Start by marking “The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1)

The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow

(The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,898 ratings  ·  404 reviews
You are cordially invited to attend the Grand Opening of Sinclair’s department store!

Enter a world of bonbons, hats, perfumes and MYSTERIES around every corner. WONDER at the daring theft of the priceless CLOCKWORK SPARROW! TREMBLE as the most DASTARDLY criminals in London enact their wicked plans! GASP as our bold heroines, Miss Sophie Taylor and Miss Lilian Rose, CRACK C
Published June 4th 2015 by Egmont

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow, please sign up.
Mollie Fredrickson I suppose 9-11/middle school, but I am 24 and love it.
Deirdre Yes, something valuable is stolen, the only witness is shot, and Sophie (our heroine) and her friends have to solve the mystery.

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1)
Stacey (prettybooks)
This is a review of both The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow and The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth, but does not contain spoilers about either.

I'm a big fan of middle grade mysteries, so The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow was pretty high on my TBR. I've always enjoyed ornate department stores. I love taking my time, carefully discovering the delights each floor has to offer (I must admit, the food hall is a firm favourite). Sinclair's, a luxury department store in London's Piccadilly, is the p
Robin Stevens
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a delicious cross between Philip Pullman's Sally Lockheart series and Mr Selfridge, a warm, fun and extremely mysterious book that sweeps you up into a glittering world of department-store marvels. Full of history, mystery and plenty of BUNS.
Annet
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
You are cordially invited to attend the grand opening of Sinclair's department store... a splendid adventure awaits you....

This is just a really delightful book to read. For children/YA, but I thought I'd take a trip back to memory lane, this being the type of book I loved to read as a kid. Being a big fan of Edith Blyton's 'Five' (have to reread!). This book was recommended to me in Waterstone's, but I doubted and left it in the store. Next visit, I just couldn't resist it. Cover is really c
Hilary
Oct 02, 2020 added it
I read the first few chapters as a read aloud. It was a nice enough mystery involving a department store. Had we continued, I don't think this would have rated anymore than a 3 star for either of us so we gave up to move on to (hopefully) higher rating reads.

I think this woukd make a good book for children to read to themselves, a good school library choice, not too challenging.
Kathryn
3.5 STARS

The story excels in its descriptions of the fictitious Sinclair's Department Store in London (based on Selfridge's Dept. Store, right down to the enigmatic, charismatic pop-star of an owner) but it failed to be a captivating mystery. Most of the clues were dropped on one page, only to be solved swiftly and miraculously by one of the characters on the very next page, leaving very little for the reader to try to puzzle out. And though a few of the "big reveals" were surprises to me, it wa
Amélie Boucher
Sep 27, 2020 rated it liked it

A solid start to the series!

While it isn't a new favorite, I did quite enjoy it. I'm absolutely in love with the setting. The story is set in the early 1900s in a department store in London, and I loved how atmospheric the writing was. I could feel as if I was in London with the characters.

I also quite like our main characters. While the group is quite eclectic, I found myself quite enjoying reading from their perspective. My personal favorites are Lilian (aka a QUEEN) and Billy.

Howe
Nicole
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-reading, netgalley
So, this book. THIS BOOK. Seriously, possibly one of my biggest joys of the year so far.

It reminded me of a London I always dreamed about. When I was very little my Grandma used to take me on days out in the West End, and we'd often end up in a fancy hotel or Harrods and she'd tell me about the London of her youth. I know that my grandma is definitely not old enough to remember London in the 1910s, and yet still, I was reminded of it. When Sophie first encounters Sinclairs, I remember first vis
Maddie
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
This book in one sentence? Nancy Drew in a department store.
Katerina  Kondrenko
6.5 out of 10

It reminds me of my favorite children detectives from a old times. This book is nicely decorated and written, so if you want a piece of teen-ish mystery in historical colors - go ahead)
ღ Ruqs ღ
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-reads, 2018
This book is such an enjoyable book. The setting. The characters. The plot. EVERYTHING IS SO BEAUTIFUL.

things I liked about it:

it was really well-written
the whole setting!! Sinclair’s department store is sooo lovely to read about!
the characters (Sophie… and Lil!!)
the plot (ahhh.. it will suck you right in)

“I commend you on your efforts. Really I do. You have surprised me, and that does not happen very often.”

