Alien, rent it immediately or miss out. The book stays pretty
11811 (Eleven)
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the first film novelization I've ever read. The idea never appealed to me before but this was pretty damn good. It successfully captures the suspense and subtle terror of the film which I am now anxious to watch again. This Foster dude can write and I already bought his sequel, Aliens, even though I'm not a huge fan of the film version on that one. Amazon currently has it for $2 though so I figure it's worth checking out.

Recommended space horror.
Sean O'Hara
If you ever want to see how much movie novelizations have changed in the last forty years, you can't go wrong with Alan Dean Foster's work. Pick up his adaptations of the most recent Star Trek movies and you'll find what is essentially just the script reformatted to prose form -- and not just any script, but the final draft continuity script. No deleted scenes, no character development based upon production notes, and certainly no original input from the author.

But go back to the novelizations h
Luca Signorelli
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the least pretentious and most effective SF books I've ever read, and probably the best film novelization I'm aware of. Follows the Ridley Scott movie quite closely, bit gives the "truckers in space" spin of the characters much greater depth, albeit Ripley is less likeable than in the film. The first part of the story (including the planetoid landing and the alien relic exploration) is given much more space than in the movie, while the second part is more compressed. A nice page turner! ...more
Inkspill
I’ve now seen the Director’s Cut of this movie – and when I finished watching it I knew I wanted to revise this.

To watch the movie again, wow!! phenomenal does not cover it – the sets, especially the intricate detail (the kind that requires a labour of love), reminded me of how visual impact matters to Ridley Scott. I could watch this movie frame by frame, the mise-en-scene is stunning in its brooding dark palette.

Though, watching this with surround sound could have completely distracted me to
Scott Rhee
I don't normally read novelizations, but when I do, I read Alan Dean Foster's novelizations. (Okay, that sounded like a beer commercial…)

Part of the reason is that Foster seems to single-handedly write ALL movie novelizations, especially those in the sci-fi/fantasy/horror genre. So, if you're going to read a novelization, more than likely, it's been written by Foster.

Ridley Scott's "Alien" is, in my opinion, one of the best horror movies ever made. It's so creepy and horrifying, it gives me goos
Isa Lavinia
It literally only got interesting on page 171...
Tragic considering how great the movie is.
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This adaptation of the original screenplay for the first Alien film; tries hard to capture the terror and pacing of the movie. It succeeds to a degree. Some of my favorite movies are based on novels. Official movie novelization is not really as successful in my opinion. So I've reserved a Blu-ray of the film at my local library to give it another view as it's been years since I've seen it. ...more
Mark
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the movies
Recommended to Mark by: the movie
Shelves: scifi, cinema
A novelsisation of the movie that scared the living daylights out of me, and that after I read this book. I did read the book before since there was no chance in a snowballs' hell my mother was allowing me to see the actual movie in cinema. So as a good kid I found a 2nd hand copy and read the book before I ever saw the movie, and when I did on VHS I did not tell anybody at home, my sisters being snitches and such.

Alien the brilliant visual conception of GIGER and it does fall short in the book
Estevam (Impish Reviews)
it is pretty good, the acess to the characters thoughts really enhance the experience, and the scene with the chest burster is very agonizing, i would say this one is for people who liked the movie and would want to have a more intimate relation with the characters.
Graham
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Not a bad novelisation as they go but not a patch on the film. ALIEN is the first of a trilogy by Alan Dean Foster, in which he based his novelisations on the screenplays rather than the finished movies. As H. R. Giger came up with the look of the alien after the screenplay was finished, we're left with little to no description of the adult alien here; just a bogeyman's hand reaching down to catch its unsuspecting victims.

Given that Ridley Scott's film is a widely acknowledged sci-fi/horror mast
Karen
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, sci-fi
More detail and a bit more tense than the movie. The characters are more real. I enjoyed it and would recommend.
Kyle J Durrant
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book, but one that differs somewhat from the film on which it is based.

Alien follows the unfortunate crew of the commercial starship Nostromo as they are sent to respond to a distress signal, which soon leads to one of the most famous survival horror situations in pop culture.

The story is great, with varied, well-written characters and a sustained sense of dread and claustrophobia; the narrative does a wonderful job establishing how little space the crew have available to them, and how t
Shannon
This was a bit of an odd read as it's a novelization of the film Alien, and that is a film that I know very well. So well that I could pick out every time the dialogue was different, and almost any differences in terms of the plot. I'm sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing!

One reason I enjoy reading adaptations after seeing a film is to learn more about the characters. In this case, that didn't work out to well because I learned things I wish I hadn't (usually in a gender crap way). Anothe
Love of Hopeless Causes
I just lost a review I'd been working on for two hours, so now I'm honked off. Conclusion: if you want to read books that don't make you sleepy, try those with a single point of view that don't have a cast of a thousand dullards.

