Start by marking “Bite (Wastelanders #1)” as Want to Read:
Bite (Wastelanders #1)

Bite

(The Wastelanders #1)

Welcome to the Wasteland, a post-apocalyptic world where lawlessness reigns, and around every bend is another pack of bloodthirsty raiders.
Kid is trying to survive in a world gone mad.
Hungry, thirsty and alone in a desert wasteland, she's picked up on the side of the road by Wolf, Dolly, Tank and Pretty Boy - outlaws with big reputations and even bigger guns.

But
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published July 26th 2016 by Orbit

Start your review of Bite (Wastelanders #1)
karen
i totally misjudged the tone of this book before reading it. the cover and “mad max with cannibals” angle fooled me into thinking this would be a fun horror novel to read for spooktober but, while it was indeed fun, it isn’t horror. it’s a pure picaresque drawn in very broad strokes - stock characters, typical post-apoc wasteland setting, survivors of the fittest with adaptive moral compasses, and more functional weapons and bullets than should exist so long after the end of manufacturing - you ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/08/19/...

The publisher description for Bite is pretty vague, but I actually think this works in favor of the novel. When you pick up a book set in a post-nuclear apocalypse wasteland and speculate on what the story might be about, probably a whole slew of other things will enter your mind before you think, “cannibals”. But it does make a lot of sense, doesn’t it?

In this ruined world after the bombs fell, survival ain’t easy. Lack o
Justine
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
An awesomely funny and horrific post-apocalyptic story.

Bite is a terrific debut that has the feeling of a cult classic about it. Although the plot is fairly straightforward, the main characters are colourful and wonderfully developed. It is by turns funny and violent; filled with guns, knives, and profanity. Think Pulp Fiction meets Mad Max in a post-nuclear wasteland.

Not for everyone, but for fans of the genre, a winner.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Bite, K. S. Merbeth’s entertaining debut, shines like the bright star it is as we follow a ragtag group of misfits with no sense of self-preservation and an unholy love of violence. Fans of post-apocalyptic movies like Mad Max will find plenty to love in this bloody debut. If you are bothered by severed body parts, you should perhaps skip this one, but if you are one of those readers who like to see their characters swimming in blood, this is an excellent choice for you.

16-year-old Kid accepts a
Michael Hicks
My original BITE audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Bite, a post-apocalyptic offering from new author K.S. Merbeth, comes with a neat little hook with its focus on cannibal wasteland scavengers and killers, but I would have enjoyed a little more meat on the bone.

Kid, a young woman hitchhiking her way through the irradiated ruins of Australia, accepts a ride, only to learn she’s bit off way more than she can chew. In short order, she soon finds herself a part of t
Hunter Shea
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow. I never thought I'd cheer on a band of cannibals! Bite is a non-stop thrill ride through an apocalyptic wasteland. One of the most entertaining, exciting books I've read all year!
Cheryl
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Post-apocalypse Mad Max type of story. It was about 100 pages too long. (I skimmed the second half.) This would've been a much better graphic novel. The story is told through the perspective of Kid, a sixteen year old girl. I thought she was annoying. The book has lots of action, though.
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always my fellow bookish peeps on Goodreads, this review can also be found on my blog: TheTattooedBookGeek.wordpress.com

I received a free copy of the book courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Bite is a post-apocalyptic adventure taking place in a desolate and barren wasteland filled with all sorts of weird, wonderful and vicious characters.

The book tells the tale of Kid, a youngish girl (16yrs old) who is left alone wandering in the wastes at the beginning before joining
Ashley

In all my life, I have never ever rooted for cannibals, and then this book happened. It was a madcap, post-apocalyptic wasteland adventure. It was bloody, gross, violent, and a whole lot of fun. Wolf, Tank, Pretty Boy, Dolly, and Kid are a ragtag team that I'm rooting for, even when they are killing literally everyone in their path just because. They aren't really the good guys, but in a way, I want them to win.
Bite is written in such a fun, strange way. It's got a very dark sense of humor to it
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
Video Review: https://youtu.be/4LiFyq-GaW0

I originally heard this book described as Mad Max mixed with Borderlands. Since I love both the movie and the video game, I was immediately wanted to read this book. I am now happy to report that these comparisons are entirely accurate.

