Start by marking “Книгата на всички неща” as Want to Read:
Книгата на всички неща

Книгата на всички неща

“Чух иглата да пада – написа Томас в “Книгата на всички неща”. – Издаде такъв звук, сякаш някой пищеше в далечината.”

Това не е просто поредната история за домашно насилие и за трудно детство. Тук ангелите съществуват. Музиката става видима. Парче сурово месо крещи върху фино изписана порцеланова чиния. Дървена лъжица се превръща в змей. Страхът и срамът пулсират зад изобра
Published May 11th 2017 by Жанет 45 (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Книгата на всички неща, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Книгата на всички неща

Start your review of Книгата на всички неща
Manny
Manny had liked The Book of Everything so much that he decided he would read it in the original. He ordered a copy.

"But you don't know Dutch," said his friend.

"I don't care," said Manny.

"It'll be like when we went to to Ireland," said his friend. "Or when we went to Turkey. You bought an Irish grammar and a Turkish grammar, and after we came home you never looked at them again."

"We'll see what happens this time," said Manny.

The book arrived. Manny opened it and started reading. It was very diffi
Manny
"Have you read The Book of Everything?" asked Sarah. "You might like it."

Manny said that he didn't usually read translated books. But he politely opened it and read the first page, and then the second page. Pretty soon he had read a whole lot of pages. He tried to imagine what it sounded like in Dutch, and he could almost hear the words.

"Shouldn't you be working?" asked someone.

"I've almost finished," said Manny without looking up. He wanted to find out if Jesus would stop Thomas's father from h
Cheryl Klein
I edited this book, so I'm completely biased here, but it is amazing. The facts are that it is a magic-realist atheistic translated novel set in the Netherlands post-World War II, featuring domestic violence, a protagonist who has visions, the disappearance of God, and Jesus Christ as a minor character (he's judged to be fairly useless). The truth is that it is the story of Thomas Klopper learning to be happy. It is certainly not for everyone, but it is fearless and marvelous, and its happy endi ...more
E.H. Alger
Apr 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went out and bought 'The Book of Everything' after reading a review in which it was described as virtually the most perfect little book ever written.

Amazingly, I wasn't disappointed. It is an exquisite little miracle. It might be written for children but I defy any adult not to be moved and uplifted by it. I've read it several times now and have fallen in love each time. It is astonishing that such a slim volume (it probably doesn't take much more than an hour to read) can contain so much - ma
Bregje
I read this for the first time when I was around ten. I remember liking it, but this impacted me a lot more when I read it again when I was 20. The writing is pretty simple and yet it tells such a powerful story. I know for sure that I will reread this many times.
Sue Cowing
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have lent or given this book to almost everyone I know who reads. It's the outstanding book I have read since the millenium. Brief but unforgettable for its characters, its humanity, its language. Apparently author Kuijer is very well known and liked in Europe, but this is the only one of his books translated into English. ...more
Demet
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Children are sacred. They are innocence, beauty and wonder. Thomas is all of these things and more. He sees things no one else can, like the angels crying for his mother every time his father beats her. His heart is so big it leaps off the page and becomes a part of yours. A beautiful, heartbreaking and magical book.
Olga
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
The heartbeat becomes uneven when Margot starts singing at the dinner table, and the lump grows in the throat when Thomas gets a wooden spoon and goes upstairs. With all my consciousness, I am trying to convince myself that this story is not a scary one, but it brings enough fear for me to go back to every other sentence and reread it hoping it may change.
I believe in the importance of discussing such topics as domestic violence in children's literature, and in the importance of doing it in the
Vivian
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful children's book with a very intriguing storyline about God, acceptance and developing yourself. Lots of interesting characters and it really made me think about how kids see religion. Still thinking a lot about the ending, and really fascinated by the depth of the story. Amazing. ...more
Iris
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
6 out of 5 stars. Yes, it's that good.
[Review originally posted at Iris on Books]

Before I say anything else, can I just mention that this is, easily, among my favourite reads of this year and may very well make it to the favourite books of all time list.

I mention this to prepare you for lots of gushing going on in this post. But, mind you, it is well-earned.