Sophie Taylor is someone you can relate to from the beginning, and Lil (Lillian) Rose is
Claire Huston
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is like a slice of perfect cake: light, fluffy, delicious and ideal to enjoy when curled up with a nice up of tea.

I was lured towards this book by the delightful, gold-embossed cover. Inside, the story is also peppered with cute illustrations. And "cute" and "delightful" are good words for this story. The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow is what you get if you mash together Nancy Drew, The Famous Five, Sherlock Holmes and set the action in a glittering London department store at the s
Megan
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
didn't love this as much as I wanted to but hopefully will prefer the rest of the series! https://youtu.be/1bfLLLLLeog ...more
Lauren
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book!! It was a great Victorian detective romp with two strong lead female characters - Sophie and Lil.

If you like Mr Selfridge and The Paradise you will love this - it's set in a large London department store (Sinclair's) where the namesake's precious jewels are set to go on display in the grand Exhibition Hall for the opening night when Mr Edward Sinclair's priceless clockwork sparrow goes missing. It's up to our two heroines along with Billy, an apprentice porter, and Joe, a for
Amelia Talbot
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sophie is working for Sinclair's and the big opening is coming up. All helping hands are needed. Everyone has been wanting for this. Sophie needs this job and she gets tangled up in a big clump of danger. Why would someone want to ruin the store when it seems that everyone can't wait? Sophie quickly makes friends and competes against the other snobby shop girls, who try to make he look bad at everything. But Sophie knows she can do it because she is a hard working independent woman.

This is proba
Lata
I have a number of thoughts about this book, some positive, some not so much. So here goes:

4 stars:
-The adventure and developing friendship amongst Sophie and Lil, and Billy and Joe was well executed. I liked the way they came together and began supporting each other and relying on each others’ skills as they worked through the puzzling situation that resulted from the theft of the Clockwork Sparrow at Sinclair’s department store.
-Also, the author does a wonderful job of describing Sinclair’s,
Daphne
This was a fun and sweet book. A middle grade mystery in a charming setting with fun characters, I really enjoyed it.

Initially I was planning to only read this first book, but by the end I was attached enough to the characters to seek out the second one. Sophie, Lil, Joe, and Billy are a very fun group of characters. I also really liked the setting and the descriptions of the store. The mystery itself wasn't really what captivated me, but I was curious to figure it out.

I'm curious to see how the
Jada Coburn
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this book was really good. It takes place in 1909 and things were very different then. If you like a good mystery this book is for you!
Izzy Smith
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Stunning. Amazing. Brilliant. There are so many words to describe this book. It was funny, mysterious, and overall the best mystery book I've ever read! Has to be a five star!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😁
Rabiah
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, arc
**4.5 stars**

Originally posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/2...

This book was part of the large stack that Pansing sent me. I’d never heard of The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow before, but it sounded really intriguing so I decided to pick it up. This book was such a delight! I love historical-fiction and I love mystery–growing up I would be the kind of child that would read Enid Blyton books endlessly, so this was the perfect revival. It was like an amazing mashup of The Grand Buda
Suze Lavender
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Because of some bad luck Sophie has to find a job and that means her childhood is over all of a sudden. Fortunately she finds a position at Sinclair's, a department store. She wants to do well and she's pretty, so not every girl she's working with is friendly to her. When someone steals a precious artefact from the store Sophie has to find out what happened. It will be very important for her future. Fortunately she has friends she can count on who are helping her to find out more.

The Mystery of
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I smell book series.
I've had this title kicking around for awhile and finally picked it up. It was a good read, though the author gives herself away with the Boys of Empire thing. That's exactly what this is, a Biggles, Boy's Own Adventure serial story with a girl protagonist. But it made a mindless little popcorn read--crisp, light, airy and no substance at all. Very much along the lines of Wells and Wong.