Bite is a fast-paced adventure story that jumps right into the middle of the action. From the first page, the story takes off at a lightning-fast paced and barely gives the reader a moment to breath. This book wou
Lata
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Violent, funny, tense, grungy. Wasn't sure what to expect when I started this, but I really liked this story of Kid who falls in with an odd group who would normally be the bad guys in a story, but who end up being the good guys, despite...stuff. This is a harsh, unforgiving world, post-nuclear war, and everyone's living on the edge.
Wolf, leader of the band, is frequently funny and a little crazy. Dolly was wonderful -- do not on pain of death mess with this woman. Tank was a sweetheart, and Kid
Paul
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picture this, the world has gone to Hell in a hand cart. Three hot meals and a comfortable place to sleep are nothing but a distant memory. Society has all but collapsed, and what remains has devolved into chaos. Everywhere bands of bloodthirsty raiders travel the radioactive wastelands killing and, if you’re really unlucky, eating you. The choices you have left are more than a little limited. In fact, there is really only one question left to answer – what exactly would you be prepared to do in ...more
Lisa
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, dystopia
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2016/0...

4.5/5 stars

Bite is not the book I was expecting, but I loved every minute of it. For some reason, when I read the synopsis for this book, I got it in my head this was a horror book which was completely wrong. Don’t get me wrong, there are some horrors in the book and world, but it’s a very exciting post-apacolyptic story that follows the journey for survival by one young woman. The world and land has been devastated by nuclear
Tracett
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bite is a fun post-apocalyptic romp. Mix up a cannibalistic A Team into a Mad Max world and you've got the gist of Bite. I enjoyed every action slammed moment.
Karen Bullock
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC--absolutely loved it. I am not now nor have ever been a fan of zombies or cannibals--so this book was completely out of the box of my comfort zone. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. Spent many hours reading into the night and went to work the next day, very tired because I kept saying, "one more chapter"!!!
Fast, action packed, gory, and a scary futuristic outlook makes this book work.
Carolyn F.
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Who knew I would find a group of cannibals sympathetic characters? From the book, this same group thought the same thing.

This was a really harsh dystopian world with not much redeeming about how it has turned out. Wolf is kind sometimes, picking up Kid, and cruel other times, handing her an arm to eat. I loved Tank, my favorite of the whole bunch, even if he did keep cubed human meat to garnish his dishes. A surprisingly likable book.
Luc of Swords
May 23, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: checked
Did anybody said Mad Max?
I'm fucking in
Max Beuvelet
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best books i have ever read, there was action in every page and was a lot of fun to read, i recommend this book to everyone
Angela
Apr 13, 2018 marked it as deals  ·  review of another edition
13 April 2018: $0.99 on Kindle ...more
Marnie Zorn
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I wasn't expecting too much from this but was pleasantly surprised, it was a lot of fun!
Jennrin
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Want Mad Max watered down? Boy, have I got the book for you!

So this wasn't what I was expecting. I was hoping for an ethical discussion of cannibalism in a post-apocalyptic setting with morally grey characters and lots of gore. This... isn't that. The "antihero" characters aren't really that grey. Sure, they're not nice and they kill people but they're never really THAT bad and it's always people who deserve it.

The humor feels like that Marvel brand of humor. Like where everyone makes jokes and
LilyElement
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bite is a book set in a post-apocalyptic environment and is showing how people are surviving. Everything is pretty much a desert wasteland and people are doing anything they can to survive. Our leading lady is a sixteen-year-old who is referred to as Kid. She's wandering around by herself when a group of people stop by and offer her a ride. Against her better judgment, she joins them and heads to a nearby town. She finds out too late that they're there to raid the town and that they're sharks (a ...more
Kazima
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was ok. That's what two stars means, so don't think I'm saying it's bad, it's just ok. I must admit that I was mislead by some of the promotion around this book and was expecting an exploration of the human psyche and what would push a "normal" person to cannibalism in a post apocalyptic world. What I got was a light and quick little story that reads like a teenagers Fallout fan-fiction, that is so tame and squeaky clean that the idea that women prostitute themselves for food and shelter is s ...more
Gemma
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
How can someone write a book where I end up sympathising with the cannibals? Somehow, Wolf and his crew aren't the worst in this world. Really enjoyed this book and am interested to see where the series goes. Though I am still not over what Merbeth did to one of the characters. (I'm a leaf on the wind, see me soar)
Sachin Dev
Fizzing wth adrenaline, bazookas and badassery in a nuclear wasteland

