Start by marking “The Fungus” as Want to Read:
The Fungus

The Fungus

Strange, mushroom-like growths are appearing on peoples' bodies and doctors, puzzled by the strange virus that plants inhuman desires in the minds of victims, look for a cause and uncover a horrifying reality.
Unknown Binding, 218 pages
Published January 1st 1989 by Franklin Watts (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Fungus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fungus

Char
Mushrooms: I'll probably never eat one again! THE FUNGUS is a fast paced, funny and disgusting 80's horror story that contains everything you'd ever want from a fungi-based creature feature.

I recently read another book by this author, (two authors, really, using the pseudonym of Harry Adam Knight. Get it? HAK?), called SLIMER. I liked that one slightly more than this because there was no real science, just a fun, slimy, creature. In this narrative, we do have an attempt to be science-y, but not
Michael Hicks
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought, horror
The Fungus by Harry Adam Knight (a pen-name for collaborators John Brosnan and Roy Kettle) is a page-turner right from the get-go, wasting absolutely no time at all thrusting readers into the horror of a grandiose and apocalyptic plague. Knight hardly lets up on the rapid-fire pace, packing in plenty of mayhem, violence, and gore as the UK collapses quickly and totally.

As with Slimer, another Knight collaboration recently reissued by Valancourt alongside The Fungus, this is a story of science go
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
'The Fungus' is one of the 80's horror novels that had pretty much faded into obscurity only to come under the horror-loving public's eye again with the release of Grady Hendrix's Paperbacks from Hell. To the great delight of some of us - especially the ones that weren't old enough to be reading horror before they even knew they existed - Valancourt Books recently announced that it would begin re-releasing some of these novels. This is one of the first of the lot.

Permit me one of my rare moments
Seanan
Jun 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the books I read illicitly by sneaking into the adult section of the library when I was eleven years old. It haunted me into my adult life, until I found a copy of my own, and discovered that it was, in fact, awesome. If you like horrible mutant fungus devouring England, this is the book for you.
Dustin Reade
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I know this book is considered a work of "Pulp Horror", but it is damn scary. Something about it really creeped me out, and that has never actually happened to me before. Great descriptions.
Holly Lindquist
Fungus runs amok, takes over planet.. what more could you ask for? From Athlete's foot to mushrooms to slime molds, the poor humans are doomed to be consumed. Stupid but fun.
Wayne
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book, I feel like I have a degree in mycology. This was the second book I read by Knight and It was almost as good as Slimer. Almost. London is turned into a fuzzy fungus. Everything is effected. An ex-husband is sent in to find his wife who started the soft squishy nightmare.

This book would have been a great late night b-movie. It was a great read. A little heavy on the fungi talk. The end was well done. I'll be looking for more of Mr. Knights books.
Doug
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you take away one thing from this review, it is this: Valancourt is doing some dark god's good work. I mean, that's not going to show up anywhere else in the review but here, but it is so important to remember. Good on you, Valancourt.

As for the book itself, it is an ok combination of apocalyptic science/medical horror with good and squelchy body horror. Last things first, the body horror is...*smacks lips* perfect. I mean, sure, there have been upteen stories and books about folks getting f
Helen
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
My last read of 2018. And out it goes with a bang! Had a fun time with The Fungus. Lots of ewwww & ick throughout. Was lucky enough to grab the one & only copy that was available at the local library.
One thing for sure... this is one that can grow on ya ;)
Fishface
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was terrific! Old-style pulp horror with hardly a whiff of dramatic tension or character development; just a spongy, foul-smelling, fungous England crawling with killer mushrooms.
Thomas
Compared to the authors' previous book, Slimer, The Fungus is creepier and more effective. I think that has to do with their choice of horror for this novel. Before, it was a kind of ooze that could duplicate and mimic other people (how did I not realize they were ripping off The Thing before just now?), and it was so unrealistic it was easy to dismiss. Here, they focus on fast-growing, parasitic fungi to serve as their horror, even using real fungi as a basis, and they nailed it.

The characters
Eduardo
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent horror adventure novel! This is what I like!!!
Nate
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, valancourt
Absolutely fantastic sci-fi horror schlock. Impressed with the mycology and creative images. B movie glory abounds.
Barbara Bryant
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I could even have given this little book another star, but it probably doesn't deserve it, even though it was a fun read. As a librarian occasionally taxed with the need to weed and discard books, I came across this one, which hadn't been checked out in ten years. I am often drawn to these orphans who are about to be tossed, and there was a recommendation on the cover by author Clive Barker, so I brought it home with a little bundle of other about-to-be discarded books that looked interesting.

