Start by marking “Depth” as Want to Read:
Depth

Depth

In a post-apocalyptic flooded New York City, a private investigators routine surveillance case leads to a treasure everyone wants to findand someone is willing to kill for.

Published April 28th 2015 by Regan Arts.

To ask other readers questions about Depth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Depth

Start your review of Depth
carol.
If youll forgive the pun, Im a bit out of my depth here. How do I describe a book that only took me two sittings to finish but has a fair bit that needs shoring up?

Simone is a private detective tailing Henry St. Michel, a balding, dumpy, fifty-something importer/exporter whose rich wife Linnea suspects of having an affair. She might be right; Simone has tailed him to an expensive restaurant where he meets an attractive blonde. Heavy fog and a personal phone call prevent her from getting many
Jeffrey
As a result of the massive hurricanes that have hit New York City recently, Amtrak's trains tunnels were damaged by flooding, subways were impacted and the lower reaches of Manhattan were imperiled. Where New York City political establishment had thought that just closing the subways would be enough to prevent problems, it is now weighing more drastic actions to stop the next tidal surge.

In Lev A.C. Rosen's new novel Depth, he imagines a Noahian flood caused by global warming, that sweeps away
Caleb Hill
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Why is it always a blonde?

About once a year there comes along a book that irks me for a strong reason. A very strong reason. It might be the authors vast credentials that appear to have been squandered, the inability to push the genre when it wishes to do so badly, or just the piss poor writing quality. Lev Rosens Depth manages to hit all three and keep trucking.

The ice caps have melted, bringing rising sea levels to humanitys door front. New York City as we know it is gone, sunken all the way
Koeur
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Publisher: Regan Arts

Publishing Date: April 2015

ISBN: 9781941393079

Genre: SciFi

Rating: 4.6/5

Publisher Description: Depth combines hardboiled mystery and dystopian science fiction in a future where the rising ocean levels have left New York twenty-one stories under water and cut off from the rest of the United States. But the city survives, and Simone Pierce is one of its best private investigators. Her latest case, running surveillance on a potentially
Emily
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the setting for this mystery-a New York City far in the future, a city that is now an archipelago of its skyscrapers' highest floors, since a massive flood wiped out the east coast all the way to Chicago. Anything below 21 stories is covered in water, and the residents have adapted to become a city of boats and bridges, surrounded by looming sea and storms.
It's equal parts scifi and mystery, and the author seamlessly weaves in and out of both genres. I don't know if the science measured
Kate
An intriguing dystopia set in a flooded NYC. Refreshingly, this isn't a society that's collapsed, just changed - albeit not for the best. Life - and murder - continues. Interesting heroine, friends and worldbuilding, slightly let down by the predictable whodunnit plot. 3.5 stars.

Charles
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was recommended to me after I reviewed New York 2140 (my review) by Kim Stanley Robinson. Robinson is the doyen of Cly-Fi, but his book was published two (2) years after Depth. Both stories have a setting of a Venice-like New York City as the result of sea level rise. Both have a private-eye/detective element.

Depth is a mashup of hard-boiled fiction with a: future history, Cly-fi and gender-swap spin.

Writing is workmanlike. Descriptive prose is better than dialog. I can see where
Lisa Wolf
Some two hundred years from now, the polar ice caps have long since melted. Chicago is on the coastline of mainland United States, which is ruled by a fundamentalist Christian government. Moving east, you'll find the Appalachian Islands, and then huge expanses of ocean covering the drowned cities, where tips of building occasionally poke up from the waves.

And then there's New York which, Depth makes clear, can survive anything.

Water levels have risen about 20 stories -- so the million or so
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Depth by Lev AC Rosen is a recommended detective novel set in a future NYC. Simone Pierce is a private investigator who, when the story opens, is "on the roof of a twenty-four-story building, so the ocean lay four stories down, churning just below the twenty-first floor. The fog was thick, but she could hear the waves lapping at the other buildings around her, and the worn wooden bridges that connected them to one another and to the permanently moored boats that made up New York City. New York, ...more
Tabitha
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from netgalley and Regan arts forever ago, during a time when I over-requested and found myself swamped with too many books and not enough time! But better late than never, right? And I'm glad I finally got around to it because this was probably one of my better asks-- I loved this book.