Set in the years immediately before WW1, what took a star from the rating were the dreaded
Karen Barber
This first in The Sinclair's Mysteries series is certainly of a type, but for fans of Robin Stevens this is a must.
Our main character, Sophie Taylor, has not in the most auspicious of circumstances. Her mother died when Sophie was little, and her father has recently been killed at War. For reasons which are never fully explained, Sophie's home has been sold from under her and she is now responsible for herself. Sophie is clearly resourceful and has secured a position as a milliner's assistant in
Mariah Mead
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a fabulous read. I loved it. It was a mystery, obviously, but it had a dreamy feel to it unlike any other mystery I've read. The characters are most likeable and the whole idea of 'Sinclair's' (department store) was so... well, I don't know, just so exciting and perfect. I am giving this book five stars because it really deserves it. :)
Nina
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm a bit disappointed. :( I was expecting a much more interesting mystery. Still, this is a book for a younger audience, but I feel they also deserve better mystery books than this one. I liked the descriptions of the department store (everybody liked them as far as I can see from the other reviews), but a mystery book does not solely consists of great descriptions. I didn't like characters that much either. Sophie is rather without identity, Lil is a typical carefree gal, I didn't learn a thin ...more
Luna
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-authors
3.5 Stars

Sophie Taylor is an orphan, formally of good standing she is now working at Sinclair’s Department Store. The most famous department store in the world they say and it isn’t even open yet. Teased by the shop girls for being too high and mighty Sophie is glad when she finally makes not one friend but two. Lilian Rose one of the Captain Girls and Billy. Helping Billy out of trouble is what leads to Sophie being in trouble.

While Sophie is the main focus for most of the book the third-person
Melissa Souza
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cosy-mystery
A delightful read. I loved the characters and overall story. It was well paced and had many plot twists. I wasn't bored one bit. The writing was exceptional. The way Sinclair's was described was just beautiful. I also really loved the wonderful illustrations sprinkled throughout the book. I definitely recommend giving this book a shot. You won't regret it :)
Tammie
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read- June 2020 for the MakeYourMythTaker Readathon (Mercenary- Anticipated Read)
- I've owned this entire series for about two years and I just never picked it up but this year I discovered my love of middle grade mysteries so I just had to pick it up. I'm so annoyed I haven't read this before now, I adored it so much and it's for sure on par with the Murder Most Unladylike Series.
James
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely ADORED this book!

Will try and write a better review soon, but suffice to say READ IT! It's just so fantastic!
Mehsi
I just knew I would love this book. It had all the ingredients for me to love this book, and did I love it? Yes, yes I did. I loved it a lot, and I am delighted that this won't be the only book about Sophie and Lilian.

The book switches between Sophie, Lilian, Billy, Joe, but our main focus in the story is Sophie and Lilian. Joe only occasionally gets a part in the spotlight, Billy gets some more attention, but the 2 that speak the most are the girls. And what a delight it was to hear their voice
Jannah (Cloud Child)
A very fun romp which keeps me wanting more.
The characters were fun and the settinf was quite beautifully described. The only thing is there was a little bit of predictability to the plot and character stereotypes. But it was written well enough. I can see that the series will further the unexplained and resolve it in time and Im impatient to know more.

• Murder Most Unladylike (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #1)
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3)
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #5)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
  • Dead Man's Cove (Laura Marlin Mysteries, #1)
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • Cream Buns and Crime: A Murder Most Unladylike Collection, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5 (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • The Case of the Drowned Pearl: A Murder Most Unladylike Mini-Mystery: World Book Day 2020
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
  • The Lost Twin (Scarlet and Ivy #1)
  • Death Sets Sail (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries #9)
  • Black Cats and Butlers (Rose Raventhorpe Investigates, #1)
  • The London Eye Mystery (London Eye Mystery, #1)
  • The Case of the Blue Violet (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3.5)
  • The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly, #1)
  • The Guggenheim Mystery (London Eye Mystery, #2)
Katherine Woodfine is the author of the bestselling SINCLAIR'S MYSTERIES series, beginning with THE CLOCKWORK SPARROW which was shortlisted for the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize, longlisted for the Branford Boase Award, and nominated for the CILIP Carnegie Medal.

Until 2015 she worked for reading charity Book Trust on projects including the Children’s Laureate and YALC. She now combines writin

The Sinclair’s Mysteries (4 books)
  • The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #2)
  • The Mystery of the Painted Dragon (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #3)
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Peacock (The Sinclair's mysteries #4)