The Book of Everything is the story of a boy called Thomas. Thomas knows what he wants to be when he grows up: he is going to be happy. But
Mia

Miss Jaggers
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: university-stuff
More like 4,5/5

This is the second Dutch-book that I finished and I'm super happy (or should I say gelukkig?) about it.
Definitely, the children books are not just for children (or, at least, what I've read so far and what I've heard so far about them and I'm mostly talking about Dutch books).
This book was a pleasant surprise because even if I'm not a fan of the subject, I was really eager to find out what's happening and I really like the characters.
Nicholas Whyte

It's quite a fascinating package, and very short at only 100 pages; Kuijer gives a very strong sense of a repressed Dutch society of the early 1950s, still coming to terms with the recent war and occupation (Thomas, the central character, is 9 so would have been born in 1942), combined with some startling magical realism as Thomas and the slightly sorcerous neighbour call down the plagues of Egypt on his wife-beating father. The line that sticks with me is
Lara
In this book there is a scene where Thomas and his family discuss what books are about. The sister says love, the father says God, the mother says God and love. But this book is about EVERYTHING.
And I fell in love with EVERYTHING about this book.
Everything about this book is moving or (bitter)sweet, sad or heart-warming, wise, truthful, cute, honest, beautiful, amazing, wonderful. There aren't even enough adjectives to describe this book's awesomeness. It doesn't have more than a hundred pages
Pam Saunders
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RhiannaH
An intricate story that touches upon sensitive issues including domestic violence and religion. This book would be useful to incorporate when approaching these topics as well as during discussions regarding bravery and courage. An emotional story but the continuous threads of hope and willingness to be happy by the main character maintain a healthy balance of emotions to be felt by the reader.
Niel
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweeping read. A book hasn't made me laugh as much in so few pages. I was excited about the whole thing from start to end.
Under the reflection of a thinking child, Thomas ( apparently chosen deliberately), the subtle subject was still impressed on me on the helpless impact of fanaticism on violence. This remains a concern mostly from here.
Really enjoyed it, very visceral.
maddy12100
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Year 12 Drama class performed the theatre adaption of this book and I grew to love the story. So I thought I would read the original. So much is packed into such a small book. I grew attached to characters and came to understand my role in the play much more! Great read.:)
Libraryangel
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant! It has some of the most beautiful memorable lines I have ever read. I want to share this book with the entire world. It now owns my heart. Do something nice for yourself and read this book ASAP!
Michael Earp
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
It gets me. Every. Single. Time.
This book is my antidote to life's woes.
Lotte Inkenhaag
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rereading this childhood favourite of mine made me love it even more...
Jules
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-book-shelf
I will remember this book. I hope to read it again one day.
Kingaroo
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sad beautiful story
Amy Holiday
It's been awhile since I finished this, and I think I'm a little confused about how I feel about it. The characters were all lifelike and compelling, even the Dad, and I was drawn in by the simple writing. But I'm a little unclear about how the story resolved itself. Maybe the reader isn't meant to know? Also, not a huge fan of the misleading title. Still, I liked it well enough. Wish there had been a little more to the ending though. ...more
Joelie
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Jenkins
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good read. I liked how the author wrote with perspectives of other characters rather than just Thomas, the protagonist. It is written in a way that makes you feel as Thomas does. It was funny, sad, and yet it made you think about people really in that situation. I rated it four stars out of five because of the childish writing in parts of the book. Overall this was a good book and I really think most of you should read it.
Vilém Zouhar
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's impossible to read this book in other way than in one breath. I've never read a fiction about domestic abuse before, but.. this is really something. Read it. You won't forget the warmness that easily. ...more
Bob
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marvelous story with elements of spiritual magic, perhaps, or call it what you will, in the life of a small boy. Jesus talks to him, the plagues of Egypt begin to happen on his street, and his sister turns out to be an ally rather than as dumb as an onion.
Liothe
The same author who wrote on of my favorite childhood books, "The Black Rocks". Perhaps this one will be of equal calibre. ...more
Jen
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i knew i'd really like it, and i did. it was tender and dissenting in a really special way. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Can You Whistle, Johanna?
  • Minoes
  • Я, Ніна
  • Dolfje Weerwolfje
  • Bezmatek
  • Nidstången (Pax, #1)
  • Uit het leven van een hond
  • Het hele leven
  • Тореадори з Васюківки
  • Stelle di cannella. L'ombra di Hitler sulla vita di David e del suo gatto
  • Alaska
  • Бог дивовижних людей та інших грішників
  • Der Sprung
  • Beste broers
Guus Kuijer is a Dutch author. He wrote books for children and adults, and is best known for the “Madelief” series of children's books. For his career contribution to "children's and young adult literature in the broadest sense" he won the “Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award “from the Swedish Arts Council in 2012, the biggest prize in children's literature. As a children's writer he was one of five fi ...more