I guess I'll start with why I wanted to read Depth in the first place. For whatever reason the idea of underwater drama, sunken cities, oceans taking over, etc has always appealed
Michael Hookey
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Awkward imitations of immortal noir writers lead to far too many things doing things like things that would never do those things. Hair blows in the breeze like ink. Lips part like switchblades. Lights previously described as dull shine much brighter than they were ever said to be much later just so they can be stars.

Speaking of lights, they are the blinking green lights on algae generators. You will read much about them. If I had to guess, I'd say they are described in every chapter. Also
Dare Talvitie
Depth had an idea that really interested me, but sadly enough, fell prey to two problems that happen to annoy me personally. One is setting-related, the other technical (there's also a third one that could be said to be a thematic misunderstanding, but it's really minor). Mostly the problems stem from reading the novel as a semi-hard sci-fi story, so they won't be annoyances for everyone.

First: the setting feels terribly unbelievable. I kept trying to think about how the state of the world got
Heather Duff
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I could have quite happily have read this book without the mystery in it!

The setting of this novel is just phenomenal and I did not tire reading about it, Depth is set in a New York of the future, a New York where the water level has risen and not just a couple of feet.

The ocean has turned New York in to an island, cut off from the mainland, the water has risen up and covers everything below 21 stories. New Yorkers are nothing but resilient and they continue to thrive above the water line
Jesse
Ehh, I can't really point to why I didn't like this book. I started off liking it but grew bored towards the end. It is a pretty straight forward detective story, but crossed with science fiction as it is set in a New York City ~200 years in the future, where all the ice is melted so only the skyscrapers above 20 stories are visible above the ocean. Pretty interesting setting that kind of bugged me since the science details seemed off, but when I did some google searches, the 200 foot water rise ...more
Rusty
I feel sorry for this book. It had the unfortunate honor of following the Expanse novels I just finished. So it ended up taking me two weeks or so to slog through what was really a pretty short novel. It hit all the right marks, I love me a mystery, I love me a detective novel, and I love me a science fiction tale.

It was pretty well done by most counts. The writing was fine, the plot was good enough that I didn't know who the murderer was until it was revealed (Although, if I'm being honest, I
Amanda Steinhoff
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2015
This is without a doubt my favorite new book of the year. Part scifi, part noir, it has everything you love about a classic detective story, only the hero is actually a heroine, Simone Pierce, PI. And the gritty backdrop is not your typical urban setting, but a futuristic New York where the ice caps have melted, flooding the planet, and NYC has been patched together from the remaining above water skyscrapers and an elaborate system of bridges and boats.

Simone is tough and sexy. She's a hot chick
Lisa
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: big-idea
So I read this in the midst of a row of excellent books and it was still good, but not my favorite. Which makes sense since I do not normally read noir books and this a post-disaster noir book. I might have rated it higher if I hadn't been "reading" this while I was working and it had my full attention. I suspect half of the genre's charm is the mood it creates.

The idea is that a PI solves a mystery (a murder, naturally) in the middle of a Manhatten that has been half-buried under the waves.
Anissa
I've had this on my TBR list for quite some time so I am glad to have finally got around to reading it. That said, it's a short book that took me far longer than it should have because I just didn't find the mystery all that compelling (something that surprised me because the summary really sounded promising). My favorite thing about this was the setting which I still want to know more about. I don't know if I'd recommend this one for mystery fans as it's pretty bland on that level. I would read ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, audio-book
This is a interesting mystery set in a