Bite, the first book in the Wastelanders saga by KS Merbeth is a fun read, set in the post-apocalyptic barren earth ravaged by nuclear war. Unlike my first impressions about the book when I saw that chilling cover, the book subverted all my standard expectations - of this possibly being a romp in the dirty deserts with some flesh-craving zombies. Instead what we get, is an engrossing and highly immersive story of this young gi
Jordan Anderson
And to think I broke my impressive streak of like 14 or 15 straight Star Wars related reading material to read this...

Ok, I know that’s a little bit harsh, being that I didn’t go as low as to give Bite a one-star rating, but still, talk about a book that had so much potential, only to be squandered amongst horrible characters, crap dialogue and a plot that brought absolutely nothing new to the post apocalyptic table.

The thing is that in and of itself, Bite isn’t a truly horrible novel, especiall
Tobin Elliott
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hard-copy, fiction, horror, sf
It's funny how I can pick up highly-touted books that have received the full marketing push by their publishers, books that are getting much acclaim, and they leave me cold. Then I can find a book I didn't know existed, by an author I've never heard of in the back of a craft store that has a dog's breakfast of romance and action novels, all marked down to $3.00, and it's just a whole lot of fun.

That's Bite. I bought this novel a couple of months back with absolutely no expectations other than, i
Eric
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a fun little mad max style novel, good for when you want a break from anything remotely serious. Thankfully doesn't deal with most of the topics that would involve defenseless young women in a post-apocalyptic world, as that would mess with the story and the tone and just bring it down. So none of that awful stuff occurs, people do die but they are not tortured to death or anything grim like that. Not very deep as a novel but nice little touches to subvert parts of what a normal plotline wo ...more
Matt Smith
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not your typical coming of age story

You know it's a good story when you consider yourself a well-adjusted, moral person; and you find yourself rooting for the cannibals. Why give away any more spoilers though? If you're interested in a post apocalyptic story with heart(s), then you owe it to yourself to read this. It's a blast!
Rex Anderson
Straight outta high school

Everything about this novel is mediocre. I cogratulate the author for completing and publishing a work of fiction, but this is not good writing by any measure. Keep up the work so that some day you'll be able to purge this mess of a sci Fi novel from your catalogue.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Dead (The Enemy, #2)
  • The Forgotten Island
  • Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1)
  • Grantville Gazette Volume 81 (Grantville Gazette #81)
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle #1)
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • The Wolf of Oren-Yaro (Chronicles of the Bitch Queen, #1)
  • Highfire
  • Last Ones Left Alive
  • Fortuna (Nova Vita Protocol, #1)
  • Prudence (The Custard Protocol, #1)
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors (The Risen Kingdoms, #1)
  • Hunter Killer (Pike Logan #14)
  • The Outside

The Wastelanders (2 books)
  • Raid

News & Interviews

“I can do this," I say. "On my own. Let me prove it." He doesn't look convinced. "Come on, give me a chance to be the hero for once." I pause. "Or... the villain? I'm still a little confused about where we stand as far as that goes?"
"Don't think about it too hard, you'll hurt yourself," he says.”
0 likes
“I don't seem very useful. I don't look big or tough or strong. And yet here I am, in the middle of your fancy base." I gesture to the room around me, and feel the shaking in my hands subside. "Before I even met these guys, I was wandering the wastes alone. Completely alone. Do you even know what that's like?"
Saint is silent, studying my face. I swallow and continue. "Not a lot of people do. 'Cause most people who end up alone just die, and that's the end of that. But not me. I joined a crew of goddamn sharks. I ate human flesh to survive. I learned to shoot. To kill. I blew the Queen's head off. I watched a friend die yesterday and I still came here to kick some ass." I take a deep breath, feel my chest rise and fall, the words nearly tumbling out of my mouth now. "And you think I'm not good enough for your mess of an army? Just 'cause I'm a little girl? Well, fuck you. I'm worth two of your guards, and tomorrow I'll be worth four of 'em, and eventually the whole lot. Because that's who I am, and that's what I do. I survive.”
0 likes