Alien is highly enjoyable for those who like such things. Five stars, if not for the mushy beginning and universal point of view. No doubt Foster could write a better book, but it wouldn't match the script and deadline conditions he was probably under. Corporations suck
Adam Christopher
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2021
A master class in the art of movie novelisation.
Donovan
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller, sci-fi
I saw the film when I was 9 years old. It has given me nightmares well in to my 30's. This is great stuff!!!
After getting past the initial shock of watching the movie at such a young age, I went and bought the Alien Story Picture book and then in my early teen years I read the novel. It is a great read and really captures the haunting aspects of the movie. Everything you wanted was there with additional content you didn't see in the movies until Ridley Scott released a Director's Cut around 2004
Tina
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-legit
Worth a read, well, the first part at least. Out of 270 pages, the first half comprises of the first twenty minutes of the movie. And, to be honest, this is the best part of the book! Overall, the characters are far better developed in the movie and the alien itself isn't described at all (plus, we all know the plot), but the exploration of the alien ship is fantastic; it's intriguing and suspenseful. These scenes are almost from another story - there is a mystery and danger that I never felt wh ...more
Eyehavenofilter
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-worlds
This thing scared the bejesus out of me! Wholly mackerel! I had to grip the chair I was in. I broke into a cold sweat every time I picked this up to read it. I could NOT do it all in one sitting ' cause it was too intense. I like being scared, but seriously folks this was sheer terror. Something that could adapt to any atmosphere and is undestroyable? SHOOT me now, please? Poke me in the neck with a wooden stick HARD, repeatedly till I die before that thing gets to me!
Whew! Was all I could think
Pixi Jo
Honestly the movie creeped me out big time! I saw 'Aliens' before I saw 'Alien' so I thought I was ready for the experience but crumbs, my tummy still tightens up at the thought of a wee alien embryo making it's home in my belly and then deciding it's time to move on in life...seriously you think tapeworms are bad? At least the two of you are in it together - aliens however are extremely selfish!

Anyway...

When I saw this book I was like, "Yes Please, Swiss cheese!" and read the whole thing quick
Erik
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is sort of the "Shake and Bake" of books: Take one famous movie script, add one very decent author, shake the two together to make the script a pleasing, more palatable read, and Ta Daaa! You get a very nicely done book that mirrors the movie but adds some polish and chrome.

I'm not going to get into the storyline... everyone alive today knows it. Foster does shine this story up though and manages to add some subtle flavors that really do enhance the experience. I really enjoyed the read, a
Jason Ramey
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I’m not afraid of the dark I know. It’s the dark I don’t that terrifies me.”
― Alan Dean Foster, Alien: The Official Movie Novelization
Hand of Fear
Jan 26, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The film surpasses the book in every single way, the writing in this book is simplistic and boring.
David
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good complement to the movie, and a competent novelization. Hard to capture the atmosphere or intense atmosphere and creepiness of the movie, though.
Rishabh
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
James Big Cat
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edit- just re-watched the movie and it made me appreciate the book even more

Great read for the fans, this one mostly fleshes out the crew of the Nostromo and doesn't add much else.
My favorite part was the scene that took place from Jones the cats POV lol
Matt Byrde
I was about 13 when I first read Alien, not being allowed by my parents to see the movie as it was probably too scary for my young and fragile little mind. I found a copy at the library, the old 1979 hardcover version with cover art depicting a lone astronaut navigating an alien tunnel. As the cover didn't have the now iconic green, glowing alien egg design from the movie poster, my Mom probably didn't see this book as a movie tie-in, but instead another in the long line of benign astro-mystery, ...more
jas
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who is well acquainted with me knows how much I just love the Alien film franchise, so I made sure to include a few of its novelisations in my next book haul after hearing good things.

I've seen the original Alien film countless of times and yet I still enjoyed experiencing this familiar suspenseful, sci-fi horror story in a different format. I already knew the grizzly fate of the Nostromo and its crew, with only very few details altered, and yet I was still terrified because it is a story
Horror Aficionados : The Alien Franchise is simply amazing! 9 31 Nov 21, 2018 07:04PM
Which is better, Alien or The Thing? 2 7 May 18, 2018 10:11AM
Can you help me figure out this book? 2 8 Apr 08, 2018 04:34PM
Can't recall the names of the books! 2 28 May 26, 2014 09:38AM

• Alien: River of Pain (Canonical Alien trilogy, #3)
  • Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #2)
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Alien: Out of the Shadows (Canonical Alien Trilogy, #1)
  • Alien: The Cold Forge
  • Aliens: Earth Hive
  • Aliens: Bug Hunt
  • Alien: Prototype
  • Alien: The Illustrated Story
  • Aliens vs. Predator: Prey (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 1)
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • Frozen Hell
  • The Predator
  • Batman
  • Predator: Incursion (The Rage War #1)
  • Aliens vs. Predator: Hunter's Planet (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 2)
  • Alien: Invasion (The Rage War #2)
  • Alien III
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more

Alien Movie Novelizations (5 books)
  • Aliens
  • Alien³
  • Alien Resurrection
  • Alien: Covenant

News & Interviews

“I’m not afraid of the dark I know. It’s the dark I don’t that terrifies me.” 3 likes
“A man with a gun may hunt a tiger during the day with some expectation of success. Turn out his light, put the man in the jungle at night, surround him with the unknown and all his primitive fears return. Advantage to the tiger.” 2 likes