It
R.  Sydney
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: absolutely no one
Recommended to Sydney by: the devil
ugh. UGH. Have you ever been so frustrated with a book that you can't even make a coherent thought out of it? That's how I feel after reading this thing. And it's extra frustrating because the premise of the book is so good and it's a fun read, except for this, just, glaring disgusting aspect of the novel that I can't get over.

I'll give Harry Adam Knight (or, Josh Brosnan) this; he's really good at writing about mutated, out-of-control-strains of fungus. He's really good at painting this new, al
Eric
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
There's fun and trashy, and then there's insulting, misogynistic trashy, full of unlikable, relentlessly horny idiots. Guess where this book falls. While I respect the research into mycology that obviously took place before writing this book, it does not redeem the unpleasantness of the rest of it. I very grudgingly gave it two stars for effort.
Anne
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1992
Ought to be in the SciFi rather than the Fiction section of the library. Part of the “man-interferes-with-nature-and-nature-runs-amok” genre. Certain passages definitely rated NC-17. Not to be read when suffering from any sort of fungal infection!
Alex
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is somehow even more atrocious than I assumed it was going to be, for better and for worse.
Mike
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Straight up fun read, in an 80's style Creature Feature kind of way. Great stuff when you are in the mood for that kind of horror fiction.
Michael
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror, 2018
What a deliciously disgusting little book. So much pulpy fun. You'll never look at a mushroom pizza the same way again.
Mike Lazur
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun, enjoyable read.
Chantal Pearce
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible journey fantastic!
Dave Blewer
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is a bit of a blast from the past, which I read in my long-ago youth. It's not as good as I remember, but is still readable. Genetic scientists create an enzyme which makes fungus grow to gigantic proportions and in a few short weeks Britain in a fungoid forest inhabited by mutants in a symbiotic/parasitic relationship with their particular athlete's feet/yeast infections/beer bellies. A desperate mission is launched into the heart of this wasteland in an attempt to find the cause of it all ...more
Ishmael Aerych
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Mediocre.

The characters had a very clear objective, but it was a plot point and didn't say much about people in general; the contrary, it reminded me of the fauna/flora descriptions you might see in a Verne novel.

My largest issue is that I didn't really connect to any of the characters. When they died, it was a case of "oh well" and the story went on without them.

From a noncritical standpoint, the pluses were the information about fungus (more than I ever hoped to learn), the brief spurts of act
Aura
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
An odd oldie with bizarre protagonists that could not hope to cross into the third dimension. The portrayed world, however, and the fungus problem, were very intriguing. Glad the book was so short though because by the end of it, I had enough of the fungus. The landscape has been conjured, the details were good and the book was a novella. End of.
-----------------------------------------------
I have just checked the author only to find out that this is in fact John Brosnan. I knew that the fungus
Brittney Colburn-Donovan
The story gets somewhat lazy and rushed as sometimes happens, and one suspects that the authors deadline was quickly approaching as the last half of the book was written. It has an amazing premise and Could have been a phenomenal tale had a bit more effort been put into it. It would make a striking movie if the main gist of the story was put into a screenplay and the story was tweaked over all. My be Tim Burton should think about that...lol ;)
Monica Willyard Moen
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nls, science-fiction
This book is disgusting. The plot is quite predictable, and that's the good part of the book. The sex scenes are brutal, degrading to women, and are usually interlaced with violence. Most of the characters are unlikeable, self-centered, and are painted as being expendible. The information about various types of fungus is interesting, and that's why this book didn't get a 1 star rating.
Brian
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Actually a pretty fun and decent novel, but some of the writing seems contrived and most of the characters were not well developed.
Sławek Karwasz
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, kindle
Eko horror :) Podstawa do the last of us.
10 Tips For Toenail Fungus Prevention and Removal 1 1 Aug 24, 2018 12:28AM

• The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories: Volume One
  • Dead in the Water
  • Demons and Other Inconveniences
Pseudonym of John Brosnan

John Raymond Brosnan was an Australian writer of both fiction and non-fiction works based around the fantasy and science fiction genres. He was born in Perth, Western Australia, and died in South Harrow, London, from acute pancreatitis. He sometimes published under the pseudonyms Harry Adam Knight, Simon Ian Childer (both sometimes used together with Leroy Kettle), James