New York that has flooded as the water around the world got higher. Now people live on the top floor of building that are flooded in the lower floors. Simone Pierce is a complex and interesting character. A Private Eye in New York she starts on a case that seems simple and just gets more and more complex. There is betrayal, theft, murder and a hunt for the unusual. Great characters and a nice mystery. There are issues of friendship and trust added to the
Charles
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I gave this four stars because it was beautifully written. The details required scientific, artistic, and metaphorical description. I had to finish it to find out whodunnit. Unfortunately, there were too many loosely scrupulous and kind of faceless detectives who could not really be trusted. The majority of the detail in this novel craftily captured the surroundings of 23rd Century ocean-submerged Manhattan and the physical struggles that our protagonist encountered. I had a great sense of the ...more
Karina
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a New Yorker who lives by the East River (I'm always checking the water levels in the river to see how much longer our building will exist), I really enjoyed DEPTH. Rosen's description of the salty air, waves tumbling against buildings, the bridges that connect the city, the various neighborhoods, and the perpetual fog had me so immersed in the story that I expected to look out of our apartment and see the ocean lapping against the windows. I thought this was a great read and stayed up way ...more
C. Scott Kippen
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
A run-of-the-mill mystery with a unique setting. If the post ice-caps melted world (everyone live in-land) or up on the 21st floor or higher in New York, was not in this book, it would have been completely forgettable. The mystery, is forgettable and predictable with a resolution that you can see coming a mile away (maybe not whodunit, but the final resolution).
Jeff Raymond
Jun 17, 2015 marked it as unfinished-reads
Shelves: unfinished-2015
I get what Rosen is doing here, and as a sort of sci-fi noir, I think it works. It just felt off-putting in too many regards, and it's not really the type of thing I enjoy reading. After getting through 70 pages and finding myself rolling my eyes a bit due solely to my own preferences, I'm putting this aside.

It's not you, it's me.
Milo (BOK)
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty awesome book, a well written futuristic noir dystopia. I keep saying I'm tired of the dystopian genre but then books like Depth remind me why there's so much potential fun to be had with it.
Bill
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
A decent detective novel even if the futuristic world setting and devices leaves you scratching your head at times. The ending is a little unsatisfying but I would read the author's next novel.
✩Anna✩
3.5 stars. Great world-building, and I loved the mystery. But full of some really flat characters that I wasn't at all interested in.
Scooby Doo
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The unique setting kept me reading, but I was repeatedly jarred by the juxtaposition of dark or tragic plot elements and the somewhat breezy style in which the story unfolded, especially towards the end. Despite her "noir" past, the protagonist kept tossing off humorous quips that I enjoyed but didn't mesh with the more gritty aspects of the story.
Another incongruity was the detective's mantra of "Don't make assumptions" but then the plot would unfold with these huge leaps that far exceeded
Tribestar
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I've not read a whodunit in a long time, but I really enjoyed this. It had solid, clear world-building, playing on all your senses with the feel of ocean spray and vertigo from a rickety bridge, the sights, sounds and smells of the street vendors, cigarette smoke and neon lights.
It fell a little flat in places, but most of the characters had distinctive enough personalities and flaws to be individuals.
There were a few jarring spelling and grammar errors that a good edit should have caught.
Shea Joy
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Depth," by Lev AC Rosen, was a lot of fun to read. In a post-apocalyptic world, apparently due to climate change, which caused massive flooding, a detective solves murders and theft of artwork. New York is an island (inclusive and quirky), separated by more than distance from mainland U.S. (Far right religious government), where buildings are submerged below the 22nd floor. Buildings are connected by bridges, some in better condition than others, but it is a wet, wet world. Rosen's concept is ...more
Annie Stenzel
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This was just what I needed (I had to step away from a more challenging book and just Escape) and I found it good enough for entertainment purposes: a SciFi/post-apocalypse twist on the detective story with a strong female protagonist and an interesting setting. As often happens these days, however, I was annoyed by gratuitous grammatical blunders. Don't authors have ANY friends who can read their books and catch this sort of thing?
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • The Dragon Egg Princess
  • Kim & Kim Vol. 1 (Kim & Kim #1-4)
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • Alien Nate
  • Goldilocks
  • Black Widow: Forever Red (Black Widow, #1)
  • Nebula (2020) #1 (of 5)
  • An American Bride in Kabul
  • Brain Wave
  • All Boys Aren't Blue
  • Weekend Dad
  • Sia Martinez and the Moonlit Beginning of Everything
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • Carpet Diem
  • Join
  • Oceanworlds
  • The Apathy Engine
LEV AC ROSEN is the author of books for all ages. Two for adults: All Men of Genius (Amazon Best of the Month, Audie Award Finalist) and Depth (Amazon Best of the Year, Shamus Award Finalist, Kirkus Best Science Fiction for April). Two middle-grade books: Woundabout (illustrated by his brother, Ellis Rosen), and The Memory Wall. His first Young Adult Novel, Jack of Hearts (and other parts) is ...more